BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-01-14 5:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: swim lap count

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by Kris67 As a new swimmer, I am wondering how everyone keeps track of their laps? I have a watch to keep time, that I pause when I rest, then restart when I go again, and right now I try to keep count, but as the distance increases, I"m afraid I will lose count. Any tips? I am enjoying reading all the swim tips-thanks

There is such a device as a lap counter which I have honestly never used.  Some watches (not sure of the brand) also count laps.  I just count. Every 4laps I know I did 100.  However, most of my sets don't call for super long continuous swims where it would be easier to lose the count.

The Garmin 910XT and the Suunto Ambit2 both count laps, although both watches are over $500 retail so kind of pricey just to count laps.  Both watches use the built in accelerometer to determine a new lap and if you don't push off the wall HARD it may not count the lap.  I had this problem when I was using the Garmin.  I finally got tired of a number of issues with the Garmin and found a good deal on the Suunto, it has the same issue with pushing off the wall, but not near as bad as the Garmin. 

Not to hijack the thread, but while we are on the subject.  If you are looking for a high end GPS watch, I strongly suggest you check out the Suunto Ambit2.  It does everything the Garmin 910XT does, and in my opinion, it does it better, plus you can download apps (think smartphone) to increase functionality.  It has incredible battery life and can actually be worn as a day-to-day watch in addition to all the other stuff it does.

Anyway, back to counting laps -

Just slide the lane line discs down and use the discs to keep track of your laps.  A LOT less expensive than a watch that will count laps.

Edited by k9car363 2014-01-14 6:16 PM

2014-01-14 5:49 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
OH TOO EASY. we been tryin come up something....toddler toys .....flip cards....dead bugs...

Lane marker....awesome! Thanks scott !

anyone using brooks pure flow. I tried on just for heck of it......
it was more cushy than thought it would be...and it rolls well from heel to toe.

But...will it hold up?? it looks kinna flimsy.
2014-01-14 5:49 PM
in reply to: trytritryguy

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED

Originally posted by trytritryguy Kris- that's a great question. I was wondering the same thing. I will be interested in seeing the responses. Being a new swimmer as well, I can't express how helpful Scots insight has been. Thanks again Scott.

Thank you, glad it is helping!

2014-01-14 6:05 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight loss

Originally posted by hoffsquared

Thanks James.  I will be better about providing the right information in the right way this week.

This is mainly for Scott:  So I have been paying much more attention to how things 'feel' in the water.  There is one aspect of my stroke that seems quite out of whack.  It is when I breath.  I breath to the right.  When I take a breath, I have trouble getting my left hand to feel like it is grabbing the water (the catch).  It seems like I am missing that perfect point most of the time.  Sometimes I know the angle of my wrist is wrong (hand sort of pointing up when I start the stroke), other times I am pressing the water but it feels 'soft'.  Wondering if I need to tuck my chin a bit more or if I am reaching for too long or too short.

I really like the visual of climbing the ladder.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Hi Melanie,

Obviously, I haven't seen you swim so I am speculating.  I suspect your body rotation is not even.  You kind of give it away with the comment, "Sometimes I know the angle of my wrist is wrong (hand sort of pointing up when I start the stroke)."  Your hand 'pointing up' is a classic sign of over-reaching and the normal cause of over-reaching is over-rotation.  It is a common, especially for a swimmer that only breaths to one side, to over-rotate when you breath.  Unfortunately, that becomes habit so even if you only breath every 4th stroke, you will still tend to over-rotate to the breathing side on the non-breathing stroke (hope that makes sense).

Assuming that is the problem, here are a couple things to work on.

• Learn how to breath to both sides.  99 times out of 100, bi-lateral breathing will eliminate uneven body rotation.  Beyond the technique advantage, having the ability to breath to both sides is a very good skill to have.  Consider this, you breath to the right.  One day you go to an event in the ocean (or a lake), there is a 20 knot wind coming in from the right, kicking up a 3 foot swell.  If you can't breath to the left side, you are going to be drinking salty sea water or dirty lake water.  If you can breath to your left side, you don't have the breathing problem.  I would adopt a breath on every third stroke pattern.  If you need to breath every stroke, then breath left on even laps, and breath right on odd laps (or whatever works for you).
  • Concentrate on even body rotation.  If you really key in on your shoulders, you can tell if you are equal or not.
  • Finally, once you know rotation is symmetrical, focus on the entry and catch.  Make sure your hand is in the correct position.

