of 9

2009-08-24 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Everyone's a Winner
Came across this blog entry from Joe Friel

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/08/everyones-winner.html

An interesting quotes: "Overall, the times for age groupers have gotten slower, it seems.  The slower age group times reflect a changed attitude among those who run marathons.  The sport for most age groupers has become a social activity rather than a performance challenge.  Finishing times are not an issue any more; finishing is the whole thing.  "Everyone is a winner," permeates the sport."

2009-08-24 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2365928

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Everyone's a Winner
Marvarnett - 2009-08-24 7:21 AM Came across this blog entry from Joe Friel

An interesting quotes: "Overall, the times for age groupers have gotten slower, it seems.  The slower age group times reflect a changed attitude among those who run marathons.  The sport for most age groupers has become a social activity rather than a performance challenge.  Finishing times are not an issue any more; finishing is the whole thing.  "Everyone is a winner," permeates the sport."

actually I dont' care if I'm a winner... I do it to meet the ladies...
2009-08-24 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
I don't agree with this- that it's more of a social activity than a performance challenge. I do agree that more people are participating. Perhaps people who in the past wouldn't have. I think that is driving the times downward. But I would think that even those people are competiting against themselves and want  to do as well as they can. They train. They want to be faster this year than last- but they realize they aren't going to win.

If only the 5 people who had a chance of winning showed up to race then what would you have?
2009-08-24 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Another interesting quote from the same blog entry:

"Our fascination with long-distance events concerns me. I don’t think it’s good for the future of any endurance sport when going slowly for a long time just so one can cross the finish line is held in higher regard than going very fast for a short distance"

I definately agree with that statement.
2009-08-24 9:13 AM

Can I just go on record as saying I hate the "everyone is a winner" approach.  I understand with young kids and all, but- no, not everyone is a winner.  I think it is softening sports.  I don't quite know how to express it, but I feel like at some point in little Timmy's life, he has to be told, Timmy, you are not the best, and Jimmy is.  So, Jimmy will play, and you need to practice a little more.  

I had a parent approach me one time because her kid did not play in a soccer game.  She went up one side of me and down the other.  She needs to belong, we pay taxes to this town, she is better than so and so, Im calling the chairman of the schoolboard to have you fired today... what Mom did not ask was why.... little Jane spent the whole practice the day before talking with the boys team that was warming up for a game...  the next day, when mom had cooled off, I explained this to her, and asked at what point does a mom let her kids make their own decisions and let them deal with the consequences (this kid was a sophomore in high school).  She explained to me that NEVER does that happen.  In fact, just yestrday she had called the college her oldest daughter was at because she did not get the dorm room she wanted....What is next, will she call Stanley Sprokets and complain that her kid was not hired and someone else was?  OK, so this mom was clearly not the norm... but, my point is, if her kid was not a winner, no matter what, there was something wrong- that is not right.   

I am proud of folks who enter a triathlon, or any race that matter.  If your goal is to finish, that is fair enough.  But you have to know, that there are poeple who's goal is to kick a$$.  A person should NOT expect to get the same treatment that the person who out works you, out trains you, or whatever. 
2009-08-24 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
MD
I like the following quote. This kind of sums up why after nearly 7 years I've yet to do a full IM, when I actually decide to do one I want to train for it so I can race it, not just finish it. With my current family and life situation I know I could train to 'just finish', but I don't have the time right now to train to finish fast.

"I also come across people who have never done a triathlon at any distance and are contemplating doing an Ironman as their first race. There’s no concern for how fast they might go. It’s just get to the finish line so they can hear those magic words, “You’re now an Ironman.” Then they can get a tattoo on the ankle, I guess."[/quote>]
- J.F. at http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/08/everyones-winner.html

Edited by econway 2009-08-24 9:37 AM

2009-08-24 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2366173

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Actually that does happen, from what I hear.  I read an article somewhere... can't remember where, about parents calling colleges and places of employment.  There are some schools that won't allow parents to call anymore.  

I agree that this is annoying. The thing that bugs me the most is how someone not "competing" (rather, participating) can get in the way of the competitors.  I am happy for anyone who wants to be involved, and is new to the sport, etc., and I am certainly glad for everyone who gets off the couch and stretches themselves.  However, please don't get in my way.  I have a love/hate relationship with newbie events now.  I don't mind so much if you are slow and aren't taking this as seriously as I am, but please at least learn the rules and be respectful of us out there trying to improve our times or win. 

chandy14ski - 2009-08-24 9:13 AM

....What is next, will she call Stanley Sprokets and complain that her kid was not hired and someone else was?  OK, so this mom was clearly not the norm... but, my point is, if her kid was not a winner, no matter what, there was something wrong- that is not right.   

