of 190

2013-05-18 12:00 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
Semi-related question.

If you run tubies, do any of you run them as your day to day wheels? Or, do you run clinchers day to day and tubies just for racing?

If the former, do you switch tires for the races, or just use the same right through?

I now have a set of 808's and a sub-9 and am trying to figure out how to work the tire thing (or if I should just set them up as race only wheels - which to me seems like a waste, as I like to use what I buy as much as possible).

Thoughts?

Thanks
Matt

2013-05-18 12:27 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Champion
Ahhhhh! Crowie is on the list for Honu! So stoked!
2013-05-18 1:42 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Payson, AZ
Did stage 7 today. I had both the back garage door open and the main garage door open so that helped a lot with the air flowing through. I did have a bit of a panic though when the wind closed the door closed during the first climb. Soon as it was done I paused everything and went and opened it again and put something in front of it.
2013-05-18 4:00 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
I'm back from part one...did 90 miles with them, including the fast Saturday group ride....then we stopped for lunch at a Mexican restaurant...and they are going on. I will try and catch my friend later to finish up with him, but after that lunch, I think I need a nap! :-
2013-05-18 8:01 PM
in reply to: riorio

Master
Northern IL
Arcadia Brute ride today. Near 95 miles, 7,370 ft, 11 notable climbs. I've hardly gone half that over the winter, but did ok. Really needed to get out for that one, so much fun.
2013-05-18 8:09 PM

User image

Originally posted by mndymond

Jordan Rapp is confirmed, and rumor has it that world champ Pete Jacobs will also be racing. Bevan Docherty may also be in the mix as well. May not be a super deep field, but the pointy end is top notch.

2013-05-18 8:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Your ride put mine to shame. 71 miles with 4500 feet of climbing. 4 major climbs -1 mile at 5.4%, 1.1 miles at 8.6%, 1.1 miles at 10.7%, and 1.9 miles at 7.3%.

I was a little cocky thinking I could manage with compact up front and 11-26 in the rear but I forgot how relentless the last 3 climbs are. 34/26 was fine for the steep parts in the 10-14% range while standing, but I needed the 28t to sit down and recover after the steep sections. I was grinding away at about 55 rpms for some pretty long stretches.

Edited by tri808 2013-05-18 8:20 PM
2013-05-18 8:48 PM
in reply to: tri808

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by tri808 Your ride put mine to shame. 71 miles with 4500 feet of climbing. 4 major climbs -1 mile at 5.4%, 1.1 miles at 8.6%, 1.1 miles at 10.7%, and 1.9 miles at 7.3%. I was a little cocky thinking I could manage with compact up front and 11-26 in the rear but I forgot how relentless the last 3 climbs are. 34/26 was fine for the steep parts in the 10-14% range while standing, but I needed the 28t to sit down and recover after the steep sections. I was grinding away at about 55 rpms for some pretty long stretches.

Still not exactly an easy ride there! I'd need at least 40 more miles on local stuff to to even come close. Today was a bit of a drive up into Wisconsin. I think Chris would still call both of ours flat with his standards!

I'm definitely not where I was last year, but this was still very encouraging as it went much better than I thought. Held power very well until ~4:30 into the ride where the conditioning finally caught up to me (and likely combined with it finally getting a bit warm out, my nemesis). Most of the hills are rather steep at times, but not *that* bad with gearing. I have a bottom of 42/28 for this and did ok on many of them. The last one was just fatigue. The 4th one was something. Strava has a 0.6 mile partial segment within a longer segment that took over 5 minutes at 358 for a whopping 6.5 mph ave. I swear at some point I very briefly dropped to 4.7 mph while putting out at least 380, and I was moving right by people the whole way up! Since some of them might (seriously) only be going 3 mph, at what point does one get off and walk?

2013-05-18 10:11 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by tri808

Jordan Rapp is confirmed, and rumor has it that world champ Pete Jacobs will also be racing. Bevan Docherty may also be in the mix as well. May not be a super deep field, but the pointy end is top notch.

