in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by marcag

If I am not mistaken the finish line is in Blackcomb village ?

If so, there is a ton to do there. Shops, restaurants.....

It's really really nice !

Yes, in the Village.

I would hide her credit card. If you are out there too long it could get expensive :-)

LOL, she's not like that, but I suppose I couldn't complain on that one day if she was

They've started posting tentative schedules, bike drop off options, shuttle details, etc. and I am starting to freak out.... just a little... yeah, what the hell did I get myself into????????

Whistler is super nice and tons to do. The Whistler village expanded quite a bit with the Olympics.

I'm debating trying to volunteer for medical for either IMC or Challenge Penticton. I'll have to wait till I'm registered with the BC college though first.

2013-05-24 2:36 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Champion
I'll add that when my Mom came with me to IMLP the VIP package probably would have been a good thing to get her because she was alone rather than spectating with a group of people. I think that could probably be a bit "meh" and roaming around visiting places and seeing the sights could be fun but when there are thousands of other people also roaming the same sights it could be a bit much. I think I would want the VIP if I was alone. Can make friends with the other VIPers and have access to easy food without having to fight the masses.

For France my mom, dad and aunt will be there and we got a condo right on the Promenade des anglais....with a roof top pool...so I think they will figure it out. Lol.
2013-05-24 7:29 PM

User image

Melissa - Is the wind really blowing from the South right now in Kona. I was checking the weather report there and it says it will be Southerly winds all next week. We're having the normal ENE tradewinds on Oahu and supposed to keep them all next week.

Normally all the islands experience the same directional winds...but if it is blowing from the South next Saturday, it could be a really fast day on the bike. Might be a bit humid on the run though.
2013-05-24 8:19 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Danielson Ct
Hi everyone. Glad to see the training is paying off and some of you have been able to put it to use. I finally got cleared by the Doc to start doing some training. Nothing much but just to start doing something to get the arm built back up. Still under his care, another week of PT and another month out of work. Plus the fun stuff of being hit by a car.

So now that I'm ten lbs heavier and basically lost most of my fitness, where does one start? My first road ride was a little rough especially since it is so close to my house I rode over where I was hit and past where I was laying. I'd like to think I'm beyond that but, probably not. I've just been doing slow easy short spins to get the arm used to the bike again. Still needs work since I can't extend it out all the way. Haven't swam since the accident so that should be a real treat. I was bad before then this happened.

I did get out yesterday for a 6 mile run. That felt a little better than I thought. Tomorrow I'll kick it up to 8 miles and just do the best I can. My first half iron I was hoping to do this year is off the books. The two sprints I would like to do since they support local hospitals in August are a maybe. Doc said to use them as a goal and if I can't do them not to worry about it. One of the many things I did learn from all of this is even though I have a Road ID, The officer still wanted a real drivers license and my auto insurance card. Luckily my wife was two minutes away so she ran back to the house to get them. So now I have them copied and will be on me at all times. That's Ct so I don't know about other states. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get back into this again, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Enjoy the long weekend and win some races.
2013-05-24 8:39 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Champion
Originally posted by tri808

Melissa - Is the wind really blowing from the South right now in Kona. I was checking the weather report there and it says it will be Southerly winds all next week. We're having the normal ENE tradewinds on Oahu and supposed to keep them all next week.

Normally all the islands experience the same directional winds...but if it is blowing from the South next Saturday, it could be a really fast day on the bike. Might be a bit humid on the run though.

Ya. The winds seem to be coming from the southwest. Pretty nice heading north out of Kona but not so much turning around and heading back in. I've only gone as north as Waikoloa but yesterday the winds were strong from southwest.
2013-05-24 9:51 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
heading to the valley tomorrow to bring Tina to the airport.  So that means Mountain Biking at McDowell park. woot.  Normally the goal would be to not run into cactus but I think tomorrow will be to not melt since it will be later in the day before I get there

2013-05-24 9:54 PM

User image

Originally posted by mndymond

Originally posted by tri808

Ya. The winds seem to be coming from the southwest. Pretty nice heading north out of Kona but not so much turning around and heading back in. I've only gone as north as Waikoloa but yesterday the winds were strong from southwest.

