Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-07-04 5:33 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: 100d x 10m = 1 strong core

Originally posted by switch Just a friendly little suggestion to everyone to knock out your core chit early in the a.m. tomorrow.  Not that anyone in this group is gonna party or anything, just sayin

Yes mom! Laughing  That brings up a good question.  One of the members at my class last night asked me if I refrain from drinking because I train so much.  For me the answer is that I'm a total lightweight so I don't usually do more than 1-2 glasses of wine at a time.  And only on Saturdays because Sunday is my rest day.  And not for a few weeks or so (or especially the day before) if I have a big race coming up.  Drinking just always leaves me feeling a little off the next day.

How about you guys?  Do you drink and party?  Keep it clean and refrain?  Somewhere in between?  Will you be hitting it hard over this long holiday weekend and regretting it on Monday?

2013-07-04 6:48 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by switch Just a friendly little suggestion to everyone to knock out your core chit early in the a.m. tomorrow.  Not that anyone in this group is gonna party or anything, just sayin

Yes mom! Laughing  That brings up a good question.  One of the members at my class last night asked me if I refrain from drinking because I train so much.  For me the answer is that I'm a total lightweight so I don't usually do more than 1-2 glasses of wine at a time.  And only on Saturdays because Sunday is my rest day.  And not for a few weeks or so (or especially the day before) if I have a big race coming up.  Drinking just always leaves me feeling a little off the next day.

How about you guys?  Do you drink and party?  Keep it clean and refrain?  Somewhere in between?  Will you be hitting it hard over this long holiday weekend and regretting it on Monday?

I am a total lightweight, cannot handle much alcohol at all.  A very rare glass of wine for maybe an anniversary dinner or holiday.

2013-07-04 8:17 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Day 11 in the books.

And yes, time for a few brews. And then a few more.
2013-07-04 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Noelle (I've decided that since that is the name you like, then it is the one I am going to use), I just posted this in my mentor group the other day:

OK, this is completely unrelated to anything, but here goes. For many years, TW and I would have a 3rd of July party. Due to the fact that we got the 4th off (bankers hours) and then had to go back to work on the 5th, we decided that the 3rd gave us ample time to recover. So for a few years we did this and it got to be a bit uh, um, raucous. Or racy. Or out of control, I guess, depending on your outlook. More than one friend woke up with a hangover the next morning. Sometimes people lost stuff in the pool. And so on. Then a few years back we stopped having these. It probably coincided with me being a bit more attentive to my health. This year my intention is to awake early to go on a ride with the LBS at 6:45 am. I find it interesting how much life changes over time.

So yes, I do have an occasional beer, but not to extremes.

2013-07-04 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Originally posted by bcraht
Originally posted by 4agoodlife
Originally posted by cdban66
Originally posted by switch

Random thoughts/comments:

• Do we have a before/after gallery yet?
  • I thought tri guys went furry-less, but...well, thank you all for not Innocent 
  • What is our overall guy/girl ratio?
  • C'mon, fellow core ladies. We can't let the guys take this so easily! They need to have the smug grins wiped off their...belly buttons? (Ima dork, but all the pics are headless.)

Good call on the gallery!  How do we set something like that up?

Few things here:

Yes, to the gallery--Chris?  A little help?

I don't know our effing ratio.  I've totally lost track.  And there are some people who just aren't chiming in, but I think they're with us.  Hello...?

I prefer non hairy myself, but Mr. Switch was all "Eff-that! I'm no effing triathlete." OK, baby, OK.

Haha!  DH wants to try smooth, but I said "Eff that...You shave, then I'm not. I happen to like us being VERY different."

GOOD story regarding chest hair.  When I first met my hubby, I must've expressed at some point that I'm not a big fan of body hair.  To impress me, the man went to the salon at our gym and got his chest WAXED.  His first experiment with hair removal and this was his choice of method.  There were little dots of blood where the hair ripped out and it was bright red for days.  Yes, my husband is a pleaser! 

Sounds like a keeper.

I'll put together an Ab Gallery when I get a chance, (s)witch. My wife is really going to start wondering about me, though.

I know you're busy Chris (and your job sounds like hellz right now--sorry :/).  If you don't want to do it, I can probably try to figure it out--I may just hit you up with questions. 

