BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-08-17 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

I know you all know this already but I'm going to say it anyway.

GUESS WHAT TIME IT IS????    IT'S TAPER TIME!!!!

I NEVER thought this time would arrive.  The bike and gear bag are already on their way to Penticton. I was so giddy at bike drop off.  My Doug was just laughing at me but very happy.  I think my body knows it's taper time, I am so tired and hungry!   

I can completely commiserate with the training stories from the past week. I was caught in a monsoon (with all the lightning and thunder to boot) while I was trying to ride a pair of aero wheels for practice.  THAT WAS NOT COOL!!   Yesterday I had to swim 4000yds in a pool - talk about boredom.  

I am going to be the coolest looking chick at that race with the hottest equipment - none of which is mine.  I am borrowing my coaches wetsuit ($900), Ryan's ZIPPS (can only imagine the cost), my husband's aero helmet ($250).  So be sure and take my picture as I am sitting up climbing Richter Pass at 9mph.

Sorry I am rambling here. I would have thought I'd be a nervous wreck but actually I am so excited!  Bring it on!!!

2011-08-17 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3646943

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
tahrens - 2011-08-17 9:10 AM

I NEVER thought this time would arrive.  The bike and gear bag are already on their way to Penticton. I was so giddy at bike drop off.  My Doug was just laughing at me but very happy.  I think my body knows it's taper time, I am so tired and hungry!   

I can completely commiserate with the training stories from the past week. I was caught in a monsoon (with all the lightning and thunder to boot) while I was trying to ride a pair of aero wheels for practice.  THAT WAS NOT COOL!!   Yesterday I had to swim 4000yds in a pool - talk about boredom.  

I am going to be the coolest looking chick at that race with the hottest equipment - none of which is mine.  I am borrowing my coaches wetsuit ($900), Ryan's ZIPPS (can only imagine the cost), my husband's aero helmet ($250).  So be sure and take my picture as I am sitting up climbing Richter Pass at 9mph.

Sorry I am rambling here. I would have thought I'd be a nervous wreck but actually I am so excited!  Bring it on!!!

This just cracked me up!!  Choked on my oatmeal.

2011-08-17 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
tahrens - 2011-08-17 8:10 AM

Awesome Tracy!  It must be a wonderful feeling right now.  Keep riding the high all the way to the finish.  We will be there with you. 

2011-08-17 9:27 AM

User image

Master

So awesome, Tracy!! Ryan's wheels are so fun!! My entire family very quickly became good at treating them well -- just explaining how they cost more than the bike I was riding did the trick. I think my daughter thinks ZIPPS are part gold.

Speaking of Ryan... and Steve... I just have to say how awesome they are. For all of the s$#!%-slinging that goes on around here, they are each such a class act. OK, well, maybe not classy when it comes to Steve...

Thanks, guys, for the encouragement on Cougar the few times I've run there with you. Usually I don't see Ryan as he zooms off with the fasties. Last night he hung out with Julia and me and Steve. The runs on Cougar are HARD (for me!) and I know if I were out there by myself I'd find so many excuses to walk hills and cut the runs short. I tried to walk once -- Steve literally PUSHED me into action again and would not let me slack. Ryan did let me take a few steps towards the end -- I think he feels sorry for me.

Anyway, it was a fabulous evening. The run was not easy at all, but it's all about the company you keep and it was awesome. I really wish I could make it out there more frequently. Julia, on her "tired" Danskin legs was an animal. I don't think Julia does tired!!

Oh, and let's all send a group hug of support Steve's way -- he's too modest to talk about it but he's going under the knife on Thursday to heal a torn meniscus. Yeah, somehow he has kept running those hills. HEAL QUICKLY!!!

2011-08-17 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3647089

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
kkcbelle - 2011-08-17 7:27 AM

So awesome, Tracy!! Ryan's wheels are so fun!! My entire family very quickly became good at treating them well -- just explaining how they cost more than the bike I was riding did the trick. I think my daughter thinks ZIPPS are part gold.

Speaking of Ryan... and Steve... I just have to say how awesome they are. For all of the s$#!%-slinging that goes on around here, they are each such a class act. OK, well, maybe not classy when it comes to Steve...

