BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-30 2:57 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by nicole14e

Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by nicole14e

My Lasik appt got rescheduled so I haven't been cleared to swim yet. Hoping they clear me Friday so I can go to Masters on Saturday morning.

Went to boot camp last night, which kicked my butt. Feeling stronger every day! Also have been eating pretty well this week.

Nice work Nicole! Do you think the Boot Camp might help me with my back pain? I need some core work in a big way.

Boot Camp is great for the core, but they generally do a lot of other stuff that might not be awesome for your back (jump squats, burpees, tuck jumps etc). If you have a gym membership that has classes specific to your core, I would start with those until your back starts feeling better. You can always try a boot camp and just modify so you're not jumping too much.

I did a quick search and found this article: http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower-back-pain-10/slideshow-exercis... I challenge you to pick 5 of those exercises they say you should try, and start doing them for 10 reps a day Tell me which ones you choose, and I will do it with you.

I'm in. I wasn't able to click on the clink. Would you please send it again.

And oh by the way, it's on! (as said by a guy who sometimes moves around like I'm 80

2017-01-30 3:01 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Swim Cross Training with out pool access?
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I got the new bike today!  No pics yet....I drove it home from the shop (a little over an hour away), and by the time I got home, it was getting dark out and I needed to knock out a run, so I did that.  I'll be riding it tomorrow (later in the day, after it has time to warm up a bit....I'm a baby if I have to ride in sub-55F weather), so hoping to get some pics while I'm out.

I'm very excited about it!  The little bit of riding I did on the trainer and the parking lot makes me think I'm going to like it a lot.  Not sure if anyone has seen the info released on Argon's "smart bike" (http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Argon_s_Smart_Bike_6039.html), but my coach is the developer of the technology and I'll be doing some testing for him.  So my bike came equipped with the aero testing device and I'll be trying to gather as much data for him, while preparing for my races this season!  I'm very excited to be part of this super cool project!

Very cool! Congrats!
2017-01-30 3:03 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Saturday master class this morning. Ended up with 3300yds. Now I'm tired and all I want to do is nap.

Damn 3300 yards is one hell of a swim! Nice work!

DQ
2017-01-30 3:05 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

Hi guys, just a quick check in from the airport hotel here.

I had a good finish to the week with a 4 hour ride on Saturday and 2 hours on Sunday. I ended the week with 3 swims, 3 bikes and 5 runs for a total of just under 13 hours. My biggest training weekever

Welcome 9the group Dan,

Hope everyone had a good and productive weekend. Catch up properly soon

Andrew - Congrats on the greatest week yet! That's awesome!
2017-01-30 3:08 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Hi everyone! I just got back from a weekend travelling to Northern VA and DC to visit some friends and their kids. It was quite exhausting, but a lot of fun. I got back in the pool on Saturday. The practice was 2 hours but I stopped after an hour and a half. 3050 yards. My back is quite sore, but it was a really good workout. Going to practice tomorrow too. Might even compete in some meets in March, but I haven't decided about that yet. It's been a lonnnnggggg time since I swam competitively (not in a tri). Hope everyone had a great weekend! My left eye is hurting so I think I'm going to bed (at 8pm...sad haha).

Hey don't feel bad, I was in bed by 8:30 last night.  LOL

Quick update:  incisions still hurt but not terrible.  Back to work (in my home office) today and I have a couple of errands to run so hopefully driving won't be too bad.  I start walking on the treadmill today - going to start with a mile @ 2.0 mph and we'll see how that goes.

I'll be praying for you buddy! As someone whose lower back is currently singing a bit - I hope the surgery did the trick!
2017-01-30 3:08 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Saturday master class this morning. Ended up with 3300yds. Now I'm tired and all I want to do is nap.
Damn 3300 yards is one hell of a swim! Nice work! DQ

Right??  I don't generally swim that in a week!

2017-01-30 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
It's been a good day!

I started off the day sending pictures of all my meals and food I'm eating to John to give me some accountability. I really appreciate it john! It kept me from having that cookie at lunch.

Then before a pool workout I had a nice conversation with a fellow triathlete who was just getting out of the water. Nice to talk to a guy with the same passion as ours. We talked gear and races - better than politics and talking religion.

