BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-31 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2319553

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
SSMinnow - 2009-07-31 10:01 AM Hey Sam---Big thumbs up on the willpower.  The cupcakes would have had me, but I would probably just have eaten the frosting!

Survived the rehearsal last night, but got home too late.  I was dragging this morning, but ended up having a good long run despite myself.  Today's run was interesting, a long Tempo will hill repeats thrown in to help me build strength for my HIM run which is 13.1m of Heartbreak hill.....I am sure I will be tired later, but all I have to do is go to a wedding, give a toast, and then eat too much. All in a day's work. 

PS for those who are my facebook friends my account was hacked again.  If you get a weird message from me that I need money, I don't!

Umm remember that thing yesterday about pictures???? Umm hello....waiting.....

2009-07-31 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2319650

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
DougRob - 2009-07-31 11:36 AM Question:  During my swim this morning I started feel some minor cramps in my right calf. Nothing that made me want to stop. The top of my left foot felt odd as well. I was supposed to swim 3250 yds. in 1' 5". At 45" I got a tremendous cramp in my left calf and had to float on my back as I tried to work it out and get to the side. I managed to get out and decided I would finish the 1000 uds before dinner tonight as I have 2 hours of bike to get through.

I took two Endurolyte capsules as soon as I got in the house this AM. I am assuming this is a nutrition thing (Suzy?) What should I be doing to prevent this? I am not talking during, although if there is something I can do please let me know, but rather what can I do as preventive maintenance? I do not want to experience anything like that in a longer tri.

Thanks,

Doug

P.S. If you include Sam in  her 13 person group at work then she was only one person short. Laughing

I had terrible cramping in my legs, back where ever all thoughout my HIM training.  Since I've gotten on a regular sports massage therapy schedule it has gone away.  I used to think it was lack of fluids but now I think it was all the kinks, literally, in my body.

Also are you stopping at the ends of lane and standing?  If so, make sure its not on your toes which is natural.  My master's coach told me to stand flat footed when I commented about a cramp esp. in the calf area.

I also used the cramps as a way to practice swimming out of them in case it happened in a race which it did at Mooseman.

And PPS - so I can't count!  And the other 2 in my group are larger but not obese that way you would think w/ all of the junk in our office.
2009-07-31 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
John you motivated me to change my auto signature now too!

Went over to the 70.3 expo at lunch....Some nice swag, but I decided to not buy any of that stuff until I actually finish one myself.NEXT YEAR!!!   Found out Alexander has pulled out. I sooooo wanted to give him a big high five on the run. Sounds like his next race is over in Rob's neck of the woods. 
2009-07-31 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2319946

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2009-07-31 1:12 PM John you motivated me to change my auto signature now too!

Went over to the 70.3 expo at lunch....Some nice swag, but I decided to not buy any of that stuff until I actually finish one myself.NEXT YEAR!!!   Found out Alexander has pulled out. I sooooo wanted to give him a big high five on the run. Sounds like his next race is over in Rob's neck of the woods. 

I did the same thing the night before and thought the same thing.  All I wanted was one of those mdot 70.3 visor's with the race logo on it.  The sold out at the expo and haven't gotten more in yet.  I check the site everyday. 

2009-07-31 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2319326

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
dalessit - 2009-07-31 10:56 AM
Just got back, sorry, I knew all but the one from A fish called wanda, never saw it.

Oh sure!!!!
Now that the answers are out I'm going to say I knew them all!Wink
2009-07-31 2:25 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Doug--Did you run or bike before your swim? If yes, it can be caused by muscle fatigue, inadequate stretching post run/bike or an electrolyte or hdyration issue. My guess is it would be the former.   If not, I agree with Sam.  Often times we point our toes when swimming and you go to give a good kick off the wall and you get a cramp.  It happens to me occasionally.  Best bet is to stretch it out in the water and not push off the wall.

Trevor--still sitting around in my shorts and tennis shoes so no dress yet.  Need to get that going in about 30 minutes.  Also FB deactivated my account because it was hacked into for the third time so can't even post anything that way.  Pain in the butt.

2009-07-31 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2320137

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2009-07-31 12:25 PM Doug--Did you run or bike before your swim? If yes, it can be caused by muscle fatigue, inadequate stretching post run/bike or an electrolyte or hdyration issue. My guess is it would be the former.   If not, I agree with Sam.  Often times we point our toes when swimming and you go to give a good kick off the wall and you get a cramp.  It happens to me occasionally.  Best bet is to stretch it out in the water and not push off the wall.

Trevor--still sitting around in my shorts and tennis shoes so no dress yet.  Need to get that going in about 30 minutes.  Also FB deactivated my account because it was hacked into for the third time so can't even post anything that way.  Pain in the butt.