I definitely don't want your wife to wonder

I'm off tomorrow, so I should have time. Thanks for thinking of me. Life is good! Laughing

OK, I had a moment of waiting while at work. Here is the BT album:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Albums/Album/16979

Wow...Fantastic!  Seriously, you're like a genie. We make a wish and POOF! Now we won't ask for more for another 90 days. You, and wife, can rest easy. Laughing

Chris, I am soooooooooooo sorry, but it had to be done!

Kirsten, you are too much, that is a hoot! I may have to use that somewhere...

2013-07-04 11:06 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by bcraht

• I thought tri guys went furry-less, but...well, thank you all for not Innocent 
  • C'mon, fellow core ladies. We can't let the guys take this so easily! They need to have the smug grins wiped off their...belly buttons? (Ima dork, but all the pics are headless.)

Good call on the gallery!  How do we set something like that up?

Few things here:

Yes, to the gallery--Chris?  A little help?

I don't know our effing ratio.  I've totally lost track.  And there are some people who just aren't chiming in, but I think they're with us.  Hello...?

I prefer non hairy myself, but Mr. Switch was all "Eff-that! I'm no effing triathlete." OK, baby, OK.

Haha!  DH wants to try smooth, but I said "Eff that...You shave, then I'm not. I happen to like us being VERY different."

GOOD story regarding chest hair.  When I first met my hubby, I must've expressed at some point that I'm not a big fan of body hair.  To impress me, the man went to the salon at our gym and got his chest WAXED.  His first experiment with hair removal and this was his choice of method.  There were little dots of blood where the hair ripped out and it was bright red for days.  Yes, my husband is a pleaser! 

Sounds like a keeper.

I'll put together an Ab Gallery when I get a chance, (s)witch. My wife is really going to start wondering about me, though.

I know you're busy Chris (and your job sounds like hellz right now--sorry :/).  If you don't want to do it, I can probably try to figure it out--I may just hit you up with questions. 

I definitely don't want your wife to wonder :)

I'm off tomorrow, so I should have time. Thanks for thinking of me. Life is good! Laughing

OK, I had a moment of waiting while at work. Here is the BT album:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Albums/Album/16979

Wow...Fantastic!  Seriously, you're like a genie. We make a wish and POOF! Now we won't ask for more for another 90 days. You, and wife, can rest easy. Laughing

Chris, I am soooooooooooo sorry, but it had to be done!

Kirsten, you are too much, that is a hoot! I may have to use that somewhere...

Kirsten, absolute complete and utter WIN.  Chris, using it as your new avatar?  Priceless!

2013-07-04 11:11 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by switch Just a friendly little suggestion to everyone to knock out your core chit early in the a.m. tomorrow.  Not that anyone in this group is gonna party or anything, just sayin:)

I like to drink.  I'm usually a few beers or whiskeys a day kinda girl.  Some days it's none. Some days it's a few more.  I've been doing that for a while, so I don't really notice any sort of "off" feeling the next day.  I have noticed that I have started to keep track more carefully if I have a big day the next day.  Maybe I'm growing up a bit.

I must have a pretty decent tolerance, as I could not tell you the last time I was lit--edge off, yes.  Drunk? Almost never.

2013-07-04 11:14 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Ha. I go "furry-less", but I started that before I got into tris. I just hate it! Oh well, again, that's another discussion.
Brad, JFTR, I'm totally cool with thread derailing and hijacking.  We can talk "furry-less"--or any other psuedo off-topic thing--any time :)

2013-07-04 11:34 AM

User image

Master

I like to drink.  I'm usually a few beers or whiskeys a day kinda girl.  Some days it's none. Some days it's a few more.  I've been doing that for a while, so I don't really notice any sort of "off" feeling the next day.  I have noticed that I have started to keep track more carefully if I have a big day the next day.  Maybe I'm growing up a bit.

I must have a pretty decent tolerance, as I could not tell you the last time I was lit--edge off, yes.  Drunk? Almost never.

I have definitely slowed down as I've gotten older, but I do like my beer.  I just can't stand how I feel the next day when I overindulge.  I tend to abstain for a couple weeks before a big race. 

2013-07-04 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft Campbell, Kentucky
Done with another day.

