in reply to: #2366212

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Everyone's a Winner
wavedog - 2009-08-24 9:23 AM

Gaarryy - 2009-08-24 8:52 AM
QUOTE]

actually I dont' care if I'm a winner... I do it to meet the ladies...

X2, I do it for the chicks.

exactly my friend... lets get this thread back to the important stuff.. the Ladies....

2009-08-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2365928

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

I'm thrilled that the participation is increasing in 13.1 and 26.2 "races".  I see a lot more people running around here now that we have the San Antonio Rock'n Roll marathon and half marathon (25,000 people combined).  It's a good thing that more people are getting into shape.

I have to say, however, that I was very surprised by how will I placed relative to others last year in my first 13.1.  I consider myself a mediocre runner, but was top 3% overall and top 7% in my AG.  I'm a much better triathlete than a runner, but I seldom place that high in the run portion of a triathlon. 

I like that there are a lot of people out there running just to finish.  I just wish that there were more out there who trained year round for years on end with the goal of finishing fast.

Brian

2009-08-24 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
I love to see the extra participation, especially from those who are starting out.

Perhaps the sport should form 2 groups?  Those who are competing, and those who just want to finish.  This seems to work with cycling.  You want to compete, you do the road races and the crits.  You want to finish, you ride the rally.

I'm not saying I agree necessarily with this, but just thinking aloud....
2009-08-24 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2366190

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

econway - 2009-08-24 9:17 AM I like the following quote. This kind of sums up why after nearly 7 years I've yet to do a full IM, when I actually decide to do one I want to train for it so I can race it, not just finish it. With my current family and life situation I know I could train to 'just finish', but I don't have the time right now to train to finish fast.
"I also come across people who have never done a triathlon at any distance and are contemplating doing an Ironman as their first race. There’s no concern for how fast they might go. It’s just get to the finish line so they can hear those magic words, “You’re now an Ironman.” Then they can get a tattoo on the ankle, I guess."[/quote>] - J.F. at http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/08/everyones-winner.html[/QUOTE]  Just playing devils advocate here, but is just waiting to race it worse than just doing it to finish?  For me, I was a pretty solid athlete getting in a bit over my head for my first IM and my goal was 'just to finish' as even in training I had never done an endurance event (including training) over 7 hours and was hoping to be out there 12 hours.  So, just how and when do you know you are ready to 'race' that event with no prior experience?  When does one take that jump?  I think that is as personal as questioning ones goals for the event in itself.

2009-08-24 11:01 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
A lot of the problem with the "Everyone is a winner" concept is that it is a blanket statement, and a blanket statement is rarely true.

We do something similar with our martial arts tournaments, in that everyone that shows up under a certain age (13), will receive a trophy. For our Tiny Tigers (3-6, 7 years old), they get awards for best kicks, loudest yells, most powerful punch, etc. They haven't developed the conceptual thinking necessary to equate the trophy with the performance, they just know they got something, and it reinforces the positive aspect of a tournament. "To compete is to win" is a cornerstone of the philosophy. (And the forum group that I participate in regularly gets in 7-10 page arguments about the dichotomy between that and promoting state/national competitions. :D)

In the middle groups, 7ish through 12, everyone will get one trophy, with a lot of them being "ties" for fourth place. The winners of the competition still get 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Still reinforcing the participation, but showing that the better effort gets the bigger reward. Once they are in their teens, it's place or no hardware.

And, for a lot of people in sports like triathlon, running, etc. it IS a big deal for them. Take the entire MOP and BOP section of any race, and I guarantee that there are some in there that this is the biggest athletic endeavor that they have ever attempted. That finishers medal may mean the entire world to them. Their family may look at it and think they are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

You apply your own value perceptions to everything. I generally finish in the top 10-15% of the races I do, and have outside chances at a podium. I've been to Worlds in a couple sports, won state/national titles, etc., so the finishers medals are just kind of "neat". I much prefer a T-shirt (or like the Rattlenake tri that gave out REALLY cool bags this year!), but the only trophies and medals that I keep are from major competitions. I train a person that is in their first season, and they have all their race #'s posted on a motivation board at their house. To me, a race # is just another in a long series of them, but to him, each of those race #'s is a very significant achievement.

He's nowhere near FOP, and really not even MOP, but he's improved every race, and he's busting his a$$ to get better. Does he podium? No. Does he win his AG? Nowhere near. But, he is a winner.

