BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-23 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2304777

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-07-23 7:50 PM For the record, I officially hate yellow jackets.  Got stung four times.  Granted, I really didn't like the stinging part, but the location is what's getting me - on my left arm just below the elbow - or to put it words triathlete's would understand - right where I rest my arms on my aerobars.  Well, I guess I was due for a couple recovery days anyway.  - I don't like this whole "not training" thing, but my body definitely needs it.  Hope everyone has a good weekend. 

ouch!

2009-07-23 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2304459

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kt65 - 2009-07-23 3:20 PM
BigReub - 2009-07-23 10:21 AM
tahrens - 2009-07-23 10:49 AM

WOW, that concert music brings back memories of hours spend skating round and round the skating rink.  POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME!!!!!!!!   Gotta love '80s music.  I'm off to plug Poison into Pandora now. Thanks for the inspiration.

That's funny.  My wife said the exact same thing yesterday as we were driving and listening to a Poison/Bon Jovi/Great White/ John Cougar Mellencamp (who happens to be from my home town, BTW) compilation made by her sister.

Does anybody make really great music anymore?  Other than maybe the Black Eyed Peas - of course, Fergie could stand on stage and do sign language and I'd like it Laughing
LOVE FERGIE and the BEP's. They are awesome for tempo runs!!!

MUSIC WHILE RUNNING?  KIM--don't you know you cannot be truly tough if you don't go without it? I have officially given it up on all my runs and have been totally fine, but  I didn't promise to give it up during races. Still debating that issue for Saturday. 

2009-07-23 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2304814

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2009-07-23 5:20 PM

WOW, that concert music brings back memories of hours spend skating round and round the skating rink.  POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME!!!!!!!!   Gotta love '80s music.  I'm off to plug Poison into Pandora now. Thanks for the inspiration.

That's funny.  My wife said the exact same thing yesterday as we were driving and listening to a Poison/Bon Jovi/Great White/ John Cougar Mellencamp (who happens to be from my home town, BTW) compilation made by her sister.

Does anybody make really great music anymore?  Other than maybe the Black Eyed Peas - of course, Fergie could stand on stage and do sign language and I'd like it Laughing

MUSIC WHILE RUNNING?  KIM--don't you know you cannot be truly tough if you don't go without it? I have officially given it up on all my runs and have been totally fine, but  I didn't promise to give it up during races. Still debating that issue for Saturday. 

MUSIC during a RACE???!!! I have never ever raced with music. I thought it was against the rules! Aiyah!
2009-07-23 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2304814

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2009-07-23 8:20 PM

My ipod case broke last year and haven't run with it since.

Music in a race Heresy....
2009-07-23 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Small Town
I stopped listening to music while running early this year.  Honestly, it's one of the better decisions I've made to improve my running.  I feel that I can *listen* to my body better and have  a better sense for whats happening around me.  No problems fixing an earpiece that isn't setting on my ear well or cords bouncing around or rubbing on me wrong.

At least try to take a break from music while running for a month.  see if you improve overall as a runner.
2009-07-24 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2305025

User image

Champion
Now I am looking to add music to the swim to make it a bit more interesting.

2009-07-24 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Good morning group!  I hope everyone has a nice weekend.  I'm looking forward to my race on Sunday and I have
re-thought my goals since I didn't quite put in the quality workouts that I needed in July.  I'm going to have fun and try to better last year's time. 

This race was my first tri 2 years ago so it holds a special place in my heart. 

First year - 1:35 / Second  year - 1:15 / This year 1:12-1:13.
2009-07-24 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

JHagerman - 2009-07-23 9:53 PM I stopped listening to music while running early this year.  Honestly, it's one of the better decisions I've made to improve my running.  I feel that I can *listen* to my body better and have  a better sense for whats happening around me.  No problems fixing an earpiece that isn't setting on my ear well or cords bouncing around or rubbing on me wrong.