Then my swim was good. The 750 yards was the longest and best since last year. I actually knocked a 100 out in less than 2 minutes just to prove to myself that I could still do it. BAM! Sometime things feel good - and I will take that for today.

Nicole - I'm looking forward to our lower back challenge.

Speaking of challenging - what's the challenge for February?
2017-01-30 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

So I took the new bike out this weekend!  I have many thoughts about it....the first of which is that I am not worthy of this bike!  I will work my butt off to make myself worthy of it again....but it'll take a bit to get back there.  It's probably more mental than physical, but I definitely need to get back into long-ride shape. 

There are a few tweaks that I'll be making over the next few rides, but I really like the bike a lot!  Unfortunately, it was cold out the day I rode, and I'm kind of a weenie when it comes to cold.  My toes were completely numb by the end (made my transition run off the bike interesting!).

My old P2 will become the dedicated trainer bike and the Argon will come outside.  Since it was cold out, I didn't really stop for too many pics along the way, but here are a few (one of my tiny car with two bikes on top, one of me at the finish of my fit session, and a selfie on the maiden voyage).

(Fit.jpg)

(Maiden Voyage.jpg)

(BRZ with two bikes.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Fit.jpg (69KB - 2 downloads)
Maiden Voyage.jpg (140KB - 2 downloads)
BRZ with two bikes.jpg (156KB - 2 downloads)
2017-01-30 7:02 PM
in reply to: #5211914

User image

, Vermont
Sweet ride, Nicole!!!!! Holy smokes!!! And hey - a Subaru! That's the Vermont state car! Hahaha (we have an Outback)
You are going to fly on that bike!
2017-01-30 7:06 PM
in reply to: #5212036

User image

, Vermont
2500 yds in the pool today.
2017-01-30 9:32 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

The bike looks even better than I imagined!!

And - I love your car!  I have a 2016 WRX in the same color 

2017-01-30 9:33 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Qua17 It's been a good day! I started off the day sending pictures of all my meals and food I'm eating to John to give me some accountability. I really appreciate it john! It kept me from having that cookie at lunch. Then before a pool workout I had a nice conversation with a fellow triathlete who was just getting out of the water. Nice to talk to a guy with the same passion as ours. We talked gear and races - better than politics and talking religion. Then my swim was good. The 750 yards was the longest and best since last year. I actually knocked a 100 out in less than 2 minutes just to prove to myself that I could still do it. BAM! Sometime things feel good - and I will take that for today. Nicole - I'm looking forward to our lower back challenge. Speaking of challenging - what's the challenge for February?

Well done Dave!!!  Keep at it

2017-01-31 7:02 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 2500 yds in the pool today.

Nice job, Jenn!

2017-01-31 7:11 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning of arms and abs strength training. I'm less than two weeks from my HM, so no more leg lifting until after! Sure does go by fast when you only do half the workout! Later today I have a run scheduled. That run will be workout #40 for the year (January).

Just found out the track will be closed this weekend, so I'm left with either moving my long run up to Thursday or back to Sunday. I guess I could do it outside, but at 12 miles, it is hard to support with water (I hate to carry things when I run!!).
2017-01-31 7:13 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

It's been a good day!

I started off the day sending pictures of all my meals and food I'm eating to John to give me some accountability. I really appreciate it john! It kept me from having that cookie at lunch.

Then before a pool workout I had a nice conversation with a fellow triathlete who was just getting out of the water. Nice to talk to a guy with the same passion as ours. We talked gear and races - better than politics and talking religion.

Then my swim was good. The 750 yards was the longest and best since last year. I actually knocked a 100 out in less than 2 minutes just to prove to myself that I could still do it. BAM! Sometime things feel good - and I will take that for today.

Nicole - I'm looking forward to our lower back challenge.

Speaking of challenging - what's the challenge for February?

Great job Dave!!

My February challenge is to do at least 15 minutes of yoga every day. I need to get back to yoga. I don't think I've done any since July (maybe).
2017-01-31 7:13 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

'Morning, everyone.  Got in 1.1 miles @ 2.0 mph on the treadmill this morning.  I'm really sore for some reason after getting a relatively pain-free night's sleep.  This makes no sense but it's what I've been told to expect. 

