Other Resources My Cup of Joe » This may be callous but.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-05-15 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1404065

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: RE: This may be callous but....

mr2tony - 2008-05-15 7:16 AM I hear everyday about how people were taken by unsrupulous lenders using illegal sales tactics and bold-faced lies to sell their crappy ARMs to unsuspecting souls who were duped into buying something they couldn't afford. Bullsh*t! When we bought our first house the mortgage company, which was garbage, tried to sell us the ARM loan. I did some reading and research and found after about two minutes that it wasn't in our best interest to take a loan that basically doubled in five years since we planned to keep the house for a long time. When we bought our condo her in Chicago, we went so far as to hire a lawyer to review all the documents to be sure everything was up to snuff. It was a pretty easy contract to read but with the condo association getting its ugly head in the middle, I wanted to be sure I wasn't getting into something I couldn't handle. We now own two houses that we can afford, both with low interest rates that are fixed for life, all because I took a few minutes to do some reading and research. If people can't take a little time out of their day to make an informed decision about the biggest purchase of their lives, then I say screw them -- that's their fault, not mine.

Totally agree with you Tony - - but there is a third factor.  In addition to the unscrupulous lenders and the non-researchers, there were people who tried to take advantage of the upswing by buying a house simply to re-sell it at a higher price and pocket the equity.  Many of these people are stuck in their current overpriced home.  It's a gamble that paid off for a lot of people, but with any gamble, there is risk involved. Since all they did was help inflate the market, I have no sympathy for them.

2008-05-15 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1404131

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
nm

Edited by newleaf 2008-05-15 9:36 AM
2008-05-15 9:37 AM
in reply to: #1404131

User image

Expert
MA
run4yrlif - 2008-05-14 10:32 AM

Is anyone proposing any sort of tax increase for the bailout, or is it merely allocation of current tax revenue? If it's the latter, you're not really reaching into your wallet, since it will already have been reached into.

Additional taxes have been floated around repeatedly but won't happen. It's not in the politicians' best interests.

A re-allocation of tax revenue for this is absolutely reaching into my wallet. They take a couple billion and spend it to bail out the banks. Where does that money come from? It would have been used on something else, right? Do you really think they'll cut that something else to balance the budget? Or do we all get that they'll just toss it into the deficit, which is a simplified way of saying "your kids' wallets"?
2008-05-15 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1404065

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-15 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1404159

Giver

chadtower - 2008-05-15 10:37 AM
run4yrlif - 2008-05-14 10:32 AM Is anyone proposing any sort of tax increase for the bailout, or is it merely allocation of current tax revenue? If it's the latter, you're not really reaching into your wallet, since it will already have been reached into.
Additional taxes have been floated around repeatedly but won't happen. It's not in the politicians' best interests. A re-allocation of tax revenue for this is absolutely reaching into my wallet. They take a couple billion and spend it to bail out the banks. Where does that money come from? It would have been used on something else, right? Do you really think they'll cut that something else to balance the budget? Or do we all get that they'll just toss it into the deficit, which is a simplified way of saying "your kids' wallets"?

I'm just saying...they've already got your money...or they would have it anyway, at least.

2008-05-15 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1404196

Expert
MA
run4yrlif - 2008-05-14 10:46 AM

I'm just saying...they've already got your money...or they would have it anyway, at least.

That's true, but having my money, and totally wasting it, are not the same. I want the gov't to get reasonable value for my money too. I pay them more of my money than most other things combined and expect that money to go do defense and capital projects. Every dollar they spend on this bailout goes to neither - and thus what I actually pay for does not get done. That is wasted money and I don't make it a habit to allow vendors/providers to bill me without providing results.

Deficit spending is even worse - that DOES come out of our pocket eventually - since if they actually used their revenue reasonably our tax rates could be dramatically lower, thus a smaller hand in my wallet.

As for Joe Lunchbucket and the 50% dumber than him... sure, the lender has a responsibility to not lend to Joe if Joe cannot afford that loan. To whom does that responsibility lie, though? I don't think it is to Joe. The lender is responsible to his shareholders, and if they can make money off of Joe even if Joe defaults, their responsibility is being fulfilled. The problem there, as I see it, is that there are too many Joe Lunchbuckets defaulting, and that is where the lender fails accountability to shareholders.

Edited by chadtower 2008-05-15 9:54 AM

2008-05-15 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1404134

Master
Surprise, Arizona
triguyfitz - 2008-05-15 8:33 AM

Totally agree with you Tony - - but there is a third factor.  In addition to the unscrupulous lenders and the non-researchers, there were people who tried to take advantage of the upswing by buying a house simply to re-sell it at a higher price and pocket the equity.  Many of these people are stuck in their current overpriced home.  It's a gamble that paid off for a lot of people, but with any gamble, there is risk involved. Since all they did was help inflate the market, I have no sympathy for them.