2009-08-24 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2366104

User image

Elite
Denver

Gaarryy - 2009-08-24 8:52 AM
Marvarnett - 2009-08-24 7:21 AM Came across this blog entry from Joe Friel

actually I dont' care if I'm a winner... I do it to meet the ladies...

X2, I do it for the chicks.

2009-08-24 9:24 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
As is always mentioned when the subject of doling out trophies/awards to all kids on a team ...... they KNOW if they won or lost.  It is usually the first thing they ask - "What was the score?"  Giving out medals/trophies for participation is okay, but there still needs to be a deliniation of who wins.  It helps to reinforce the competitive process which is critical in life to get ahead and succeed.

The current crop of executives and such in the world grew up winning or getting their azz kicked and they knew it.

On the other hand, if it increases the participation levels in endurance sports and gets more people out and active, then that is a really good thing.  The people out there to "finish" have no real affect on the people that are in the "front" racing for place as they are going to be ahead of the "finish" group.  And unless it is a multi-loop course then it is not an issue.

Also, that "finish" group often grown into the competitive group.  Not the one-and-doners of course.  But the people who learn to enjoy the sport and want to improve their times every time out and train as such.  The "finish" people quite often turn into the podium finishers a few years down the road.  Which is a great thing!

So in other words, there are positives and negatives to the issue, just as with any others.
2009-08-24 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2366124

User image

Veteran
SuzanneS - 2009-08-24 6:58 AM I don't agree with this- that it's more of a social activity than a performance challenge. I do agree that more people are participating. Perhaps people who in the past wouldn't have. I think that is driving the times downward. But I would think that even those people are competiting against themselves and want  to do as well as they can. They train. They want to be faster this year than last- but they realize they aren't going to win.

If only the 5 people who had a chance of winning showed up to race then what would you have?

I think you are right on target...more people participating is bringing the times down. That was my first thought. I know my first tri I had no idea what to expect from myself and I was BOP, but my second tri just over a week ago I definitely wanted to do a lot better. Even though I'm still BOP I am working on how I can get better for next month's tri. Even though I didn't come into this as a competitive athlete, that doesn't mean I just want to finish and I don't care if I suck. I will never win but I never want to be DFL either. If it happens, it happens, but I'm not going to say oh well, at least I finished. I'm going to be really disappointed.

I remember the first time I did a friggin' 5K I walked much of it and even then people were saying, well at least you finished! I just laughed...how am I not going to finish a 5k? I have to find my way back to my car one way or the other. Really...I'm not going to just stop walking and hitch a ride for the next 1,000 feet. LOL.
2009-08-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2366143

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
rventuri - 2009-08-24 9:05 AM Another interesting quote from the same blog entry: "Our fascination with long-distance events concerns me. I don’t think it’s good for the future of any endurance sport when going slowly for a long time just so one can cross the finish line is held in higher regard than going very fast for a short distance" I definately agree with that statement.

I definitely DISagree.
What is so bad about the recreational endurance athlete? Just because that person is not striving to win the event - or "going very fast" should not exclude them from feeling welcome.

Heck even if they are not even striving to get better year after year... say they just do it to have fun and keep their fitness level up. Why is that bad for the future of endurance sports? I don't get this argument, and frankly I can see how it would be offensive to a newbie.

2009-08-24 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I agree with Gary that it's more of a social thing than a performance thing....but so what.  Why do we have to judge people's motives for doing triathlons? 

What is wrong with 'everyone is a winner' thinking?  If you show up and participate in the event, you are a winner in my book.  The only people who 'lost' are those that stayed in bed and missed the opportunity to get out and have some fun swimming, biking and running.

25,000 people run a marathon and technically only one person won the race.  Period.  But we can't accept that in our society.  So the first thing we do is say we have to have a male winner and a female winner.  And then we say, well that's not fair becuase you have guys are 24 years old and people that are 75 years old....so let's aribitarily say every 5 years puts someone is different bucket and then we can have multiple 'winners'.  But wait, in triathlons, some people are bigger than other people....so we should have a clyde/athena divison so we can have even more winners.  And let's seperate the pros from the non-pros becuase that's not 'fair' that the pros get paid money if they win.

