of 20

2010-06-29 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2950311

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED

Dee - I am still so jealous of your weather!  Glad you had a good run the other day.

Janet - Yeah, I totally see that leaving a car overnight isn't ideal for most   I wish I could leave my stuff overnight at the gym, that would be great as an alternative.  Figuring out the commute is very personal.  I am riding to and from work tomorrow, so I brought my work clothes.  I'll ride to the gym and just throw on a t-shirt and shorts after showering, then ride the short distance from the gym and then finishing dressing.  What a rigamarole!  

I think either distance sounds good.  If you do the 5k, try to run for a mile as a warmup.  That will help you achieve your goals (both speed and distance).  Then you can do a cool down run.   Or, you could do the 10k.   Do a mile warmup, run the 10k but try to negative split.  At the halfway mark, get that fast 5k going and beat your PR!

I have a girlfriend who refuses to warmup for 10ks, yet laments her times.  She can always run a 10k better in an Olympic tri than a standalone and "can't figure out why" - by like 3 minutes.  I keep telling her it's because she's warmed up, but she never listens

2010-06-30 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2950373

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hey everyone.   My mentor lesson for the day:   Don't write a simple question on the forum and expect a simple answer! 

I am considering starting a half marathon for the purpose of my 80 min run on Sunday and was curious if anyone thought dropping out at some point would be a bad idea (like, would the race organization mind).   Then for three whole pages people debating my training, the attitude of my coach, etc, etc.   It was seriously annoying.  I read and reread my initial question and still don't see how they got off on that tangent! 

Lesson learned.  Just needed to vent to a few BTers who might be able to relate.

Hope everyone's having a good week!

2010-06-30 5:03 PM
in reply to: #2769762

User image

Elite
washington state
Oh wow, Emily.  Well, try not to let it get to you.  What did you decide to do in the end?
2010-06-30 5:07 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
I am being a slug this week.  I plan a workout and then decide that I need to do this chore first and then I run out of time.  Or I just feel so tired before I ever start that I take a nap or read instead.

Maybe it has to do with my diet.  I am losing weight and really watching the calories.  I just don't have much get up and go for anything. 
2010-06-30 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2954350

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I still haven't decided about the race.   I am going to wait and see if I remember to pick up the packet or not

I bet the calorie reduction is at least partly the cause.   Unless it's only a very little reduction, it's hard to do both training and calorie reduction successfully at the same time.     But, I think what really matter is what is your goal?  Could you do half the workouts, stay in shape, and still lose weight?  Or some kind of balance that meets your goals?   I also think when you start skipping workouts it becomes easier.  I operate better remembering Newton's law that an object that is in motion will stay in motion if it's not interrupted.   Poorly paraphrased, but you get the idea

I think it always seems to be that I don't want to do the workout and I am tired.   Then I start it and - lo and behold - it's okay.

deehtz - 2010-06-30 5:07 PM I am being a slug this week.  I plan a workout and then decide that I need to do this chore first and then I run out of time.  Or I just feel so tired before I ever start that I take a nap or read instead.

Maybe it has to do with my diet.  I am losing weight and really watching the calories.  I just don't have much get up and go for anything. 

2010-06-30 8:10 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
Hmmm.  I will have to give some thought to how to balance the calories and the workouts.  And you are so right about the more I skip the easier it is to skip.  I will have to come up with something to avoid skipping altogether.

2010-06-30 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Saw Dr on shoulders...  back to PT...  Will keep you informed.

Have a 5K on Sat. as my log shows, no training, so it may be a walk 5K, but it is something.

Next tri is Aug 1, so I need to do something, but traveling tons in next 2 months.
2010-07-01 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Emily - good luck with your run this weekend, whether you do part of the race or not.

Dee - been there myself.  In fact, last night I was supposed to do a bike ride but didn't go because "I don't feel like getting all sweaty tonight."  Stupid excuse, I know, lol, but sometimes that's all it takes to keep me from going. 

Steve - good luck with your 5k this weekend!

I decided to go with the 5k myself on Sunday.  I want to see how well I can do if I push things a little bit.  My DD may be going also.  Some of her XC teammates are thinking about doing the race also, so she may go along.  Won't be running with me though - I'm too slow for them, lol!  Have to just meet them at the finishSmile.

Have a great and safe weekend!
2010-07-01 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2955352

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Good luck with the 5ks, Steve and Janet!  Maybe you could run a 5k in solidarity, Dee

Have a wonderful holiday weekend, whatever it holds.  I'm at work tomorrow but have next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off.  Should be fun!