Ya, I have been stalking the list for Crowie for the past few months (cause I do that) and he's a new addition. Rapp, Jacobs, Luke Bell are on there too. The women's list isn't quite as large right now but Corbin and Bree Wee are on it.
2013-05-18 10:37 PM

User image

Champion
Hot today on the big island. I had a 2hr run and 2 hr ride on tap. Repeated tomorrow as 2hr ride and 2hr run. Ended up with some heat/sun rash on my legs, chest and back that's not a sunburn but something else. It's resolving with cold and cortisone. I've got 5 more hard days in 8 before I get to rest for Honu. Not going in on a longer taper due to the timin of Honu to France.
2013-05-18 11:03 PM

User image

Hot today on the big island. I had a 2hr run and 2 hr ride on tap. Repeated tomorrow as 2hr ride and 2hr run. Ended up with some heat/sun rash on my legs, chest and back that's not a sunburn but something else. It's resolving with cold and cortisone. I've got 5 more hard days in 8 before I get to rest for Honu. Not going in on a longer taper due to the timin of Honu to France.

Wow...those sound like tough workouts on back to back days. Other than my Tuesday group ride and Thursday interval ride, all the hard stuff is done for me. Just trying to keep the run frequency up with reduced volume and getting more sleep.

2013-05-19 1:35 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by tri808

Wow...those sound like tough workouts on back to back days. Other than my Tuesday group ride and Thursday interval ride, all the hard stuff is done for me. Just trying to keep the run frequency up with reduced volume and getting more sleep.

Ya. Day 1 was tough. I expect day 2 is to be tougher. Just an easy swim on Monday I def came home today, ate and went to bed for a nap. It's a good thing I basically have nothing else to do except train, eat and sleep. Zzzzzzzz time
2013-05-19 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Sounds like everyone is having a fun weekend filled with lots of training!

My friends did their double century yesterday, it was fun. I finished up the last 35 miles with my friend who ended up with 253 miles at a 20.1mph average!!! Crazy....it was 90 degrees and windy yesterday afternoon, but he was still going strong at the end. I was actually afraid he would want to do 300 miles!

Today I got up and hit the trails behind my house for an ez 6 miler. My hubby was out there Mtn Biking

2013-05-19 1:10 PM
in reply to: riorio

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by riorio

Sounds like everyone is having a fun weekend filled with lots of training!

My friends did their double century yesterday, it was fun. I finished up the last 35 miles with my friend who ended up with 253 miles at a 20.1mph average!!! Crazy....it was 90 degrees and windy yesterday afternoon, but he was still going strong at the end. I was actually afraid he would want to do 300 miles!

Today I got up and hit the trails behind my house for an ez 6 miler. My hubby was out there Mtn Biking

Whoa - that is crazy Sally, but sounds awesome! When I get done with this little IM focus I have been on for the past three years I am thinking about turning my attention to more long-distance cycling. I would like to do Paris-Brest-Paris, and the next running is in 2015.That means I would have to get all of my qualifying rides done in 2014, and I am not quite sure I can get in that kind of shape in time. I guess there is always 2019!

I am on the road a lot right now and between no longer getting email updates from the group and the new BT site not being even less "smart device friendly" than the last one, I am having a little trouble keeping up.... I hope the new site gets better....
2013-05-19 2:19 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Payson, AZ
I went for a real live bike ride today instead of finishing the 8 days of california. Tina wanted to ride and no way I wasn't doing that and honestly I have zero desire to get on the trainer today. I am wiped out. We went all the way from one end of Payson to the other...for a whopping 10 miles. lol
2013-05-19 5:19 PM

User image

Champion
I think the heat destroyed me a bit yesterday...I was super hot all night and couldnt sleep. Got up early to start with my 2hr ride and then turned around for the run...ended up as an hour instead of two. Fatigue and heat really got to me and I just didn't have another hour in the tank. Was in self loathing phase for a few hours but my legs are still pretty tight so I think I made the right decision. Might go get a massage. Spending the rest of the day lounging and napping.

2013-05-19 8:13 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Hey Melissa - from reading your earlier post it it sounds like you got a nice little case of "Prickly Heat" (I am sure it has a real medical name, but you know us southerners). Very common around these parts when it gets hot and especially humid, which is like all the time during the summer. I am sure if you google it you will find all kinds of info on it, but around here everyone just has a can of "Prickly Heat Powder" that we use....I know it can take it out of you, especially on subsequent days and if you do not get on top of it - even when the rash goes away it can keep you from sweating in the affected areas which just causes it to escalate. If that is indeed what it is you really don't want to be using anything that will block you sweat glands (lotions, etc, which turns out to be a lot of sunblocks, even). Don't ignore it or take take it lightly, you have a big race coming up!
2013-05-19 11:54 PM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Originally posted by rymac

Anybody racing this weekend?

