2008-12-18 1:36 PM
in reply to: #1861546

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- OPEN
soccermom15 - 2008-12-18 2:30 PM

So I'm looking forward to getting some

Hmm, I never thought of being here for that...    I like this group already!

2008-12-18 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Austin,TX
If there is still room available I would like to join the crew! Let me know!
2008-12-18 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I'm back again to join in the fun, keep on learning, and try to stop being a knucklehead when I race!

NAME: Bob/willie05

STORY: I live in Pittsburgh and am 42.  I've just finished my 2nd year of training and doing triathlons.  At the start of 2007, I couldn't believe how badly I was out of shape, so I decided to get serious about losing weight.  Pretty soon I remembered that I always wanted to race in a triathlon.  I always liked to swim and ride bikes, I had a mountain bike that I won at work, but I never liked to run, but figured I'd have to suck it up.  So I did a quick search, found this site, and the rest is history!

I had a great time training throughout 2007, and ended up doing 2 sprint triathlons that year.  I also went from 210 to 165 lbs.  Cool

Going into 2008, my mistake was that I figured I knew what I was doing and put it into cruise control.  I never got the speed back that I had in 2007 and put on weight even as I was training.  I got a tri-bike, and did 2 olympics and 1 sprint, but my results weren't nearly as good as I was expecting.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for 13 years, and we have two daughters who are 11 and 8. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been taking it too easy for the last month or so with only light running and now some stationary bike, but I'm ready to kick it back into gear. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did the Morgantown Olympic.  Screwed up my aero drink and half of it spilled all over me during the bike, so I had nothing left for the run.  That was not ideal because the last 1 1/2 miles of that was solid, steep hills!  Did the Pittsburgh Olympic.  Had the aero drink all figured out and ready to go.  However, within 30 secs of the start of the bike, rounded a corner and promptly crashed right into a guy standing there on his bike.  Of course the drink all spilled out, and again I had nothing left for the run, so I took it nice and easy.  Finally did the Akron Sprint, with no mishaps except a sore hamstring, so just went out and enjoyed it while watching everyone run right by me!! Laughing

2009 RACES: Pittsburgh 1/2 Marathon in May, Pittsburgh Olympic, Springfield, OH HIM (my first HIM!), Akron Sprint, Savageman Olympic or HIM.  I'll also fit in a couple other shorter races in between.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've climbed back up to 185, so I need to get that back off - and now!

2008-12-18 1:48 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

I understand where you are coming from SoccerMOM.....My wife is very supportive of me as she has seen my attitude towards life change in the last year by losing the 45lbs.

But I dont think sometimes she understands what I am trying to fully accomplish. She does an interest in triathlons, but for right now its an interest to watch me do it! We do have have 2 young girls, so she has been great with letting me run to the gym on the weekends in the early AM.

I think sometimes she is blown away that i can get up at 4:45 am to get into the pool at 5:30 for a 30 minute swim before I head off to work. She does get her workouts in mostly at night when the kids are in bed. I am fortunate that i can workout during the day(my gym is across the street from work) and I have a pretty flexible job.

2008-12-18 2:06 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Keep em' coming.... The group is looking good.  I will continue to check in, and send more out as we finalize the group! 

Today.... Got up @ 5:30 to head out the doors for a run with the wife (KIM) and my chocolate lab (Kona)--- REMEMBER THESE 2 NAMES! WE DO EVERYTHING TOGETHER.... Anyways, it's snowing, so we dress accordingly and hit the road.  We start running and get a 1/2 mile from the house, and the wind is so bad that you can't look up or you will get snow blasting you in the face, and you can't look down because the wind is blowing the snow up in your face....

We chucked a u-turn went home poured a cup of coffee, added another jacket, and went for a nice walked!  However, guilt is killing me know for not working out, but I have gone 16 of the last 17 days with a workout so a break is nice.

I also tried to get to work.  Made it there after 1 1/2 hours (only 9 miles).... I was in the parking lot, and SAID SCREW IT... I AM GOING HOME!  Never even got at of the car.  We have gotten about 6 inches in the last 3 or 4 hours.  Going to be sketchy in Seattle for the next couple days!  We are all wimps here.  Only know rain.... NOT SNOW!