It's all in the perception, and how you apply it.

John
2009-08-24 11:27 AM

Regular
The " everyone is a winner " was more than likely born out of the fact that the people participating in these events are paying to do so.  Most people that participate in a particular event are somehow connected to  that event, charity, research etc.  I would venture to say less than half of the people competing will ever do another one.  So, of course the average times and such are going to seem like they are lower and slower.  If every triathlon only consisted of pros then the events would keep getting faster and more competitive. 
Sometimes I think you hardcore guys forget what the main point of some of these triathlons are.  Remember, most of them are to raise money for good causes.  I train and compete in as many as I want to and if it fits into my schedule. 
This is why I think Austin has a good one, they have the open division and the AG division to seperate the pros from the average joe's.  There is nothing wrong with that, I look at it like this, some of the top AG'ers, given the chance to train as much as the pros could be right there with them.  There are too many factors involved when it comes to competing in these things.  My wife and I do it mostly because we want I children to grow up knowing that exercise and competing no matter the outcome is important. We want to show them that a person should have a healthy lifestyle. But, to say someone doesn't belong in these events because they are slower than some of us is wrong, especially since they laid down their hard earned money as well. 

2009-08-24 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
I think it's awesome that people feel comfortable/empowered to try something that might be a big deal for them, or may be a once-in-a-lifetime thing. And truth be told, they're revenue for the event, so why not let those folks be there? They get to enjoy the event in whatever way they want, and the competitors can do it the way they want.

My only issue is still with handing out medals to everyone--Seriously, finishing mid-pack is cool and all, but I think that awarding medals is ridiculous.
2009-08-24 11:37 AM

Regular
I agree with you on the whole handing out medals to everyone.  When I did my first tri and of course did not win a spot, my girls asked me if I had one.  I gladly told them no and that daddy got his butt kicked.  I went on to explain to them that you can't and will not win everytime, they understood and still said that I did good and they were proud of me. ( Which is worth 10,000 first place finishes.)  I think the point is that losing sometimes is a good thing and that if you compete in events then you should experience it, builds character and to me keeps me training and going.
Makes the wins all that much sweeter.
Just my thoughts.
2009-08-24 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Marvarnett - 2009-08-24 7:21 AM

Came across this blog entry from Joe Friel

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/08/everyones-winner.html

An interesting quotes: "Overall, the times for age groupers have gotten slower, it seems.  The slower age group times reflect a changed attitude among those who run marathons.  The sport for most age groupers has become a social activity rather than a performance challenge.  Finishing times are not an issue any more; finishing is the whole thing.  "Everyone is a winner," permeates the sport."

While it's somewhat true... at least people are getting off the sofa and doing something... other than becoming obese.

Sure, a lot of us do it for fun... and just to finish... so what? At least we are doing it and not sitting at home. The more we discourage people from getting involved in sports, the worse off we become as a nation of obese people.

2009-08-24 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2366459

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
famelec - 2009-08-24 10:30 AM

I'm thrilled that the participation is increasing in 13.1 and 26.2 "races".  I see a lot more people running around here now that we have the San Antonio Rock'n Roll marathon and half marathon (25,000 people combined).  It's a good thing that more people are getting into shape.

I have to say, however, that I was very surprised by how will I placed relative to others last year in my first 13.1.  I consider myself a mediocre runner, but was top 3% overall and top 7% in my AG.  I'm a much better triathlete than a runner, but I seldom place that high in the run portion of a triathlon. 

I like that there are a lot of people out there running just to finish.  I just wish that there were more out there who trained year round for years on end with the goal of finishing fast.

Brian

As a new triathlete, I entered this sport with no background in any of the 3 events.  I went from a couch potato to my first half-marathon in 10 months. 

I intend to train year round for years and get faster every year, but I don't think that means I shouldn't be able to compete in "races" until I'm finishing faster.

While I don't agree with "everyone is a winner", I don't think the non-winners should be discouraged from competing, whether they are FOP, MOP or DFL.  Each person has their own race they are competing in, within themselves.

2009-08-24 11:49 AM

User image

Are we really gonna spend another week debating the "just finish" issue?

I mean really, all those people getting off the couch and getting fit.  What the hell are they thinking??  They are SO in my way at the local 5K/10K/half mary/IM.  How dare they..... 