Going to start adding in some twisting motion ones to work side muscles now. If anyone has some good ideas, I could use some unique ones. I know all the normal ones. I dont really use a gym much, more body weight stuff.

Everyone keep cranking the days out. Its only 10 minutes a day!
2013-07-04 12:17 PM
in reply to: Laffenguy

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Laffenguy Done with another day. Going to start adding in some twisting motion ones to work side muscles now. If anyone has some good ideas, I could use some unique ones. I know all the normal ones. I dont really use a gym much, more body weight stuff. Everyone keep cranking the days out. Its only 10 minutes a day!

All of these instructors annoy me, but the exercises are good.  Apparently, there's a dirth of good looking, non-annoying pilates instructors on you-tube.

Corkscrew: http://www.howcast.com/videos/505927-Advanced-Pilates-Mat-Exercises-Full-Corkscrew

Side Bend:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YszFnCMcbVM

Side Twist:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAZ1QtE5idU

2013-07-04 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Day 11... done before noon and beside the tub while kids take bath. Gotta grab those 600 seconds when I can :P. Happy 4th!
2013-07-04 1:39 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Laffenguy Done with another day. Going to start adding in some twisting motion ones to work side muscles now. If anyone has some good ideas, I could use some unique ones. I know all the normal ones. I dont really use a gym much, more body weight stuff. Everyone keep cranking the days out. Its only 10 minutes a day!

All of these instructors annoy me, but the exercises are good.  Apparently, there's a dirth of good looking, non-annoying pilates instructors on you-tube.

Corkscrew: http://www.howcast.com/videos/505927-Advanced-Pilates-Mat-Exercises-Full-Corkscrew

OK, dirth? Not a word. Dearth. That's the word. Heaven forbid I try to type messages without spell check. ; P And the 30 min edit rule sucks, just sayin. Hint hint :)
2013-07-04 1:40 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by 4agoodlife Day 11... done before noon and beside the tub while kids take bath. Gotta grab those 600 seconds when I can :P. Happy 4th!
That's commitment right there. Strong work...again:)
2013-07-04 3:37 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Core challenge 9 of 9.

All exercises 1 x 12

Standard crunch
Knees up crunch. Keep feet off floor.
Alternate twist crunch
Push ups
Heel touches
Bicycle crunches
Half up twists
Wide arm push ups
One min plank

Missed the chance to do this in the morning due to 4 hours sleep/10 mile bike/10 mile run/ back to work

Managed to get this done in my truck whilst at work, not easy doing those bicycles or knees up crunches done with steel toe capped boots on. Reminded me of being back in the Army
2013-07-04 3:45 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Core challenge 9 of 9. All exercises 1 x 12 Standard crunch Knees up crunch. Keep feet off floor. Alternate twist crunch Push ups Heel touches Bicycle crunches Half up twists Wide arm push ups One min plank Missed the chance to do this in the morning due to 4 hours sleep/10 mile bike/10 mile run/ back to work Managed to get this done in my truck whilst at work, not easy doing those bicycles or knees up crunches done with steel toe capped boots on. Reminded me of being back in the Army

Dang...You are on it today! Hard Core status earned Laughing

2013-07-04 10:34 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Busy day today... .8 - .9 ish mile swim, 6 mile MTN bike ride and got my 10 min in before food and beer this evening.
2013-07-05 5:39 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Interesting array of responses on the drinking question!  I'm so type A that I won't drink if I'm training the next day.  And I train every day but Sunday.  So I drink on Saturdays Laughing  But this weekend I have a race on Sunday, so I won't drink at all.  I used to be able to knock them back but at almost 40, it just affects me big time.  I think it's the dehydration affect.  And I generally just drink wine which I think creates a bit of a sinus headache at times.  But hubs and I love wine.  We even went to Sonoma for our honeymoon.  Man did we get wasted doing those wine tours Surprised

Switch, you are crazy.  You and your hubby posts these sick ab picks, then you say you often drink whiskey or beer daily.  I'm beginning to see that you are quite the anomaly!  A truly unique character.  I love it!