Amen - I paid an extra 100K for my house because of the 'investors', and if they're in trouble now, tough.

Edited by BHannahs 2008-05-15 10:10 AM
2008-05-15 10:17 AM
in reply to: #1404273

Giver
BHannahs - 2008-05-15 11:08 AM

Amen - I paid an extra 100K for my house because of the 'investors', and if they're in trouble now, tough.

You could easilly turn that around and say that your house is worth $100K less because of predatory lending tactics.

2008-05-15 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1404309

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
run4yrlif - 2008-05-15 11:17 AM
BHannahs - 2008-05-15 11:08 AM

Totally agree with you Tony - - but there is a third factor. In addition to the unscrupulous lenders and the non-researchers, there were people who tried to take advantage of the upswing by buying a house simply to re-sell it at a higher price and pocket the equity. Many of these people are stuck in their current overpriced home. It's a gamble that paid off for a lot of people, but with any gamble, there is risk involved. Since all they did was help inflate the market, I have no sympathy for them.

You could easilly turn that around and say that your house is worth $100K less because of predatory lending tactics.

Fine, so we (I at least) am saying...

Screw...

• uneducated buyers
  • predatory lenders
  • people who bought a house to flip it
  • anyone else who I haven't mentioned who will be a recipient, direct or indirect, intentional or unintentional, and all those who will directly or indirectly benefit by the bailout, and future generations of those people who may receive a larger sum upon the death of the aforementioned as a result of the bailout, which may include myself, so screw myself.
Yes, there are lots of parties with a hand in this.  WE GET IT. 
2008-05-15 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1403866

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great discussion!

With all of that said.. I do agree with the OP.

I find it rather funny that some people think if they don't live in a house their lives are over. Like it's their RIGHT to own a house. They HAVE to own a house. I've seen news stories with some of these people going into foreclosure... and they act like if they aren't living in this huge house they can't go on. HELLO... sell the house (if you can)... move to an apartment. OMG! AN APARTMENT???!!!! Yes, and apartment with rent that someone can pay.

I also think that a lot of people out there took a gamble... they got a house way above their income level because of the low interest rate and took a gamble they could continue the payments once the interest rate went up. Or, they didn't even thing that far down the line. Or they thought they could refinance when that time came around. Again, a gamble.

I think it sucks that the government has to come in to bail these idiots out (lenders and home buyers). Unfortunately, if they don't... everyone is affected. Even people who don't own homes.

2008-05-15 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1404359

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

KSH - 2008-05-15 11:30 AM Great discussion! With all of that said.. I do agree with the OP. I find it rather funny that some people think if they don't live in a house their lives are over. Like it's their RIGHT to own a house. They HAVE to own a house. I've seen news stories with some of these people going into foreclosure... and they act like if they aren't living in this huge house they can't go on. HELLO... sell the house (if you can)... move to an apartment. OMG! AN APARTMENT???!!!! Yes, and apartment with rent that someone can pay.

Unfortunately, if they don't... everyone is affected. Even people who don't own homes.

So what about renters who lose their housing because the landlord can't afford the apartment building, and goes into foreclosure?  Those people tried to live within their means, finding an affordable place, were making the payments, and yet will still get kicked out.  I've seen that happen, and it is one of the reasons that people try to buy a home of their own.

2008-05-15 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1404359

2008-05-15 10:50 AM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
You think this is bad, wait until you get to government healthcare....
2008-05-15 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1404036

Elite
In The Peleton
sesh - 2008-05-15 9:08 AM

Just an example of how loose it was:  For a while, you didn't even have to verify your income.  Just write down a number and that's what they used to figure out your debt to income ratio. 

An example of how tight it's gotten:  I've seen mortgage apps turned down because Fannie, or Freddie, whoever was going to be buying the mortgage after origination, was requiring 3 comparable sales within a square mile in the last 90 days.

To your first point, right on, this is one of the products that caused the problems.

To your second point, this is due to declining values being seen in areas which have previously been immune to the market volatility.  I'm a mortgage originator and only one of our lenders has implemented the 90 day policy for comps--most are still using the 6 month rule, though I expect we will likely see them follow suit here shortly.

2008-05-15 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1404419

Pro
Parker, CO
Spokes - 2008-05-15 9:47 AM

In a way, this is a form of murder, although people don't directly 'die' - but I've thought for a long time that we underpunish a lot of white collar crime. A guy holds up a 7/11 and shoots and kills the clerk, he gets either the death penalty, or life, but a MBA wrecks a company or a portion of the economy, he gets a BONUS and no punishment - when I'd argue people like Keating, Ken Lay, etc. are far, far worse because what they do hurts a lot more people. A *lot*. Why don't we put white collar criminals in prison for life, or consider the death penalty for them if they screw up enough? Answer - they have better lawyers. 