ETA - The title is misleading, to me.  I am against the "everyone's a winner" concept in school and sports, however, it's a non sequitur here.  Only the top 3 or whatever folks get on the podium.  The rest collect our gear and go home (even if it is with a "finisher's medal" in tow). 

As to the statement by someone that slower people shouldn't "expect the same treatment" as faster people, that's absolutely wrong (other than getting on teh podium).  I pay the same money, I expect the same treatment - i.e. course support - as the 100s of people in front of me as well as the 100s behind me.

2009-08-24 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2366727

User image

Pro
Burbs

I think that a lot of people start with "I want to do a marathon to say I've done one" and then keep going.  That's what I did... ran my first marathon in 4:45, thought "hey, I could go faster" and now run a 3:50 marathon.

And can we put this to bed already ?

If you want to race to win, great.
If you want to race to finish, great.
If you want to race to meet girls, great.
If you want to race for the post race cookies, great.

If you've paid and you aren't breaking the rules, you belong out there - IMHO, of course.

2009-08-24 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
The problem here is everyone's goals are different and relative to their own experience. One persons reason is no more less valid then someone who is more competitive. I'm more on the side of being out there is the important part and we all have a right.

Some assume "Just to finish" means people are out there strolling around so they can say they did it, when just finishing for some of us is a huge goal we have worked sometimes years to complete. Not all of us rolled out of bed and said "well lets see if I can get through it"

I can chime in here as to why longer endurance events (for some of us slow people) rather then aiming to be the speed devil in short races...

Some of us enjoy longer training. Most of why I do the Triathlon thing is about the training. When I decided to do Tris last year for the first time I did do a sprint first, but my training plan was actually aimed at An Oly race. That race was only 1 month later then the Sprint that I signed up for as a "practice" Tri. I was already working out close to 2 hours a day at this point... training for a sprint made no sense to me I'd have to cut back my exercise time way back and part of the reason I decided to do tris is the motivation to keep up with my exercise program. I end up pushing myself to train harder then I might just walking around my neighborhood for exercise. So yeah just finishing my first few races was good enough. This doesn't mean I didn't try my hardest.

As it is training for my Oly a 2nd time in my 2nd year I already have to supplement my training with walking activity... So My next goal will be more of the endurance type. It's about the training to me first and I need to be challenged. I need the fear of finishing put into me. I need the longer workouts and training plans. I need the "next" goal to motivate me.

I don't get why people are unhappy about times being slower because there is a bigger cross section of normal people doing races. Again being slow doesn't mean someone isn't training their little hearts out. Having it be more mainstream means there are so many more races to choose from, more equipment to choose from, more people to train from, more clubs, more coaches.... etc.

Being active I think is what makes winners. Not necessarily the fact we can finish a race.

2009-08-24 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2366748

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
trishie - 2009-08-24 12:54 PM

I think that a lot of people start with "I want to do a marathon to say I've done one" and then keep going.  That's what I did... ran my first marathon in 4:45, thought "hey, I could go faster" and now run a 3:50 marathon.

And can we put this to bed already ?

If you want to race to win, great.
If you want to race to finish, great.
If you want to race to meet girls, great.
If you want to race for the post race cookies, great.

If you've paid and you aren't breaking the rules, you belong out there - IMHO, of course.

Yup, sums it up quite nicely. As Daremo also said, there are a lot of "just finish" types--myself included--who get hooked and work hard to do better next time. Just because I'm not in the running for a podium spot and I'm actually having fun doesn't mean I'm not working hard to beat last year's time!
2009-08-24 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

How slow to finish and still be called a "winner" is really up to the race director.   As long as the RD is willing to have volunteers manning the aid stations and finish line, pay for road closure support, and order 45,000 finisher medals, keep the marathon open for 7 or even 8 hours and take everyone's registration fee.  If the RD doesn't want to hassle with that many volunteers and the the extra expenses, install a lower time cutoff and voila!  They could insist on a 4 hour time limit and cater to a specific subset of the population that's willing to pay for the event. 