2010-07-03 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Did well in my 5K...  13:01 min/miles...  I walked 2.5 minutes then ran 5 min then walk 2.5 run at least 2.5 min repeat this section.
2010-07-03 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2959672

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Good job Steve!  Intervals really make the time go by faster and to stick to a plan.

I just got back from a 47 mile bike ride and my bike computer said the temp was 95!  Time for a cold bath

2010-07-03 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2959738

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
BikerGrrrl - 2010-07-03 1:24 PM

Good job Steve!  Intervals really make the time go by faster and to stick to a plan.

I just got back from a 47 mile bike ride and my bike computer said the temp was 95!  Time for a cold bath

It was overcast this morning so it was nice...  Spent day sleeping and trying to get right leg to play nice, tight and cramping.
2010-07-03 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2955391

User image

Elite
washington state
BikerGrrrl - 2010-07-01 6:49 AM

Good luck with the 5ks, Steve and Janet!  Maybe you could run a 5k in solidarity, Dee

Have a wonderful holiday weekend, whatever it holds.  I'm at work tomorrow but have next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off.  Should be fun!

Steve - Way to go on your 5K.  Hope the leg will stretch out and calm down for you.

Emily - 47 mile at 95*   Yikes,  either the distance  or  the temp alone would be intimidating to me.  You are hard-core, girl !!   Also good luck with your run tomorrow.

Janet -  I hope our race went well today and that you set a new PR!

As for me, I took Emily's suggestion and I ran a 5k in solidarity with you all.  It was just my own little private run, but I was actually very pleased with my pace considering how little I have been working out.  So thanks for the encouragement! 

Have a super weekend, everyone!
2010-07-05 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Happy Monday all!  Well the race yesterday didn't go as plannedFrown.  I've been feeling a cold coming on for the last couple of days and it hit me full force yesterday.  I still did my race but no PR - I'll have to try again next time. 

Emily - I did a 16.74 mile ride on Saturday morning and thought I was doing good.  I can't even imagine going 47 miles!  Great job especially in the heat. 

Steve - congrats on your 5k!

Dee - congrats on your 5k too!

Probably won't see too much of me this week.  We leave for the Smoky Mountains tomorrow morning - be back on Saturday.  I"m sure my DS will have his laptop, but don't know if I'll be checking in.  This is supposed to be a week without computers/phones (except cell phones of course)/stress/etc., so I may just "rough it"Smile.  I still plan to get in some runs and possibly some swimming depending on how I feel.  I hope everyone has a great week!
2010-07-05 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2961654

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Sounds like a nice trip - have and fun and relaxing time!

2010-07-06 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2961654

User image

Elite
washington state
soccermom15 - 2010-07-05 9:23 AM Happy Monday all!  Well the race yesterday didn't go as plannedFrown.  I've been feeling a cold coming on for the last couple of days and it hit me full force yesterday.  I still did my race but no PR - I'll have to try again next time. 

Emily - I did a 16.74 mile ride on Saturday morning and thought I was doing good.  I can't even imagine going 47 miles!  Great job especially in the heat. 

Steve - congrats on your 5k!

Dee - congrats on your 5k too!

Probably won't see too much of me this week.  We leave for the Smoky Mountains tomorrow morning - be back on Saturday.  I"m sure my DS will have his laptop, but don't know if I'll be checking in.  This is supposed to be a week without computers/phones (except cell phones of course)/stress/etc., so I may just "rough it"Smile.  I still plan to get in some runs and possibly some swimming depending on how I feel.  I hope everyone has a great week!

Sorry that you are not feeling well.  Good for you for doing the race anyway.  Have a great time on your trip!

2010-07-08 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
PT is very painful this time...  Shoulders do not like the exercises....

Daughter got home from her 3 weeks of camp / mission trip, so we exercised this morning.  She says I run like Mario with a Jet pack on my back...  She says it is "cute"  we did 2 minute walk, 2 minute jog repeats for 2 miles.
2010-07-08 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2968496

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Steve - I wish I had a jet pack on when I ran   Turn on the turbo!

2010-07-08 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2968721

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
BikerGrrrl - 2010-07-08 2:04 PM

Steve - I wish I had a jet pack on when I ran   Turn on the turbo!

