BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 65

2011-04-26 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3466034

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED

jimmyb - 2011-04-26 8:03 AM I know everyone has their own IM training plans, but I'm curious how many century rides people do in preparation for the event?  Is it necessary to do a century ride, or is overall volume more important.  Given my work schedule it is extremely difficult to get in a straight century, and have had to break it up at times eg. morning and pm. 

I try to get 1 or 2 rides at/near the full distance.  Physically, there's probably no reason that it's necessary--as mentioned, you can do the same work riding harder for a shorter distance.  But sitting on the bike for 112 miles while maintaining an easy, steady pace and eating/drinking consistently can still be a challenge even when you are well-trained. 

I would certainly say that overall volume is more important.  If you can't do a really long ride in training, then get the most you can out of the riding you are able to do and be prepared for a different kind of challenge on race day.

I would also say this could probably be extended to HIM prep, as well.  But you would really need to be riding a lot of your shorter rides pretty hard.  HIM biking effort tends to be quite a bit harder than IM.  In fact, for me, much of my longer riding is done at/near HIM effort.  It would be difficult for me to cut back much on ride durations and get 'equivalent' work done.  I do a lot of rides at/over HIM race distance during much of my training.

2011-04-26 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3435035

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
BTW, great swimming discussion yesterday.  I may try to use some of that info as I try to get my swiming back to a reasonable level.
2011-04-26 10:49 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I was just offered a slot into the 2011 IMWI race through a charity. All I have to do is raise 2500 to race. Promised myself, my g/f and my family I wouldn't race this year and now I am getting that urge again. Very tempted by this offer any suggestions?
2011-04-26 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Ben, you can always use the excuse "but it's for charity guys".
2011-04-26 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3466345

User image

Elite
Ontario
JohnnyKay - 2011-04-26 10:29 AM

I would also say this could probably be extended to HIM prep, as well.  But you would really need to be riding a lot of your shorter rides pretty hard.  HIM biking effort tends to be quite a bit harder than IM.  In fact, for me, much of my longer riding is done at/near HIM effort.  It would be difficult for me to cut back much on ride durations and get 'equivalent' work done.  I do a lot of rides at/over HIM race distance during much of my training.

How about running for HIM training?  Where do you keep the distance/intensity level.  I'm following some of Fred's advice to back off the intensity in the longer run and focus more on Z1/2, but am curious what distances people are doing on a weekly basis for the long run.

2011-04-26 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3466542

User image

chasingkona - 2011-04-26 5:49 AM I was just offered a slot into the 2011 IMWI race through a charity. All I have to do is raise 2500 to race. Promised myself, my g/f and my family I wouldn't race this year and now I am getting that urge again. Very tempted by this offer any suggestions?

I suppose it depends on what the premise of the promise was.  Was your g/f and family urging you not to race this year, thus you made the promise...or did you simply make the promise on your own...and breaking that promise is not really going to let them down?

I can't imagine training and racing an IM without the support of those closest to me.

2011-04-26 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3466645

User image

GoFaster - 2011-04-26 6:35 AM

How about running for HIM training?  Where do you keep the distance/intensity level.  I'm following some of Fred's advice to back off the intensity in the longer run and focus more on Z1/2, but am curious what distances people are doing on a weekly basis for the long run.

I'm doing about 30-35 mpw consistantly...with a couple high weeks close to 40.  Keep in mind though that I was marathon training up till December...so it's not like I've increased my running up to 30-35...I've actually decreased it to that amount.  I know it's on the high side, but running is my weakness.  Last year I was biking 4x a week during tri training...but I've cut that back to 3x (but with more intensity) because the bike is by far my strength.

2011-04-26 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3466645

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
GoFaster - 2011-04-26 12:35 PM
JohnnyKay - 2011-04-26 10:29 AM

I run as much as I am able and don't change too much at all.  My 'ideal' week would have me running 30-40 miles, long run 12-15mi.  Most of that is at an easy/steady pace.  I will do some tempo running down to about 10k pace, but probably not every week (just depends how I am feeling or what I have coming up).  During some of my long runs, I will do some marathon-paced running--esentially goal pace for the HIM run. 

As long as you can fit more mileage into your week, you are probably better off doing that.  Once you have filled up your budgeted time and can easily handle your full running load with all your other workouts, then you can add some intensity.  A tempo run of some sort is usually your best added bang for your training buck.