The other end of this focus on 'who won' is to say that participation = winning.  I'm and all-or-nothing kind of guy and so either we have 1 winner (the first guy to cross the line) or we say everyone is a weinner.  I vote for the latter.  :-)

~Mike

2009-08-24 9:32 AM

Do you think it is any small coincidence that the country's top performers KNEW when they won and when they had their butts handed to them? 

I agree that the concept has some valid points, but I thnk the best point made is that the person who gets a participation ribbon KNOWS that is is a trinket for participating, and not for performing.  I think sompetition loses a lot when that distinction is not made... I still have all of my trophies from when I was a kid, but I haven't got a single "participation certificate".  I knew they were crap back then... 

That said, I did not win a darn thing in my first triathlon, and I did not get a certificate... but I did save my swim cap and number as a reminder that "I can do it".  

I also believe in the law of large numbers... the more people that enter as "completers" now the more "competators" there will be in the future. 

Daremo... so wise....

2009-08-24 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2366190

User image

Champion
Alabama

econway - 2009-08-24 9:17 AM I like the following quote. This kind of sums up why after nearly 7 years I've yet to do a full IM, when I actually decide to do one I want to train for it so I can race it, not just finish it. With my current family and life situation I know I could train to 'just finish', but I don't have the time right now to train to finish fast. "I also come across people who have never done a triathlon at any distance and are contemplating doing an Ironman as their first race. There’s no concern for how fast they might go. It’s just get to the finish line so they can hear those magic words, “You’re now an Ironman.” Then they can get a tattoo on the ankle, I guess." - J.F. at http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/08/everyones-winner.html[/QUOTE]

You see the same thing in Marahons.  I know tons of 'non-runners' who sign up to run Disney Marathon or the Chicago.  I 'spect there are those that climb Mt Everest who don't have a lifetime of climbing experience.

~Mike

2009-08-24 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I have an issue with the lack of "win/lose" in sport especially for kids - although I will qualify that... I think it's wonderful that kids are out and participating - but in some aspects I think it's really important for them to learn to lose as well as learn to participate.  However, I think the "medal" for finishing events is dumb.  So I ran a 10k - so I get a medal for doing that?  I didn't place - so I shouldn't get anything at all.  I would far rather have a t-shirt that says "Finisher" for my HIM than the medal. 

For my x-country coaching - we all work at improving our times.  Sure - we have some kids that will place, but most won't.  That's the reality.  I keep track of all the times for all the races (which are all the same distance) so that we can see improvement with each event.  If there isn't - then I can talk to those kids about how we can work on improving ourselves.  Considering that my age group is between 6 years and 11 years - I think it's more important that they are coming out, being active and competing with themselves. 

For myself - I also compete against my own times.  Sure - every now and again I have a great race and place in my AG - but in reality - that isn't why I'm competing because the likelyhood of me placing at every event just isn't that great.  I love to be out there racing, I love the "electricity" at events.  I know that I could do better if I worked harder - but I enjoy what I do - and my training and I think that there has to be a balance of my life and my training.

I also think that it's important that people are out doing something - and if this is what is fun for them and they don't care where they finish just that they cross then line - then that is fine too.  I don't understand judging people for not being as type-A as some of us are.
2009-08-24 9:38 AM

What is wrong with 'everyone is a winner' thinking?  If you show up and participate in the event, you are a winner in my book.  The only people who 'lost' are those that stayed in bed and missed the opportunity to get out and have some fun swimming, biking and running.

You may be a winner, but not THE winner.  You should NOT be recognized as the winner.  You SHOULD be praised for your efforts, and your hard work and determination.  

I agree that everyone should be praised, but not everyone is a winner.  

Maybe though... everyone IS a winner afterall... 

–noun
1.a person or thing that wins; victor.
2.winner take all, a situation or outcome whereby the winner receives all the prizes or rewards.

verb (used without object)

1.to finish first in a race, contest, or the like.
2.to succeed by striving or effort: He applied for a scholarship and won.
3.to gain the victory; overcome an adversary: The home team won.

2009-08-24 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2366239

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
lisac957 - 2009-08-24 10:30 AM  What is so bad about the recreational endurance athlete? Just because that person is not striving to win the event - or "going very fast" should not exclude them from feeling welcome.

Heck even if they are not even striving to get better year after year... say they just do it to have fun and keep their fitness level up. Why is that bad for the future of endurance sports? I don't get this argument, and frankly I can see how it would be offensive to a newbie.

