BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-06 9:01 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by dmgaudre

And we're officially "foster failures". Pogo (as I renamed Buttons) is now part of the family. Seemed no one in the family wanted to give him up. According to rescue, he's part Italian Greyhound, and his personality sure fits the AKC description.

Oh my gosh, he's adorable! (The furless kid is cute too...) lol
hehe...thanks What lake were you guys at in your doggy pic?
That's Roosevelt Lake. It was a long day for the kids and dogs...we took the Apache Trail up there. Gorgeous drive...but long. LOL
We've been up to Saguaro and most recently to Canyon, but Roosevelt is too far for a good day trip.
It really is. We're looking at camping up there soon. It's been a busy summer and we haven't camped once!
We were going to head north last weekend, but storms kept us down near Tucson. Camping is a new thing for us with a 7yo and 3yo. We've always been active and outdoors with them...camping is just our next step
We really just got into camping last summer. But we LOVE it. Now we are fully stocked for some great camping trips! Would be kind of fun to get Arizona peeps together for something like that. Practice our open water swim. ;-) I didn't realize you were in Tucson. Roosevelt is a long day trip for us, definitely for you! If you can, go up to Apache lake. Holy cow, it's so pretty and way off the beaten path. Quicker if you take the beeline up to Roosevelt then down to Apache instead of the Apache Trail. But not as pretty. :-)

Yes! Poor desert people that we are, OWSs are few and far between. (mine have only been during races at Tempe Town Lake )

We're actually about an hour north of Tucson in Casa Grande.

We have "plans" to get in a few more trips up to the mountains before it gets too cold to be fun for kids (although that's kinda hard to imagine lol). We don't mind driving the scenic ways because the kids are good travelers

My kids enjoy it too. At least my girl does. My son is put out with no internet connection...which is why the rest of us love it so much!

2014-08-06 9:02 PM
in reply to: dmgaudre

User image

Just took my first quick ride on an actual road bike. Holy moly is it different from my mountain bike and the stationery bike at the Y. My legs are screaming! Woohoo!

Darren...you got me...I'm 39 in that picture... :-)
2014-08-06 9:23 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by Richardsdrr Stacey - What groupset are you running on the bike now? If it is a decent one, perhaps you could get it switched over onto a new bike with a lower standard groupset to save a bit of cash.
Enjoy your camping Darren. Have fun with your family, forget about training for a week it won't kill you. OK totally dumb question but I can ask it here. What exactly does group set mean? It has something to do with your gears doesn't it? All the components on my current bike are Sora but I don't think that this answers Darren's question does it?
Yes it does

Yes, it's the brakes, derailleurs, shifters, brake levers, cassette, chainrings, chain. This is yours. At least the current version of it. Not all bikes are going to have exact matches on everything. Lower level ones may have some mix of Tiagra and Sora. I've seen these come with an Ultegra rear derailleur as well. 

Thanks Ben, I wasn't sure if it meant all the bits or just the cogs that the chain runs around on. Do you like my amazingly technical terms here. (See this is why I have to post these questions to you guys and not in the main forum because I don't want to get laughed off the site )

Which leads me to my silly question to follow up Stacey's.   I've thought groupset and components are rather interchangeable terms in most discussions. Like all groupsets are components, with a small fraction of components not being part of groupset. Yes? No?

2014-08-06 9:31 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by dmgaudreJust took my first quick ride an actual road bike. Holy moly is it different from my mountain bike and the stationery bike at the Y. My legs are screaming! Woohoo!Darren...you got me...I'm 39 in that picture... :-)
Isn't it fun???? Did you borrow or....dare I say, buy? Have to be careful around here even whispering bike and buy in the same sentence.
2014-08-06 10:46 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by Richardsdrr Stacey - What groupset are you running on the bike now? If it is a decent one, perhaps you could get it switched over onto a new bike with a lower standard groupset to save a bit of cash.
Enjoy your camping Darren. Have fun with your family, forget about training for a week it won't kill you. OK totally dumb question but I can ask it here. What exactly does group set mean? It has something to do with your gears doesn't it? All the components on my current bike are Sora but I don't think that this answers Darren's question does it?
Yes it does

Yes, it's the brakes, derailleurs, shifters, brake levers, cassette, chainrings, chain. This is yours. At least the current version of it. Not all bikes are going to have exact matches on everything. Lower level ones may have some mix of Tiagra and Sora. I've seen these come with an Ultegra rear derailleur as well. 

Thanks Ben, I wasn't sure if it meant all the bits or just the cogs that the chain runs around on. Do you like my amazingly technical terms here. (See this is why I have to post these questions to you guys and not in the main forum because I don't want to get laughed off the site )

Which leads me to my silly question to follow up Stacey's.   I've thought groupset and components are rather interchangeable terms in most discussions. Like all groupsets are components, with a small fraction of components not being part of groupset. Yes? No?

Basically a group set is a matching set of components. The Ultegra rear derailleur on my road bike is not part of the 105 group set that everything else is, but they still work together.