2011-04-26 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3466542

User image

Bronze member

chasingkona - 2011-04-26 10:49 AM I was just offered a slot into the 2011 IMWI race through a charity. All I have to do is raise 2500 to race. Promised myself, my g/f and my family I wouldn't race this year and now I am getting that urge again. Very tempted by this offer any suggestions?

Why did you make that promise to everyone (yourself included)? Are people going to be upset, feel neglected, not support you? I'm not trying to pry, you don't have to even answer. Just trying to understand.

2011-04-26 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3466866

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
tri808 - 2011-04-26 11:05 AM

chasingkona - 2011-04-26 5:49 AM I was just offered a slot into the 2011 IMWI race through a charity. All I have to do is raise 2500 to race. Promised myself, my g/f and my family I wouldn't race this year and now I am getting that urge again. Very tempted by this offer any suggestions?

I suppose it depends on what the premise of the promise was.  Was your g/f and family urging you not to race this year, thus you made the promise...or did you simply make the promise on your own...and breaking that promise is not really going to let them down?

I can't imagine training and racing an IM without the support of those closest to me.

Yeah, Jason is totally right - you need the support of loved ones. If you don't have their buy-in then it will be a major source of tension when you have to plan around your training schedule, and they will hold it over your head when given the chance. IM training is no joke.

2011-04-26 2:17 PM

User image

Bronze member

Good info on training rides. I think I'm going to go a head and plan on riding the whole course for my next ride and see how it goes. The race course is only a 15-20 min drive from my house so it seems silly not to practice on it. 

Tried the swim workout Fred suggested (from our discussion a couple of weeks ago) this morning. I started with 400, 4 x 100 though due to time. Yikes, I had a terrible time. Legs were not cooperating at all. Too tired from yesterdays workout. Now of course I want a redo LOL! My swims will probably suffer for a while though as my bike/run volume increases.

2011-04-26 3:38 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

So I'm racing St. Anthony's 5150 on Sunday and while I completed dozens of races I'm nervous as can be about this one (and its still 5 days before th race).  This is the first race I'm going to do in where I've trained consitently for a year, really built up my limiters and feel like I have a legitimate shot at a 2:20 and top -5 AG placement.  I fell like I'm putting a ton of pressure on myself and am super scared I'm going to do something stupid.

Any thought on how to relax? 

2011-04-26 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3467353

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-26 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3466034

2011-04-26 4:48 PM

Expert
For me I remind myself that my first goal is to have fun.
2011-04-26 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3467495

Elite
Ontario
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-26 5:47 PM

jimmyb - 2011-04-26 8:03 AM I know everyone has their own IM training plans, but I'm curious how many century rides people do in preparation for the event?  Is it necessary to do a century ride, or is overall volume more important.  Given my work schedule it is extremely difficult to get in a straight century, and have had to break it up at times eg. morning and pm. 

Lots of good and different answers so far.

This year I will a grand total of 1 century ride in training. It will be on raceday ay IMWI. I do not need to do long rides as I have a fairly good bike base and my coach is dead set against them so definitely a no-go. He actually mentioned to me that it would be better to not work together if I felt that I really wanted to get a century in before training as he felt it would hinder my results on raceday. He has had athletes who did it despite his advice before and it resulted in a termination of the coach/athlete relationship. I am really comfortable with his approach and hired him because of this and other reasons.

This is only for me. Again I have a different base than the average IMer and have had bike splits in the top 1-2% overall at IMs, so this is not advice for everyone.

Fred - if you were doing only HIM this year, would you use a similar approach, or it's strictly how you are approaching IM?  What will be your longest ride?

2011-04-26 5:48 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-26 2:38 PM

So I'm racing St. Anthony's 5150 on Sunday and while I completed dozens of races I'm nervous as can be about this one (and its still 5 days before th race).  This is the first race I'm going to do in where I've trained consitently for a year, really built up my limiters and feel like I have a legitimate shot at a 2:20 and top -5 AG placement.  I fell like I'm putting a ton of pressure on myself and am super scared I'm going to do something stupid.

