of 190

2013-05-13 3:20 AM
in reply to: #4738355

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
tri808 - 2013-05-12 2:34 AM

Got in a race pace bike/run brick today that was good and bad.  Good because I had lots of power on the bike, bad because I used too much of it.  LOL.  The 3 mile run (supposed to be 4, but pulled the plug) wasn't a total disaster, but 13.1 miles would not have been pretty.  That being said, I think I have my RPE, HR, and power metrics dialed in for Honu.  The key will simply not being stubborn and stupid like I was today on the bike.  I told myself 20 times to back off because the metrics were telling me to, but I simply ignored them at times.

Jason, what are you using as a power goal?  How much leeway to go over it do you give yourself for hills, headwind etc?

2013-05-13 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Payson, AZ
Stage 2 of 8 days of California done.  Nicole, I agree, that last bit of stage 2 was rough.  I think it is the ride itself, not the 2 days.  I talked Kim into the challenge as well.  I am sure she'll be cursing me somewhere in today's ride.  lol
2013-05-13 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Raced a 10K this past weekend.  I was hoping to go under 38:30 and a long shot to go around 38:00 flat but did not turn out great.  I ran 38:58.  I am starting to re-evalutate my run training a little bit.  The effort was there but the result was not. 

I am thinking of going back to more of a Barry P approach again as I had great results with that.  I think my mileage has not been high enough.  Need to be around 30-35mpw consistently and I have been in the 20-25 mpw although high quality.   I think I can keep two quality runs in there but just get out more often for the easy ones.

2013-05-13 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4739476

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

bzgl40 - 2013-05-13 6:28 AM Stage 2 of 8 days of California done.  Nicole, I agree, that last bit of stage 2 was rough.  I think it is the ride itself, not the 2 days.  I talked Kim into the challenge as well.  I am sure she'll be cursing me somewhere in today's ride.  lol

You'll be glad to know that Stage 3 felt a lot more manageable than Stage 2!

I got up to do the ride this morning and realized that the "50 hour day" technically starts at 5am my time, but I was ready to ride at 4:15am....contemplated for about four seconds before I decided that I'm doing this for myself and not for prizes or whatever.  So I got on the trainer, knocked out the ride, and then saw that I was the first person to complete the ride!  I was pleasantly surprised that they gave me credit for it.

The guys at TrainerRoad have done a great job creating these rides.  I'll definitely need revenge on Stage 2 at some point, but need to worry about Stages 4-8 for now.

2013-05-13 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4739225

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
axteraa - 2013-05-13 4:15 AM
KansasMom - 2013-05-13 12:13 AM

I finally have swim video, thanks to my 12 year old son. Advice?

Mother's Day swim video

Your body position is pretty good with nice rotation and you look very comfortable and relaxed in the water - very important IMO.  You probably kick a little too much from your knees rather than the hips but the single biggest thing you can do to get faster is to work on the catch and pull at the beginning of your stroke to get your elbows higher.

I attached a screenshot from your video.  From the start of your stroke to this point, you are pushing water down rather than back.  I'm terrible at describing swim technique but take a look at this page on TJ Fry's website.  

http://badig.com/2009/01/underwater-pull-the-high-elbow/

The side by side picture at the bottom shows the difference in the angles you want to achieve.  This will also shift the muscles involved in the pull from the shoulder to more lats and triceps.  If you can make the change, this will probably get those muscles tired and sore a lot sooner but stick with it because it is crucial to good power delivery.

I am no fish but I would agree with Arend on your underwater pull.  You need to get your hand moving backward quicker at the start of the pull and propelling you forward.  You are pushing down on the water quite a bit.

Good stroke though!

2013-05-13 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4739490

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
rymac - 2013-05-13 10:34 AM

Raced a 10K this past weekend.  I was hoping to go under 38:30 and a long shot to go around 38:00 flat but did not turn out great.  I ran 38:58.  I am starting to re-evalutate my run training a little bit.  The effort was there but the result was not. 

I am thinking of going back to more of a Barry P approach again as I had great results with that.  I think my mileage has not been high enough.  Need to be around 30-35mpw consistently and I have been in the 20-25 mpw although high quality.   I think I can keep two quality runs in there but just get out more often for the easy ones.

Interesting, what do you feel was missing?  Just the extra endurance in your legs/lungs to keep the speed up for the whole 10k or you couldn't hit the target pace from the start?  Still a darn good time in my books.  

2013-05-13 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4739500

User image

Master
Central Kansas
rymac - 2013-05-13 8:37 AM

Mother's Day swim video

Your body position is pretty good with nice rotation and you look very comfortable and relaxed in the water - very important IMO.  You probably kick a little too much from your knees rather than the hips but the single biggest thing you can do to get faster is to work on the catch and pull at the beginning of your stroke to get your elbows higher.

