BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-30 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2316170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
TrevorC - 2009-07-29 8:06 PM
smoore3 - 2009-07-29 5:52 PM Hi Everyone! 
I'm signed up for my very first half marathon this October, the Nike Women's Half in San Fran.  I am trying to find a training plan to follow and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.  Currently I can run 10k with no problem, but when I try to go further, my legs start to feel strained at about 11-12k.

I found this one on the Runners World website. It is for people's first half marathon so I was wondering what people thought. 

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--9369-1-1X2X3X4X5X6X7-8,00.html

I would love to hear everyones recommendations!

Thanks

Hey Sarah,
we were chatting about this about 2 pages ago. I am signing up for my 1st one (Harvest 1/2 October 5th in calgary). I am going to give the beginner plan a shot.

I think I might try this plan too.  It seems like you can combine it with your tri training fairly well.  Though the long runs on the weekends might be hard.  There isn't really a place for me that in NY there is always events in the park early in the morning in Central Park.

2009-07-30 7:05 AM
in reply to: #2316579

User image

SSMinnow - 2009-07-30 6:34 AM
Havin'Fun - 2009-07-29 8:04 PM
ashort33 - 2009-07-29 8:59 PM

And then there were five - Andy, Doug, Karen, Sarah, and Trevor...  All doing first 1/2 marathons this fall/winter!  And Kim looking for her first full 26.2!  Anyone else doing their first half or full marathon?

I'm doing my first IM this fall...does that count?

NO!  Just kidding!

Someone needs to build a spreadsheet of all these upcoming races and locations. Any volunteers?  If there is an opportunity to do a race together, I would like to try to do it.  I haven't built my 2010 plan yet (except for my A race), but will be doing one or two half marathons in the Winter and Spring.  Given the winters in WIsconsin I would be more than a little interested heading South or West in search of warmer temps and friendly faces.

Suzy

I'm really trying to keep my focus on my Nov race (this year)...but I keep looking at Lonestar next year (April 23 - 25).
If you talk to my husband he thinks we are going to Texas in April    (So I may have already mentioned it to him)   
I know Boston is April 19th.  You could do Boston and then head down to Texas    You may be racing tired, but it would sure be a lot of fun!!!  Seriously, it would really be cool to all meet up at a race.  I'd be happy to put a spreadsheet together...or I could nominate Tony since he did such a great job with the virtual TT spreadsheet        
2009-07-30 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Tony and I are in for Lonestar for sure.  Even if by some miracle I qualify for Boston this go round, I will be at Lonestar.  Drugs do wonders for the body.  LOL

Tentatively, we also have Columbia (MD) May 23, 2010 on the calendar - reg open Sept 8 and sells out within days. 

Also looking at Black Fly(NH) in July.  Another great Keith event.  It is a family friendly race weekend.  Everything is at a resort w/ plenty of rooms for people to stay on site.  Friday night 4m bike TT, Sat. spring and Sun. Olympic. plus babysitting options and kids race.  I think we plan on doing the whole weekend.

Any other ideas out there?

Edited by sdalessio 2009-07-30 7:28 AM
2009-07-30 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
Ok totally off subjest but I am having a GRRRRRRRRR  moment.  So one of my eating pitfalls is work and the amout of crap that comes from company lunches, birthdays, functions, holidays, etc..  This past month has been pretty good and easy to avoid stuff but today was going to be a tough one. 

Breakfast kickoff celebration for a charity event which translates to a room full of Krispy Kreme donuts.  This afternoon - birthday cupcakes for our little internal group of 13.  So I thought ok I can handle this - I will not go to the breakfast thing and avoid temptation since I can't ditch the co-workers this afternoon.  One cupcake won't kill or derail me.

I get to work this AM and there is a voicemail message from my boss and her boss basically ordering me to go to the breakfast celebration to show support for their boss.  BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Luckily I am so peeved about having to go that I think I can avoid the donuts (which I love but know are terrible for you).  I'm going to arm myself w/ a yogurt and leave asap.  Don't you just love office politics.Yell
2009-07-30 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2316712

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 8:37 AM Ok totally off subjest but I am having a GRRRRRRRRR  moment.  So one of my eating pitfalls is work and the amout of crap that comes from company lunches, birthdays, functions, holidays, etc..  This past month has been pretty good and easy to avoid stuff but today was going to be a tough one. 

Breakfast kickoff celebration for a charity event which translates to a room full of Krispy Kreme donuts.  This afternoon - birthday cupcakes for our little internal group of 13.  So I thought ok I can handle this - I will not go to the breakfast thing and avoid temptation since I can't ditch the co-workers this afternoon.  One cupcake won't kill or derail me.

I get to work this AM and there is a voicemail message from my boss and her boss basically ordering me to go to the breakfast celebration to show support for their boss.  BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Luckily I am so peeved about having to go that I think I can avoid the donuts (which I love but know are terrible for you).  I'm going to arm myself w/ a yogurt and leave asap.  Don't you just love office politics.Yell

LOL, what are the kids making today?  Cupcakes....  Be strong!
2009-07-30 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2316639

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2009-07-30 8:04 AM
TrevorC - 2009-07-29 8:06 PM
smoore3 - 2009-07-29 5:52 PM Hi Everyone! 
I'm signed up for my very first half marathon this October, the Nike Women's Half in San Fran.  I am trying to find a training plan to follow and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.  Currently I can run 10k with no problem, but when I try to go further, my legs start to feel strained at about 11-12k.

