BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-08-08 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3633848

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
gdale - 2011-08-08 9:13 AM

Is the stock market making anyone else miserable?!?!?!  What a mess!

Ah man. My company hit a high of 47.27 back in MARCH. currently at 30.68. Dow is going to be back below 11k soon.

On the plus side, Canadians will soon own the majority of Nevada, Arizona and Florida!

2011-08-08 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3634133

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
TrevorC - 2011-08-08 1:12 PM

Ah man. My company hit a high of 47.27 back in MARCH. currently at 30.68. Dow is going to be back below 11k soon.

On the plus side, Canadians will soon own the majority of Nevada, Arizona and Florida!

It would be nice if you Canucks could come into NY, we need some more people to tax around here.

2011-08-08 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3634198

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
gdale - 2011-08-08 11:39 AM

It would be nice if you Canucks could come into NY, we need some more people to tax around here.

That is what people are worried about now. All the US needs to do is start taxing the crap out of Canadians/foreigners who own property down there and BOOM. 

2011-08-08 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3634064

User image

Elite
Raleigh
swbkrun - 2011-08-08 12:40 PM
DougRob - 2011-08-07 11:00 AM

Up at Lake Gaston, NC. Rode 54 miles in 3 hours today. Had no zip in my legs.

That is good... I don't know if I could bike 54 miles that fast with "zip" in my legs... You should be happy about this?  NOo?

I am NOT unhappy. It is just that the other riders were so much faster and fresher. I did not hydrate/take in enough salt and suffered at the house from 3-9 PM with various cramps. Shoulderblades are still weary. I have 2 more 3 hours rides this week in addition to tomorrow's 1 hour ride.

The swimming in the lake is the best in this heat.

2011-08-08 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Extreme Veteran

Update from the weekend (apologies if it is too long or boring):

Rode the Pan Mass Challenge – 85 miles on Saturday and 75 miles on Sunday. 

It is truly an amazing event.  They raised $35 million this year for cancer research.  And every cent of the fundraising goes to the research at the Dana Farber, a major cancer center that is devoted to research on children’s cancer.  Everything for the ride – including all the support, rest stops, etc. – is donated.  Everything.  And that includes the salaries and overhead of the full time staff that oversees it.  Just amazing.

There were something like 6000 riders – many starting from Sturbridge, others like me starting from Wellesley.  All of them met up in Bourne (at the edge of Cape Cod).  There were 5 supported rest stops on the 85 miles on the first day.  The most compelling rest stop was the second to last.  It was filled with kids who had battled cancer, and they were holding signs saying “Thank you.  Because of you, I have lived 4 5 6 years.”  And everywhere along the route, there were folks sitting out on lawn chairs for hours ringing cow bells and clapping for all the riders.  Every intersection had cops stationed to block traffic to allow the riders through, and everyone was unbelievably supportive along the whole ride.    

The organization is astounding.  For the 6000 riders, there were 4000 volunteers.  Proof of the incredible organization was the fact that the accommodations in Bourne were at the Mass Maritime Academy.  At the start of your ride in either Sturbridge or Wellesley, you gave the PMC volunteers your bag of clothes for Saturday night.  When you rode into the Mass Maritime Academy, they scanned in your bike and took your bike to the bike parking area.  They told you what your room was in the MMA dorms, and when you went there, your bag was waiting for you on the bed. 

Ride was great.  It was a real confidence builder for me for IM FL in November.  I kept my power level steady at an endurance pace for the first 75 miles on Sat. riding with my friends and then sort of did a 10 mile time trial at the end to really push myself.  After the ride, I did a 1.75 mile run just to get a sense of the transition.  (It was painful, but manageable.)  At the end of the ride, I dove into the ocean and relaxed, which is just what I needed.  While I was in the water, my inner thighs seized up.  I am attributing that to not being sufficiently hydrated, which is something I continue to need to focus on.  Overall I averaged 171 watts 19.4 mph on the ride on Sat and 182 watts 18.8 mph on the ride back on Sunday.   (Wellesley is at a slightly higher elevation than Bourne, so more hills on the way home than the way out.)

I am SO glad I did the ride – because of the cause, because of the people I got to ride with, and because of the confidence boost it gave me.

2011-08-08 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3634235

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
TrevorC - 2011-08-08 1:54 PM
gdale - 2011-08-08 11:39 AM

That is what people are worried about now. All the US needs to do is start taxing the crap out of Canadians/foreigners who own property down there and BOOM. 

