Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 190

2013-05-17 6:39 AM
in reply to: #4746501

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN

bzgl40 - 2013-05-17 8:37 AM hum, I thought they would have the BT site upgraded by now.  They must still be in process. 

or they realized they would be nuts to release it in the state it is in....  from what I saw in the test site, it's going to be a wild ride unless they fixed a pile of stuff in the last 24 hours.

2013-05-17 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Anybody racing this weekend?
2013-05-17 12:55 PM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Payson, AZ
hum, we are back. I have no idea how to reply without replying to someone elses comment. Oh well
2013-05-17 1:22 PM
in reply to: riorio

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by riorio

I've been torn this week as to whether to sign up for a Triathlon or not. I had planned on racing the Oly in a couple of weeks....we are going up north that weekend to camp and I am signed up for a relay on the Sunday with my husband and his friend (I'm the swimmer- they were desperate!)...there's an Oly on Saturday, but my run has really sucked lately. I'm also just making it to the pool twice a week...it's totally my own fault, I am just enjoying my bike so much these days.

As an example, today I got up and got the TT bike out, ended up running into some friends and riding with them. I haven't done any Tri specific workouts lately.... I have been on the TT bike twice in the past month, and that includes the Sprint Tri. All my rides have been group rides (I'm lucky that I have various groups to ride with 7 days a week here). I could totally do the Oly just to finish but it's $150 and the idea of just hanging out with my friends and spectating appeals more. 

My knees don't feel great these days and I have some significant strength imbalances. My plan had been to work on these issues over the summer and rebuild my run. Now I am rethinking things and planning to just do cycling races this Fall. I just don't enjoy swimming over 2000yds. Anyways...just thinking out loud here and debating if I should just step away from triathlon for a while. I truly don't miss racing at all and get way more enjoyment out of just riding my bike.

I'll pile on, a bit late. It's all about maximizing endorphins (for me and, really, for most humans - even if I'm only marginally in that group most days).

I mostly ran all winter, because I was really enjoying running. The break from s/b/r (I still rode and swam, but nothing structured like my run program, which was targeting races of different distances over 6 or 7 months until just recently) made getting back to the tri thing way more exciting. I just rode my new-to-me tri-bike for the first time last night and am now super excited about it.

So, sounds like biking is for you at the moment what running was for me last fall. Follow the passion and the fire will continue to burn. Follow what seems like a reasonable path, and you might end up stepping away for a loooong time.

That said, a race is a race, and they're all fun! (OK, I admit that I like pinning a number on... a LOT, even when I'm not ready for it! So, disregard that last bit).

Matt
2013-05-17 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by rymac

Anybody racing this weekend?

Road race only. Just this morning, my wife signed the whole family up for a local 5k. Played havoc with my training skedj, but I'm moving stuff around, as I can't resist a family event and I just love local races.

So, my legs will be trashed before it starts, and I'll have to hop on the bike for 2 hours and then run again off the bike AFTER the race, but I'm psyched for it!!

Taper? We don't need no stinkin' taper!!

Matt
2013-05-17 1:54 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Pro
NJ
Just finished Stage 7 of TR 8DC. Kim, you and Nicole are going to really enjoy it. Really. I'm off to mop the floor now.

2013-05-17 1:56 PM

User image

Got in a good run this morning. When I woke up, I really did not want to run, but I had already skipped two runs this week so I just dragged my butt ot there. Wasn't that bad and actually felt pretty good at the end.

2013-05-17 2:20 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by kcarroll

Just finished Stage 7 of TR 8DC. Kim, you and Nicole are going to really enjoy it. Really. I'm off to mop the floor now.

Moving my trainer set-up from the 90F garage to the 78F house....pretty sure I would melt if I tried to do it out there! Off to "enjoy" my torture now
2013-05-17 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by bzgl40

hum, we are back. I have no idea how to reply without replying to someone elses comment. Oh well

Me either.

In other news: it's rest day! Woooooo!!! Renting a car for the day and exploring
2013-05-17 5:51 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Moving my trainer set-up from the 90F garage to the 78F house....pretty sure I would melt if I tried to do it out there! Off to "enjoy" my torture now

And an update....finished Stage 7 and nearly drowned in a pool of my own sweat! That ride was tough!
2013-05-17 6:05 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I'm in Winnipeg for a week. My plans to do all of my runs on the pathway along the river have been foiled by flooding. I guess I should have brought my wetsuit! Looks like I will be doing lots of runs on the roads with stoplights etc. ugh.