I did. Kansas 5150 this morning. Swim delayed and then eventually cancelled because of lightning, although if they had delayed another 30-45 minutes, that part would have been fine. However, the chop would have been a bear-- there were white caps. This morning was my first attempt at the Olympic distance. I would have liked to swim . . .

Anyway -- ended up as a TT bike start in "random order." Okay. Is that an oxymoron? (random TT??)

My bike performance was what I should have expected, but I was hoping for better. My run lived up to my expectations, so I'm happy about that.

Re: bike -- I used every single gear on the ride this morning. Is that normal or preferable, or is it evidence that my bike fitness is in the toilet? Need a different cassette? The course is hilly for Kansas, but not hilly compared to what most of you ride. I passed only very few people going up hill, but I ended up sailing past people on the descents. (Thank you for the previous discussion on climbing/descending)
2013-05-20 1:44 AM

User image

Champion
Hey Rusty, I think you are probably right. I've come across it a few times before and what I have doesnt look exactly like it everywhere. It's a bit more macular on my legs but I did have those little dots on my chest and back. Turned the AC on in the condo today. I'm determined to sleep well tonight!
2013-05-20 4:27 AM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by KansasMom

Originally posted by rymac

Anybody racing this weekend?

I did. Kansas 5150 this morning. Swim delayed and then eventually cancelled because of lightning, although if they had delayed another 30-45 minutes, that part would have been fine. However, the chop would have been a bear-- there were white caps. This morning was my first attempt at the Olympic distance. I would have liked to swim . . .

Anyway -- ended up as a TT bike start in "random order." Okay. Is that an oxymoron? (random TT??)

My bike performance was what I should have expected, but I was hoping for better. My run lived up to my expectations, so I'm happy about that.

Re: bike -- I used every single gear on the ride this morning. Is that normal or preferable, or is it evidence that my bike fitness is in the toilet? Need a different cassette? The course is hilly for Kansas, but not hilly compared to what most of you ride. I passed only very few people going up hill, but I ended up sailing past people on the descents. (Thank you for the previous discussion on climbing/descending)

Sounds like you and I are in the same camp when it comes to climbing hills, Felicia! Do you have any idea what your average cadence vs. your cadence on the biggest climbs was? Did you feel like you were really mashing your gears when you were climbing or was it manageable? If figure if you have the gears then use them, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting into your smallest combination on occasion unless you are still really struggling. Just read your blog - congrats on quickly dealing with the mechanical and getting back out on the road - very nice work indeed!

2013-05-20 6:10 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by TankBoy 

Sounds like you and I are in the same camp when it comes to climbing hills, Felicia! Do you have any idea what your average cadence vs. your cadence on the biggest climbs was? Did you feel like you were really mashing your gears when you were climbing or was it manageable? If figure if you have the gears then use them, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting into your smallest combination on occasion unless you are still really struggling. Just read your blog - congrats on quickly dealing with the mechanical and getting back out on the road - very nice work indeed!

I agree with Rusty, the gears are there to be used!  Too bad about the swim but lightning and whitecaps is a bit on the sketchy side.  

2013-05-20 6:33 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Ditto on using the gears. Otherwise you'd have a single speed. I tend to use a lot of my gears, depending on where I am riding and my goals.
2013-05-20 11:48 AM

Master
Northern IL
I'm all over on the gears. Use 'em if you got 'em!
2013-05-20 12:32 PM

User image

Back from vacay Bummer! But gotta earn money for the next one. Unfortunately, the margaritas and cervezas played havoc on the waistline. I have some refocusing to do, but am now entering the 3 month build up to IM Canada. A little fat and relatively un-injured, so I am happy. Weight will be gone well before IM C.
2013-05-20 1:02 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
x5 or 6 on the gears, for sure. Otherwise it can turn into a mash-fest and blow your quads out...

Prickly heat (heat rash up here in the less creative north) can, indeed, be a bear. Will it be under any part of your racing kit on race day?

We raced this weekend as a family. Kim and I did a local 5k (PR'd at 19:35 by watch, 19:41 official, 8OA/3AG and Kim was 2AG - very happy to do that on tired legs), and the three kids did the mile (2 PR's, oldest got 3AG and middle got within a few seconds of her PR). Then hung around with friends in the sun... Good times!

After that, hit the hills on my new tri-bike with a short run off the bike. Interesting climbing on the P2 vs. the Venge, for sure, but it sure was easier to run off it afterward!

Good luck all ramping up for the race. Wish I were there to cheer you on!

Matt
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190