I found this one on the Runners World website. It is for people's first half marathon so I was wondering what people thought. 

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--9369-1-1X2X3X4X5X6X7-8,00.html

I would love to hear everyones recommendations!

Thanks

Hey Sarah,
we were chatting about this about 2 pages ago. I am signing up for my 1st one (Harvest 1/2 October 5th in calgary). I am going to give the beginner plan a shot.

I think I might try this plan too.  It seems like you can combine it with your tri training fairly well.  Though the long runs on the weekends might be hard.  There isn't really a place for me that in NY there is always events in the park early in the morning in Central Park.

I'm a big fan of the RW plans, haven't seen this one specifically but I like their calculator that spits out schedules with paces for each run.

2009-07-30 7:42 AM
in reply to: #2316718

User image

Expert
dalessit - 2009-07-30 7:40 AM
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 8:37 AM Ok totally off subjest but I am having a GRRRRRRRRR  moment.  So one of my eating pitfalls is work and the amout of crap that comes from company lunches, birthdays, functions, holidays, etc..  This past month has been pretty good and easy to avoid stuff but today was going to be a tough one. 

yes that too but I'm hoping that I can get home late enough tonight to avoid those.  When it rains, it pours!
2009-07-30 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2316726

User image

Champion
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 8:42 AM
dalessit - 2009-07-30 7:40 AM

yes that too but I'm hoping that I can get home late enough tonight to avoid those.  When it rains, it pours!

Since you are here, don't forget to send me an e-mail on when you wanted to start your swim lessons and how often you wanted to do themLaughing
2009-07-30 7:49 AM

User image

You could eat a dozen Krisy Kreme dounts and tell them you are training for the Krispy Kreme challenge they have here in January each year.  You run 2 miles, eat a dozen donuts and then run another 2 miles.  All this needs to be done in under an hour.  The finish line is lined with trash cans....for vomit   

I have never been able to eat Krispy Kreme...I am a Dunkin Donuts girl      But, I use to have a rep that would bring me three dozen KK donuts each year on a specific day....my staff loved it.

Edited by Havin'Fun 2009-07-30 7:50 AM
2009-07-30 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2316740

User image

Expert
Havin'Fun - 2009-07-30 7:49 AM

You could eat a dozen Krisy Kreme dounts and tell them you are training for the Krispy Kreme challenge they have here in January each year.  You run 2 miles, eat a dozen donuts and then run another 2 miles.  All this needs to be done in under an hour.  The finish line is lined with trash cans....for vomit   

I have never been able to eat Krispy Kreme...I am a Dunkin Donuts girl      But, I use to have a rep that would bring me three dozen KK donuts each year on a specific day....my staff loved it.

Laughing  I saw that race on ESPN.com this year.  I think I would vomit after a dozen donuts!
2009-07-30 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2316750

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

sdalessio - 2009-07-30 7:54 AM
Havin'Fun - 2009-07-30 7:49 AM

Laughing  I saw that race on ESPN.com this year.  I think I would vomit after a dozen donuts!

I think John, Reuben, and Trevor will back me up when I say a dozen KK donuts is just an appetizer   Us big guys do have some talents

Edited by ashort33 2009-07-30 8:04 AM

2009-07-30 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2316766

User image

Champion
Ok, I created a spreadsheet on our google login where people can enter their races left this year and planned races next year.

Go to www.google.com

username: swbkrunmg
password: COMMANDO!

across the top you will see an option for more, click that, then under there will be an option for documents.

You will see a spreadsheet where I entered the races I plan at this time on doing this and next year.

If you edit a line it automatically saves it so not like a regular spreadsheet that doesn't save until you click a button.
2009-07-30 8:23 AM

User image

Thanks Tony, you are awesome!  I was kind of kidding nominating you, but man you deliver. 
2009-07-30 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 7:37 AM Ok totally off subjest but I am having a GRRRRRRRRR  moment.....
Don't you just love office politics.Yell

Don't you just love will power. 

Just go to these meetings and simply say no to all the goods.  When someone asks why you aren't eating any of it, sigh really loud and say I'm trying qualify for Boston this fall and I want a sub 6 Half Ironman in the spring.  That will make you look really cool and make them feel like crap.  Its all in the spirit of one-ups-man-ship so this is ok.

Seriously, one cupcake won't derail you but you can't sit here and GRRRRR about the KK and then talk about eating cupcakes a few hours later.  Just tell yourself you are not going to eat them before you go in there, go in there and don't eat them.  Avoiding these challenges may just make your weaker.  Take it head on and kick its a$$! 

2009-07-30 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2316786

User image

Expert
dalessit - 2009-07-30 8:10 AM Ok, I created a spreadsheet on our google login where people can enter their races left this year and planned races next year.

Go to www.google.com

username: swbkrunmg
password: COMMANDO!

across the top you will see an option for more, click that, then under there will be an option for documents.