2008-12-18 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1861589

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

LTRAIN - 2008-12-18 11:38 AM If there is still room available I would like to join the crew! Let me know!

SURE COME ON IN!!!!

2008-12-18 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1861637

User image

Expert
Missouri

Yeah, I have the opportunity to work out during the day if I want to on my lunch hour.  I work at a college so have access to the gym but it's pretty small - only 2 bikes (with very hard seats), 3 TM's and some older weight machines.  It's nice to have the option though if the rest of the day is too packed with other things. 

I'd love to be able to get up early enough to hit the gym for a swim when they open at 5:30 but I am just not a morning person.  It's a little easier to drag myself out of bed during the spring/summer when the sun comes up earlier, but during the winter I just can't make myself do it.  It's one of those times when I wish my DH was a little pushier Laughing.  Hopefully being a part of this group will help with the motivation on those cold mornings.  Having a little accountablility might be just what I need.  

2008-12-18 2:17 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Name: Suzy

Family Status:  Married for 19 years

Current Training: I am currently rehabing after getting hit by a bike this summer so am following no formal training plan.  I do have a running coach, am taking a bike class using a PowerMeter for the first time, and continue to try to become a better swimmer (my limiter).

My Story: Started training for my first marathon at age 39 after watching IM WI.  Took several years to qualify for Boston and with that behind me turned to tris.  Big problem, no swimming skills.  Didn't learn as a kid, nearly drowned on my honeymoon so big time water phobia. I have worked for two years to get where I am currently.

2008 Races: Boston Marathon, a couple of half marathons and 10Ks, and three sprints.

2009 Goals: Depending on how my rehab goes I am hoping to run Boston again in April.  I have two weeks to make the call.  I am behind on my training for that no matter what.  I do want to do my first Olympic and if swimming progresses a 1/2 IM in July. 

Weightloss: I am not really looking to drop any lbs right now.  I am working on decreasing BF% a bit since it has risen with fewer running miles 

What do I want help with: Creating balance with three sports.  I tend to get overzealous and  assume I can maintain the same level of running while adding biking and swimming which doesn't always work so well.  I would also like any insight into how to become a better swimmer. 

What can I provide: Maybe I can chime in on running advice/tips.  I have built up my knowledge quit a bit in this area.  I probably can also provide an ounce or two of motivation.  I love working out, love this sport and love hanging out with people with like goals!

What's next?

2008-12-18 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

NAME: gadgetlaw/Karen

STORY: I am from Greensburg, PA - outside of Pittsburgh.  I started running (still very slowly) about three or four years ago.  Last year I decided to try my hand at tris.  I'm not really sure why - I just thought it would be a fun challenge because I was bored with just doing 5k because it was not really a challenge.  Yes, I could have definitely trained to do them faster, but I like new challenges.  I think once I know that I can complete something, I want to move on to something more challenging, if that makes sense.  Anyway, I did 2 sprints last year and would like to do at least an Olympic this year and maybe a 1/2 mary.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Tom for almost 7 years, a Greyhound named Magnum and a cat named Gadget!

CURRENT TRAINING:  Help needed here!  I am such a slacker over the winter.  I have much more motivation when I have races scheduled and know what I am working toward.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Some 5ks and two sprints - one close to home and one in Indiana state while we were on vacation!! 

2009 RACES:  This is also up in the air for me.  The sprint close to home, at lease one  Oly and hopefully a half mary - if someone can tell me how to get in that training while still biking and swimming.

WEIGHTLOSS:   In the past 3 years I have lost over 100 pounds.  I have playing around with 20 or so pounds for the past year.  I want to lose them for good!!!  Any and all motivation accepted and appreciated here!

I look forward to getting to know everyone here and kicking some tri but next year!!

