General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2009-08-13 9:56 AM
in reply to: #1833357

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

I very much understand what you are saying.  I have a couple more high volume weeks but it has been a mental challenge for a while now.  I am not use to such a long training season.  But I am sooo excited!!  And I can't wait.    This few weeks will be a mental mind game... but what else would IM be without it!

2009-08-13 10:30 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

I am totally up for a Guiness after the race. There is a pub right on the course across from the courthouse that I plan on hitting after I get a massage and shower. Then it's over to the finish line to cheer in the 15-17 hr finishers!! I am psyched!!

As for training ......... well. It's going to be what it's going to be. I was hoping to get a century in on Saturday but just found out I am going to have to cut that short unless I can avg 25 mph! Heading on vacation next week to the beach so hope to get some great training in there. Then a couple more build weeks and 3 or 4 days of taper before the race.

I am planning on the Friday and Sat morning Gatorade swims (8am?) then a little 20 mi ride on Friday and jog on Saturday. This is going to be a BT fest!!!

2009-08-13 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2346215

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

rstocks3 - 2009-08-13 10:30 AM

I am totally up for a Guiness after the race. There is a pub right on the course across from the courthouse that I plan on hitting after I get a massage and shower. Then it's over to the finish line to cheer in the 15-17 hr finishers!! I am psyched!!

As for training ......... well. It's going to be what it's going to be. I was hoping to get a century in on Saturday but just found out I am going to have to cut that short unless I can avg 25 mph! Heading on vacation next week to the beach so hope to get some great training in there. Then a couple more build weeks and 3 or 4 days of taper before the race.

I am planning on the Friday and Sat morning Gatorade swims (8am?) then a little 20 mi ride on Friday and jog on Saturday. This is going to be a BT fest!!!

Please save a beer for me.  I will more than likely be in that 15 hour mark...

2009-08-13 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN

and those of us in that time frame thank you greatly for coming out to cheer us on through that last 500 yds!!!!!!   First IM, but I'm prepared for the pain! 

2009-08-13 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Yes,  those of us planning on using as many minutes as possible of the race will appreciate the cheering!   It is going to be a very long day   But a great day..... "I Got a Feeling".....

2009-08-13 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2346438

User image

Somewhere between lost and found
ball6135 - 2009-08-13 11:41 AM

and those of us in that time frame thank you greatly for coming out to cheer us on through that last 500 yds!!!!!!   First IM, but I'm prepared for the pain! 

Did I hear someone say Guinness ?? dont forget we need to finish  in time for kick off .So we can watch the pack get Whooped by the bears.  trash talk neeeeever..

2009-08-13 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2346284

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
amyjotris - 2009-08-13 11:49 AM

Please save a beer for me.  I will more than likely be in that 15 hour mark...

Well I won't be a whole lot ahead and that's if I'm having a perfect day, but there will be beer after my race regardless!
2009-08-13 1:36 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Mmmmm..... Beeeeeeer.......

I'm basically dry right now, so that first beer post-race will probably knock me out.  But it's going to taste sooo goood. 

Racing an Oly this weekend ( Pleasant Prairie ).  Then Schmize and I are riding home from the race, because an Oly is just too short of a training day. 

A bit of a recovery week next week, then a big Race Sim day next weekend ( 4km swim, 5 hour bike, 2:10 run ).  That will be the last biggest day for me before the race.

Taper for me is probably going to see bike and swim volume stay about where it is now, with the run tapering off.  Might get one more 20 miler after the race sim day, but may not.  We'll see what the coach gives me.

I'm feeling good and staying healthy, despite throwing down some solid training months in June and July.

Looking forward to the race!

2009-08-13 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2346091

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
crea0029 - 2009-08-13 10:56 AM

I very much understand what you are saying.  I have a couple more high volume weeks but it has been a mental challenge for a while now.  I am not use to such a long training season.  But I am sooo excited!!  And I can't wait.    This few weeks will be a mental mind game... but what else would IM be without it!

My mental setbacks haven't been about doing the training, in some sick way I'm enjoying the bigger volume more than the weeks before. My setbacks are over every missed opportunity and I had one after another - lightning storm cut a long ride in half, 6 flats ended my next long ride, fell while running and had to take a couple rest days to recover and missed a whole weekend, ended up hurting my calf last week trying to make up for the 6 flats day... that sort of thing. Every time it happens I freak out about what it's doing to my race. Is anyone else feeling that way or am I just neurotic?