You will see a spreadsheet where I entered the races I plan at this time on doing this and next year.

If you edit a line it automatically saves it so not like a regular spreadsheet that doesn't save until you click a button.

I knew my geeky husband would come to the rescue.  Wink
2009-07-30 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2316824

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-30 9:23 AM
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 7:37 AM Ok totally off subjest but I am having a GRRRRRRRRR  moment.....

Just go to these meetings and simply say no to all the goods.  When someone asks why you aren't eating any of it, sigh really loud and say I'm trying qualify for Boston this fall and I want a sub 6 Half Ironman in the spring.  That will make you look really cool and make them feel like crap.  Its all in the spirit of one-ups-man-ship so this is ok.

Seriously, one cupcake won't derail you but you can't sit here and GRRRRR about the KK and then talk about eating cupcakes a few hours later.  Just tell yourself you are not going to eat them before you go in there, go in there and don't eat them.  Avoiding these challenges may just make your weaker.  Take it head on and kick its a$$! 

AWESOME!  I love that.

2009-07-30 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2316824

User image

Expert
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-30 8:23 AM

Obviously you have never seen me around sweets.  Wink 

Just curious - how would you say no to a room full of beer?  hummm!!!!!!!!
2009-07-30 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2316766

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-07-30 8:03 AM

I think John, Reuben, and Trevor will back me up when I say a dozen KK donuts is just an appetizer   Us big guys do have some talents

Roger that!  But I'm with Linda (there's a surprise) on the Dunkin Doughnuts.  Light and sweet...best coffee ever.
2009-07-30 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2316831

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 8:26 AM
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-30 8:23 AM

Obviously you have never seen me around sweets.  Wink 

Just curious - how would you say no to a room full of beer?  hummm!!!!!!!!

Thats not fair!  

If you want it bad enough you just do it.  It sounds really simple but that's how I look at it.  And it works
2009-07-30 8:39 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I added my races for 09 to the spreadsheet. I have not decided on '10 races at all yet.
2009-07-30 8:50 AM

User image

Taking the kids to the Museum of Life and Science today (a favorite spot of ours).  However, we are stopping at Dunkin Donuts on the way    Funny we were just talking about donuts. 

Sam, I am taking a banana so I don't order the biggest donut they have     

2009-07-30 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2316281

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-29 9:21 PM Tracy and I have January marathons! 

OK I just realized the "first" part.  So it will be her first stand alone marathon and my second. Still OK right.

Linda I'm still laughing at your, "does that count"

Technically I have 2 marathons.  The Beach 2 Battleship relay with the hubby in November and then Disney in January.  For someone who doesn't like running I seem to be doing a lot of it.  What the hell?
2009-07-30 9:03 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 7:37 AM Ok totally off subjest but I am having a GRRRRRRRRR  moment.  So one of my eating pitfalls is work and the amout of crap that comes from company lunches, birthdays, functions, holidays, etc..  This past month has been pretty good and easy to avoid stuff but today was going to be a tough one. 

Sam--I hear you.  Once I eat something horrible in the morning, the rest of the day is full of the eating crap.  Be strong!!!  The cupcake won't kill you and with the exception of maybe the frosting isn't a diet derailer, really.

Tony--thanks for putting together the spreadsheet.  Once the HIM is behind me and I can see what everyone else is doing I can make some decisions.

Linda--no Boston for me this year.  With IM WI as my A race, I am going to defer to '11 and focus on building better bike and swim endurance over the winter versus 20m+ runs on the TM.  Much more appealing.

I'm celebrating! I had my first ever 500 mile bike month in July! 
2009-07-30 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Dunkin Donuts all the way. When ever I am running really late for work I stop off and buy a dozen or so for the office.  My thinking is no one will notice - or remember - if I am late if I give them donuts! 

LADIES!!!!!  A little piece of advise I learned the hard way this morning.  Don't have your eyebrows waxed and then go swimming!  There was at least 12 hours of separation between these events but man, trapping pool water against freshly waxed brows with goggles down right stings!!!   However, the whole time I was worried that the chlorine was going to turn my freshly colored hair orange. So then I would have had fire red eyebrows and orange hair - not a good look!  Luckiy I am still a nicely glowing auburn Kiss  And on a related subject, I've been told a way to preserve your hair color is to fully wet your hair and then spray a leave in conditioner on it before you put your swim cap on.  This way your hair is already saturated and won't absorb the chlorine. 

See how hard it is to stay lovely guys?  You should really appreciate all the time and effort we women put into things. 

2009-07-30 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2316903

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
tahrens - 2009-07-30 8:53 AM
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-29 9:21 PM Tracy and I have January marathons! 

OK I just realized the "first" part.  So it will be her first stand alone marathon and my second. Still OK right.

Linda I'm still laughing at your, "does that count"

Technically I have 2 marathons.  The Beach 2 Battleship relay with the hubby in November and then Disney in January.  For someone who doesn't like running I seem to be doing a lot of it.  What the hell?

Too funny.  I'm just the opposite.  For someone who really loves running, why the hell am I biking so much? and running so little?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383