Karen 

2008-12-18 2:39 PM

User image

Austin,TX
Name - Benton

Story - After years of sitting around and working in an office in Memphis>Nashville, DC; last year I was transfered to Austin, TX and found myself in one of the fittest cities in the U.S., only to realize I was grossly out of shape and overweight. As I tried to figure out what diet etc... I should do to cut down I realized that the only way I was going to get anywhere was by setting a goal and actually training for something instead of just working out. I had always considered a triathlon to be the ultimate athletic feat but never dreamed of attempting one. With the help of this site I started training in Feburary and completed two sprint tri's, it was the best i have ever felt and i have had the bug ever since. The problem was that I went from 0 - 60 and burnt myself out! Its hard to go from not working out in 10+ years all the way to working out 6 days a week nearly twice a day!! So after the season I basically stopped working out and lost a good portion of my base and most of the lean muscle that i built up. But thats ok I still lost nearly 40lbs over that time period and almost had to get a second job to afford all the new clothing... so i took that motivation and started back in Nov. building up my base and have now laid out my plan for 2009. Im really looking forward to using this group as a sounding board and the ability to gain some good knowledge and advice!!

Family Status - I am single and enjoying it for now. Although I do have an awesome Bulldog named Deuce!

Current Training - I am using the BT Marathon training program currently. I am only in the 2nd week of the program and I try to maintain my tri base by swimming or biking at least once or twice a week.

2009 - My plan is to run a 1/2 in Feb. a full mary in April, then run some shorter sprint tri's in preperation for the Nations Tri in DC in September. The cool thing about that race is it is the day after my 30th birthday! I cant think of a better way to spend it!

Weightloss Goals - I would like to get below 200lbs this year. I dont think it will be that difficult, all i have to do is eat fairly healthy and keep working out and the stuff practically melts off!

Edited by LTRAIN 2008-12-18 2:40 PM
2008-12-18 2:43 PM

User image

Temecula, CA

If there's still room for one more, I'd love to join.   I'll forward the "vitals"  a little later.  Finished my first sprint in Nov, just to get one in while I was still in the under 40 group.  Looking to do a couple more this year and maybe one Oly.

Scott

2008-12-18 2:44 PM

User image

Regular
Hi!

I'd love to join the group! This will be my second triathlon season! If there is still room, let me know and I'll post all my info up!

Lex
2008-12-18 2:52 PM

User image

Regular

Okay... so maybe I'll just jump right in, still says open so I'll try and get in here while I can!!

FAMILY STATUS: Happy relationship

CURRENT TRAINING: JUST finished up training for Air Traffic Control, so my triathlon training pretty much went in the tubes during the training. It was a compressed course, and I had no time to do anything else... been doing a few swims a week, pilates and some running when I can get it in! Can't wait to start up again in the new year once I get back home!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This was my first year of any kind of racing! Did a few 5k's, 8km, two sprints and also Leg 2 of the north face Canadian Death race (which has me hooked on adventure racing!)!!

2009 RACES:  Not too sure yet, I know I want to do a half iron this year, and a half marathon, with possibility of a full marathon late in the season. Can't wait to go back and do the death race again, and I'd like to add another long/adventure run in there somewhere.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose about 20lbs if I can, would really like to lean down this year. I've lost about 30 in the past year or so, and even though I'm not really heavy I just know I'd perform better and feel great with a little less. Food is my downfall! I love to eat.. also eat when stressed and ... since I'm training for ATC.. I'm stressed a bit of the time! ;-)

2008-12-18 3:02 PM

User image

Hope you have room for one more!!!!!!

Name: bragg69/Jared

Story: I am from southeastern Idaho and started doing triathlons last year. I am 34 years old and started running a couple of years ago due to weight issues. I completed a couple half marathons and met a guy who suggested I try a triathlon. So in the spring of 08 I learned how to not drown and started biking. Several issues limited my training, but I was able to complete 2 sprints and can't wait for the upcoming year.

Family Status: Married (Teva) 10 years and have 4 kids, three boys and one girl ages 8-1

Current Plan: Constructed a training plan utilizing "The Training Bible" and started Dec. 1.

2009 Races: Plan on aproximately 2 sprints, 3 olys, and Boise 70.3

Weight Loss: Need to loss those 15 pounds of winter weight to race at about 170. One of the reasons I exercise is so I can justifiy eating all those foods.