Can't wait to see the gold shoes with the dress!  Hey, that is weird about your FB acct.  I got a pm here on BT where it was asking for money for a loan, similar to those scams where you get 20% commission!  Anyone else have that happen.  So strange.  I just deleted it.

Looking for a marathon training plan (either Hal Higdon or Runnersworld) anyone have any suggestions? 
2009-07-31 2:39 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
SSMinnow - 2009-07-31 2:25 PM Doug--Did you run or bike before your swim? If yes, it can be caused by muscle fatigue, inadequate stretching post run/bike or an electrolyte or hdyration issue. My guess is it would be the former.   If not, I agree with Sam.  Often times we point our toes when swimming and you go to give a good kick off the wall and you get a cramp.  It happens to me occasionally.  Best bet is to stretch it out in the water and not push off the wall.

I do point toes and 90% of the time push off lightly from the wall. I was trying to make my arms do most of the work. I has a strength workout yesterday morning which puts some strain on my legs that I can feel for the next few hours. I rode 1 hour on the trainer last night finishing about 8 hours before the swim. So it could be muscle fatigue like you suggest. It could be a hydration issue. If I drink too much after the workout and just before bed I have to get up during the night to go to the bathroom. Maybe I should drink more before I get in the pool. Maybe I should do a good stretch after the evening rides as well. Would that help?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Doug
2009-07-31 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2320171

User image

Elite
Raleigh
kt65 - 2009-07-31 2:38 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-31 12:25 PM Doug--Did you run or bike before your swim? If yes, it can be caused by muscle fatigue, inadequate stretching post run/bike or an electrolyte or hdyration issue. My guess is it would be the former.   If not, I agree with Sam.  Often times we point our toes when swimming and you go to give a good kick off the wall and you get a cramp.  It happens to me occasionally.  Best bet is to stretch it out in the water and not push off the wall.

Can't wait to see the gold shoes with the dress!  Hey, that is weird about your FB acct.  I got a pm here on BT where it was asking for money for a loan, similar to those scams where you get 20% commission!  Anyone else have that happen.  So strange.  I just deleted it.

Looking for a marathon training plan (either Hal Higdon or Runnersworld) anyone have any suggestions? 

Kim:

I have received two already. I report them to Marmadaddy and he banned the account that sent it.

Doug
2009-07-31 2:45 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-07-31 1:25 PM Doug--Did you run or bike before your swim? If yes, it can be caused by muscle fatigue, inadequate stretching post run/bike or an electrolyte or hdyration issue. My guess is it would be the former.   If not, I agree with Sam.  Often times we point our toes when swimming and you go to give a good kick off the wall and you get a cramp.  It happens to me occasionally.  Best bet is to stretch it out in the water and not push off the wall.

I'm going home in about 30 minutes for a bike ride. So I'll look forward to seeing the pictures posted when I get back.Wink

They have a neat thing going on COJ right now. They want you to go the 'welcome to BT forum' and give them some welcome love. And inspire someone you do not know. Its kind of neat. I used my 1000th post for that!

Edited by TrevorC 2009-07-31 2:51 PM
2009-07-31 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2320175

User image

Champion
marietta
DougRob - 2009-07-31 2:39 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-31 2:25 PM Doug--Did you run or bike before your swim? If yes, it can be caused by muscle fatigue, inadequate stretching post run/bike or an electrolyte or hdyration issue. My guess is it would be the former.   If not, I agree with Sam.  Often times we point our toes when swimming and you go to give a good kick off the wall and you get a cramp.  It happens to me occasionally.  Best bet is to stretch it out in the water and not push off the wall.

I do point toes and 90% of the time push off lightly from the wall. I was trying to make my arms do most of the work. I has a strength workout yesterday morning which puts some strain on my legs that I can feel for the next few hours. I rode 1 hour on the trainer last night finishing about 8 hours before the swim. So it could be muscle fatigue like you suggest. It could be a hydration issue. If I drink too much after the workout and just before bed I have to get up during the night to go to the bathroom. Maybe I should drink more before I get in the pool. Maybe I should do a good stretch after the evening rides as well. Would that help?

Doug

You should be stretching after your ride as well as your swim as well as your run.  I think I found some good stretching video's for each discipline here on BT some time ago.  I bet you a beer you cramped because you were not properly fueled.   Seriously eat a banana before your next swim.

2009-07-31 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2320193

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-31 2:49 PM
DougRob - 2009-07-31 2:39 PM

Doug

You should be stretching after your ride as well as your swim as well as your run.  I think I found some good stretching video's for each discipline here on BT some time ago.  I bet you a beer you cramped because you were not properly fueled.   Seriously eat a banana before your next swim.