Yeah...I can deal with the normal headwind/tailwind situation. The real problem with the normal ENE tradewinds is at Hawi. Because Mauna Kea is so big, the wind has no choice but to go around the mountain. Thus the wind amplifies as it rips around Hawi. With the wind coming from the Southwest, there isn't an area for the wind to funnel and amplify. So you're just left with "normal" wind.
2013-05-24 10:38 PM
in reply to: heykev

User image

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by heykev Hi everyone. Glad to see the training is paying off and some of you have been able to put it to use. I finally got cleared by the Doc to start doing some training. Nothing much but just to start doing something to get the arm built back up. Still under his care, another week of PT and another month out of work. Plus the fun stuff of being hit by a car. So now that I'm ten lbs heavier and basically lost most of my fitness, where does one start? My first road ride was a little rough especially since it is so close to my house I rode over where I was hit and past where I was laying. I'd like to think I'm beyond that but, probably not. I've just been doing slow easy short spins to get the arm used to the bike again. Still needs work since I can't extend it out all the way. Haven't swam since the accident so that should be a real treat. I was bad before then this happened. I did get out yesterday for a 6 mile run. That felt a little better than I thought. Tomorrow I'll kick it up to 8 miles and just do the best I can. My first half iron I was hoping to do this year is off the books. The two sprints I would like to do since they support local hospitals in August are a maybe. Doc said to use them as a goal and if I can't do them not to worry about it. One of the many things I did learn from all of this is even though I have a Road ID, The officer still wanted a real drivers license and my auto insurance card. Luckily my wife was two minutes away so she ran back to the house to get them. So now I have them copied and will be on me at all times. That's Ct so I don't know about other states. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get back into this again, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Enjoy the long weekend and win some races.

How long where you off?  2 months?

2013-05-25 6:05 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Danielson Ct
It would be three months next Thursday at 5:40 A.M
2013-05-25 6:19 AM

User image

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by heykev It would be three months next Thursday at 5:40 A.M

I don't think it'll take you too long to come back.  I'd probably just do a gradual build and listen to my body but I bet you feel fairly good after 2 weeks. 

2013-05-25 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by heykev Hi everyone. Glad to see the training is paying off and some of you have been able to put it to use. I finally got cleared by the Doc to start doing some training. Nothing much but just to start doing something to get the arm built back up. Still under his care, another week of PT and another month out of work. Plus the fun stuff of being hit by a car.

So now that I'm ten lbs heavier and basically lost most of my fitness, where does one start? My first road ride was a little rough especially since it is so close to my house I rode over where I was hit and past where I was laying. I'd like to think I'm beyond that but, probably not. I've just been doing slow easy short spins to get the arm used to the bike again. Still needs work since I can't extend it out all the way. Haven't swam since the accident so that should be a real treat. I was bad before then this happened.

I did get out yesterday for a 6 mile run. That felt a little better than I thought. Tomorrow I'll kick it up to 8 miles and just do the best I can. My first half iron I was hoping to do this year is off the books. The two sprints I would like to do since they support local hospitals in August are a maybe. Doc said to use them as a goal and if I can't do them not to worry about it. One of the many things I did learn from all of this is even though I have a Road ID, The officer still wanted a real drivers license and my auto insurance card. Luckily my wife was two minutes away so she ran back to the house to get them. So now I have them copied and will be on me at all times. That's Ct so I don't know about other states. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get back into this again, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Enjoy the long weekend and win some races.

Oh, I vividly remember my first few rides after getting hit.  There were a lot of panicky moments....there were a number of times that I wanted to give up.  I just took it slow at first and eventually got more comfortable.  At this point, I still don't trust other drivers, but I'd rather do what I enjoy than live in fear on the couch.  

Were you able to keep your streak alive, or did riding the trainer for three months suck the joy out of riding?  Either way, for regaining fitness, I'd do what you can without pain and work your way up from there.  I was able to get back swimming and biking fitness relatively easily, but I'm still not running....so do what you can and work toward what's giving you pain (in your case, it sounds like that might be the swim).  

2013-05-25 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I ran another 10K this morning and got a great result...Overall Champ and a new 10K PR of 38:29!  I am pretty dang happy about it.

The 5K and 10K started at the same time and their were probably 10 folks ahead of me by the 5K Turnaround but they all turned so I had the lead police car waiting for me there.  When I reached the 10K turnaround their was a guy 100 yards behind me but he never got any closer.

What an awesome feeling...my first OA win.

I did take Rusty's advice from 2 weeks ago and did a much longer warm-up this time than usual so he can take some credit .

2013-05-25 12:24 PM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by rymac

I ran another 10K this morning and got a great result...Overall Champ and a new 10K PR of 38:29!  I am pretty dang happy about it.