When I was coaching youth soccer, my first meeting with the families went something like this:

"Hi, My name is Mike, and I'm volunteering to coach your child for this soccer season.  My top 3 goals as a coach are for the kids to:
1)  Have fun
2)  Get some exercise
3)  Learn some soccer skills
There will be a time and place for wins and losses and if that's your goal, please find a different team, or, YOU can take over coaching these kids who have never tried soccer before.  If they're having fun, they're more likely to continue in this sport where more experienced coaches can better develop their talents.  Please do your part and maintain a positive attitude on the sidelines." 

If you want to participate, find a program that caters to that need.  If you want to compete, find THAT program.  Some summer softball leagues are ultra-competitive, others are an excuse to drink beer on a warm summer evening.  Just recognize which you want and get into the appropriate league. 

2009-08-24 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
I find it interesting that some people have stated about the "fasties" saying the slower people are in their way.  No where in the blog entry does it even mention that. 

The only time I hate having tons of people on course is when I am in the last wave.  And it's just because of traffic ahead of me.  Not the people in front of me (if that makes any sense).

My takeaway from the blog entry was that 'in the past' more people would treasure going fast (relative) to finishing.  Even if we took every BOP and MOP person out of a race and held it again...now you just have a new set of BOP and MOP.  It's a never ending cycle until the top 3 are BOP, MOP, Winner.

Not to put words in Friel's mouth, but I took his entry to say, "More people use to toe the line with the intention of racing instead of finishing."  It's not wether you show up to break 2:10 in the Olympic distance or 3:00, but you toe the line with the intention of RACING.

And IMHO, the people that say, "I am never going to win XYZ or be on the podium" are just resolving themselves to that fate.  Wether you're out there to be healthy, show off that new $15,000 bike, or try to win overall believe that you can accomplish what you put your mind to.  Don't sell yourself short and say, "I won't ever..."

If I did that after my first triathlon, I'd still be walking the second 200 of the 400 meter swim.  Yes, my first tri I swam out and walked back.  I'm glad it was chest deep water in that lake.

2009-08-24 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
I'm a winner!

2009-08-24 12:49 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

'Casue eveyone's a winner...and everyone's a loser...and the best that you can hope for  is to die in your sleep!  - with apologies to Kenny Rogers

When my son was about 8 he played basketball and they had rule that every player had to play at least one full quarter.  This was a good rule for 8 yo's.  When he got to HS he found that his lack of athletic ability earned him the right to sit on the bench.....teh entire game...so he quit and now focuses on the things he is gifted at - academics.

If people want to think of themselves as winners because the completed a triathlon, good for them!  If know people who won't even race if they think they don't have a chance to take home some hardware.  That's ok too.  Not for me...but for them.

~Mike

2009-08-24 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2366917

User image

Marvarnett - 2009-08-24 10:45 AM I find it interesting that some people have stated about the "fasties" saying the slower people are in their way.  No where in the blog entry does it even mention that. 

we've moved beyond the blog, from earlier

I agree that this is annoying. The thing that bugs me the most is how someone not "competing" (rather, participating) can get in the way of the competitors.  I am happy for anyone who wants to be involved, and is new to the sport, etc., and I am certainly glad for everyone who gets off the couch and stretches themselves.  However, please don't get in my way
2009-08-24 12:58 PM

Marvarnett - 2009-08-24 1:45 PMAnd IMHO, the people that say, "I am never going to win XYZ or be on the podium" are just resolving themselves to that fate.  Wether you're out there to be healthy, show off that new $15,000 bike, or try to win overall believe that you can accomplish what you put your mind to.  Don't sell yourself short and say, "I won't ever..."

Maybe so, but it may also be those people being realistic. For some people, this is just a hobby. Could they improve enough to podium if they had 40+ hours a week to train, no families, no job, no other hobbies or priorities? Maybe. But maybe they don't want to give up or compromise on those things. And then there's the physical aspect. Some people, for whatever reason, may not physically be capable of going that fast. Some people might not be able to handle the intensity of the running training necessary to run a 30 minute 10K (after biking 25 miles), because their knees would give out long before that, and perhaps they'd rather run 9:00 miles instead of not being able to run at all. Or perhaps many of us weren't elite athletes when we were teenagers and trying to catch up on decades of intense training and conditioning can very hard to do without injury - esp. when you factor in "life" obligations. Your body ages. It breaks down, and there's only so much you can do to stop it. Some people are genetically gifted enough to jump into this stuff at the age of 30 and be amazing. Some people aren't. And I don't think that there is anything wrong with either of these scenarios.