I guess suddenly I feel like every moment and every thing I do counts and I don't want to screw it up after such a long journey.
2009-08-13 2:02 PM

User image

Elite

We'll definetly have to figure out a meeting place for after the race.  I'm hoping to go catch a shower and come cheer in the final finishers also. (Hoping things go well enough I will have time)  Closer to the date we'll have to figure out a midnight meeting area for those up for it.  Gatorade swims are also a great place to meet up.  I'm with Bob for 8:00 a.m. swim on Friday.

2009-08-13 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2346741

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California
CoreDump

We will reunite at IMW this year!!

2009-08-13 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California
Not sure if anyone has mentioned...but there is a fun Irish Pub close to the finish...went there after racing in '06...was fun!

Have never stayed up till midnight yet at 5 previous IM....I want to try this year!
2009-08-13 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
I'll be down there (gatorade swim) at 8:00 on friday as well...
2009-08-13 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2346747

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

LazyMarathoner - 2009-08-13 1:39 PM
crea0029 - 2009-08-13 10:56 AM

My mental setbacks haven't been about doing the training, in some sick way I'm enjoying the bigger volume more than the weeks before. My setbacks are over every missed opportunity and I had one after another - lightning storm cut a long ride in half, 6 flats ended my next long ride, fell while running and had to take a couple rest days to recover and missed a whole weekend, ended up hurting my calf last week trying to make up for the 6 flats day... that sort of thing. Every time it happens I freak out about what it's doing to my race. Is anyone else feeling that way or am I just neurotic?

I guess suddenly I feel like every moment and every thing I do counts and I don't want to screw it up after such a long journey.

Everything does count, but it doesn't mean you should try to cram in more.

What you describe is pretty common from what I've seen.  I have to remind myself to not fall into that trap too. 

In reality, at this point in the training, the hay is in the barn ( Moooooo! ).  Hit your key/big workouts, but don't alter your plan to try to "make up" missed workouts.  You can't make them up, and you risk doing more harm than good.  You're probably not going to make yourself any faster by cramming, and if you injure yourself, you could end up going a lot slower! 

So... relax.  Breathe.  Stick with your plan.  Hit your last key workouts.  And make sure you make it to the start line on the 13th healthy and ready to enjoy the day.

2009-08-13 7:22 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Excellent advice Chris and I could not agree more! Another thing that I have experienced is that if it looks like you're going to miss a workout don't be afraid to shorten it to get something in. If your plan has a 90 min ride with a power set and you have a crazy day, "cut the ingredients" in 1/2 and get a 45 min workout in. You WILL still see the benefit of the power set. Adding a missed 90 min workout to the next day's training is a recipe for disaster.

All this talk about recipe's and ingredients must mean that it's time for a snack!

2009-08-13 8:18 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Yep, that coredump is a smart guy.  Must rub off from his training partners

So, I am pretty much on the same plan as him as far as workouts go.  Should be a good final weeks.  Am really looking forward to this race.

As far as meeting, I will probably be at the gatorade swim in the morning again.  Nice BT meeting last year.  And just like last year, will be meeting you guys for a beer (or two) at a local pub (I think there are a few in the area   The one we were at last time was really close...but can't recall the name.  Then we headed over to the finish line about 11:30pm.  And for those that have never experienced that, I will say it was just as cool, or even more cool than finishing myself.   Holly and I plan on being there again!

Stay Healthy!

2009-08-13 8:54 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
As you all may or may not be aware, I broke my Godforsaken pinkie toe last Saturday night, while walking to the bathroom in the dark, in the middle of the night. So much for staying properly hydrated.

I'm not able to run right now... I missed my long run last weekend... this was a recovery week, and I've tossed aside all of my runs this week as well. I'm supplementing my training with a couple of extra bike rides and some aquajogging. I need to be strong enough on the bike to be able to WALK the whole marathon, if need be. I'll keep trying to run to see if I can do it pain free... but so far, notsomuch.

So... my plan is to see how I feel on race day. Then handle myself accordingly. If I absolutely cannot run, I will push the swim and the bike and walk the marathon. If the toe cooperates, I'll pace myself on the bike for a marathon run.

At least I'll get my money's worth. (!!) I will eat $500 worth of Coke, Chicken broth, cookies and Gatorade. Watch me. Surprised
2009-08-13 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2346811

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
mndiver - 2009-08-13 3:02 PM

We'll definetly have to figure out a meeting place for after the race.  I'm hoping to go catch a shower and come cheer in the final finishers also. (Hoping things go well enough I will have time)  Closer to the date we'll have to figure out a midnight meeting area for those up for it.  Gatorade swims are also a great place to meet up.  I'm with Bob for 8:00 a.m. swim on Friday.

