2010-06-18 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2929162

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED

deehtz - 2010-06-17 7:21 PM
otter_sh - 2010-06-17 3:25 PM I'm back...  I think PT is like a gym class, I feel like I had a massive core workout after it. 

Glad to be home in the humid heat and not the dry heat....  Some kind of workout tomorrow....

LOL -   I'm the opposite ... give me the dry heat  any time over the humid heat!  Of course, where I live heat usually isn't an issue.  It is usually cool and damp.  We are still in the 50's here.

I agree - I much prefer the dry.  I guess it's a matter of what you're used to!

I did run at the lake last night and it was totally fine.  Some crazy wind, which actually felt good since it was 88 and humid (hot for us!).   After our run, we stood right by the beach to catch the best breeze to cool off.  Although at one point we were hit with a blast of sand   Oh well.

2010-06-18 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2769762

User image

Expert
Missouri
Hey if you guys want some heat and humidity, come to St Louis for the weekend.  We're in a heat advisory through Monday evening with temps in the 90's and the heat index in the 100'sFrown.  And this had to be the weekend that both my kids are going camping.  DD is with the XC team until Sunday - they're planning a couple of runs and a bike ride on the Katy Trail.  Hopefully they'll take plenty of water and keep the runs/ride short.  DS is just going with some friends.  I'm more worried about him staying hydrated, but at least he'll only be gone 1 day.  As for me, I'm hoping to get a ride in early tomorrow before it gets too hot and a run in Sunday morning.  Luckily this is a cutback week for my running so no long run planned, probably just an easy 4 miles or so. 
2010-06-18 1:23 PM

still no specifics, but i'm allowed to do what i can.  he's testing my blood for a million different things (lead poisoning since i live in a 100+ year old house) but we're also doing infusions (B12 and iron).  that'll show if i'm leaking blood somewhere or not. 

he's made me feel a lot better - telling me it'll just be a couple more week that i'll be out of training.

hope everyone has a great weekend!!
2010-06-18 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2930583

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Brooke - sounds great!  Fingers crossed for you...

Janet - I hope your kids are okay.  Hopefully they will listen to their bodies and not push it too hard.  That sounds really icky

Have a great weekend, everyone!

2010-06-20 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Cutting trees and limbs wore me out yesterday...

Going bowling tonight with my son.

Have a great week-end.
2010-06-21 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2932686

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Sounds fun, Steve   Hope you had a good father's day!

2010-06-22 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Hey there!  Sorry I've been MIA - had some family issues come up this weekend.  My DD had a good time camping with her XC team despite the heat (she was glad to get home thoughSmile).  Training didn't go exactly as planned this weekend.  I did get my 4 mile run in Sunday morning before the heat set in but my bike ride on Saturday got cut short.  I waited too long to go out and by the time I did, it was just too hot to be out for long.  I went to a park with a 1 mile loop that's partly shaded thinking that would help, but unfortunately it's all hills there and after 4 times around the heat and hills were getting to me so I figured better safe than sorry.  Packed up the bike and headed back home.  Of course, half hour after I get home, clouds roll in and the temp drops about 10 degrees.  Bad timing on my part I guess.

It's going to be hot here again this week.  We usually get temps in the 90's but not until late July/August - June is a little earlier than normal.  I was hoping to join the LRS group at the track for speedwork again tonight, but if the temps get up near 100* like they're predicting today, I may just stay home and do a tempo run on the TM.  On a good note, finally got back in the pool this morning!  Just did some easy laps for today - back to regular training on Thursday morning. 
2010-06-23 7:02 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Stretched this morning.

Legs are so tight and I feel so sore from PT exercises, I do not feel like doing anything else, it is a downer.  Re-eval for PT is tomorrow, I think it will be the last day, but I need to keep doing the exercises for me.
2010-06-23 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Steve - hope the re-eval goes well for you.  I wish I had kept up with my PT exercises after my tendonitis issues a while back.  I know they're good for me (keeps the tendonitis at bay), just can't seem to make myself do them on a regular basis.