I attached a screenshot from your video.  From the start of your stroke to this point, you are pushing water down rather than back.  I'm terrible at describing swim technique but take a look at this page on TJ Fry's website.  

The side by side picture at the bottom shows the difference in the angles you want to achieve.  This will also shift the muscles involved in the pull from the shoulder to more lats and triceps.  If you can make the change, this will probably get those muscles tired and sore a lot sooner but stick with it because it is crucial to good power delivery.

I am no fish but I would agree with Arend on your underwater pull.  You need to get your hand moving backward quicker at the start of the pull and propelling you forward.  You are pushing down on the water quite a bit.

Good stroke though!

Thank you both. I have been working on my pull, so I was disappointed to see how flat it was. I will keep working on it, and since I noticed the same thing, I think I will have my son record me more often, just so I can check it. I know intellectually what I need to do, it's making it happen that I am struggling with. Thanks for the link to Fry.
2013-05-13 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4739515

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
axteraa - 2013-05-13 9:43 AM

Interesting, what do you feel was missing?  Just the extra endurance in your legs/lungs to keep the speed up for the whole 10k or you couldn't hit the target pace from the start?  Still a darn good time in my books.  

Last year I was 38:41 and I had a phenomenal race.  This time I was planning to run the first 4 miles around 6:05 min/mi before the hills come in miles 5 & 6 and I was on point through the first 3 but I started fading a bit through mile 4 and fell off the pace.  The pace hurt like hell so I know the effort was there just not the result.  I feel like I have not done enough longer duration intervals near race pace and need more mileage and strength (hills) in my legs.

Maybe I am overreacting a bit.  Its just one race but usually I am pretty accurate at predicting what I can do at these running races.

2013-05-13 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4739515

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Seriously Ryan, you are venturing awfully close to back-door brag territory here...

I am interested too in hearing where you feel you fell short? From the little bit of information in your log it looks as if you did not warm up nearly enough (for me anyway), but everyone is different in that regard. Also that is a reasonably large race (4000+) - how did you seed yourself? You finished with a high placement; If you had to spend any time at all negotiating traffic at the beginning that can take a good bit out of you. I am guessing by the name of the race and the fact that it was in Michigan that it was a fairly flat race? How did you pace it out? Without a legit warmup I am guessing you aimed to negative split it (and probably did) but in my experience I am always fastest in an open 5k or 10k when I run a slight fade (it is extremely unpleasant though). There is a fair amount of data that shows that for fit age groupers the math just does not work to run a negative split in races under 10k - we just cannot run fast enough to make up the time we lose at the beginning even though conceptually it makes more sense. Lastly, you say it was windy, but I would bet with your time you found yourself Out in no-man's land by yourself. Around these parts anyway you have a lot of guys that can run sub-36, and then a lot of folks that run >42. There is always a LOT of empty space between those two groups. If you were out on your own in that Michigan wind for the duration, well there is your time right there.

I know it is no consolation, but I would be doing backflips if I could still run under 40.... Very nice job this weekend!

2013-05-13 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4739564

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
rymac - 2013-05-13 10:01 AM

Last year I was 38:41 and I had a phenomenal race.  This time I was planning to run the first 4 miles around 6:05 min/mi before the hills come in miles 5 & 6 and I was on point through the first 3 but I started fading a bit through mile 4 and fell off the pace.  The pace hurt like hell so I know the effort was there just not the result.  I feel like I have not done enough longer duration intervals near race pace and need more mileage and strength (hills) in my legs.

Maybe I am overreacting a bit.  Its just one race but usually I am pretty accurate at predicting what I can do at these running races.

Sorry Ryan, we are cross posting, but I also just checked your last year's result and you moved up in both the AG rank and Overall, which in smaller races that may not mean much, but when you have a sample size that large you can logically infer that the course was a little tougher this year. You can't discount that on an open course, especially with this crazy weather we have been having. What were the conditions like compared to last year? I know it was snowing yesterday in northern Michigan, but this time last year they were having a little heat wave.

2013-05-13 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4738369

User image

Master
Central Kansas
mndymond - 2013-05-12 1:55 AM So I'm melting. Lol. Jason, you wernt kidding when you said it has prob been a bit more humid. I did a 5k run once we got settled, groceries, etc--after dark--and I was red and drenched and had sucked back about 500ml of H2O. Alii Drive is hot!! haha. Going to stock up on some lytes/salt tabs when my friend and I go pick up her rental. I've decided I'm going to have to reverse my brick tomorrow and do my 90min run in the am before the sun and temp come in to play. I think I need a few more days before I'm hitting daytime runs. Kona! Kona! Kona! Kona!
This sounds like fun. After the crappy "spring" we've had, I could go for some heat and humidity.