Hope that helps.  If you can, have someone take some video and I can take a look.

Edited by k9car363 2014-01-14 6:22 PM
2014-01-14 6:20 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by dustytrails OH TOO EASY. we been tryin come up something....toddler toys .....flip cards....dead bugs... Lane marker....awesome! Thanks scott ! anyone using brooks pure flow. I tried on just for heck of it...... it was more cushy than thought it would be...and it rolls well from heel to toe. But...will it hold up?? it looks kinna flimsy.

I train in Brooks exclusively.  The Pure Flow is my favorite shoe ever.  Just enough cushion and not clunky at all.  I have worn them in several half marathons and my dismal full marathon.  The issues in those races were not from shoes but my body just not cooperating and weather....I have 3 pairs of the Pure Flow currently--one I just took out of regular run cycle cause they are pretty high miles so I use them for the mile- or two  warm up on the tready before strength training.  The other 2 pair are fairly new.

I also have the Connect (runs small but I do love the shoe), Drift ( I love the shoe but it doesn't work well for me--it's a gym shoe), the Ghost (LOVE this almost as much as the Flow) and Launch. (good shoe my pair is old and I need to order new ones now that Brooks brought them back)

Brooks has a very generous return policy --even if you purchase at the store (I order on line directly) if you test them out and find the shoe really doesn't work for you they will allow returns up to a reasonable number of miles.  

2014-01-14 10:05 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by JREDFLY

OK Steve, you got me is that who I think it is standing next to Boston Billy in your new avatar?

Nice call James. Old photo from back in the days when I was fleet of foot.

Steve

2014-01-14 10:14 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Kris67

As a new swimmer, I am wondering how everyone keeps track of their laps? I have a watch to keep time, that I pause when I rest, then restart when I go again, and right now I try to keep count, but as the distance increases, I"m afraid I will lose count. Any tips?
I am enjoying reading all the swim tips-thanks

Lots of solutions out there Kris. I just count up/back as one lap and break the segments into fives for 250 yard blocks. For me it's easier to count to five multiple times than to just keep counting upward.

Steve
2014-01-15 5:58 AM

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Originally posted by k9car363

Thanks James.  I will be better about providing the right information in the right way this week.

This is mainly for Scott:  So I have been paying much more attention to how things 'feel' in the water.  There is one aspect of my stroke that seems quite out of whack.  It is when I breath.  I breath to the right.  When I take a breath, I have trouble getting my left hand to feel like it is grabbing the water (the catch).  It seems like I am missing that perfect point most of the time.  Sometimes I know the angle of my wrist is wrong (hand sort of pointing up when I start the stroke), other times I am pressing the water but it feels 'soft'.  Wondering if I need to tuck my chin a bit more or if I am reaching for too long or too short.

I really like the visual of climbing the ladder.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Hi Melanie,

Obviously, I haven't seen you swim so I am speculating.  I suspect your body rotation is not even.  You kind of give it away with the comment, "Sometimes I know the angle of my wrist is wrong (hand sort of pointing up when I start the stroke)."  Your hand 'pointing up' is a classic sign of over-reaching and the normal cause of over-reaching is over-rotation.  It is a common, especially for a swimmer that only breaths to one side, to over-rotate when you breath.  Unfortunately, that becomes habit so even if you only breath every 4th stroke, you will still tend to over-rotate to the breathing side on the non-breathing stroke (hope that makes sense).

Assuming that is the problem, here are a couple things to work on.