The 5K and 10K started at the same time and their were probably 10 folks ahead of me by the 5K Turnaround but they all turned so I had the lead police car waiting for me there.  When I reached the 10K turnaround their was a guy 100 yards behind me but he never got any closer.

I did take Rusty's advice from 2 weeks ago and did a much longer warm-up this time than usual so he can take some credit .

Awesome!  Congrats on the PR and the win!!

2013-05-25 12:57 PM

User image

Awesome !!
2013-05-25 1:27 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

Awesome job.  That is a smoking fast time

2013-05-25 3:40 PM

User image

Danielson Ct
Thanks for the advice. I'll just go slow and see how it goes. Probably really going to concentrate on my run. On June 30 I'll be participating in a cross country run for the people who were injured at the Boston Marathon. It's called www.onerunforboston.org I signed up to do an 11 mile run from Hampton to Pomfret Ct. on June 30. Then I pass the baton off to the next person. Starts in LA on Jun 7. I didn't realize it until after I signed up but I have the longest leg to run for our state. And it's all hills, one of my cycling loops. Really need to put the effort in climbing to get me through this. Should be great fun and a once in a lifetime experience. The streak is still alive. 1606 straight days on the bike today. Took me just about an hour to get the bike on the trainer with one arm back then but I did it. My wife just looked and shook her head. After all we went through that day, I wasn't asking for her help. Thanks again for the advice.

2013-05-25 5:21 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Congrats on a smoking fast time!
2013-05-25 5:35 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Oh my god. Ride from hell. Or turned into it today. Had 4:00 on the sked, just get back in the saddle after two weekends off. Climbing hills around home, started out with friends for about 1:45, then finished alone and limped home 3:15 total. On the last climb alone could barely hold 175 or so watts, could not come close to 200. Totally bonking. Haven't had a bad ride like that in a while. Ate a whole packet of powergel chews at the top (190 cals ) and upped the Infinit. Felt a little better the last hour coming home, but damn.

my thoughts-

two weekends off.

food down trying to lose vacation weight, most of which is gone

ended my trainer session about 8:30 pm last night due to work/ dinner

started way too hard for the conditions and my fitness. NP for the first hour was 260. Mostly climbing but still, that's too hot. Total NP ended at 229 and there was a lot of climbing hours 2 and 3 so it was a HUGE power drop. Recovering this afternoon

NOT the day t get the email saying "welcome to ironman Canada, are you ready?" Ummmmm .......

2013-05-25 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

One word: WOW!
2013-05-25 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Smoking fast!!  Did you end up switching up your run training or stick with what you had been doing?  Was the big difference the warm-up?  Congrats!!

2013-05-25 8:09 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I did a 20 minute power test this morning.  This is the first time that I'm fairly pleased with how I paced it!  Learning to not go out too hard at the start really makes a huge difference!  

That said, I still think I have a decent amount of room for improvement in the pacing strategy.  I started out a bit lower than my anticipated power target, then worked my way up to my target, and for the final five minutes had planned to go a bit above it....with 2-3 minutes left, I was able to bump up ~30W and really drained my legs.  But I think if my "target" had been a bit higher, I wouldn't have had that much left and would have come out with a higher FTP.

Of course, that just means my trainer rides would hurt even more than they will....and more than they did before, which was pretty painful!  I did make ~5% increase between my last test and this test. 

2013-05-25 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Excellent work! Very fast! :-)

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I plan on spending a lot of time on my bike (shocker!). Had a great 80 plus mile ride today, with the group we average 24mph for 60 miles! It was awesome! At one point it was my turn to pull so I glanced at my computer and saw 33mph, and was like "crap I gotta maintain this?".

Tomorrow will be 50 ish with the hubby and then a long hilly ride with friends on Monday.

Also fitting in some good family stuff: Comicon today (#nerds!), soccer tourney earlier today, movie (Star Trek) and Family BBQ/Pool party at our house!  

2013-05-25 8:33 PM

Master
Northern IL

Great job!

2013-05-25 8:51 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Ride 155k today on the Queen K. Got EXTREMELY cranky at about 2.5hrs in and basically cursed my entire way back to Kona into a headwind. Reloaded and my friend fed me and I went out to finish my ride and was much happier about being on my bike. NOTE: Hungry=Anger on the bike. I just never seemed to be able to catch up despite Gus/Roctane/chews/cookie/banana until I got back and had some real food...

Tiring week for me with that long ride, a 3hr run day on Thurs and death hills on Tues. Last hard day tomorrow with a brick and then I finally get to rest.
2013-05-25 8:52 PM

User image

Champion

Awesome work!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190