So I decided to go ahead and go to speedwork at the track last night.  Seems my DD didn't think there was enough stress in my life right now so she felt the need to add to itFrown.  The workout was hard - and the heat and humidity didn't help - but I did feel a little better afterwards.  I'm considering signing up for a 5k on July 4th and I hope these workouts will help me set a new PR in that race.  If nothing else, they're getting me used to running in the heatSmile.

Bike ride on the schedule for tonight.
2010-06-23 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2938300

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi guys.  I often hear about PT and that it's hard to keep up with.  I wonder what can be done to motivate folks to keep it up.  We are all human, and just "knowing" that it's useful is so often not enough   I struggled with plantar fasciitis for almost a year and credit the few exercises I was given by my ART guy so curing it.  But do I continue the stretching now, since I don't have the pain.  Hardly   Although I do a tiny bit every day now out of habit.  Fortunately I can do the stretch while I am driving, so I do. 

I would suggest putting the PT time on your training plan, like a planned workout.  Don't let it get you down, Steve!  Good luck with your next appointment.

Janet - the 5k sounds fun!  A little race is always a good motivator.  I've never done track work, but i am curious.  The few speed sorts of workouts I do I can manage on the trail but I do them by time.  I tried doing distance workouts, but had to stare at the Garmin the whole time   Too hard.   Sounds like your daughter is being a typical teenager?  Just remember how fun it will be to have her as a friend in 10 years or so

2010-06-23 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2938389

User image

Expert
Missouri
BikerGrrrl - 2010-06-23 8:50 AM

Hi guys.  I often hear about PT and that it's hard to keep up with.  I wonder what can be done to motivate folks to keep it up.  We are all human, and just "knowing" that it's useful is so often not enough   I struggled with plantar fasciitis for almost a year and credit the few exercises I was given by my ART guy so curing it.  But do I continue the stretching now, since I don't have the pain.  Hardly   Although I do a tiny bit every day now out of habit.  Fortunately I can do the stretch while I am driving, so I do. 

I would suggest putting the PT time on your training plan, like a planned workout.  Don't let it get you down, Steve!  Good luck with your next appointment.

Janet - the 5k sounds fun!  A little race is always a good motivator.  I've never done track work, but i am curious.  The few speed sorts of workouts I do I can manage on the trail but I do them by time.  I tried doing distance workouts, but had to stare at the Garmin the whole time   Too hard.   Sounds like your daughter is being a typical teenager?  Just remember how fun it will be to have her as a friend in 10 years or so

Typical teenager with a new driver's license.  She's always lived under the belief that the whole world revolves around her (a view my DH has done nothing to discourage, BTW), so now thinks that she can take the car whenever and wherever she pleases.  Yeah, not gonna happen! 

One of the reasons I like going to the group speedwork sessions is because I get a great workout and it's not something I would ever do on my own.  I push myself a little more when I'm with a group and since I normally run by myself, this gives me a little more motivation. 

2010-06-24 9:05 AM

User image

Elite
washington state
Temperature's finally jumped up to the 70s here.  I jogged around the lake Tuesday.  It was a little warm because I have been used to the 50s, but it still felt good to be out in the sunshine!

Today I will go to the coached swim group.  Today we have counters who will record how far we can swim in a half hour.  Usually our session is an hour, so I don't know if we will be doing anything else.
2010-06-24 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2940927

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

That's it - I'm moving to Washington!  Actually, I have always been interested in Oregon, Washington and even N California.  I need to live in a temperate climate  

Timed swims always get me in the first lap or two because I go out too fast, so try to relax.  And have fun

deehtz - 2010-06-24 9:05 AM Temperature's finally jumped up to the 70s here.  I jogged around the lake Tuesday.  It was a little warm because I have been used to the 50s, but it still felt good to be out in the sunshine!