2013-05-13 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4739604

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
TankBoy - 2013-05-13 10:20 AM

Sorry Ryan, we are cross posting, but I also just checked your last year's result and you moved up in both the AG rank and Overall, which in smaller races that may not mean much, but when you have a sample size that large you can logically infer that the course was a little tougher this year. You can't discount that on an open course, especially with this crazy weather we have been having. What were the conditions like compared to last year? I know it was snowing yesterday in northern Michigan, but this time last year they were having a little heat wave.

Good thoughts Rusty.  I usually do not warm up real long...I would say that was par for the course but maybe I need to lengthen it a bit.  You are correct in that it was definitely windier this year and I was all alone after 2 miles.  The temp was 47 deg which was actually perfect.

I actually lined up at the front with a Female pro triathlete who just took 5th OA at Nautica South Beach tri this year and she beat me by 10 seconds this year.  I beat her by 1 second last year .  I do think it may have been a touch slower course this year.

I guess I should stop whining !

2013-05-13 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4739557

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
KansasMom - 2013-05-13 9:58 AM

Mother's Day swim video

Good stroke though!

Thank you both. I have been working on my pull, so I was disappointed to see how flat it was. I will keep working on it, and since I noticed the same thing, I think I will have my son record me more often, just so I can check it. I know intellectually what I need to do, it's making it happen that I am struggling with. Thanks for the link to Fry.

Hey Felicia - you are a lot more brave than me to post a swimming video!

I cannot argue with the advice you have been given, but just wanted to chime in with some thoughts that helped me with similar issues. With kids whose neuromuscular pathways are still being formed you can drill them into good form, but for this set-in-my-ways old dog I have found that being able to connect with a visual image helps a lot more. It is probably important to point out that the description of what something feels like and what you are actually doing are two different things. The biggest visualization that helped with my pull was to think about anchoring my hand in place and then screwing my body forward to my hand, not pulling my hand backwards through the water. So it is like you are trying to hold your hand in place in the water and not allowing it to move - everything else moves forward and past your hand all the way to your hip. While it can promote other bad habits, my swim coach had me spend some time watching my hands relative to their position at the lane rope. It was crazy the difference this one little thing made for me. Another significant contributor to getting my catch and pull better was to spend some time learning a proper backstroke.

You can also try "raising the floor" of your pull. Because your hand is currently entering the water at your full extension, I don't think you have much choice other than to push it down further to begin your pull. If you shorten your entry point to where it is back closer to your head I have found it much easier to a)get a fuller arm extension and b) start my pull higher in the water (raising the floor). Also, where in your swim was the video taken? At the beginning, middle or end? What effort were you swimming? Easy, steady, fast? It looks like your arms are a little tight and not getting as full extension as you could - were you not warmed up fully or were you maybe getting tired? Without a frontal shot it is hard to tell, but it also looks like you might be crossing over your center line (especially with your left hand) both above and below water. This can also impede a good reach. If you are crossing over that will be a significant contributor to needing the 6 beat kick to maintain your balance as well. This is one of my issues also and I constantly have to remind myself to "swim wide" especially as i get a little fatigued. I swear it feels like my arms are pointed out at 45 degrees to my centerline when they enter the water correctly, but when I see video it looks normal - that is what is great about doing what you are doing with the video. What it feels like and what it looks like are often vastly different.

finally, While i do think you can get in trouble chasing only stroke count, yours is fairly high at 24~25 per 25. Incorporating a little distance per stroke work or even better yet swim golf (time plus stroke count is your score - lower score is better) here and there into your training can help a lot. At least it has for me.

so I cannot believe that I am giving swim advice, and this could all be very, very bad. About the best advice I can really give you is to keep swimming, and if anyone contradicts the rest of the advice I have shared, they are most likely right!

2013-05-13 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4739706

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
TankBoy - 2013-05-13 12:07 PM
KansasMom - 2013-05-13 9:58 AM

Mother's Day swim video

Good stroke though!

Hey Felicia - you are a lot more brave than me to post a swimming video!