I don't think I mentioned it here, but we had to say goodbye to a REALLY old friend over the weekend, my beloved 1997 Honda Accord.  I've been driving this car since July of 1997, and I think I've put 260K of the 270K miles that were on it.  After several months of dealing with clutch problems and basically pouring brake fluid and oil into it every week, plus putting about $1K into it to keep it running, we decided that the latest bill of $1400 to fix the clutch was just too much, so off she goes ("Black Beauty" was her name...) to the Maryland School for the Blind through a donation.

So we've replaced her with a 2010 Honda Fit that will eventually go to my daughter when she turns 16 next summer.  So this 6'3", 200 lb guy is driving around town in this little car LOL.  And it's purple.   Nice little car though - really quick but it revs crazy high on the highway.  It is a 5-speed (which we call "the Millenial anti-theft device"), so I'm happy.

2017-01-31 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

February goals are to increase walking volume to 3-4 miles/day, and then get cleared for cycling and swimming.

I think that's enough. 

2017-01-31 8:06 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by firebert

I had a WRX hatch that I loved....way more than the BRZ.  Unfortunately, it had a weld fail and was well out of warranty, so I got the BRZ almost three years ago.  It's not as fun, it's not as functional (though I found that I actually can fit my bike into it when it's packed into the soft bag I fly with), and the damn thing is a magnet for dings.  I've never in my life had a car get as many people opening doors into it, scratching it, whatever (and I've had a G35, an S2000, and a WRX previously...). 

If they bring a WRX (turbo'ed) hatch back into production, there's a strong chance I'll trade this in....though I'll probably get killed on the "condition" of the car with as many freaking dings as it has!

2017-01-31 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Hard ride this morning -- 8x2' @ 110% on 1:30 recovery plus 10' @ 85%.  I'm so glad my bike legs have come back to me!  It's weird switching between the Argon (will NOT be subject to the trainer) and my P2....the fit is a little different between them, but feels massively different for the first few minutes!  Very proud of my execution, and hoping things will get better on the long rides soon.

We also start track work again this week!  I'm excited now, and will probably be kicking myself when I'm actually doing it.  Haven't done any speed or hill work since....well, really since September, though did do some tempo work leading up to my end of October race. 

I think this marks the start of my build to Galveston 70.3.  I'm excited about it, but also tempering expectations, as I'll be somewhat under trained going into the race....so using it more as a "see where I am" race and targeting a race in June instead.

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery, Mike!  Take it easy and expect that you'll have good days and a few bad ones tossed in there.

Gretchen -- enjoy the last couple weeks before the HM!  Are you doing any running outside?  Is the race outside (on pavement)?  If so, consider doing a few runs outside (not necessarily the long one) to make sure your body is accustomed to it.

Jen -- keep up the good work in the pool!

Hope everyone else's training is going well....and more importantly, hope you're enjoying the occasional good beer (or wine or spirit)

2017-01-31 8:34 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
DQ, here it is again, but I will also send it through a fb message in case this doesn't work. Let me know what you pick! http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower-back-pain-10/slideshow-exercis... and then it's ON.

Mike, sounds like progress! I'm sure it will be hurting off an on for a bit. A good night's sleep is great though!

Nicole, that bike looks awesome and you look great on it! One of these days I hope to get an awesome bike like that!

I love seeing everyone's awesome progress so early in the year! Keep up the great work!

I'd be down for a yoga/stretching challenge in February! I need some motivation to get on my foam roller, and to get back into yoga. My hamstrings are TIGHT. This will go well with the lower back/core challenge with DQ, too!

Went to Masters practice last night. Forgot my watch, so I'm not sure exactly how far we swam in the hour. I was getting a little frustrated b/c 1) I found out I'm picking my head up a little when I'm breathing and wasting so much energy. 2) I'm in the second fastest lane so was trying to keep up with them doing a total of 19 100s (6 @ 1:45, 5 @ 1:40, 5 @ 1:45, 3 @ 1:35). I am not there yet though, so ended up doing some 75s instead. All while trying to fix my breathing, and failing. This will likely be a focus for the next few weeks.
2017-01-31 9:36 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

'Morning, everyone.  Got in 1.1 miles @ 2.0 mph on the treadmill this morning.  I'm really sore for some reason after getting a relatively pain-free night's sleep.  This makes no sense but it's what I've been told to expect. 