Thanks, guys, for the encouragement on Cougar the few times I've run there with you. Usually I don't see Ryan as he zooms off with the fasties. Last night he hung out with Julia and me and Steve. The runs on Cougar are HARD (for me!) and I know if I were out there by myself I'd find so many excuses to walk hills and cut the runs short. I tried to walk once -- Steve literally PUSHED me into action again and would not let me slack. Ryan did let me take a few steps towards the end -- I think he feels sorry for me.

Anyway, it was a fabulous evening. The run was not easy at all, but it's all about the company you keep and it was awesome. I really wish I could make it out there more frequently. Julia, on her "tired" Danskin legs was an animal. I don't think Julia does tired!!

Oh, and let's all send a group hug of support Steve's way -- he's too modest to talk about it but he's going under the knife on Thursday to heal a torn meniscus. Yeah, somehow he has kept running those hills. HEAL QUICKLY!!!

WTH????  Next time I won't push you in the back.... Let you find your own way to the car!

2011-08-17 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3647108

User image

Master
swbkrun - 2011-08-17 7:41 AM
kkcbelle - 2011-08-17 7:27 AM

WTH????  Next time I won't push you in the back.... Let you find your own way to the car!

Ha ha!!!

XOXO

You know I couldn't write a nice post about you without getting one dig in. I appreciated the push in the back. And thank heavens you don't leave me on my own. I would have ended up at Red Town begging a cell phone and calling I-don't-know-who...!!! Ha!!

Thanks again!!

2011-08-17 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Interesting article for all you "Taper" people.....

10 days .....

25 days....

& Good luck with the Knee Sensei!!!

2011-08-17 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3647319

User image

Elite
Raleigh
badgerintx - 2011-08-17 12:22 PM

10 days .....

25 days....

That article is by my coach. He was "inspired" to write it after many of his athletes, including me, reported on our races in July at the Triangle Triathlon.

2011-08-17 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3647089

User image

kkcbelle - 2011-08-17 10:27 AM

So true. They set the same tone on the trails as they do on the MG - welcoming, encouraging, and humorous. But don't let Steve catch you walking the hills!! Thanks for letting me tag along again, and for making me feel so welcome. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Steve!

2011-08-17 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3647356

User image

Elite
san francisco
DougRob - 2011-08-17 9:36 AM

10 days .....

25 days....

That article is by my coach. He was "inspired" to write it after many of his athletes, including me, reported on our races in July at the Triangle Triathlon.

Very cool! Great reminder to stay positive during tough times...that can be the difference maker between a session that makes you or breaks you. Hey, if everyone can say a prayer for a high school, college friend of mine undergoing triple bypass surgery this morning, it would be much appreciated! Mike is a 45 year old dad of two 3 year old twins and he was trying to get back in shape recently, had a few dizzy spells on the treadmill and went to the doc for a check up...doctors admitted him immediately at his check up! Yikes, so dang it, we should count our blessings and pat ourselves on the back for living the healthy lifestyle.
2011-08-17 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3647385

User image

Elite
Raleigh
kt65 - 2011-08-17 12:48 PM
DougRob - 2011-08-17 9:36 AM

10 days .....

25 days....

Very cool! Great reminder to stay positive during tough times...that can be the difference maker between a session that makes you or breaks you. Hey, if everyone can say a prayer for a high school, college friend of mine undergoing triple bypass surgery this morning, it would be much appreciated! Mike is a 45 year old dad of two 3 year old twins and he was trying to get back in shape recently, had a few dizzy spells on the treadmill and went to the doc for a check up...doctors admitted him immediately at his check up! Yikes, so dang it, we should count our blessings and pat ourselves on the back for living the healthy lifestyle.

Prayers sent. Funny timing. Yesterday I wrote won the name of 3 tests I want my doctor to perform at my next physical later ths year. 1) Coronary calcium scan, 2) Ultrasound of the carotid artery, and 3) LDL small particle test. These combined give a very good evaluation of the health of your blood vessels and heart. Heart issues run in my family and are the biggest risk I face. I want to get ahead of the curve here and not wait until it is too late. With these tests I can learn whether I have any plaque build-up and make adjustments as needed without surgery.

