BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-13 10:38 PM
in reply to: #2283025

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
ashort33 - 2009-07-13 10:19 PM

BTW, John does not get off the hook for this weekend's ride in Katy!  I still plan on throwing down the century...

glad you are ok!   but ugh!  i'm down for at least the 55.

wow.  on top of another page.  i think page top analysis for the mg may be on the research agenda for this week.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-07-13 10:40 PM

2009-07-13 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Do you do any actual work?

2009-07-14 6:04 AM

User image

Suzy, that's the set up for my bottle.....I only use it on longer races.
First race with it I didn't use the yellow sponge....and lost the top trying to fill it up while riding (had never practiced).
I did stay cool with the constant drizzle on my face on the bumpy stretch of that race.  Surprised 

Oh, and my bike stays in our guest room until we have guests, then it moves to my office.

Edited by Havin'Fun 2009-07-14 6:07 AM
2009-07-14 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2282771

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
dalessit - 2009-07-13 8:51 PM
TrevorC - 2009-07-13 9:35 PM
dalessit - 2009-07-13 6:28 PM I think that looks right, hard to tell though from this angle.  One end of the bottle should be pointy the other is round.

You can also pick up a mount so it is a bit cleaner than the rubber bands, which after a few races get brittle and break.

Also, what is all that mess in the background, is your bike stored out in the garage?

Where do you store your bike Tony? You guys have a spare bedroom for yours?

Actually our bikes and stuff are stored in our once formal front room... now bike room.

I'm just lucky the Planet X didn't replace me in our bed!

2009-07-14 7:50 AM

User image

Finally catching up with all the race reports from the weekend....man you guys were awesome!

Suzy - does the posium get boring after so many top 3 finishes????
Tracy - man I'd give up a run plus some to get a bike time/speed like you put put there.
Doug - Great job, even though you didn't wear your favorite shoes.  
Jeremy - you are one fast dude...that sub 18 is yours!
Andy - awesome job on the swim and bike!  That run will come.  5 min PR is totally awesome!
Roni - I love that you had fun running the marathon....not many people can say that 

Janet....I can't find your race 

Hope I didn't miss anyone.   

2009-07-14 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Andy, sorry to hear about the road rash on the palms.  Cuts on the hands have to be the most painful things. And good for you for keeping up the challenge on John this weekend.  I fully expect you to drag his mouth around for 100 miles.  Kiss

Suzy, I think the volume you loose from the sponge being in the bottle is comporable the amount that would be splashed out without it.  Looks good.

I did my fastest mile ever last night. My Doug (not the BT MG DOUG) went with me on my run and helped me pick up the pace. For the last mile we pushed it and I discovered that if I increase my cadance, not lengthen my stride, I can last much longer at a higher speed.  But after a while I felt like one of those windup toys that stutter accross the table with feet going a million miles a minute.  Guess it is just a new feeling to get use to. But to be honest, I would run backwards on my hands if it meant I could go faster, regardless of how it looked 

2009-07-14 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2283765

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

tahrens - 2009-07-14 9:06 AM

Andy, sorry to hear about the road rash on the palms.  Cuts on the hands have to be the most painful things. And good for you for keeping up the challenge on John this weekend.  I fully expect you to drag his mouth around for 100 miles.  Kiss

Suzy, I think the volume you loose from the sponge being in the bottle is comporable the amount that would be splashed out without it.  Looks good.

I did my fastest mile ever last night. My Doug (not the BT MG DOUG) went with me on my run and helped me pick up the pace. For the last mile we pushed it and I discovered that if I increase my cadance, not lengthen my stride, I can last much longer at a higher speed.  But after a while I felt like one of those windup toys that stutter accross the table with feet going a million miles a minute.  Guess it is just a new feeling to get use to. But to be honest, I would run backwards on my hands if it meant I could go faster, regardless of how it looked 

WOW, I think John is getting called out...

BTW - did you beat Doug (MG Doug) on the swim???

2009-07-14 9:58 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hey Good morning all.....Was reading about the Calgary 70.3 which is happening August 2nd. Its the first official 70.3 in Canada. Craig Alexander is coming up for it. So that's pretty cool. I'm trying to convince my wife I need to stat in town and volunteer for it. She wants to go up to the cabin as its a long weekend up here. We'll see who wins. I know I'll enjoy the cabin!!
2009-07-14 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2283984

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
TrevorC - 2009-07-14 7:58 AM Hey Good morning all.....Was reading about the Calgary 70.3 which is happening August 2nd. Its the first official 70.3 in Canada. Craig Alexander is coming up for it. So that's pretty cool. I'm trying to convince my wife I need to stat in town and volunteer for it. She wants to go up to the cabin as its a long weekend up here. We'll see who wins. I know I'll enjoy the cabin!!