My guess is your issue had a lot more to do with the workouts you did late in the day and the lack of stretching afterwards.  I stretch after every workout.  Takes like 5 minutes so it is well worth the time!
2009-07-31 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Following my plan, I did a 1000m swim time trial - 16:43.  I was hoping to get under 16, but oh well.  Off to get in my second workout - a nice easy bike.  I'm getting set up with this easy stuff because of what lies ahead in the next few weeks.

2009-07-31 3:34 PM

User image

Champion
And the winner is.....

And my new nickname is Commandent!  Gotta run....
2009-07-31 3:56 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
so...were those the gold ones on the left or the brown ones in the middle?

man look at those triceps!!!

Edited by kt65 2009-07-31 3:57 PM
2009-07-31 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2320297

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-07-31 3:34 PM And the winner is.....

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!!!   YOU ARE SMOKIN'!  

AND GOING COMMANDO!  LMAO.

I LOVE IT!!!

Oh and ahhh....Trevor just called me and told me he was trying to look down your dress in the first picture but I told him to knock it off.  You owe me one.

2009-07-31 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2320374

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-07-31 4:08 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-31 3:34 PM And the winner is.....

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!!!   YOU ARE SMOKIN'!  

AND GOING COMMANDO!  LMAO.

I LOVE IT!!!

Oh and ahhh....Trevor just called me and told me he was trying to look down your dress in the first picture but I told him to knock it off.  You owe me one.

Suzy - You look great!  Have a good time

John - you are bit "off" to come up with that stuff - ROTFLMAO!

2009-07-31 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

Lookin' Good Suzy!  Hope the bride isn't pissed about you stealing all of the attention!

Thanks for all the congrats - we're pretty excited about our first date since Sam was born.  Dinner at a restaurant at the top of 'the tower' over looking Bellingham and the San Juan Islands. 

I've had a bit of a cold this week - weird, having a 'cold' when temps have been in the 90's.  Anyway, starting to feel better and hoping to get in a 55-60 miler tomorrow

2009-07-31 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Great choice Suzy!

Hey peeps:

I finally put up my race report from NYC Tri.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=172557&posts=1&start=1

yay. :-)

dbw27
2009-07-31 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2320474

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Very Sexah Suzy!

So I did my initial test for the situps.  Does the situp style the recommend seem easy?  I was able to do 140 situps and wasn't really straining at 140, lol just more worried about putting myself in pain tomorrow which seems to happen when I get all gung ho about lifting again and do too much the first day, so I stopped there.

I just want to make sure I am doing their situp style correctly, back flat, lift up, to about 35 degrees or so, not too high, then back down right?

Also do we need a spreadsheet or anything for this situp challenge?

Edited by dalessit 2009-07-31 7:06 PM
2009-07-31 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2320297

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-07-31 2:34 PM And the winner is.....

Ummm ya. Wowsers that's all I've got Suz.

2009-07-31 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2320659

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-07-31 6:05 PM Very Sexah Suzy!

So I did my initial test for the situps.  Does the situp style the recommend seem easy?  I was able to do 140 situps and wasn't really straining at 140, lol just more worried about putting myself in pain tomorrow which seems to happen when I get all gung ho about lifting again and do too much the first day, so I stopped there.

I just want to make sure I am doing their situp style correctly, back flat, lift up, to about 35 degrees or so, not too high, then back down right?

Tony if you can do 140, I think you are good to go. That is a ton. I'm doing my tomorrow, and I'm thinking 40 or so.  Sunds like you're doing it right.
2009-07-31 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2320731

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
TrevorC - 2009-07-31 7:55 PM

Tony if you can do 140, I think you are good to go. That is a ton. I'm doing my tomorrow, and I'm thinking 40 or so.  Sunds like you're doing it right.

Back BK (before kids) I used to do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and we used to do a ton of core work before class, maybe some of that is still left I guess.

LOL, thats me, not Sam, sorry forgot to look again...

Edited by sdalessio 2009-07-31 9:07 PM
2009-07-31 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2320731

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

30 for me...  I don't have a core that will crumble, I have a big cookie where my core should be...

2009-07-31 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2320826

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

sdalessio - 2009-07-31 9:06 PM

Back BK (before kids) I used to do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and we used to do a ton of core work before class, maybe some of that is still left I guess.

LOL, thats me, not Sam, sorry forgot to look again...

Dang it Tony, stop that!  It was interesting when it was Sam doing Jiu-Jitsu, but now I feel like I have been cheated

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383