At least try to take a break from music while running for a month.  see if you improve overall as a runner.

I still need the music for the time being.  It helps me enjoy the running that I would othewise dread.  I think that will change once I become a better runner though!

2009-07-24 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2305451

User image

Expert
ashort33 - 2009-07-24 8:46 AM

JHagerman - 2009-07-23 9:53 PM I stopped listening to music while running early this year.  Honestly, it's one of the better decisions I've made to improve my running.  I feel that I can *listen* to my body better and have  a better sense for whats happening around me.  No problems fixing an earpiece that isn't setting on my ear well or cords bouncing around or rubbing on me wrong.

I still need the music for the time being.  It helps me enjoy the running that I would othewise dread.  I think that will change once I become a better runner though!

I think running w/ music is fine.  I don't use it at the track b/c it can be distracting and I want to be aware of the pain I'm in.  LOL  But there are times when I love the peace and quiet of the cool mornings to run in silence.  So I don't see the harm on long, easy runs. 

I am against using headphones in a race.  It is annoying to come up on people who aren't aware of their surrounding in a race b/c they can't hear.

2009-07-24 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2305239

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2009-07-24 6:56 AM Now I am looking to add music to the swim to make it a bit more interesting.

Tony

I have a brand new music thingy and won't every be using it.  You put your IPOD shuffle in it and it is totally waterproof.  It is the Natalie Coughlin one that you see on Active.com.   Do you want it?

Suzy
2009-07-24 9:38 AM

User image

Champion

I actually agree with this.  I never used to listen to music and then once I got asthma, my doctor actually recommended it as a way to avoid listening to my wheezing when running really hard.  My IPOD is like my crack pipe.  Having gone without it for about a week, I am back to my old self, however I haven't exerted myself the same way I do in a race yet.  That is why I am questioning it for tomorrow.  I really hate hearing the sound of me breathing when I almost can't .  If that makes any sense at all.  I'm thinking I will take it, wear it and only turn it on if things get ugly.

2009-07-24 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2305506

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

sdalessio - 2009-07-24 9:10 AM

I think running w/ music is fine.  I don't use it at the track b/c it can be distracting and I want to be aware of the pain I'm in.  LOL  But there are times when I love the peace and quiet of the cool mornings to run in silence.  So I don't see the harm on long, easy runs. 

I am against using headphones in a race.  It is annoying to come up on people who aren't aware of their surrounding in a race b/c they can't hear.

X2

2009-07-24 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Hi gang . bwetween work and training havent had time to get on here. I have been training just no time to log and basically exhuasted by the time I get home.

have a great weekend everyone.and good luck to everyone racing. Have a great time.

2009-07-24 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2305644

User image

Champion
ashort33 - 2009-07-24 9:49 AM

sdalessio - 2009-07-24 9:10 AM

X2

I'm going on record as disagreeing on wearing earphones while running a race.  What exactly bugs you about it?  No one I know gets out of the way of someone else in a race regardless of whether or not they are wearing earphones so what's the beef?  
2009-07-24 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2305983

User image

Champion
Well I found out how far I can run sockless before my shoes rub.  Seems to be right around 3 miles.  Went out for a 5 mile run today and since I previously ran 2 miles sockless I figured that I would be ok.

Shoes started rubbing badly around mile 3 so I ended up walking the last 2 miles bareoot back home..

Guess it's going to be socks again this weekend.

As for running with music during a race I don't like it because it's normally against the rules, dunno just seems rude to tune everyone else out.  LOL, I have no idea why I think that way, just do, maybe it's because I am chatty when I race.

EDIT:  I also think it's crazy to ride with music on but all the roadies I know pretty much always ride that way.

To each his own I suppose for both riding and racing with music.

Edited by dalessit 2009-07-24 1:07 PM
2009-07-24 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2306121

User image

Elite
san francisco
dalessit - 2009-07-24 11:05 AM

Well I found out how far I can run sockless before my shoes rub.  Seems to be right around 3 miles.  Went out for a 5 mile run today and since I previously ran 2 miles sockless I figured that I would be ok.