2014-08-06 10:58 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by dmgaudreJust took my first quick ride an actual road bike. Holy moly is it different from my mountain bike and the stationery bike at the Y. My legs are screaming! Woohoo!Darren...you got me...I'm 39 in that picture... :-)
Isn't it fun???? Did you borrow or....dare I say, buy? Have to be careful around here even whispering bike and buy in the same sentence.

Speaking of buying bikes, I *finally* got around to taking a picture of Red, my new (to me) Giant OCR2 road bike.  Here she is:

2014-08-07 1:16 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock

Speaking of buying bikes, I *finally* got around to taking a picture of Red, my new (to me) Giant OCR2 road bike.  Here she is:

RED IS FASTER

She's hot and so are you.

2014-08-07 1:34 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

It's Yanti's daily howl!

The good stuff.1 - Mutti's still alive, she's had a bite to eat, the roof's still there. Me too (I figure if this happens every day, we are at 100% and everything else is extra)
2 - I hired someone to help me with Mutti Watcher Search.
3 - My friend here and my brother can help out with part-days sometimes. Phew!
4 - I have medical stuff scheduled in Bali next week and the 2x/week caretaker can string her days together so I can go back for that.

The tough stuff.
1 - Everything I whined about before.
2 - Our community and family in particular are still reeling over the deaths of friends on MH17. And Ben, the cyclist who lived in Singapore. Additionally, two from-childhood family friends died unexpectedly in the last two weeks, one in suspicious circumstances. I initially helped in Bali and my sister is now helping try to unravel it all. We're not alone in this, not by a long shot, so that's good

I know that as you get older, more people die. And the accumulation of the circles of love, friends, colleagues is huge, so there's that. But it's just been a LOT in the last few weeks, particularly, the three whose families we've been close to for 40 years or more. Grief.

3 - This is chosen tough stuff, just letting you know AND making a plea. This has made international headlines and particularly in Canada. I mentioned something about this before, and as before, our family is in the middle of it as well because ... a lot of this is really sensitive and we have good connections. Regardless, 3 super educators in our community, from my (and my siblings and brother's kids) alma mater have been unjustly accused of child molestation crimes which all circumstances, rock-solid alibis, etc. prove they couldn't have been involved with (the accusers - parents - are suing the school for $125 million -- in this country! in a civil suit ... big pie to divide up, almost certain if a criminal case goes through).

Two of the accused remain detained without cause or evidence. One is a Canadian; one is Indonesian. The third, the elementary school principal, is from the U.S. and is not detained but she cannot leave the country either.

Please consider signing this petition. The more, the better. This has struck very deep and very close. My father would have been appalled. This is NOT how we treat guests in our country or our own citizens, and the law is absolutely not being applied fairly. This school made many of us who we are and it's one of the best in the world.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Neil_Bantleman_and_Ferdinant_Tjiong_Have_these_innocent_men_released_from_police_custody_in_Indonesia/?fHatcib

If you're Canadian or American and willing to also write members of legislature / politicians I also have stock letters to email. Thank you.

2014-08-07 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Yanti, when do Mutti's normal carers get back. I know you said that one of them you were going to have to let go, but what about the other one? Just wondering when you might get a couple of days a week relief.

Also sorry to hear about the teachers from your old school, petition signed.
2014-08-07 8:41 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK Yanti, when do Mutti's normal carers get back. I know you said that one of them you were going to have to let go, but what about the other one? Just wondering when you might get a couple of days a week relief. Also sorry to hear about the teachers from your old school, petition signed.

Thank you. It's a travesty. Yes, countries have different laws but it's beyond not okay when we're not following our own ... to the tune of $$$$$$$ and the complete destruction of these people's careers.

The other caretaker can only work 2x days/week now; she'll be back Tuesday and can stay until I come back Friday morning (I need to go to Bali a few days). So phew.

2014-08-07 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyK Yanti, when do Mutti's normal carers get back. I know you said that one of them you were going to have to let go, but what about the other one? Just wondering when you might get a couple of days a week relief. Also sorry to hear about the teachers from your old school, petition signed.

Thank you. It's a travesty. Yes, countries have different laws but it's beyond not okay when we're not following our own ... to the tune of $$$$$$$ and the complete destruction of these people's careers.

The other caretaker can only work 2x days/week now; she'll be back Tuesday and can stay until I come back Friday morning (I need to go to Bali a few days). So phew.

glad she will be able to help for a bit. Does she know anyone that might be good to care for Mutti the days she can't.

2014-08-07 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
On the bike front Giant have released the info on their 2015 range. I can get this bike
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/envie.advanced.2/18...
For about $200 more than the 2014 model sale price. I much prefer the colours of the 2015 to the 2014 (not a fan of pink really) but do you think it would be too much bike for me?
2014-08-07 9:10 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Yanti I'm sorry that I have nothing to offer except my support and a sympathetic ear (or monitor and keyboard). Please continue to update us and know we're thinking of you.
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Originally posted by melbo55

Has anyone ever used BT classifieds to sell any gear?  If you have, do you have happy stories or horror stories?  What type of payment did the buyers use, or what payment type would one recommend?  Am I better off throwing my stuff on ebay?  I don't want to get burned.  I have sold a few items on ebay in the waaaaay long ago, but not recently.