I'm pretty sure Lay is dead...although it wasn't by execution.  Anyway, I agree with your point on white collar crime.  It's amazing to me that a major corporation can basically stick it too the employees and often shareholders (far too many to mention) and the executives continue to make their bonuses while the company and stock price go down the toilet.

As far as bailing out the banks or people that got in over their head...sad story for the people that lose their homes.  Screw the (greedy) banks! 

2008-05-15 12:00 PM

Expert
Weymouth, MA

Please re-read Sesh's posts.  The point of the bailout isn't to help people who messed up and give them a free ride.  It's to help everyone.  If these enormous banks and mortgage backed securities investors are not partially made whole this entire mess of an economy is going to get much much worse.  There will be many more corporations like Bear Stearns laying off tens of thousands of people and there we go circling down the toilet.

Take a break from patting yourselves on the back for being so smart.  If we don't help inject some capital into these industries people (yes even those with 30-year fixeds) will lose ultimately lose their jobs and be defaulting as well.

Let's have a little compassion.  Yes, a few spoiled it for all of us but let's not cut off our nose to spite our face.  (I just wanted to use that saying).

2008-05-15 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1404621

Master
, Minnesota
Wow, you're descibing a proverbial house of cards.

So...taking $ from one group (i.e taxes from me and you), to pay another (banks or borrowers) to save the original group (me and you) from losing $ is the solution?

Why not save the tax $, let us all go swirling down and see what happens?

rcberto - 2008-05-15 12:00 PM

Please re-read Sesh's posts.  The point of the bailout isn't to help people who messed up and give them a free ride.  It's to help everyone.  If these enormous banks and mortgage backed securities investors are not partially made whole this entire mess of an economy is going to get much much worse.  There will be many more corporations like Bear Stearns laying off tens of thousands of people and there we go circling down the toilet.

Take a break from patting yourselves on the back for being so smart.  If we don't help inject some capital into these industries people (yes even those with 30-year fixeds) will lose ultimately lose their jobs and be defaulting as well.

Let's have a little compassion.  Yes, a few spoiled it for all of us but let's not cut off our nose to spite our face.  (I just wanted to use that saying).

2008-05-15 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1404621

Champion
Chicago

Where does it end. So let's say the auto industry is going down the tubes, and that means tens of thousands will lose their jobs, do we jump in and bail them out. Oh, wait, we did that already. OK so what about the farmers -- if crop prices go through the floor are we supposed to spend our taxpayer dollars on helping them!? Oh, another bad example. Hmm ... basically in this country it IS OK to fail because the government will save you.

When's the `newspaper bailout?' Newspapers are losing money hand over fist these days and laying of thousands of people each year. Why not give them a subsidy or a bailout?
2008-05-15 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1404846

2008-05-15 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1404811

Expert
RC may be describing a house of cards, but isn't that where we are already? The base is crumbling and it won't be long before more and bigger chunks start falling.
Am I happy with a bailout that will, in some way, shape, or form, cost me money? No. Either way there is a bad outcome....no bailout could mean some big institutions go down, while a bailout may hurt us all a little. Bottom line is there is no painless way to get out as the damage has been done.
For me, the housing market has meant I still will be driving an hour each a.m. to drop my daughter off then get to work as opposed to 30 min had we bought a house closer to her school as we planned to do. But now there is no way we are moving. We would have been asking $150K more than we paid on '01 had we sold 2 years ago. Now the people behind us who bought the same week we did in '01 have had there house on the market 9 months and are asking LESS than they paid originally....it isn't selling. Beautiful home....just sitting there.
It's gonna affect each and every one of us eventually....and yes, it sucks....

leapdog - 2008-05-15 12:50 PM

Wow, you're descibing a proverbial house of cards.

So...taking $ from one group (i.e taxes from me and you), to pay another (banks or borrowers) to save the original group (me and you) from losing $ is the solution?

Why not save the tax $, let us all go swirling down and see what happens?

2008-05-15 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1404846

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
mr2tony - 2008-05-15 2:02 PM

Please re-read Sesh's posts. The point of the bailout isn't to help people who messed up and give them a free ride. It's to help everyone. If these enormous banks and mortgage backed securities investors are not partially made whole this entire mess of an economy is going to get much much worse. There will be many more corporations like Bear Stearns laying off tens of thousands of people and there we go circling down the toilet.