Shoes started rubbing badly around mile 3 so I ended up walking the last 2 miles bareoot back home..

As for running with music during a race I don't like it because it's normally against the rules, dunno just seems rude to tune everyone else out.  LOL, I have no idea why I think that way, just do, maybe it's because I am chatty when I race.

EDIT:  I also think it's crazy to ride with music on but all the roadies I know pretty much always ride that way.

Tony, that reminds me of this woman during the race Sunday, I was headed out at about my 4 mile point, so she was prob at the 9 mile point returning, holding her running shoes and running in socks. At a decent pace, I might add! I happened to glance up and she was smiling...she said "Just keeping it Real" and I smiled and encouraged her with a "Hardcore!!!" Nice JOB! It really hit home that we do whatever it takes sometimes just to finish, and I love that about triathlon, because if you can do that after biking 56 miles, you can pretty much take on whatever life cooks up for you!

Btw, I love riding w/ my Ipod, but I only leave the right earbud in so I can hear cars/other riders coming up on the left. Ok, Suzy, maybe I'll try no Ipod for awhile and see if it toughens me up. I'm so curious to see what my ranking was for the AG in each discipline. I'm still shocked! You'd think for a race that big, they'd be able to do it easily and right away!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Edited by kt65 2009-07-24 1:18 PM

2009-07-24 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2306121

User image

Expert
dalessit - 2009-07-24 1:05 PM Well I found out how far I can run sockless before my shoes rub.  Seems to be right around 3 miles.  Went out for a 5 mile run today and since I previously ran 2 miles sockless I figured that I would be ok.

You are such a wuss!

As far as the music - ditto w/ Tony about the against the rules and rudeness factor plus if you did have to get someone's attention it would be hard.  I have gone past people w/ ipods and they are just oblivious to the world.  Plus I've had people wander in my line just b/c they don't realize there is another runner behind them.

Now bikers and people running on the trail really get me.  If I run w/ music, I keep it low or use one ear piece so I can hear other people.  I had one dude enter a trail the other day and totally cut me off.  We were both on bikes.  He never looked to see if it was clear nor could he hear me coming or hear me yelling at him when he almost took me out.

I think it just comes down to common sense and not being rude which many people but not all lack.
2009-07-24 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2306185

User image

Champion
sdalessio - 2009-07-24 1:21 PM
dalessit - 2009-07-24 1:05 PM Well I found out how far I can run sockless before my shoes rub.  Seems to be right around 3 miles.  Went out for a 5 mile run today and since I previously ran 2 miles sockless I figured that I would be ok.

You are such a wuss!

As far as the music - ditto w/ Tony about the against the rules and rudeness factor plus if you did have to get someone's attention it would be hard.  I have gone past people w/ ipods and they are just oblivious to the world.  Plus I've had people wander in my line just b/c they don't realize there is another runner behind them.

Now bikers and people running on the trail really get me.  If I run w/ music, I keep it low or use one ear piece so I can hear other people.  I had one dude enter a trail the other day and totally cut me off.  We were both on bikes.  He never looked to see if it was clear nor could he hear me coming or hear me yelling at him when he almost took me out.

I think it just comes down to common sense and not being rude which many people but not all lack.

Totally agree on not biking with music, still don't agree with the run, but to each his own.  USTAF actually recinded the rule about no earphones during running.  Even the Boston marathon now only discourages it, but says they allow it.  Too many AG'ers providing revenue to eliminate them. 

Did we ever get a final tally on the racers? Tony,Sam, me....anyone else?  I have a busy weekend with the race and the Opera in the Park tomorrow night and then a big bike and dinner with my birth mom and her husband on Sunday.

Make it a good one.
Suzy
2009-07-24 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2306209

User image

Expert
SSMinnow - 2009-07-24 1:30 PM

You are such a wuss!