You forget I only have 3 speeds...  Slow ...  Dead Slow...  And Stopped..  So my jet pack does not work too well.
2010-07-12 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Hey guys, I'm backLaughing!!!  Actually we got back around dinner time on Saturday.  Had a good trip even with my cold.  I packed 2 bags to go - one with regular clothes, one with workout clothes.  Guess which one was bigger, lol!   Unfortunately with the way I was feeling (and being in the mountains seemed to make it a little worse), I didn't get any running in and only a little bit of recreational swimming.  We did a lot of walking though, so it's not like I was totally lazy all week. 

Sunday morning I volunteered at the New Town tri.  I helped with packet pickup and then worked the finish line.  It's a nice race - totally flat bike and run courses.  The overall winner averaged over 27 mph on the bike course!  The second place guy almost caught him on the run though.  I'd like to do this race myself but I need to get a lot better on OWS before I do.  It's in a manmade lake, which is nice but since it's 1000m (and wetsuits were not allowed this year), my swimming skills need a lot of improvement if I'm going to feel comfortable with that.  Maybe next year.

After my duties were finished, I decided to go for a run.  First one in over a week so it felt good but since I still have some lingering congestion in my head and upper chest, I ended up only doing 2 miles.  I had wanted to do the full 4 miles of the run course.  I'm hoping to ease back into training this week - I even imported a new plan into my logs - just something to keep my going until I decide what's going to be next on my schedule. 
2010-07-12 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2974997

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hey Janet.  Glad you had a nice trip!  I too often bring my running stuff and never use it on trips   

I volunteered at a race this weekend too - the Lifetime Fitness Triathlon.  It's a mega race and the day was looooong.   It's also a flat bike course and there were a few bad accidents   One of the elite local girls apparently ran into a kid who jumped out onto the course.    Not good.  I think the kid went to the hospital and she ended up with a broken wrist.  Even though the rumors say she was off her bike for about 10 minutes, she still finished with a bike split over 20 mph and a 7:something average for the 10k run.  Amazing what adrenaline can do.

I have been running around a lot, which isn't good prep for a race!   The triathlon volunteer was 5 hours on my feet and today I went to a park with my sister and nieces, including a long and difficult trail walk.  I am going to try to lay low for the rest of the week    I am leaving on Friday morning for my big race.  You'll have to check out my training log on Sunday - I hope to be able to post some details when I finish the event.

2010-07-13 8:58 AM

i'm back.  finally and for real this time!   i got the clearance to resume normal activity from my doctor.  that'll mean easing back into things i'm sure.  after 2 months of not running i'm sure i'll have to build back up.

what do yall think about me doing a triathlon in late Sept?  here's the link http://calendar.slowtwitch.com/individual.php?uid=3127 

i really want to, but i'm afraid of jumping back into things too quickly.
2010-07-13 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2977340

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Yay!  Yeah, the running will probably be the most difficult to get started on again.  Give yourself some time and it will come back.  I think that race looks perfect!  MORE than doable with about 8 weeks to get back on track.

smartstrongsexy - 2010-07-13 8:58 AM i'm back.  finally and for real this time!   i got the clearance to resume normal activity from my doctor.  that'll mean easing back into things i'm sure.  after 2 months of not running i'm sure i'll have to build back up.

what do yall think about me doing a triathlon in late Sept?  here's the link http://calendar.slowtwitch.com/individual.php?uid=3127 

2010-07-13 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2977467

User image

Expert
Missouri
BikerGrrrl - 2010-07-13 9:49 AM

Yay!  Yeah, the running will probably be the most difficult to get started on again.  Give yourself some time and it will come back.  I think that race looks perfect!  MORE than doable with about 8 weeks to get back on track.

smartstrongsexy - 2010-07-13 8:58 AM i'm back.  finally and for real this time!   i got the clearance to resume normal activity from my doctor.  that'll mean easing back into things i'm sure.  after 2 months of not running i'm sure i'll have to build back up.

I agree with Emily - I think that race is very doable for you.  Just take things easy for a while and you'll be more than ready. 
2010-07-13 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2975774

User image

Expert
Missouri
BikerGrrrl - 2010-07-12 2:40 PM I have been running around a lot, which isn't good prep for a race!   The triathlon volunteer was 5 hours on my feet and today I went to a park with my sister and nieces, including a long and difficult trail walk.  I am going to try to lay low for the rest of the week    I am leaving on Friday morning for my big race.  You'll have to check out my training log on Sunday - I hope to be able to post some details when I finish the event.

Good luck with your race this weekend!!  I'm sure you'll do great - you've definitely put in the training for it.  Can't wait to hear how it went.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20