It's ok to have some anxiety pre-race. It makes you sharp, gives you focus. All that energy will be released when the race starts so don't fight it, anticipate it and remember this little litany against fear and replace fear with anxiety.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

2011-04-26 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3467590

2011-04-26 5:52 PM

2011-04-26 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3467606

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-26 4:52 PM

Hey Bryan, what are your thoughts on long rides for IM or HIM (as in how long a training ride would you deem ideal)?

For a Half I think long rides up to 4 hours are great as they not only build bike aerobic fitness but provide you with an opportunity to actually be constantly aerobic for 4 hours, which is within 25% or better of what most people will finish the race in. IM I think the traditional method of at least doing 5-6 100+ rides in needed. Actually going 112 isn't that big a deal/difference. For those who can handle the volume, even doing one over-ride of 120 miles can be great prep and again puts most people in motion for 6 or more hours.
2011-04-26 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3467626

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

bryancd - 2011-04-26 6:09 PM
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-26 4:52 PM Hey Bryan, what are your thoughts on long rides for IM or HIM (as in how long a training ride would you deem ideal)?
For a Half I think long rides up to 4 hours are great as they not only build bike aerobic fitness but provide you with an opportunity to actually be constantly aerobic for 4 hours, which is within 25% or better of what most people will finish the race in. IM I think the traditional method of at least doing 5-6 100+ rides in needed. Actually going 112 isn't that big a deal/difference. For those who can handle the volume, even doing one over-ride of 120 miles can be great prep and again puts most people in motion for 6 or more hours.

Hey Bryan for these long rides for HIM and IM what type of ride do you do and suggest? This year I am doing a lot of experimenting while training for a couple of HIM's. I plan on doing 3-4 hours for my range of long rides, but I am still figuring out how to ride them. Zone 2? Do a TT in the middle? All in the big ring? Longer intervals of 30-45 mins? What has worked for you in the past?

Also with your long rides are you trying to build a solid bike fitness for a strong run, or are you trying to build speed for a fast bike split?

2011-04-26 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3467087

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
dhopman - 2011-04-26 2:05 PM
tri808 - 2011-04-26 11:05 AM

Yeah, Jason is totally right - you need the support of loved ones. If you don't have their buy-in then it will be a major source of tension when you have to plan around your training schedule, and they will hold it over your head when given the chance. IM training is no joke.

Well I made the promise to myslef to hold back this year and go back next year b/c I see it too often that people get hooked and try for back-to-back years and burn themselves out and often perform worse the second year. I told myself that last year was strictly to learn about IM, and I wanted to go back (2012) with more training behind me and more importantly the knowledge to prepare and train better.

As for my g/f and family it was more or less a promise lightly made since they sacrificed soo much for me last summer, and it was my turn to focus on them and spend more time with them. I fully intend to return next year, but now just have to juggle my sisters wedding a couple weeks before which will be right around taper/high volume week, but with the correct planning I am sure that I can make it work.

That said just writing this makes me know it's best to pass this year. I am not where I want to be for IM and when I go back I fully intend to perform at the level I want to, but I need this summer to build that knowledge and training that can get me to that level. I would also like to enjoy my summer a bit more with the social side.

2011-04-26 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3467801

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
No, these rides, IMO, should be done at your IM aerobic effort, however you define that. Intensity work should be on days when intensity is the focus. Now I know some others might not agree with that and look to add intensity to long bike (which I do on the run) like JK, I believe he mixes harder efforts on long rides but doesn't ride as long if memory serves. Maybe he could chime in with his protocol to provide some perspective.
2011-04-26 9:54 PM

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-26 3:38 PM

Have you ever worked on visualization?  It helps to focus that nervous energy that is piling up on you.  What is it that is worrying you the most?  (...super scared I'm going to do something stupid...)  Play out how you are going to execute (avoid?) that moment your head.  Picture yourself performing in the key moments of the race.  Instead of getting stressed out by being...stressed out...allow yourself to wallow in your anxiety a bit, and really think about your race.  Then, come race day, stop thinking, and DO!  

2011-04-27 1:40 AM

Had a fun group ride this afternoon.  Held back a bit the first half of the ride, but opened it up a bit at the end.  Found a nice stretch to sprint with the goal of putting down 1000 watts for the first time...unfortunately I came up 21 watts short at 979.  Then chased a really strong rider up the last climb and somehow managed to hang onto his wheel.  I know he was trying to drop me, and during the last stretch I was pushing nearly 400 watts for the last minute just to keep up.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 65