Totally agree on not biking with music, still don't agree with the run, but to each his own.  USTAF actually recinded the rule about no earphones during running.  Even the Boston marathon now only discourages it, but says they allow it.  Too many AG'ers providing revenue to eliminate them. 

Did we ever get a final tally on the racers? Tony,Sam, me....anyone else?  I have a busy weekend with the race and the Opera in the Park tomorrow night and then a big bike and dinner with my birth mom and her husband on Sunday.

Make it a good one.
Suzy

TGIF!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!  :-

Have a good race w or w/o earphones.  ;-)

Not sure if anyone else is racing.  Tony and I are supposed to see Harry Potter tonight.  The kids are going to the beach w/ Nana and Grandpa.  May the force be with them.  LOL
2009-07-24 2:05 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
okay, quick change of subject. my phone is old. i am ready to upgrade to either a blackberry (curve, i think) or a palm pre. I have sprint, so can't get an iphone. anyone have any suggestions or reasons for one or the other?
2009-07-24 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SSMinnow - 2009-07-24 2:30 PM

You are such a wuss!

Make it a good one.
Suzy

I'm going to give it a go..  I'm definitely swimming and biking and giving the run a go.  My leg feels pretty good.  I'm just nervous about the run because I haven't run in over a week.  Also i just picked-up all my race stuff and went through the mandatory orientation so my mind says "now I have to race."   Tomorrow there are tours and a mandatory bike drop.  Many people are setting-up their transition the night before the race (sat) and going to the swim directly on race day (since the swim start is around a mile away from the transition).  I'm not sure how they get comfortable leaving their stuff overnight considering nature, it may rain the night before.

Edited by trying1 2009-07-24 2:09 PM

2009-07-24 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
dalessit - 2009-07-24 1:05 PM

Make it a good one.
Suzy

My first Oly is on Sunday.  I have my rented wetsuit all ready to go.  I have really enjoyed swimming in it.  Hm, I think my husband might be getting me one for Christmas...   Now, I just hope the race is wetsuit legal!

Good luck to everyone else racing.

Karen
2009-07-24 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2306304

User image

Extreme Veteran
kt65 - 2009-07-24 3:05 PM okay, quick change of subject. my phone is old. i am ready to upgrade to either a blackberry (curve, i think) or a palm pre. I have sprint, so can't get an iphone. anyone have any suggestions or reasons for one or the other?

I had the blackberry curve and loved it.  I recently switched to the iphone and wish I didn't.  If you're using it for work, I don't think anything is better than the bb.
2009-07-24 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2306311

User image

Elite
san francisco
gadgetlaw - 2009-07-24 12:07 PM

QUOTE]

My first Oly is on Sunday.  I have my rented wetsuit all ready to go.  I have really enjoyed swimming in it.  Hm, I think my husband might be getting me one for Christmas...   Now, I just hope the race is wetsuit legal!

Good luck to everyone else racing.

Karen

Good luck, Karen!!! You are going to do GREAT!
2009-07-24 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2306308

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2009-07-24 2:06 PM

You are such a wuss!

Make it a good one.
Suzy

I'm going to give it a go..  I'm definitely swimming and biking and giving the run a go.  My leg feels pretty good.  I'm just nervous about the run because I haven't run in over a week.  Also i just picked-up all my race stuff and went through the mandatory orientation so my mind says "now I have to race."   Tomorrow there are tours and a mandatory bike drop.  Many people are setting-up their transition the night before the race (sat) and going to the swim directly on race day (since the swim start is around a mile away from the transition).  I'm not sure how they get comfortable leaving their stuff overnight considering nature, it may rain the night before.

The swim is a MILE away? Do you have to run that whole way or is the swim a point to point?  For your sake, I hope so.  Good luck and have fun.

Karen, knock'em dead. You are ready.  You have practiced in that wetsuit so zip it up and stay tough!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383