Today I will go to the coached swim group.  Today we have counters who will record how far we can swim in a half hour.  Usually our session is an hour, so I don't know if we will be doing anything else.

2010-06-24 1:09 PM

just checking back in after an encouraing workout.  did 2.5 miles on the elliptical today and lunch and it went great.  felt like a good workout, but didn't violate any of my doctor's orders (nothing that makes me fatigued or short of breath). 

not sure why (other than self pity) I didn't try the elliptical sooner.

had my first iron infusion/b12 shot yesterday.  it knocked me out (due to the benadryl they have to give you to prevent an allergic reaction.)  learned yesterday that contrary to popular belief (by me) i'm one tough b*tch!  getting poked over and over hurt like a mo fo but i took it like a champ
2010-06-24 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2941740

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Good job all around!  You're funny   I sometimes look longingly at the elliptical when I'm slogging on the treadmill.    I used to get some good workouts on that thing before I started running.  Keep it up!

smartstrongsexy - 2010-06-24 1:09 PM just checking back in after an encouraing workout.  did 2.5 miles on the elliptical today and lunch and it went great.  felt like a good workout, but didn't violate any of my doctor's orders (nothing that makes me fatigued or short of breath). 

had my first iron infusion/b12 shot yesterday.  it knocked me out (due to the benadryl they have to give you to prevent an allergic reaction.)  learned yesterday that contrary to popular belief (by me) i'm one tough b*tch!  getting poked over and over hurt like a mo fo but i took it like a champ

2010-06-24 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2941740

User image

Elite
washington state
smartstrongsexy - 2010-06-24 11:09 AM just checking back in after an encouraing workout.  did 2.5 miles on the elliptical today and lunch and it went great.  felt like a good workout, but didn't violate any of my doctor's orders (nothing that makes me fatigued or short of breath). 

Good Job on the elliptical.... Way to stay after it on the workouts.

Also Way to Go on tuffing out the pokes! 

2010-06-24 7:16 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
I feel okay on my swim session today.  I did 1285 yds in 30 minutes.  That is about what I expected my "cruising speed" to be.  I feel good about it because though I was glad to stop for a few minutes I really could have kept going longer.  So I am pleased with my stamina. 

After the timed swim, we did some drills from Total Immersion to help with streamlining.  I think that was harder than the timed swim!
2010-06-25 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2942612

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Sounds like a strong swim, Dee!  I can't remember - did you decide whether you will sign up for the july 4th tri?  I think you can do it...

I rode my bike into work today and had a commuting "PR."  I know that's silly to care about, but this is a rough ride - pretty much uphill - and I rarely feel very strong in the morning.  So I was really happy to arrive at work after a good solid ride.  I rode home yesterday so my car was in the lot and I will drive home.  I like having a free evening

Anyone have plans for the weekend?  I have my last long ride/run on Sunday.  Can't wait to be done with that.  Training for the HIM has killed a lot of my desire to ride my bike.  WHich is really sad, considering I'm BikerGrrrl

2010-06-25 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Dee - great job on the swim!

I've kept up with most of my training this week - a little short on the bike, but I'm hoping to make that up on the weekend.  I think I'm going to go join a group from the LRS on their Saturday morning run tomorrow.  They do a 10 mile run (basically out and back) but I'll turn around early since I'll only be doing about 6-7.  I'm familiar with the route they run - mostly shaded running path, some roads.  Hopefully I can find someone to run with for at least part of the time. 

I had a nice bike ride last night.  Just kept it simple and easy - rode through a couple of nearby neighborhoods so didn't have to deal with a lot of traffic that way.  I felt a lot more comfortable riding there than I usually do out on the busier roads. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

2010-06-25 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2943580

User image

Expert
Missouri
BikerGrrrl - 2010-06-25 10:28 AM

Sounds like a strong swim, Dee!  I can't remember - did you decide whether you will sign up for the july 4th tri?  I think you can do it...