I cannot argue with the advice you have been given, but just wanted to chime in with some thoughts that helped me with similar issues. With kids whose neuromuscular pathways are still being formed you can drill them into good form, but for this set-in-my-ways old dog I have found that being able to connect with a visual image helps a lot more. It is probably important to point out that the description of what something feels like and what you are actually doing are two different things. The biggest visualization that helped with my pull was to think about anchoring my hand in place and then screwing my body forward to my hand, not pulling my hand backwards through the water. So it is like you are trying to hold your hand in place in the water and not allowing it to move - everything else moves forward and past your hand all the way to your hip. While it can promote other bad habits, my swim coach had me spend some time watching my hands relative to their position at the lane rope. It was crazy the difference this one little thing made for me. Another significant contributor to getting my catch and pull better was to spend some time learning a proper backstroke.

You can also try "raising the floor" of your pull. Because your hand is currently entering the water at your full extension, I don't think you have much choice other than to push it down further to begin your pull. If you shorten your entry point to where it is back closer to your head I have found it much easier to a)get a fuller arm extension and b) start my pull higher in the water (raising the floor). Also, where in your swim was the video taken? At the beginning, middle or end? What effort were you swimming? Easy, steady, fast? It looks like your arms are a little tight and not getting as full extension as you could - were you not warmed up fully or were you maybe getting tired? Without a frontal shot it is hard to tell, but it also looks like you might be crossing over your center line (especially with your left hand) both above and below water. This can also impede a good reach. If you are crossing over that will be a significant contributor to needing the 6 beat kick to maintain your balance as well. This is one of my issues also and I constantly have to remind myself to "swim wide" especially as i get a little fatigued. I swear it feels like my arms are pointed out at 45 degrees to my centerline when they enter the water correctly, but when I see video it looks normal - that is what is great about doing what you are doing with the video. What it feels like and what it looks like are often vastly different.

finally, While i do think you can get in trouble chasing only stroke count, yours is fairly high at 24~25 per 25. Incorporating a little distance per stroke work or even better yet swim golf (time plus stroke count is your score - lower score is better) here and there into your training can help a lot. At least it has for me.

so I cannot believe that I am giving swim advice, and this could all be very, very bad. About the best advice I can really give you is to keep swimming, and if anyone contradicts the rest of the advice I have shared, they are most likely right!

Isn't that what I said?

That's some good stuff Rusty.  Describing things like that is where I struggle when trying to help people with their swim.  I can look at it and say "that's wrong" but no clue how to explain what to do about it.  

2013-05-13 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4739227

User image

Champion
axteraa - 2013-05-13 2:18 AM

mndymond - 2013-05-13 2:43 AM 15k run this am on Alii Drive and a 54 mi ride on the Queen K. Def a tailwind going north to Hawi right now. Had to fight it the whole way back home to Kona. Chilling out time now. Zzzzzzzz

I'm jealous!  You are in one of my favorite places in the world.  Are you staying right on Ali'i drive?

Yup. Right on Ali'i about 5k south of Kona town. We are right on White Sands Beach.
2013-05-13 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4739490

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
rymac - 2013-05-13 6:34 AM

I'm not much of a runner...so I will not give any advice.

Just wanted to say congrats! I think that is a smoking fast time

2013-05-13 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4739476

User image

Pro
NJ

bzgl40 - 2013-05-13 9:28 AM Stage 2 of 8 days of California done.  Nicole, I agree, that last bit of stage 2 was rough.  I think it is the ride itself, not the 2 days.  I talked Kim into the challenge as well.  I am sure she'll be cursing me somewhere in today's ride.  lol

Day 2 done. The last 20 mins were not fun, and yes there were words.  Yell 

2013-05-13 12:07 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
One of the spring traditions in NJ is underway. Black bears (mostly young males in search of new territory - or garbage cans) are making appearances all about town.  There were 3 sightings in the area I run during the last few days..... I live 30 miles from NYC. City bears. 
2013-05-13 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4739972

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
kcarroll - 2013-05-13 9:59 AM

bzgl40 - 2013-05-13 9:28 AM Stage 2 of 8 days of California done.  Nicole, I agree, that last bit of stage 2 was rough.  I think it is the ride itself, not the 2 days.  I talked Kim into the challenge as well.  I am sure she'll be cursing me somewhere in today's ride.  lol

Day 2 done. The last 20 mins were not fun, and yes there were words.  Yell 

Wooooo!!!  Three of us crazies in here

2013-05-13 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4739999

User image

Payson, AZ

kcarroll - 2013-05-13 10:07 AM One of the spring traditions in NJ is underway. Black bears (mostly young males in search of new territory - or garbage cans) are making appearances all about town.  There were 3 sightings in the area I run during the last few days..... I live 30 miles from NYC. City bears. 

hum, our bears will probably be out soon as well.  Thanks for the reminder.  So far though they should have plenty of food and I should be out of here before things really dry up

2013-05-13 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4739999

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

kcarroll - 2013-05-13 1:07 PM One of the spring traditions in NJ is underway. Black bears (mostly young males in search of new territory - or garbage cans) are making appearances all about town.  There were 3 sightings in the area I run during the last few days..... I live 30 miles from NYC. City bears. 