We now return to your regularly scheduled tapering....

2011-08-17 12:06 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

WOW, I just woke up and realized it's Wednesday!!!!

Ok, not really....I actually forgot it was Wendesday.....thankfully someone who writes late RR's reminded me!!  So, who is brave enough to swim the swim, bike the bike and run the run this weekend???  Details Peeps, including strategy.

2011-08-17 2:13 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I am racing the Sprint that goes through my neighborhood. This is the 2nd year for this race. Linda (Havin'Fun)'s husband and two sons are racing it too as a relay. We are hosting a BBQ afterward at my house again this year! Should be fun.

I get a kick out of the fact that this race attracts a lot of first timer's because the distances look reasonable (250 yard swim, 10 mile bike, 5K run), but the bike and run are in fact HILLY!! The bike is an out-and-back with a turn-around in a cul de sac. You lose all speed you built up coming down into the cul de sac before exiting it up hill. The run in a trough with the steepest climb just before the flat finish.

Should be fun. (Aside: this race looked like it would have a light field up until 3 days ago, now there are only 15 of 350 spots left. The latest person to enter was last years winner.)

2011-08-17 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3647431

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2011-08-17 12:06 PM

Ok, not really....I actually forgot it was Wendesday.....thankfully someone who writes late RR's reminded me!!  So, who is brave enough to swim the swim, bike the bike and run the run this weekend???  Details Peeps, including strategy.

No racing for me.  Heading to Minocqua tomorrow for a long weekend....and a little biking!

2011-08-17 8:04 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
SSMinnow - 2011-08-17 1:06 PM

I'll be towing the line this weekend.  First HIM, Timberman, and I'm a wee bit nervous to say the least.  Strategy?  Keep it nice and easy til mi 3 of the run and, hopefully, get to and keep the same pace from my race a couple weeks ago. But lots of uncertainty.  Just want to go out to have fun, finish, and see how I like the longer distance.

2011-08-17 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
SSMinnow - 2011-08-17 12:06 PM

No racing for me.  Originally I was racing in a Masters Crit this weekend, but I just found out this PM that it was canceled.  So instead I will be riding the 70-mile "Drop the Doc" group ride with a bunch of guys from a team that I have been courting for the last couple of weeks for a ride for next year.  Hope the legs come around for lots of jumps and attacks this weekend!  Laughing

Good luck to all our Racers ......  REPRESENT!!!

& to all our taper'er's ....  Keep your Sanity!!!

2011-08-17 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3648157

User image

Champion
marietta
mighty mom - 2011-08-17 9:04 PM

I'll be towing the line this weekend.  First HIM, Timberman, and I'm a wee bit nervous to say the least.  Strategy?  Keep it nice and easy til mi 3 of the run and, hopefully, get to and keep the same pace from my race a couple weeks ago. But lots of uncertainty.  Just want to go out to have fun, finish, and see how I like the longer distance.

hold up.  you meant "keep it easy til mile 10.3 of the run", right!?!   HAVE FUN!!!!

2011-08-17 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3648195

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
fattyfatfat - 2011-08-17 8:31 PM

hold up.  you meant "keep it easy til mile 10.3 of the run", right!?!   HAVE FUN!!!!

When you are "towing" the line versus "toeing" the line .... it gets heavy and you gotta start early!!   Laughing

Good luck in your HIM, and remember what a couple of wise men told me once, "Glacial Pace outta T2"

2011-08-17 8:41 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

good to see taper is full effect for the IMC peeps.

good luck racing peeps.  5k for me this weekend but wish i was up at timberman. 

need help from the fish.  i changed my turn and i'm now coming off the wall now on my back as opposed to what i was doing which i'm not really sure what i was doing.  i like it because i get to watch the bubbles which is cool.  BUT... i'm getting a ton more water in my ear. i used to just put alcohol in it and it would clear up quick.  no such luck nowadays.  any thoughts?

edit... war eagle on the florida ironman course!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-08-17 8:43 PM
2011-08-17 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3648202

User image

Elite
san francisco
badgerintx - 2011-08-17 6:38 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-08-17 8:31 PM

When you are "towing" the line versus "toeing" the line .... it gets heavy and you gotta start early!!   Laughing

Good luck in your HIM, and remember what a couple of wise men told me once, "Glacial Pace outta T2"

who you callin' a man?  dayum, Dino. 