• Learn how to breath to both sides.  99 times out of 100, bi-lateral breathing will eliminate uneven body rotation.  Beyond the technique advantage, having the ability to breath to both sides is a very good skill to have.  Consider this, you breath to the right.  One day you go to an event in the ocean (or a lake), there is a 20 knot wind coming in from the right, kicking up a 3 foot swell.  If you can't breath to the left side, you are going to be drinking salty sea water or dirty lake water.  If you can breath to your left side, you don't have the breathing problem.  I would adopt a breath on every third stroke pattern.  If you need to breath every stroke, then breath left on even laps, and breath right on odd laps (or whatever works for you).
  • Concentrate on even body rotation.  If you really key in on your shoulders, you can tell if you are equal or not.
  • Finally, once you know rotation is symmetrical, focus on the entry and catch.  Make sure your hand is in the correct position.

Hope that helps.  If you can, have someone take some video and I can take a look.

Scott,

I'm working on bilateral breathing and I have to be honest......it is miserable! I've been swimming for a long time so I know it is going to take a while to break the bad habit. Any tips? I'm not "feeling" the body rotation to the left. I do feel how asymmetrical it is so I'm hoping that is a start. I tend to left my head to the left instead of rolling my body as I do on the right.

Thanks!
2014-01-15 7:20 AM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

Thanks to you all I have been to the pool twice!!  Scott I very much appreciate your blog posts and suggestions here.  As a visual learner I was wondering if there are any online videos that you could recommend that illustrate some of the stoke mechanics you have mentioned.  I think I am am still confused on hand position at entry and how to get an effective pull. 

I love your suggestion about lane markers as lap counter!  My head is too busy reciting Scottisms to remember numbers too.

I also thank you all for your thoughts and prayers concerning my MIL.  My husband is getting home today and I am looking forward to having some family time.

2014-01-15 7:58 AM
in reply to: KOM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Quick note --- just registered for Across the Bay 10K.  Chesapeake Bay bridge run.  Excited!  They haven't run this race in 7 years.  http://www.bridgerace.com/.

Boston Marathon RD is the RD for this race.

2014-01-15 9:01 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I have a link in my blog about a recent accident ......a local runner was struck and killed by a drunk driver the other day.  Please consider running for megsmiles this Saturday.  

If you are on FB there are several groups involved in the effort to run for her and the buzz is her favorite color was purple so they asked people wear purple.

There is a back story to the accident that is really sad.....the driver is a local doctor whose own wife was killed by a drunk driver about 20 years ago.  He won a huge wrongful death suit at the time.....guess payback is what they say it is....he is also undergoing chemo.....so sad.  I remember him from when he made rounds--even though I worked in the ER....

2014-01-15 11:05 AM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wsummerhill

Scott,

I'm working on bilateral breathing and I have to be honest......it is miserable! I've been swimming for a long time so I know it is going to take a while to break the bad habit. Any tips? I'm not "feeling" the body rotation to the left. I do feel how asymmetrical it is so I'm hoping that is a start. I tend to left my head to the left instead of rolling my body as I do on the right.

Thanks!

Hi Wendy -

The first step to fixing the problem is identifying the problem and it sounds like you have already done that.  The technique flaw(s) are most likely because breathing to your left is not as comfortable.  It is kind of like eating, if you normally eat with your right hand, and then pick up a fork with your left hand, you can do it, but it isn't comfortable.  You are lifting your head because you aren't rolling enough to the left.  I would suggest that you only breath to your left side for the next several workouts.  The awkwardness will go away as you put in more and more laps.  Just stick with it and remember the goal - you want to get to where you can breath equally well to both sides.  Really focus in on symmetrical body rotation.  After you have done a few complete workouts breathing to the left, then go to breathing every third stroke, or, if you need to breath every stroke, breath to the left on one lap and to the right the next lap.  The important thing is to breath to the 'off' side frequently enough that it becomes natural and is no longer the 'off' side.

2014-01-15 11:15 AM

User image

Dublin, Ohio

Originally posted by wsummerhill

Scott,

Thanks!

Hi Wendy -

The first step to fixing the problem is identifying the problem and it sounds like you have already done that.  The technique flaw(s) are most likely because breathing to your left is not as comfortable.  It is kind of like eating, if you normally eat with your right hand, and then pick up a fork with your left hand, you can do it, but it isn't comfortable.  You are lifting your head because you aren't rolling enough to the left.  I would suggest that you only breath to your left side for the next several workouts.  The awkwardness will go away as you put in more and more laps.  Just stick with it and remember the goal - you want to get to where you can breath equally well to both sides.  Really focus in on symmetrical body rotation.  After you have done a few complete workouts breathing to the left, then go to breathing every third stroke, or, if you need to breath every stroke, breath to the left on one lap and to the right the next lap.  The important thing is to breath to the 'off' side frequently enough that it becomes natural and is no longer the 'off' side.