2008-12-18 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1861491

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
soccermom15 - 2008-12-18 2:14 PM <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 teenagers (1 boy, 1 girl), 2-1/2 cats (the ½ is because she’s not technically ours – we’re fostering her for the Humane Society until she finds a permanent home).

Janet

That is so funny that you say that you have 1/2 a cat. One of my friends always says that she has 3/4 of a cat - but that is because she wasn't born with front paws (the cat, not my friend) - just stubs. Sometimes we tell people that she doesn't have front paws because she was scratching the couch too much.....

I am jealous that you have done a half mary - that is one of my goals for next year. How did it go? You'll love the tris!!

Karen

2008-12-18 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1861797

User image

Regular
Kimberly, WI
I'd like to join this group! I'm a still a newbie to this multi sport fun and could use a good mentor to learn more and a training group to help keep me motivated!

2008-12-18 3:17 PM

User image

Regular
Lewiston, ID
It was interesting just putting my name in for this group. I got motivated and went for a swim at lunch. I am excited for the upcomming year and working in this group

Side Note: Lexus where are you going to be stationed after your training? My brother will be in CO in march.

Shawn
2008-12-18 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Looks like there's already quite a crowd here, but I'd love to join if there's still space.  I badly need some motivation to get me through this winter!  It's my first cold, snowy winter since I started tri training and so far it's not going so well.  I just don't have the motivation to venture out in the cold or to workout indoors.  Let me know if there's still space and i'll post more of an intro.  Thanks!
2008-12-18 4:08 PM

User image

Temecula, CA

Okay, found a few minutes to tell my story.

NAME: scotty69 / Scott 

STORY: I am in Mesa, AZ, yes it's freezing and raining right now and below 60.  Brrrr.  I have been athletic all of my life, but am a bit OCD, "All or Nothing".  About 6 years ago I was in the best shape of my life while my wife was having a tough pregnancy.  Little by little started putting weight on (really just eating out, eating poorly and I love "real" beer).  I saw a video of me in May, and flipped out.  I couldn't believe I had gotten that big: 244 lbs when I got on the scale, and I am 5'11".  I started heading to the gym, lost about 20 lbs, but was just bored.  Then, someone mentioned triathlon.  I laughed because the only triathlon I knew was Ironman.  Started researching, found BT, and read everything I could.  I trained hard for 2 months and did my first sprint in Nov.  I did better than I thought in the swim (lots of years surfing I think helped), did fair on the bike, but I hate to run.  I was afraid of blowing up, and took it easy.  Hindsight, I should have pushed harder.  I am HOOKED.  I wake up early thinking about that day's training now.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Lisa for 11 wonderful years.  Daughter 8, and son 5.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Back to my all or nothing…I signed up for the bronze membership, and am working on 16 week balanced Olympic plan.  The race I want to do next is in March, and I figured I would see how I progress with this plan as to whether I do the Sprint, or step up and do an Olympic.  I am 3 weeks in and doing pretty well at building a base.
THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Just started the journey, but placed 42/124 in my first Sprint. 
2009 RACES:  I would like to do a couple Sprints and be competitive, and at least one Olympic.
WEIGHTLOSS:  As stated, I started at 244.  I was 207 this morning.  At my best I was 185.  I’d love to be down to that 185-190 range again.
2008-12-18 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'd like to join too if it's not too late..

story:  I'm live in NYC, so it's semi tough to train.  Mainly train at my gym and central park.  I did my first sprint tri in Montauk.  I was just happy to finished since I only trained for 7 weeks and now i'm a big fan of the sport.  My goal this year is to do 2 more sprints in the spring and early summer and maybe an olympic distance at the end of summer (depends on training etc..).   My biggest weakness right now is swimming but I just hired a coach to work on my form so hopefully I improve.

family status: Married 4.5yrs and have a 18 month old boy.

current training: due to location I mainly do my training inside and try to get to central park as much as possible.

this year's races: My goal is to do 2 sprints in the spring and early summer and maybe an olympic distance at the end of summer and the montauk sprint again so i can compare my improvement.