Good luck, Christina, you are going to do great...remember to have fun out there and remember all of my T2 tricks. 

2011-08-17 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
SSMinnow - 2011-08-17 3:06 PM

I have an OLY on Sunday.  I've done this one twice before (it was actually my first tri 2 years ago).  This year the bike and run courses have changed completely.   The bike used to take you 40 km away from the swim, but due to earthquake damage to the roads, they are making it a loop course near the lake.   I am hoping that means slightly lower temps for the run.    Strategy: easy on the swim, hard on the bike and then try to push the run a little harder than I have the past two races.

Question on "glacial": do you use this approach for the Oly run too?  If so, how slow do you try to hold the pace out of T2 and how long do you hold that pace?   Zone 2 heart rate?  Zone 3 heart rate? (or explain relative to normal long run training pace)

2011-08-18 12:33 AM
in reply to: #3648209

User image

Pro
fattyfatfat - 2011-08-17 6:41 PM

need help from the fish.  i changed my turn and i'm now coming off the wall now on my back as opposed to what i was doing which i'm not really sure what i was doing.  i like it because i get to watch the bubbles which is cool.  BUT... i'm getting a ton more water in my ear. i used to just put alcohol in it and it would clear up quick.  no such luck nowadays.  any thoughts?

Ear wax and chlorine don't mix... Nasty combo.  Clean that pig out before you swim !!!  Good luck all racers this weekend.  

2011-08-18 12:38 AM
in reply to: #3648285

User image

Pro
dcon - 2011-08-17 7:40 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-08-17 3:06 PM

I have an OLY on Sunday.  I've done this one twice before (it was actually my first tri 2 years ago).  This year the bike and run courses have changed completely.   The bike used to take you 40 km away from the swim, but due to earthquake damage to the roads, they are making it a loop course near the lake.   I am hoping that means slightly lower temps for the run.    Strategy: easy on the swim, hard on the bike and then try to push the run a little harder than I have the past two races.

Question on "glacial": do you use this approach for the Oly run too?  If so, how slow do you try to hold the pace out of T2 and how long do you hold that pace?   Zone 2 heart rate?  Zone 3 heart rate? (or explain relative to normal long run training pace)

I would honestly say that since you have done this race before and done Oly's before you should not be "pacing" the run.  You should know your limit, and be running right on the edge of being crushed... You know what you can/should run a 10k in...   Last 2x... 52 min, 54 min.... That's sub 9:00 pace... Push past that 52... Try and run sub 50.... you can HOLD that pace for 6 miles.   You have that experience in your mind, and in your legs.... MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!  Dig deep!

2011-08-18 6:07 AM
in reply to: #3648209

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2011-08-17 8:41 PM

Fatty-ear plugs from Mac's.

Christina--good luck.  I agree with John on keeping it easy pretty much the whole way.  Walk the water stops and then get going immediately.

Dan--I use RPE for Oly's.  I try to make it feel as hard as an actual 10K stand alone run.   Pace may be off due to the S/B, but effort isn't.

Dineen--have fun on that ride, but don't cook yourself.  Your working on becoming Kim-like on the run!

My news, I found out last night that I was first in my AG at the Dairyland Dare 150K by a decent margin and the 3rd female OA.  I sure hope that translates into a better bike split in a few weeks!

2011-08-18 6:40 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

towing. toeing. po-tay-to. po-tah-to.  plssst.  Let's call it racing, or at least attempting to finish a HIM.

I will certainly listen to the more experienced.  Glacial pace out of T2 and easy the whole way it is.  I just hope they don't run out of beer before I get there. 

Thanks for the reminder, Kim.  I viewed more utube videos of the transition area and it does appear to be grassy. Might need to put a little sticky on my running shoes to remind me to follow through.   

Suzy- Congrats on the AG win! You are going to smoke the bike leg in a few weeks

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298