Thanks Scott! That's what I thought but wanted to make sure the expert agreed!

Edited by wsummerhill 2014-01-15 3:45 PM
2014-01-15 8:57 PM

User image

Connecticut

Originally posted by Kris67 As a new swimmer, I am wondering how everyone keeps track of their laps? I have a watch to keep time, that I pause when I rest, then restart when I go again, and right now I try to keep count, but as the distance increases, I"m afraid I will lose count. Any tips? I am enjoying reading all the swim tips-thanks

Hi Kris -

Assuming you are training in a pool that has lane lines there is a really easy way to keep track of laps.  The discs that make up the lane line are loose.  So go all the way to the wall, grab the last disc, and slide the discs back towards the middle of the pool (it may take a fair amount of effort, just be patient and pull).  You only need to go a foot or two.  Then, every repetition or lap, however you choose to count, slide a disc down to the wall.  If there are a lot of people in the pool and lots of waves, you may need to 'refresh' the position of the discs (slide them back down) but for the most part, they will stay far enough down that you can get an accurate count.

Scott- used this technique in the pool tonight and it worked great! I knew those discs served more of a purpose than just keeping me out of the other persons lane
2014-01-15 9:30 PM
in reply to: KOM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by KOM

. . . As a visual learner I was wondering if there are any online videos that you could recommend that illustrate some of the stoke mechanics you have mentioned.  I think I am am still confused on hand position at entry and how to get an effective pull.

There is a website located at swimsmooth.com that has a couple of animations.  The animations are fairly good, and are the closest I have found to what I believe is proper stroke technique.  However, while the website does advocate a high elbow catch and pull, the animations don't portray that as clearly as I might like (arguably it shows the high elbow, just not real clearly so when you watch it, think high elbow).  Also, in my opinion, the animation does not show what I believe to be proper hand position at entry.  They are showing basically a flat hand somewhat pointed down, as opposed to my theory, which is the hand somewhat angled palm in and somewhat pointed down.  The animation does accurately reveal what is taking place underwater, from the catch, all the way through the pull and full extension at the hip.  It also accurately shows proper body rotation and bi-lateral breathing.  You have the option of speeding up or slowing down the animation so that may be helpful.  If you watch the animation and use my 'Catch and Pull' article as commentary you will probably have a fairly concise and accurate portrayal of the freestyle stroke.

Hope that helps.

2014-01-16 4:59 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Thanks Scott. I will try to be more aware of rotation when I breath. I tried bilateral breathing for about a month a few years ago. Next time I am in the pool I will give this a go.

2014-01-16 5:02 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
Brooks Pure Flow. I ran in these for a few months. Even bought a 2nd pair so I could rotate my shoes. They are really comfortable and I reAlly liked them. But I found that they did not hold their cushioning long enough for me and my feet actually hurt after just over 200 miles in them. I have switched back to my Brooks Adrenaline's.
2014-01-16 2:10 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Regular

Brooks Pure Flow. I ran in these for a few months. Even bought a 2nd pair so I could rotate my shoes. They are really comfortable and I reAlly liked them. But I found that they did not hold their cushioning long enough for me and my feet actually hurt after just over 200 miles in them. I have switched back to my Brooks Adrenaline's.
[/QUOTE

might just get the brooks ghost. good old standby.
2014-01-17 1:20 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: It's a January weekend
HI Gang:

Hope your training week is going well. I'm counting on a big weekend as my week so far has been weak. I've been on the road on business since Sunday night which is always a challenge. Monday was a day off so the travel didn't matter. I hit the hotel exercise rooms on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings for an hour each day. Then it hit the skids. Took a solid customer out for dinner (too much wine) Wednesday night and he wanted to stop for "a drink" after dinner. This resulted in in the consumption way too much Scotch and I returned to my hotel after midnight, pretty much fully lit. Thursday morning was NOT a good experience. Needless to say, the workout that day was killed by bad behavior.