I have used the classifieds to sell my old tri bike and bought 2 bikes off of the classified. All three used PayPal for the transactions.

in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

On the bike front Giant have released the info on their 2015 range. I can get this bike
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/envie.advanced.2/18...
For about $200 more than the 2014 model sale price. I much prefer the colours of the 2015 to the 2014 (not a fan of pink really) but do you think it would be too much bike for me?

no such thing as "too much bike for me."

I used to know the Giant lineup pretty well but I haven't been following it lately. It used to be the brand known as "more bang for your buck!"

Does it fit?
Do you like it?
Are you ok with the price?

GET IT! RIDE IT! LOVE IT!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-08-07 9:15 AM
2014-08-07 9:29 AM

User image

Borrowed. As this is my first tri I thought I had better not invest too much money right away. And I have been looking at bikes and boy are they expensive! LOL

2014-08-07 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Janyne, I had a chance to go through the Lake Logan pics on Google. What kind of helmet are you using? It looked like a cross between an aero helmet and a road helmet. My other observation is that Kevin is a madman with a camera.

2014-08-07 9:36 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

These are intended to go on the aerobars of a tri bike. Wouldn't really work for a basic road bike.

I've had the A2 for some time, but never really finished hooking it up as it seemed a bit big & clunky. Didn't like how the garmin would be sitting up top of everything. Take a look at the XLab Torpedo.

Thats pretty nice.  How is it for refilling?

I don't know, I've been on the road bike all season. Also only doing short course tris this season. 

I may just wait for your review ;-)

2014-08-07 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by dmgaudre Just took my first quick ride on an actual road bike. Holy moly is it different from my mountain bike and the stationery bike at the Y. My legs are screaming! Woohoo! Darren...you got me...I'm 39 in that picture... :-)

Good job getting out there!

2014-08-07 9:40 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

Very nice!  Red is a fast color so of course our Red is FAST!

2014-08-07 9:42 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by dmgaudre Just took my first quick ride on an actual road bike. Holy moly is it different from my mountain bike and the stationery bike at the Y. My legs are screaming! Woohoo! Darren...you got me...I'm 39 in that picture... :-)

Good job getting out there!

1. Yay Deanna!

2. NyNy, is that a spiffy new avvie from Lake Logan?

2014-08-07 9:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by cdban66

These are intended to go on the aerobars of a tri bike. Wouldn't really work for a basic road bike.

I've had the A2 for some time, but never really finished hooking it up as it seemed a bit big & clunky. Didn't like how the garmin would be sitting up top of everything. Take a look at the XLab Torpedo.

Thats pretty nice.  How is it for refilling?

I don't know, I've been on the road bike all season. Also only doing short course tris this season. 

I may just wait for your review ;-)

I messaged this to Chris last night

I have the Xlab torpedo. It's pretty slick and I like it a lot. It has two covers - one that seals it and one that leaves an opening for easy refil. So far I've only used the closed cover - in fact now that I think about it I'm not sure where I put the other. EEK lol

also, Candice from Xlab posts regularly on ST and is pretty helpful with peoples questions etc. In fact when I wanted one QBP was back ordered and she told me to tell my shop to call them directly and they got one. I think Install can be a little tricky but between a good shop and Candice it's all good!

2014-08-07 9:44 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by StaceyK On the bike front Giant have released the info on their 2015 range. I can get this bike http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/envie.advanced.2/18... For about $200 more than the 2014 model sale price. I much prefer the colours of the 2015 to the 2014 (not a fan of pink really) but do you think it would be too much bike for me?
no such thing as "too much bike for me." I used to know the Giant lineup pretty well but I haven't been following it lately. It used to be the brand known as "more bang for your buck!" Does it fit? Do you like it? Are you ok with the price? GET IT! RIDE IT! LOVE IT!

^^^This.  Looks like a sweet bike with decent components.  I say DOOOO EEEET!!

2014-08-07 9:55 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Borrowed. As this is my first tri I thought I had better not invest too much money right away. And I have been looking at bikes and boy are they expensive! LOL

Good plan to borrow for now, and good idea to start riding it now so you're comfortable with it by your race.  There are a few options for getting a decent bike for less $$$: 

1. Craig's List (do your research first)
  2. A local bike shop selling last year's models on sale or this year's models at the end of the season
  3. A local shop that sells used/consignment bikes

I was able to get mine for $550.  A comparable new one would have been in the $1,200-$1,500 range.  It's got a carbon fiber fork and seat post and mid-range components that I can upgrade when I'm ready to.  The most important part is that it fits me really well.  As you can see, it's a road bike, not a tri bike.  There's really no need to go all out and get a tri bike to start with.  A good road bike is a great investment and is more versatile than a tri bike anyway.

2014-08-07 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by 4agoodlifethere's
Look at craigslist for used. Especially in our area with so much good riding weather, there's a lot out there. Shops post their bikes on CL too. We found mine at a little place in fountain hills. And I was same thinking as you, so my first tri was on my mtn bike .Bought my road before second one. Lol
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 45024 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 39219 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 76007 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 52213 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 27586 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.