2013-07-05 8:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Interesting array of responses on the drinking question!  I'm so type A that I won't drink if I'm training the next day.  And I train every day but Sunday.  So I drink on Saturdays Laughing  But this weekend I have a race on Sunday, so I won't drink at all.  I used to be able to knock them back but at almost 40, it just affects me big time.  I think it's the dehydration affect.  And I generally just drink wine which I think creates a bit of a sinus headache at times.  But hubs and I love wine.  We even went to Sonoma for our honeymoon.  Man did we get wasted doing those wine tours Surprised

Switch, you are crazy.  You and your hubby posts these sick ab picks, then you say you often drink whiskey or beer daily.  I'm beginning to see that you are quite the anomaly!  A truly unique character.  I love it!

There is no friggin' way you are nearly 40!

To say switch is an anomaly is an understatement. I am starting to think she might be a freak of nature.

Edited by cdban66 2013-07-05 8:24 AM
2013-07-05 8:23 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Oooohhhhh, found a new core workout. Interested in opinions, give it a whirl...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KUjFh4J1dnc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv...
2013-07-05 8:24 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

There is no friggin' way you are nearly 40!

My thoughts exactly chris.

2013-07-05 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got engaged there (at Chateau St. Jean), and we're members of several winery wine clubs from Sonoma County.  I'll let everyone do the math on our wine consumption.  Cool

And I like me some beer, too.  And single malt in the winter.

This is perfect topic today, because...uh, I might have had one or six too many ALL DAY yesterday.  While in the sun.  Oops.

So this is a rare day where having a few is affecting my ability to train.  I'm a little dehydrated and didn't sleep well (that's the main problem for me...I can't sleep when I drink).

I'll try to plow through some kind of core workout today...if not, then I guess I'm doubling up tomorrow.

2013-07-05 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

What's with the freaky twin pilates instructors?  Surprised

2013-07-05 8:45 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pro
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Got engaged there (at Chateau St. Jean), and we're members of several winery wine clubs from Sonoma County.  I'll let everyone do the math on our wine consumption.  Cool

This is perfect topic today, because...uh, I might have had one or six too many ALL DAY yesterday.  While in the sun.  Oops.

So this is a rare day where having a few is affecting my ability to train.  I'm a little dehydrated and didn't sleep well (that's the main problem for me...I can't sleep when I drink).

I'll try to plow through some kind of core workout today...if not, then I guess I'm doubling up tomorrow.

I drink beer daily, and have all my life, usually 3 or 4 after I workout and with dinner....sometimes a couple more.  I don't miss workouts because of it, and I've never had a "beer gut".   Activity level is key.

2013-07-05 9:13 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I drink beer daily, and have all my life, usually 3 or 4 after I workout and with dinner....sometimes a couple more.  I don't miss workouts because of it, and I've never had a "beer gut".   Activity level is key.

Yup, this. Not just a lot of activity, but the intensity. Going hard.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 100d x 10m = 1 strong core Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED POSTS

MARCH ABS / CORE RESULTS

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2007-04-03 4:11 PM annie

ABS CORE - End of Week #3

Started by hazmaster
Views: 2065 Posts: 19

2007-04-03 7:41 AM saling4

MARCH ABS / CORE - 2ND WEEK!

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1733 Posts: 14

2007-03-26 4:13 PM tritwinmom

ABS / CORE MARCH CHALLENGE - TEAM LIST Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by hazmaster
Views: 10596 Posts: 121

2007-03-20 3:06 PM hazmaster

May Core Strengthening Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madkat
Views: 5610 Posts: 52

2006-06-03 2:57 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?

date : September 3, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 2
Why triathletes must absolutely warm up, activate muscles, strengthen core, and stretch effectively.
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Weight training and core strength information and links for the silver/gold plans.
date : January 30, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 0
The goal of this program is simple – for the cyclist to have IMPROVED performance when the next season rolls around, not merely to maintain last season’s fitness.

date : June 14, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 3
Top swimmers rotate the core of the body from one side to the other while keeping the head fixed. When you rotate in this way, you move through the water more like a fish, maximizing your efficiency.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 55
A strong core will allow you to keep optimal body alignment for whatever you’re doing (swim, bike or run), and this in turn will reduce your fatigue in the long run.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Manny
Train your core! The following program is designed for an in-season triathlete, can be done anywhere and with no equipment.