Volunteering at a race is a great thing!  It makes you realize how much goes into a race.  I suggest being a finish line catcher!  It is an absolute blast.
2009-07-14 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2283507

User image

Expert
Missouri

Havin'Fun - 2009-07-14 7:50 AM Finally catching up with all the race reports from the weekend....man you guys were awesome!

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to put up a RR yet.  Our internet connection at home went on the fritz this weekend and yesterday was crazy-busy at work.  Hopefully I can get it up this afternoon.  I was hoping to get my official time also - they haven't posted them yet.  It was a fun race, but crowded and hot. 

Question for you guys - do you wear biking gloves?  I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me to buy a pair.  I don't do long distances (I can see how they might help for long rides), but my hands, especially my palms, bother me even on short rides.  Is it just a matter of me getting used to having my hands in a different position or would the gloves help? 

OK, going to try to get caught up with some RR's from the weekend - work has slowed down a little today so I have some time to catch upSmile.
Janet

2009-07-14 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2284058

User image

Elite
Raleigh
soccermom15 - 2009-07-14 10:18 AM

Havin'Fun - 2009-07-14 7:50 AM Finally catching up with all the race reports from the weekend....man you guys were awesome!

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to put up a RR yet.  Our internet connection at home went on the fritz this weekend and yesterday was crazy-busy at work.  Hopefully I can get it up this afternoon.  I was hoping to get my official time also - they haven't posted them yet.  It was a fun race, but crowded and hot. 

Question for you guys - do you wear biking gloves?  I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me to buy a pair.  I don't do long distances (I can see how they might help for long rides), but my hands, especially my palms, bother me even on short rides.  Is it just a matter of me getting used to having my hands in a different position or would the gloves help? 

OK, going to try to get caught up with some RR's from the weekend - work has slowed down a little today so I have some time to catch upSmile .
Janet

Janet:

For short rides gloves are not necessary. If your hands are hurting on these rides it may mean you need to ride more to get used to your position, or it may mean that your bike fit needs adjusting. Too much weight on your hands can cause excess wear and/or numbness.

2009-07-14 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2284111

User image

Expert
B'ham

DougRob - 2009-07-14 8:30 AM
soccermom15 - 2009-07-14 10:18 AM

OK, going to try to get caught up with some RR's from the weekend - work has slowed down a little today so I have some time to catch upSmile .
Janet

Janet:

For short rides gloves are not necessary. If your hands are hurting on these rides it may mean you need to ride more to get used to your position, or it may mean that your bike fit needs adjusting. Too much weight on your hands can cause excess wear and/or numbness.

Hi Janet,  I noticed my hands stopped hurting after I started going to a spin class that had 10 minutes of dedicated core work.  As my core got stronger, I didn't need to prop myself up on the bike as much, so my hand did not hurt.

2009-07-14 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2284058

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
soccermom15 - 2009-07-14 9:18 AM

OK, going to try to get caught up with some RR's from the weekend - work has slowed down a little today so I have some time to catch upSmile.
Janet

I'm going to take the other side...They do help. You can buy a pair for quite cheap I bet as well. I say if you need 'em, buy 'em.  Doug & Matt are hardcore boys, you are a dainty lady. You don't want calluses wrecking those pretty hands of yours!!Wink
2009-07-14 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2284217

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TrevorC - 2009-07-14 10:59 AM

Janet

I'm going to take the other side...They do help. You can buy a pair for quite cheap I bet as well. I say if you need 'em, buy 'em.  Doug & Matt are hardcore boys, you are a dainty lady. You don't want calluses wrecking those pretty hands of yours!!Wink

Two things - there is a gel pad that is contoured to your handlebars that you put on under your handlebar tape - that might help some.  Several different companies make them.  I have them on my bike and the help.  Second - if it works for you to use them, then by all means use them.  i would just practice some without them because you are not going to want to spend time in transition fooling with getting them on an off.

2009-07-14 11:22 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
No gloves for me Janet, but I see plenty of folks wearing them.  Whatever you are comfortable in.

Andy, called out by that guy.   ppppfffffffftttttt.  

Trevor, definitely volunteer.  And then find a kids race and volunteer there.  See which you like better. Wink Sorry you won't get to meet my better half, next trip.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-07-14 11:25 AM
2009-07-14 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2284217

User image

Elite
Raleigh
TrevorC - 2009-07-14 10:59 AM

Janet

This is the first year I have biked without gloves. I have used them for YEARS. I see no reason not to use them on training rides if you find you need them. Besides they help you wipe your nose! But as was said, they are just one more thing in transition. That being said, strengthening your core and/or adjusting your fit should eliminate your hand issues.

2009-07-14 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2283858

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
ashort33 - 2009-07-14 10:33 AM

WOW, I think John is getting called out...

BTW - did you beat Doug (MG Doug) on the swim???