Take a break from patting yourselves on the back for being so smart. If we don't help inject some capital into these industries people (yes even those with 30-year fixeds) will lose ultimately lose their jobs and be defaulting as well.

Let's have a little compassion. Yes, a few spoiled it for all of us but let's not cut off our nose to spite our face. (I just wanted to use that saying).

Where does it end. So let's say the auto industry is going down the tubes, and that means tens of thousands will lose their jobs, do we jump in and bail them out. Oh, wait, we did that already. OK so what about the farmers -- if crop prices go through the floor are we supposed to spend our taxpayer dollars on helping them!? Oh, another bad example. Hmm ... basically in this country it IS OK to fail because the government will save you. When's the `newspaper bailout?' Newspapers are losing money hand over fist these days and laying of thousands of people each year. Why not give them a subsidy or a bailout?

Don't forget the airlines.  I think they've been bailed out multiple times, and still continue to lose money.  But we should have "compassion."  By all means, let's bail them out again. 

2008-05-15 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1404811

Expert
Weymouth, MA
leapdog - 2008-05-15 1:50 PM Wow, you're descibing a proverbial house of cards. So...taking $ from one group (i.e taxes from me and you), to pay another (banks or borrowers) to save the original group (me and you) from losing $ is the solution? Why not save the tax $, let us all go swirling down and see what happens?

Because it'll be too late by then.  We have a chance to partially correct our mistakes. 

Tony, the other "bad" examples (which were good examples by the way) are industries that provide important irreplaceable services to  the American public.   Newspapers are dying off because they are becoming obsolete.  People who lose their jobs in that instance will move to online news groups or need to reinvent themselves.  I'd hate to see the price of food if the american farmer dies off.  Much more expensive than partially subsidizing the industry.

2008-05-15 1:11 PM

Expert
MA

It really does look like a lot of these industries need to fail so that they can stabilize at the appropriate levels. Sure, that will be painful, but you don't fix a leaky dyke by throwing more water behind it.
2008-05-15 1:16 PM

Champion
Brandon, MS

For the record, I'm not saying this is how we should do it, if it's right or wrong, fair or unfair, or anything.  Just noting the situation of failing corporations and it's potential impact on the economy.  That is why these bailouts were proposed, not for compassion to the individual who lost their home.  This housing mess is the potential powder keg with some very large macro-economic consequences.

I'm not sure there is any tax money involved here.  The way I would assume it works is these defaults are crammed down to a reasonable value with the banks charging off the difference, the rate lowered, and the loan reamoritzed.  The corporations still take a bath, but not such a crippling one, and some people are able to get back into a home.  Fair to those of us who never skip a beat no the payments?  No.  Good for you and me in the grand scheme of things if it keeps a few companies with trillions in assets from failing?  Most likely.

2008-05-15 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1404868

Expert
Weymouth, MA
newleaf - 2008-05-15 2:07 PM
mr2tony - 2008-05-15 2:02 PM

Please re-read Sesh's posts. The point of the bailout isn't to help people who messed up and give them a free ride. It's to help everyone. If these enormous banks and mortgage backed securities investors are not partially made whole this entire mess of an economy is going to get much much worse. There will be many more corporations like Bear Stearns laying off tens of thousands of people and there we go circling down the toilet.

Take a break from patting yourselves on the back for being so smart. If we don't help inject some capital into these industries people (yes even those with 30-year fixeds) will lose ultimately lose their jobs and be defaulting as well.

Let's have a little compassion. Yes, a few spoiled it for all of us but let's not cut off our nose to spite our face. (I just wanted to use that saying).

Where does it end. So let's say the auto industry is going down the tubes, and that means tens of thousands will lose their jobs, do we jump in and bail them out. Oh, wait, we did that already. OK so what about the farmers -- if crop prices go through the floor are we supposed to spend our taxpayer dollars on helping them!? Oh, another bad example. Hmm ... basically in this country it IS OK to fail because the government will save you. When's the `newspaper bailout?' Newspapers are losing money hand over fist these days and laying of thousands of people each year. Why not give them a subsidy or a bailout?

Don't forget the airlines. I think they've been bailed out multiple times, and still continue to lose money. But we should have "compassion." By all means, let's bail them out again.

Regarding the compassion comment, I'm not advocating we all send Hallmark Cards to the Bear Stearns executives.  We are all spouting off about how smart we are and how we are living below our means.  My point is that everyone who is being affected by this mess didn't sign up for a one-year arm and cry foul.  People are getting screwed by the fallout and you may be next.  I suspect you'd be singing a different tune if you were.

BTW, I'm in a 30-year fixed living "below my means" too.  But if I lose my job because the economy completely tanks my means dramatically change as I'm sure yours does.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » This may be callous but.... Rss Feed  

of 3