I'd love to meet up for the swims! I'm getting to town super early too so I'm hoping to catch up with some of the Madison crew before all the excitement begins.
2009-08-13 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2347554

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
schmize - 2009-08-13 9:18 PM Yep, that coredump is a smart guy.  Must rub off from his training partners

So, I am pretty much on the same plan as him as far as workouts go.  Should be a good final weeks.  Am really looking forward to this race.

As far as meeting, I will probably be at the gatorade swim in the morning again.  Nice BT meeting last year.  And just like last year, will be meeting you guys for a beer (or two) at a local pub (I think there are a few in the area   The one we were at last time was really close...but can't recall the name.  Then we headed over to the finish line about 11:30pm.  And for those that have never experienced that, I will say it was just as cool, or even more cool than finishing myself.   Holly and I plan on being there again!

Stay Healthy!

We were at the Great Dane, which is a bit more fun than the Irish place. But a bunch of us (Whizzzzz, core, mr2tony, lisac957 and I) had dinner at the Irish place last year while jockstrapping. They are all close by!
2009-08-13 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2347486

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
rstocks3 - 2009-08-13 8:22 PM

Excellent advice Chris and I could not agree more! Another thing that I have experienced is that if it looks like you're going to miss a workout don't be afraid to shorten it to get something in. If your plan has a 90 min ride with a power set and you have a crazy day, "cut the ingredients" in 1/2 and get a 45 min workout in. You WILL still see the benefit of the power set. Adding a missed 90 min workout to the next day's training is a recipe for disaster.

All this talk about recipe's and ingredients must mean that it's time for a snack!

Great advice, both Chris and Bob. My coach has urged me not to "make up" so I've tried to move on as planned after setbacks. I guess I stressed because they were things beyond my control - weather, mechanical. Drives me crazy. I'm just thankful that's all I have to deal with and I can move on and keep going. I worked late, missed a swim tonight so I decided to do a shorter, easier bike in place of it so the idea of shortening and adjusting works well. It was better than nothing!
2009-08-13 10:10 PM
in reply to: #2347620

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Whizzzzz - 2009-08-13 9:54 PM As you all may or may not be aware, I broke my Godforsaken pinkie toe last Saturday night, while walking to the bathroom in the dark, in the middle of the night. So much for staying properly hydrated.

I'm not able to run right now... I missed my long run last weekend... this was a recovery week, and I've tossed aside all of my runs this week as well. I'm supplementing my training with a couple of extra bike rides and some aquajogging. I need to be strong enough on the bike to be able to WALK the whole marathon, if need be. I'll keep trying to run to see if I can do it pain free... but so far, notsomuch.

So... my plan is to see how I feel on race day. Then handle myself accordingly. If I absolutely cannot run, I will push the swim and the bike and walk the marathon. If the toe cooperates, I'll pace myself on the bike for a marathon run.

At least I'll get my money's worth. (!!) I will eat $500 worth of Coke, Chicken broth, cookies and Gatorade. Watch me. Surprised

OUCH!!! What were you thinking? There's plenty of time for your toe to heal and if you can still bike your run fitness will still be there. You have the right attitude for the race, you WILL have a blast and I can't wait to see you out there!!

2009-08-14 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
Huntersville
I'm getting so excited for race day! This is my first IM, and I think it would be great to get a chance to meet some BTers before the race. I saw that some of you are doing the 8am Friday gatorade swim. Are you guys planning on meeting up any other time in Madison before the race?
2009-08-14 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
What's a Gatorade swim?  Just a sponsored event?   
2009-08-14 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2348351

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

velcromom - 2009-08-14 10:44 AM What's a Gatorade swim?  Just a sponsored event?   

Yep. Gatorade sponsors a swim on Thur, Fri and Sat mornings usually at 7:00 - 10:00 am. During those times there will be people watching over your belongings. It is also where you can get the cool green Gatorade Endurance bottles which is the only reason that I do Ironman races. I will plan on being at the Fri and Sat swims at 8:00 but will most likely get a loop in and play in the water closer to 7:00 too. (Weather permitting) In 2007 there was white caps on the lake for the Friday and Sat swims. It was awesome!!

2009-08-14 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2347620

User image

Extreme Veteran
Whizzzzz - 2009-08-13 8:54 PM As you all may or may not be aware, I broke my Godforsaken pinkie toe last Saturday night, while walking to the bathroom in the dark, in the middle of the night. So much for staying properly hydrated.

Whizzzzz, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in the injury pool. I have a stress reaction/fracture in my femur that I've been training through this last month with more swimming and riding and a therapy treadmill at the PT's office. I'll be muddling though the run and have agreed to play it by ear to see what the day gives me! At the very least, we can walk/run/shuffle the marathon together!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 52