2013-05-17 6:26 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by axteraa

I'm in Winnipeg for a week. My plans to do all of my runs on the pathway along the river have been foiled by flooding. I guess I should have brought my wetsuit! Looks like I will be doing lots of runs on the roads with stoplights etc. ugh.

Laps around the same block?
2013-05-17 6:43 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

And an update....finished Stage 7 and nearly drowned in a pool of my own sweat! That ride was tough!

Looks like I am in for a soggy morning. Maybe I will move the trainer outside
2013-05-17 6:51 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1
Originally posted by axteraa I'm in Winnipeg for a week. My plans to do all of my runs on the pathway along the river have been foiled by flooding. I guess I should have brought my wetsuit! Looks like I will be doing lots of runs on the roads with stoplights etc. ugh.
Laps around the same block?

It may come to that.  How many block laps can one do in an hour and 45 mins (sunday's planned run)?

2013-05-17 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I'm not racing this weekend but I'm about to smash myself...my friends are planning to do a double century tomorrow...one of them 250 miles and I am joining in for some if the fun...we'll do some miles, then the usual Saturday group ride sufferfest...followed by some more miles and lunch break...then I will let them go do their thing and meet up for the finale.

Luckily the temps dropped a bit, we have been in triple digits all week...tomorrow's high will only be 95! :-)

2013-05-17 7:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by riorio

I'm not racing this weekend but I'm about to smash myself...my friends are planning to do a double century tomorrow...one of them 250 miles and I am joining in for some if the fun...we'll do some miles, then the usual Saturday group ride sufferfest...followed by some more miles and lunch break...then I will let them go do their thing and meet up for the finale.

Luckily the temps dropped a bit, we have been in triple digits all week...tomorrow's high will only be 95! :-)

That sounds so much more fun than doing an Oly. < not pink

2013-05-17 8:10 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Sally, I think you helped me decide my ride for tomorrow. This weekend is my last real training weekend before Honu, and I was supposed to do something like 65-70 miles on the TT bike. But deep down inside, I didn't really want to do it. My bike fitness feels awesome now, but I'm just sick of riding my TT bike for that long, and I already have my power goals for Honu in order so tomorrow's ride isn't going to change that.

So I decided that I'd just take the road bike out and go out for some crazy ride with a crap load of climbing. All that Giro and ToC on TV has got me jonsing for an epic road bike ride. I'm ready to unleash my inner Jens Voigt.
2013-05-18 5:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am swimming in "Canadian Masters Swimming Championships"....wow, sounds so impressive. I will try to not be the guy they have to resuscitate. While my swim has improved marginally lately, it still sucks. I am doing the 400m free.

Then I am doing a Gran Fondo Sunday. Wow, sounds so exotic. It's in the Gatineau Park which has 0 flat. Up or down. I have never done one of these.

Between the two I am drinking beer with a buddy coming up for the Gran Fondo.

Had a nice easy run along the Ottawa river yesterday and got attacked by a Canadian Goose protecting her little ones. I was running towards them so she decided to charge me. It ended without incident and I did get a family picture. Baby geese are really cute. Their mother's....well...not so cute..

Monday is holiday so I may do a long TT bike ride.

I am really struggling getting workouts into the new site. I am trying to be positive about it but struggling
2013-05-18 6:09 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
NJ
Originally posted by marcag

I am swimming in "Canadian Masters Swimming Championships"....wow, sounds so impressive. I will try to not be the guy they have to resuscitate. While my swim has improved marginally lately, it still sucks. I am doing the 400m free.

Then I am doing a Gran Fondo Sunday. Wow, sounds so exotic. It's in the Gatineau Park which has 0 flat. Up or down. I have never done one of these.

Between the two I am drinking beer with a buddy coming up for the Gran Fondo.

Had a nice easy run along the Ottawa river yesterday and got attacked by a Canadian Goose protecting her little ones. I was running towards them so she decided to charge me. It ended without incident and I did get a family picture. Baby geese are really cute. Their mother's....well...not so cute..

Monday is holiday so I may do a long TT bike ride.