No I didn't beat anyone named Doug Frown  I was racing my hubby Doug but his time was 18:25.  MG Doug swam a 19:25 and I swam a 20:56.   Some day maybe.  Speaking of the swim though, there was a guy that was pulled out of the water within the first 100 yds in the wave right before my husband and it turns out I know one of the people who stopped their swim to help get the struggling swimmer over to the kayaks.  I thought that was very cool of them!

Janet, I use bike gloves all the time. They help with the extra padding, sweat absorption, and the thumb fabric makes a great kleenex.  I typically don't wear then for sprint races but it is totally your choice.  Sometimes a few extra seconds in transition makes for a much better performance out on the roads and is therefore completely worth it.  My only advise is to remove your rings with stones before wearing the gloves.  My wedding diamond would poke through the vent holes in the gloves and pinch my fingers.

2009-07-14 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2282498

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

SSMinnow - 2009-07-13 8:12 PM Warning, stupid girl question coming.  In my quest for perfect hydration, I am trying yet another bottle design.  Did I hook it on right?  It came with NO directions.

As long as it stays on and you can drink from it it's OK.

2009-07-14 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Tracy congrats on the new PB for your run. I agree with you aon increasing cadaence. Over the last couple of weeks I have found that my knees don't hurt if I increase cadence instead of trying to extend my stride. I amy have been trying for too long a stide and putting too much pr4essure on the kness in landing.

Suzy keep the yellow thingy in the bottle. It helps stops splashiing when riding or leaking out when the bike is laying on its side when fixing a flat

2009-07-14 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2283765

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Yep, you learned a very valuable thing last night.  A higher turnover will not only quicken your pace, but it will also be easier on the body.  You eliminate the breaking effect of overstriding and spend less time in contact with the ground.  All benefical things.  Nice Job!!!

My ride today went really well.  The biggest bright spot was nutrition.  I used a highly concentrated Perpeteum  paste and sipped it along with H20.  Took in a full 500 calories and 50oz of H20 over the 67m which is huge for me.  Probably not enough calories as I was feeling a little light and hungry, but it is so much better than the prior long ride.  I am tickled!  The new bottle worked well although it splashes all over hell.  I didn't see this note so didn't use the sponge.  Thank God is was only water. I would hate to have my bike all sticky!
2009-07-14 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2284520

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-07-14 12:34 PM

My ride today went really well.  The biggest bright spot was nutrition.  I used a highly concentrated Perpeteum  paste and sipped it along with H20.  Took in a full 500 calories and 50oz of H20 over the 67m which is huge for me.  Probably not enough calories as I was feeling a little light and hungry, but it is so much better than the prior long ride.  I am tickled!  The new bottle worked well although it splashes all over hell.  I didn't see this note so didn't use the sponge.  Thank God is was only water. I would hate to have my bike all sticky!

Thats great that you are nailing the nutrition down.  I have the same bottle.   Throw that sponge in there and you'll be all set.

2009-07-14 1:47 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I hesitated writing this earlier, but then I rationalized we all have thighs and groins so I am putting this question out in all seriousness.  I need a solution to eliminate chafing in that area.  I use BodyGlide and on longer rides it is not cutting the mustard.  Does anyone have this issue? how in the heck do you deal with it?
2009-07-14 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2284520

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Cool
SSMinnow - 2009-07-14 11:34 AM

Yep, you learned a very valuable thing last night.  A higher turnover will not only quicken your pace, but it will also be easier on the body.  You eliminate the breaking effect of overstriding and spend less time in contact with the ground.  All benefical things.  Nice Job!!!

I went for a quick 5k at lunch and tried it as well. It does feel a little funny, but I can definitely see the benefits of shortening the stride. we'll see how it works this weekend for me in my Oly. Then I'll be able to see in the words of Tracy.."I can last much longer at a higher speed."

And John , Top of the page again!!! nice work kid.
2009-07-14 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2284723

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-07-14 12:47 PM I hesitated writing this earlier, but then I rationalized we all have thighs and groins so I am putting this question out in all seriousness.  I need a solution to eliminate chafing in that area.  I use BodyGlide and on longer rides it is not cutting the mustard.  Does anyone have this issue? how in the heck do you deal with it?

I think Its called Chamois Butter. Supposed to work great. See I can be serious.Wink 
2009-07-14 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2284729

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TrevorC - 2009-07-14 1:50 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-14 12:47 PM I hesitated writing this earlier, but then I rationalized we all have thighs and groins so I am putting this question out in all seriousness.  I need a solution to eliminate chafing in that area.  I use BodyGlide and on longer rides it is not cutting the mustard.  Does anyone have this issue? how in the heck do you deal with it?

I think Its called Chamois Butter. Supposed to work great. See I can be serious.Wink 

Use the same stuff on Tony's advice.  Works great!  No rubbing, no chaffing!  There are several other brands.  I think some even use aquaphor...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383