2009-08-24 1:12 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

My takeaway from the blog entry was that 'in the past' more people would treasure going fast (relative) to finishing. 
I think the analysis is wrong though as in the past, the people that were doing these events were those perhaps more athletically adventurous.  The concept of a tri or mary was mind blowing to folks.  Now more in the mainstream, you have a wider market segment and folks who probably wouldnt have tried it in the past are taking a stab at it.  Again, that does little but change the average finishing time because there are more who may not have attempted these races in the past giving them a go.  At the pointy end of the spectrum, well, the fast folks would probably have been taking a stab at these events anyway.  My comments on the fasties doesnt apply to all of em, just opines that some of them are concerned with stealing some thunder by completing a distance that once brought awe from people.  Dont get me wrong, marys and HIMs and up are big accomplishments, but some folks are like that where they cant stand others diluting their awesomeness.  So celebrate your awesomeness by being faster or something and get over it is all I am saying (in general terms, not anyone specifically)

2009-08-24 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Marvarnett - 2009-08-24 1:45 PM

Not to put words in Friel's mouth, but I took his entry to say, "More people use to toe the line with the intention of racing instead of finishing."  It's not wether you show up to break 2:10 in the Olympic distance or 3:00, but you toe the line with the intention of RACING.

That is how I read it too.  It isn't about winning.  It is about RACING.  I think Friel missed an opportunity to capitalize on this notion by inserting the word WINNING. 

It irks me to no end to see people do RACES together (few circumstances withstanding).  The point of any RACE is to go all out and give it YOUR all.  Your all might be a 12 hour IM.  It might be 16:59.  If you can cross the finish line and agree that you gave it 100%, then your raced it.  Otherwise, you sandbagged, survived, just finished.  It is called a RACE for a reason

I do think Ironman and marathons have a been diluted by people who 'just want to finish.'  That should always be a primary goal, but the real goal should be 'to finish as quickly as I can.'  Maybe you are fine with 'just finished.'  Good for you.  Collect your medal, trophy or what not and move along.  That is the population that I think Friel is talking about and in his opinion, it isn't a positive aspect of competition. 

2009-08-24 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2366198

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
BikerGrrrl - 2009-08-24 7:19 AM

I agree that this is annoying. The thing that bugs me the most is how someone not "competing" (rather, participating) can get in the way of the competitors.  I am happy for anyone who wants to be involved, and is new to the sport, etc., and I am certainly glad for everyone who gets off the couch and stretches themselves.  However, please don't get in my way.  I have a love/hate relationship with newbie events now.  I don't mind so much if you are slow and aren't taking this as seriously as I am, but please at least learn the rules and be respectful of us out there trying to improve our times or win. 

I missed this. Really? A little full of ourselves, aren't we? I do a lot of things where there are first timers/n00bs, and the only time I've had a problem was once in the RnR Arizona 1/2.

Maybe we should just herd everyone that we don't think has a chance to win into their own little event, and not hand out anything to them because after all, they aren't really "competing", and we shouldn't let them get in the way.

John
2009-08-24 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2367000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
ADollar79 - 2009-08-24 2:13 PM
That is how I read it too.  It isn't about winning.  It is about RACING.  I think Friel missed an opportunity to capitalize on this notion by inserting the word WINNING...The point of any RACE is to go all out and give it YOUR all.  Your all might be a 12 hour IM.  It might be 16:59...the real goal should be 'to finish as quickly as I can.' 

Edited down a bit from the original, but x2
2009-08-24 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
My 2 cents. 

1. I beleive that Joe is brilliant in performance coaching but lacks some marketing mentality (though he does have a highly successful book which is on my nightstand).  Also, sometimes things can be misunderstood.  If folks that excelled in this sport really wanted to boost it they would embrace the "recreational triathlete" regardless of times, hence , marketing and growth.

2. I really don't care what folks think.  I do it for me, times may be bad, good, whatever but did I have fun and make some darn good friends doing it, yes.  Is it a situation in which I can be a positive role model for my kids, yes.

3. If I had started doing this some years ago I would kick is a^^ all day long and be waiting for him at the finish line.  No disrespect.  I had been busy with life and other things till now but since I undertook this sport I think I will excel at it as I progress.  See you at the finish line with a smile regardless of time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Everyone's a Winner Rss Feed  

of 9