My flight home late last night was cancelled, so I grabbed a hotel at midnight in Seattle. Then my re-booked flight this morning was cancelled again (weather)...so its tough to workout while standing around an airport gate. I'm hoping to get home tonight in time to hit the pool at 5:00 p.m. I'm still stuck at the Seattle airport.

I'm supposedly starting to gear up to more focused training now as it's under 90 days to my first race of the year...Florida 70.3. This weekend will be my normal Saturday slow endurance run of about 10 miles followed by an hour of strength training in the gym. Sunday is a 2 hour bike ride (most likely indoors) followed by a lap swim at the pool. I'm trying to hit about 8-10 hours a week of medium intensity training and use that as the base to build speed a few weeks from now.

In any case, I hope your training is proceeding with more discipline than mine.

I found a little additional information on the Triathlete that died in the HITS Naples last weekend. He was 57 and apparently was new to the sport. The news reports said he had expressed concerns prior to the race to loved ones that he was worried about the swim. He died of cardiac arrest according to the news reports. Sad.

Be careful out there!

Steve
2014-01-17 2:21 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Speed training paces
I pulled the link below off of slowtwitch. It's a pretty cool tool. It allows you to use your current times are various distances to establish a VDOT for your training. It then has a table below which plugs in the ideal training paces for your interval sessions. Check it out.

http://departments.xavierhs.org/athletics/xaviertrack/HEADER4.htm

Or you can use this tool below to completely nail all of your training activities from easy pace runs through intervals through marathon pacing. I really like this one!

http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

Steve
2014-01-17 3:29 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: shoes
Ended up getting the adidas Energy boost....did a sockless 2 mile run on pavement this morning for a first try out run. Since i normally run on dirt trails i usually feel pretty beaten up after running streets.
The boost is very cushy and fits almost like a sock.....I do not feel beaten up this afternoon.
Really like..highly recommend.
Broke bank at 140 bucks...hope they last.

2014-01-17 7:48 PM

I loose count most times. Right now doing 30-40min swims in a warm therapeutic pool. the pool in 50ft by 25ft. Usually do about 20-40 lengths. 40 at best non stop crawl. 20 lengths when doing breast mixed with crawl with like 20-30sec breaks every 4 lengths. Beginner swimmer here. I look at watch just to check to see how much time I have left to swim since I do this during my lunch break at work. any suggestions on how far I am going? having a hard time converting feet to meters or yards.
2014-01-17 7:50 PM

Subject: RE: shoes
wow high price-I run in assics tri nosha 7's, plan on the 8's this year, just under $100 dollars for roadrunnersports.com
2014-01-17 8:28 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: It's a January weekend
Originally posted by lutzman

I hit the hotel exercise rooms on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings for an hour each day. Then it hit the skids. Took a solid customer out for dinner (too much wine) Wednesday night and he wanted to stop for "a drink" after dinner. This resulted in in the consumption way too much Scotch and I returned to my hotel after midnight, pretty much fully lit. Thursday morning was NOT a good experience. Needless to say, the workout that day was killed by bad behavior.

My flight home late last night was cancelled, so I grabbed a hotel at midnight in Seattle. Then my re-booked flight this morning was cancelled again (weather)...so its tough to workout while standing around an airport gate. I'm hoping to get home tonight in time to hit the pool at 5:00 p.m. I'm still stuck at the Seattle airport.

Oh man, Steve, your story has a painfully familiar ring to it. Nothing like the fun of business travel!

Dave

2014-01-18 9:15 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: It's a January weekend

Steve --- Thanks for the VDOT calculator sites.  I plan to use the RunBayou calculator.  I've just signed up for a 5K on February 22nd.  I'll plug in the time and go from there.  Then I will have to dust off the Garmin and try to run to set paces.

Purchasing shoes --- I have been very happy with Holabird Sports.  Shoes are well-priced and delivered really, really fast.  They even throw in a future discount coupon on purchases and I've also been sent random shirts w/ shoes.

Next week --- I'm out of pocket starting this afternoon until next Saturday.  Off for a bit of R&R.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18736 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.