I just texted our senators...they are all over that!

2011-08-08 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3634269

User image

Master
Maryland
Tobey91 - 2011-08-08 2:20 PM

It is truly an amazing event.  They raised $35 million this year for cancer research.  And every cent of the fundraising goes to the research at the Dana Farber, a major cancer center that is devoted to research on children’s cancer.  Everything for the ride – including all the support, rest stops, etc. – is donated.  Everything.  And that includes the salaries and overhead of the full time staff that oversees it.  Just amazing.

There were something like 6000 riders – many starting from Sturbridge, others like me starting from Wellesley.  All of them met up in Bourne (at the edge of Cape Cod).  There were 5 supported rest stops on the 85 miles on the first day.  The most compelling rest stop was the second to last.  It was filled with kids who had battled cancer, and they were holding signs saying “Thank you.  Because of you, I have lived 4 5 6 years.”  And everywhere along the route, there were folks sitting out on lawn chairs for hours ringing cow bells and clapping for all the riders.  Every intersection had cops stationed to block traffic to allow the riders through, and everyone was unbelievably supportive along the whole ride.    

The organization is astounding.  For the 6000 riders, there were 4000 volunteers.  Proof of the incredible organization was the fact that the accommodations in Bourne were at the Mass Maritime Academy.  At the start of your ride in either Sturbridge or Wellesley, you gave the PMC volunteers your bag of clothes for Saturday night.  When you rode into the Mass Maritime Academy, they scanned in your bike and took your bike to the bike parking area.  They told you what your room was in the MMA dorms, and when you went there, your bag was waiting for you on the bed. 

Ride was great.  It was a real confidence builder for me for IM FL in November.  I kept my power level steady at an endurance pace for the first 75 miles on Sat. riding with my friends and then sort of did a 10 mile time trial at the end to really push myself.  After the ride, I did a 1.75 mile run just to get a sense of the transition.  (It was painful, but manageable.)  At the end of the ride, I dove into the ocean and relaxed, which is just what I needed.  While I was in the water, my inner thighs seized up.  I am attributing that to not being sufficiently hydrated, which is something I continue to need to focus on.  Overall I averaged 171 watts 19.4 mph on the ride on Sat and 182 watts 18.8 mph on the ride back on Sunday.   (Wellesley is at a slightly higher elevation than Bourne, so more hills on the way home than the way out.)

I am SO glad I did the ride – because of the cause, because of the people I got to ride with, and because of the confidence boost it gave me.

Tobey,that is awesome you did this ride!! It sounds like a ride everyone would love to do, especially for the cause. Great job and thanks for sharing...wish I could have done it too: )

2011-08-08 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Sounds awesome.  Great experience and an even better cause!

2011-08-08 4:44 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

I don't have a RR written yet, but I did my "long" sprint last Saturday.  This was my 2nd race.  It was a 800yd swim, 17.1mi. bike, and a 5.1 mi. run.  I felt really really good about the swim! Laughing  Mostly because I didn't have any anxiety and was relaxed throughout (even without a wetsuit!).  My bike average was a little faster than my first race, so I was content with that too.  It was the run that got me.  I just couldn't find the "go" button and kept finding myself walking.  I finished in 2:27:00 and had told myself that anything under 2:30:00 was good. Anybody have any good first-season stories that you want to share for inspiration?

On to my first Oly in Sept. 

2011-08-08 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3634718

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
jfought - 2011-08-08 5:44 PM

I don't have a RR written yet, but I did my "long" sprint last Saturday.  This was my 2nd race.  It was a 800yd swim, 17.1mi. bike, and a 5.1 mi. run.  I felt really really good about the swim! Laughing  Mostly because I didn't have any anxiety and was relaxed throughout (even without a wetsuit!).  My bike average was a little faster than my first race, so I was content with that too.  It was the run that got me.  I just couldn't find the "go" button and kept finding myself walking.  I finished in 2:27:00 and had told myself that anything under 2:30:00 was good. Anybody have any good first-season stories that you want to share for inspiration?

On to my first Oly in Sept. 

Congrats Jayne.  Can't say that I have any first season stories for you.  Oddly enough, my first season was my fastest...it has been down hill from there Yell  I am sure that won't happen to you since you already are getting faster.