2009 races: 1) Harriman sprint, 2) ? 3)? (olympic) 4) montauk sprint 

weightloss: i'm a little over 6 ft and around 200lbs.  i wouldn't mind being in the 185-190lbs range.  I'm like you, I love junk food, i don't have a favorite..  i like it all.

2008-12-18 4:16 PM

User image

Master

May I join???

Name: crews / Carla

About me: Married 6 years and we have 4 yr old

How I got started: My new years resolution last year was to lose a little weight and complete a sprint tri.  I lost about 20 lbs (at one point) and completed 3 sprints.  I was totally hooked after the first one!

Goals: I'd like to lose 34 more pounds (I've put about 6 on in the last 2 months), complete a 1/2 mary in March and do at least 2 more sprints this year.

2008-12-18 4:22 PM
in reply to: #1861822

User image

Expert
Missouri
gadgetlaw - 2008-12-18 3:03 PM
soccermom15 - 2008-12-18 2:14 PM <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 teenagers (1 boy, 1 girl), 2-1/2 cats (the ½ is because she’s not technically ours – we’re fostering her for the Humane Society until she finds a permanent home).

Janet

That is so funny that you say that you have 1/2 a cat. One of my friends always says that she has 3/4 of a cat - but that is because she wasn't born with front paws (the cat, not my friend) - just stubs. Sometimes we tell people that she doesn't have front paws because she was scratching the couch too much.....

I am jealous that you have done a half mary - that is one of my goals for next year. How did it go? You'll love the tris!!

Karen

I think the "1/2" cat will eventually become ours.  She's really sweet but a little older and very shy around new people so don't know if she'll ever get adopted.  Of course, that will make our daughter happy - she's a cat lover (animal lover really - wants to be a vet) and would love to adopt all the cats at the Humane Society!

The half mary I did was tough.  I wasn't really as prepared as I should have been and the course was hilly.  I'm a slow runner so I expected to finish pretty far back but was still kind of disappointed with my time.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of myself for finishing it, just wish the experience had been a little better. 

I'm really looking forward to doing tris.  I've enjoyed the times I've volunteered at the one in our town and see all these "normal" people doing it.  I figured if they can do it, so can I!

2008-12-18 5:38 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
If there's still space, can I be in your group? Will post more at my break. Thanks!
2008-12-18 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia

I would like to join your group if there is space available.

Name: Nick

Family Status:  Married for 10 year, with 2 daughters. 

Current Training: Just trying to do what I can, 1 to 2 swims a week, run 3 times a week and try to get 2 rides a week (spin bike for the winter).

2008 Races: Did my first sprint in last year and decided that I liked it and did 2 more sprints.  I also did a bunch of 5K and 10K races, usually winning or placing in my age group.

2009 Goals: Not sure what races yet, but would like to move up to Olympic distance.  I am currently signed up for the Cherry Blossom 10 mile run and will likely do the Shamrock 8K.  Not sure what triathlons to sign up for, but with the high cost of races, will likely only do local races to DC. 

My main weakness that I'd like to improve is swimming.  I think if my swim was half way decent, I could have possibly placed in my age group. 

Weightloss: not an issue

-Nick

2008-12-18 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia

I would like to join your group if there is space available.

Name: Nick

Family Status:  Married for 10 year, with 2 daughters. 

Current Training: Just trying to do what I can, 1 to 2 swims a week, run 3 times a week and try to get 2 rides a week (spin bike for the winter).

2008 Races: Did my first sprint in last year and decided that I liked it and did 2 more sprints.  I also did a bunch of 5K and 10K races, usually winning or placing in my age group.

2009 Goals: Not sure what races yet, but would like to move up to Olympic distance.  I am currently signed up for the Cherry Blossom 10 mile run and will likely do the Shamrock 8K.  Not sure what triathlons to sign up for, but with the high cost of races, will likely only do local races to DC. 

My main weakness that I'd like to improve is swimming.  I think if my swim was half way decent, I could have possibly placed in my age group. 

Weightloss: not an issue

-Nick

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73