I'm a dozen miles from Boston and on my last 2 rides was attacked by a kamikaze chipmunk, a female turkey the size of a labrador (right out into the road - good thing I was going uphill, and slowly enough not to make turkey/carbon burgers) and a HUGE brown rock.

OK, the rock was actually a very large female deer on the left side of the road.  I was coming down a moderate hill in the middle of a Z4 rep and cooking, when this huge brown rock startles and - thank goodness - jumps into the woods and not the street. 

If you think my eyes went wide, you should have seen the cyclist going the other direction!  No bears, yet, though, and we haven't had a moose on the loose for a couple years (they are truly enormous beasts!).

Sounds funny, but spring wildlife is no joke on the bike.  Even that little chipmunk could mess you up in the wrong time/place...

Matt

2013-05-13 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4737826

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
axteraa - 2013-05-11 2:19 PM

I did our one and only TT this morning.  19.0 kms with ~600 feet of elevation - there isn't a lot of flat on this course, either going up or down.

http://app.strava.com/activities/53625317

I finished in 30:00 (again with the :00) and 275 watts.  Same TT last year was 272w and 31:37.  Difference this year was my Flo 60 wheel up front and I think better tires.  I'm not positive but I think I had Michelin Pro 3's last year and this year was a Gp4000s up front and a Vittoria EVO Triathlon on the back.  There was very little wind this year as well - I suspect that played a big role in the faster time.

Oh and I had the fastest time overall but none of the fast roadies or tri guys showed up so the field was a tad diluted.  

Awesome power profile - just rock steady.

Question, if you don't mind the prying:  what is your FTP (opportunity for a brag, right there!)?  Just curious how that compares to a TT effort of this length (I'm assuming you were targeting almost exactly 275, as it was so steady).

It would be helpful in figuring my power ratios for some interval work I'm doing, so it'd be much appreciated, as the received wisdom from Strava might not be spot on.  Wink

Matt

2013-05-13 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4739675

Master
Northern IL
rymac - 2013-05-13 9:50 AM
TankBoy - 2013-05-13 10:20 AM

Good thoughts Rusty.  I usually do not warm up real long...I would say that was par for the course but maybe I need to lengthen it a bit.  You are correct in that it was definitely windier this year and I was all alone after 2 miles.  The temp was 47 deg which was actually perfect.

I actually lined up at the front with a Female pro triathlete who just took 5th OA at Nautica South Beach tri this year and she beat me by 10 seconds this year.  I beat her by 1 second last year .  I do think it may have been a touch slower course this year.

I guess I should stop whining !

I wouldn't necessarily change anything based off only one race. Likely conditions of the day and sometimes people are just off. Keep going unless you haven't been happy with the progression over time. Well, you could try more if you like, but wouldn't do it just because of one day.

2013-05-13 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4740152

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
mcmanusclan5 - 2013-05-13 3:17 PM
axteraa - 2013-05-11 2:19 PM

I did our one and only TT this morning.  19.0 kms with ~600 feet of elevation - there isn't a lot of flat on this course, either going up or down.

http://app.strava.com/activities/53625317

I finished in 30:00 (again with the :00) and 275 watts.  Same TT last year was 272w and 31:37.  Difference this year was my Flo 60 wheel up front and I think better tires.  I'm not positive but I think I had Michelin Pro 3's last year and this year was a Gp4000s up front and a Vittoria EVO Triathlon on the back.  There was very little wind this year as well - I suspect that played a big role in the faster time.

Oh and I had the fastest time overall but none of the fast roadies or tri guys showed up so the field was a tad diluted.  

Awesome power profile - just rock steady.

Question, if you don't mind the prying:  what is your FTP (opportunity for a brag, right there!)?  Just curious how that compares to a TT effort of this length (I'm assuming you were targeting almost exactly 275, as it was so steady).

It would be helpful in figuring my power ratios for some interval work I'm doing, so it'd be much appreciated, as the received wisdom from Strava might not be spot on.  Wink

Matt

My last test (indoors on a trainer) put my FTP right around 270.  Target for the race was 270-275 for the steady sections and a bit higher for the hills.  

2013-05-14 6:58 AM
in reply to: #4740329

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I had a good trainer ride this morning and will be doing a tough run workout at lunch.  I'm thinking I didn't bring enough food with me to eat over the day...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190