I don't think I mentioned it here, but we had to say goodbye to a REALLY old friend over the weekend, my beloved 1997 Honda Accord.  I've been driving this car since July of 1997, and I think I've put 260K of the 270K miles that were on it.  After several months of dealing with clutch problems and basically pouring brake fluid and oil into it every week, plus putting about $1K into it to keep it running, we decided that the latest bill of $1400 to fix the clutch was just too much, so off she goes ("Black Beauty" was her name...) to the Maryland School for the Blind through a donation.

So we've replaced her with a 2010 Honda Fit that will eventually go to my daughter when she turns 16 next summer.  So this 6'3", 200 lb guy is driving around town in this little car LOL.  And it's purple.   Nice little car though - really quick but it revs crazy high on the highway.  It is a 5-speed (which we call "the Millenial anti-theft device"), so I'm happy.

Ohhh...my condolences!!! We had to get rid of our 2000 Ford Explorer in March after 16 years and 250K miles. It was harder than it should have been.

How was your donation experience? We donated the explorer (Bailey) to the Human Society and it was such a pain! First, they tried to pick it up three days before they were scheduled to do so. I hadn't emptied it out yet. I had a bunch of work tools and stuff still inside. Thankfully, the garage owner stopped them from taking it. They were going to take it without the keys and title. Then, they didn't come on the say it was supposed to be taken. There was some screw up with the title transfer. Finally, about six months later I got a letter from a tow yard saying I owed them $1000 for services after they towed the vehicle from the highway where it had been abandoned. All in all it was a pretty terrible experience that I won't likely be repeating anytime soon.

2017-01-31 9:41 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Gretchen -- enjoy the last couple weeks before the HM!  Are you doing any running outside?  Is the race outside (on pavement)?  If so, consider doing a few runs outside (not necessarily the long one) to make sure your body is accustomed to it.

I do three runs a week outside, totaling 11miles (3,5,3). I've been doing the long run inside each week because of weather to start with, then when the longs runs got really long, it was just simpler to keep doing them inside where I can get water refills easily. The race is outside, on a mix of pavement and trails.
2017-01-31 9:46 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by jmhpsu93  It is a 5-speed (which we call "the Millenial anti-theft device"), so I'm happy.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry to hear about the soreness but great job getting out and doing it!  Later on you get to look back and say 'remember when I had to slow walk the treadmill and it hurt?  Glad that's done!'

2017-01-31 9:49 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by firebert

I had a WRX hatch that I loved....way more than the BRZ.  Unfortunately, it had a weld fail and was well out of warranty, so I got the BRZ almost three years ago.  It's not as fun, it's not as functional (though I found that I actually can fit my bike into it when it's packed into the soft bag I fly with), and the damn thing is a magnet for dings.  I've never in my life had a car get as many people opening doors into it, scratching it, whatever (and I've had a G35, an S2000, and a WRX previously...). 

If they bring a WRX (turbo'ed) hatch back into production, there's a strong chance I'll trade this in....though I'll probably get killed on the "condition" of the car with as many freaking dings as it has!

Loved the hatch!  It was so brief though, what two model years?  There's an Impreza hatch but no turbo yet  I liked the WRX wagon even better.  Probably never see that one again...

2017-01-31 9:57 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

Nicole - holy cow on the bike effrorts.  I REALLY need some sort of structure to my cycling.  My run workouts I've got nailed.  My swim workouts as well, though I'm not always able to do the speed work parts because I'm still so far behind on form.  My bike workouts are either for time (trainer) or distance (road) and that is it.  No efforts, no intervals, no nothing - just push as hard as I can for the time/distance and hope my avg speed is better than last time...

Nicole (can I call you 'ON' Original Nicole? haha) - those swim splits - MAN!  I know you can't win a tri in the water but it's not even funny how much slower I am there compared to the bike and run.  I'd have a better chance at competitively speaking Greek or something for the first leg.

Gretchen - good luck with the HM!  I'm targeting one for March but still on the fence of whether to do it.  I'm on point on the training plan for it though.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 41195 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.