I rode my bike into work today and had a commuting "PR."  I know that's silly to care about, but this is a rough ride - pretty much uphill - and I rarely feel very strong in the morning.  So I was really happy to arrive at work after a good solid ride.  I rode home yesterday so my car was in the lot and I will drive home.  I like having a free evening

Anyone have plans for the weekend?  I have my last long ride/run on Sunday.  Can't wait to be done with that.  Training for the HIM has killed a lot of my desire to ride my bike.  WHich is really sad, considering I'm BikerGrrrl

I think this is one of the things that's kept me from riding my bike to work.  I can usually convince myself to do a short run or head to the gym for a swim in the morning, but the thought of doing more than that (and getting everything set up beforehand) keeps me from trying it.  I know that once I actually do it the first time, it won't be bad, it's just taking that first step!
2010-06-25 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2944542

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Preparing for a commute is the WORST.   What I like to do now is split it, because I can leave my car at work.  This means I don't have to haul anything on my body other than wallet and keys, most importantly no lock because I can store my bike in the car.  It's a college campus with security, so I feel okay with the idea.  But if I did both ways in a single day, I try to bring my clothes and food the day before.   Also, I have to get everything else ready (tires pumped, water bottle ready, clothes out, small bag packed including HUGE lock) the night before.

On the other hand, it's really easy to get out the door.  I don't do anything other than brush my teeth and go.  No decision about what to wear, etc.  That's usually my biggest time waster.   I also can shower and get ready at a nearby gym and it's much faster than at home - no distractions.    By the time I get to work it's the same amount of time commuting and shower, etc, but I've got my workout done!

Basically, I always dread it but am really happy I did it when I arrive.

2010-06-26 12:36 AM

User image

Elite
washington state
Jogged the lake again today.  3.5 miles.  This time I went in the morning ... the temp was still right around 60*F.  I cut over 3 minutes off of my time compared to Tuesday in the afternoon at 75*F.
2010-06-29 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
What I wouldn't do for 60* temps right now, lol!  Even at night, we're only getting down into the mid-70's and with the humidity it makes it feel even worse.   We're getting a little bit of a break this week after some storms on Sunday night but it won't last long. 

Emily - I'd love to be able to do the split thing with communting by bike, but since we have more drivers in our house than cars, leaving mine at work overnight really isn't an option.  I would have to bring my stuff in the day before (which means planning aheadSurprised).  I can rent a locker at the gym and leave it there overnight so I'd have it when I got here in the morning.  It's just getting all that worked out beforehand that I haven't taken the time to do.  I work at a college too with security but I'm still a little unsure about leaving my bike locked up outside all day.  Maybe if I go talk to them and let them know they can keep an eye on it for me.  It's something I'd really like to try this fall.
2010-06-29 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
So I've decided to sign up for a race on July 4th.  Now I just need to decide if I want to do the 5k or the 10k.  I did the 10k last year and I like that distance (plus I have 7 miles scheduled for this weekend so it would work out good), but I'm leaning towards doing the 5k.  I kind of want to push myself a little bit and see how I could do.  My goal would be sub-30 which I think is possible, providing the weather cooperates.  My runs lately have been a little slow due to heat/humidity, but they've been steady.  I really think I've got a shot at this so I want to give it a try.
2010-06-29 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2950288

User image

Elite
washington state
soccermom15 - 2010-06-29 6:54 AM So I've decided to sign up for a race on July 4th.  Now I just need to decide if I want to do the 5k or the 10k.  I did the 10k last year and I like that distance (plus I have 7 miles scheduled for this weekend so it would work out good), but I'm leaning towards doing the 5k.  I kind of want to push myself a little bit and see how I could do.  My goal would be sub-30 which I think is possible, providing the weather cooperates.  My runs lately have been a little slow due to heat/humidity, but they've been steady.  I really think I've got a shot at this so I want to give it a try.

That's a tough decision, but it is great that you have the choice!  Good luck whichever you decide to do!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20