I did try to run out of T2 with my bike helmet last year.  Thankfully there was a great volunteer there who saved me from making an A$$ of myself on the run!!  That should inspire you to always remember to take your helmet off before starting the run Cool

Don't wait too long on that race report.  You might get a reputation or something!

2011-08-08 8:26 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Jayne, you did a wonderful job, congratulations on your finish, you should be proud! Way to go!

2011-08-08 9:26 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Glad it was that good! What you did not say was that Lance rode in the PMC too! Did they still have the students from the school of massage in Bourne? It was always one of my favorite parts.

WELL DONE!

2011-08-08 10:45 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Tobey, Jayne... Great stuff this weekend!!!!!!
2011-08-08 11:22 PM
in reply to: #3635155

User image

Elite
san francisco
swbkrun - 2011-08-08 8:45 PMTobey, Jayne... Great stuff this weekend!!!!!!
X3, great ride, William and what a great tri for you, Jayne!
2011-08-09 5:30 AM
in reply to: #3635179

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

kt65 - 2011-08-08 11:22 PM

Great stories from both of you.  That ride sounds amazing.  There are only good things to come on your next races!

2011-08-09 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3635258

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
SSMinnow - 2011-08-09 8:30 AM

Great stories from both of you.  That ride sounds amazing.  There are only good things to come on your next races!

X5!!  That ride sounds like a great experience.   

Jayne: Nice job. The swim was my biggest problem for my first Oly.  I made it, but I was totally wiped when I came out of the water.   Sounds like you're in good shape.   I will guess it was pretty hot and/or humid for your run.  My triathlon run times (Oly distance) are 5-10 minutes slower than my 10k best and the heat/humidity is always a huge factor for me.

2011-08-09 10:59 AM

User image

Pro

Big day today!!!  She's 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALREADY!

Edited by swbkrun 2011-08-09 11:03 AM

(boo boo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
boo boo.jpg (76KB - 8 downloads)
2011-08-09 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3635813

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
swbkrun - 2011-08-09 10:59 AM

ALREADY!

Wow - how time flies.  Congrats to the birthday girl.  She is adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-08-09 11:39 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Happy Birthday to Miss Avery Bird(y)!!!! Could she BE any cuter???
2011-08-09 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Happy Birthday to a beautiful little girl!!
2011-08-09 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3635888

User image

Pro

kt65 - 2011-08-09 9:39 AM Happy Birthday to Miss Avery Bird(y)!!!! Could she BE any cuter???

--Not have me as her daddy? 

2011-08-09 12:27 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Man time flies.

It feels like just year she was born!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AVERY!

2011-08-09 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3635813

User image

Champion
marietta
swbkrun - 2011-08-09 11:59 AM

ALREADY!

man, she looks a lot like me!!!!!    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! 

2011-08-09 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3635356

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
dcon - 2011-08-09 8:24 AM

Jayne: Nice job. The swim was my biggest problem for my first Oly.  I made it, but I was totally wiped when I came out of the water.   Sounds like you're in good shape.   I will guess it was pretty hot and/or humid for your run.  My triathlon run times (Oly distance) are 5-10 minutes slower than my 10k best and the heat/humidity is always a huge factor for me.

It was warm and VERY humid and I was still tired from my road trip to Pittsburgh on the motorcycle.  There, excuses made :-)

I had a really good strong ows this morning. I did just under 1.5 miles with only a short rest at the turn around point.  That was without a wetsuit and some added drag from the hippity hop I was pulling.  

Birdy, congrats. on the 1 yr old.  Beautiful!!!

Hope everyone is having a good (and safe) week of training. 

2011-08-09 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3636148

User image

Elite
san francisco
jfought - 2011-08-09 11:49 AM
dcon - 2011-08-09 8:24 AM

It was warm and VERY humid and I was still tired from my road trip to Pittsburgh on the motorcycle.  There, excuses made :-)

I had a really good strong ows this morning. I did just under 1.5 miles with only a short rest at the turn around point.  That was without a wetsuit and some added drag from the hippity hop I was pulling.  

Birdy, congrats. on the 1 yr old.  Beautiful!!!

Hope everyone is having a good (and safe) week of training. 

Jayne, congrats on your 1.5 mile OWS!  That is terrific without a wetsuit and pulling the hippity hop.  It would be terrific with a wetsuit and not pulling the hippity hop, too, so good on you!  I think you will rock that Oly in September.  NOICE!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298