I am really struggling getting workouts into the new site. I am trying to be positive about it but struggling

Marc, good luck on the 400 free! I tried a couple times to upload yesterday from Garmin Connect and got nowhere. After 3 attempts I decided to let it go and give them a few days. And yep, baby geese are cute. They grow up fast to become mean though. When we curse Canandians around here, it's the geese we're talking aboot.
2013-05-18 6:19 AM

User image

Pro
NJ
I'm heading out for a 10 mile run this morning. Tomorrow will be 50'ish in hills on the bike.

Question, I just got my Conti GP 4000's and am planning to put them on for tomorrow's ride. I will probably still need to do a few trainer rides during the next 3 weeks. Can I get away with being lazy and not change out the rear tire for what will amount to 8 to 10 hours on the trainer until my HIM? My bad weather/trainer tires are Spec Armadillos and they're a bugger to get on/off. The roads here are pretty horrid. I've been riding on them since last fall but need to put the 4000's on for a bit of a break-in .
2013-05-18 7:03 AM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Like! :-)

Let me know how it goes

2013-05-18 7:44 AM

User image

Payson, AZ

I'm heading out for a 10 mile run this morning. Tomorrow will be 50'ish in hills on the bike.

Question, I just got my Conti GP 4000's and am planning to put them on for tomorrow's ride. I will probably still need to do a few trainer rides during the next 3 weeks. Can I get away with being lazy and not change out the rear tire for what will amount to 8 to 10 hours on the trainer until my HIM? My bad weather/trainer tires are Spec Armadillos and they're a bugger to get on/off. The roads here are pretty horrid. I've been riding on them since last fall but need to put the 4000's on for a bit of a break-in .

I've ridden in my GP's on the trainer but as a general rule I wouldn't. I'd maybe do 10 hours total over the life of the tires. They are fairly soft. If you really want to be lazy just go get another wheel and keep it for the trainer.

Good luck with the run.
2013-05-18 7:45 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag I am swimming in "Canadian Masters Swimming Championships"....wow, sounds so impressive. I will try to not be the guy they have to resuscitate. While my swim has improved marginally lately, it still sucks. I am doing the 400m free. Then I am doing a Gran Fondo Sunday. Wow, sounds so exotic. It's in the Gatineau Park which has 0 flat. Up or down. I have never done one of these. Between the two I am drinking beer with a buddy coming up for the Gran Fondo. Had a nice easy run along the Ottawa river yesterday and got attacked by a Canadian Goose protecting her little ones. I was running towards them so she decided to charge me. It ended without incident and I did get a family picture. Baby geese are really cute. Their mother's....well...not so cute.. Monday is holiday so I may do a long TT bike ride. I am really struggling getting workouts into the new site. I am trying to be positive about it but struggling

Fun!  Good luck in the 400, is that the only event you are swimming?

We are having a Gran Fondo on PEI this summer.  It looks like an awesome route but I will be away that weekend for a race so I can't participate.

The one and only animal that has attacked me while training was a goose in France while running on a path.  Scared the #%^ out of me.  They can be downright nasty.

2013-05-18 7:46 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
I've done a double century before Sally, and oddly it is not much harder then a century. Course I did it with 4 friends, and 1000's of other people so pace lines where the name of the game. lol (Seattle to Portland)
2013-05-18 7:48 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by bzgl40
Originally posted by kcarroll I'm heading out for a 10 mile run this morning. Tomorrow will be 50'ish in hills on the bike. Question, I just got my Conti GP 4000's and am planning to put them on for tomorrow's ride. I will probably still need to do a few trainer rides during the next 3 weeks. Can I get away with being lazy and not change out the rear tire for what will amount to 8 to 10 hours on the trainer until my HIM? My bad weather/trainer tires are Spec Armadillos and they're a bugger to get on/off. The roads here are pretty horrid. I've been riding on them since last fall but need to put the 4000's on for a bit of a break-in .
I've ridden in my GP's on the trainer but as a general rule I wouldn't. I'd maybe do 10 hours total over the life of the tires. They are fairly soft. If you really want to be lazy just go get another wheel and keep it for the trainer. Good luck with the run.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to do that much on the trainer - it would probably chew them up.  I look at it as practice changing tires and tubes quickly.  I usually just throw an old tire on for trainer use - something I wouldn't dare ride on.  Then switch between that and the 4000s and it's probably not as bad as the Armadillos.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190