I agree with Lisa here.  See my post above about how often the people who start out to just finish a distance will more often than not continue on to challenge themselves and their times to get better.  That is the essence of endurance sports - to challenge yourself and improve.

However, I do not see "finishing" an IM or a marathon as any real great accomplishment in the big scheme of things - so I don't think Freil's statement about "going slowly for a long time just so one can cross the finish line is held in higher regard" is very accurate.  I think everyone can appreciate someone ripping apart a sprint or oly. course and putting up a solid time.  In regards to longer distances, as long as someone is physically able, they are not THAT challenging of a feat.  Sure, it takes some longer than others, but it is just moving your body.  And anyone adequately trained can go the distances.  So perhaps for those that don't do it, they hold the person in high regard.  But for those that do, they often look at the leaders times and go "Wow!  Holy sh-t that is fast!"  I know I do .........
2009-08-24 9:47 AM

Expert
Behind you
Everyone IS a winner.  The losers are the ones sitting at home doing drugs and disrespecting their bodies that God has given them.  Period.
2009-08-24 9:49 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

If you are shooting to be a top gun in the sport, why does it matter if the average is getting slower?  Guess what?  It doesnt! Cuz there are still going to be fasties out there trying to win the whole thing at the pointy end of the curve.  However- by having more people attaining the completion of these events, it waters down the mystique of doing a mary or finishing a tri or whatever to the general masses.  So someone is basically upset that someone isnt taking their hobby as seriously as they do?  Cripes, when I played golf I played it as another excuse for a few beers, but I suppose golf forums have subjects on beer swilling slow players who mess up their rounds.  I do have a problem with folks wanting to go long so early IF they are full of ideals of romanticism as to what training for long events is.  Yeah, its fun to thump your chest and say you are doing a HIM or IM or mary or whatever, but where I have trouble is when folks sign up for these events and dont put in the time.  Thats subjective, but at least put yourself in a position to be able to do the event.  Overall, more people in the sport means more events, more products, but less punch to your bragging rights.  In the end, time is still ticking away on race day, so if ya need something to thump your chest about to your buddies, get faster and feel good about that. 

2009-08-24 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2366270

Daremo - 2009-08-24 10:39 AM

However, I do not see "finishing" an IM or a marathon as any real great accomplishment in the big scheme of things - so I don't think Freil's statement about "going slowly for a long time just so one can cross the finish line is held in higher regard" is very accurate.  I think everyone can appreciate someone ripping apart a sprint or oly. course and putting up a solid time.  In regards to longer distances, as long as someone is physically able, they are not THAT challenging of a feat.  Sure, it takes some longer than others, but it is just moving your body.  And anyone adequately trained can go the distances.  So perhaps for those that don't do it, they hold the person in high regard.  But for those that do, they often look at the leaders times and go "Wow!  Holy sh-t that is fast!"  I know I do .........

I understand what you are saying, but to the average person who doesn't know anything about endurance sports, a marathon or an Ironman IS impressive. I think the goals of "winning" change as you become an adult. For kids, I agree - making "everyone a winner" does not teach them about the real world and sets them up for disappointment later on in life. But for most of us, we've already been there, done that a thousand times - we've been rejected from sports teams and other competitive school activities (student government, music ensembles, etc), colleges and grad programs, jobs, committees, etc. (And if you have never experienced rejection, don't take that for granted, just consider yourself INCREDIBLY blessed) I think most of us are pretty aware of whether or not we're fast, or good at swim/bike/run. And as others said, I think we all know that the finisher's medal we get at races is just for "participation", not for winning. I have one finisher's medal from my first official half marathon and I know I wasn't the winner. But I'm still pretty dang proud of what I did. It wasn't as if I didn't know that I could finish it - I could. But still, I look at it and think "Yeah, I did that - can YOU do that?" There are a lot of people out there who think merely finishing a 10K is impressive, because it's beyond what they'd bother to attempt to do. Which is fine for them, if that's not a goal. But the finisher's medal is just a nice little reminder of one of the goals I've met. I think there's something special about that, anyway. It's not about winning or losing or being "special", but the acknowledgement of working toward a goal and achieving it. And I think this is especially important these days, where hard work is not something most people respect anymore.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-08-24 9:54 AM
2009-08-24 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran

When I told my mother I was doing a race last spring the first thing she said was "do you even have a chance to win?"  Not very supportive and really not the reason I bet most people do triathlons - certainly not why I'm doing them. I did my first tri back in June my goal was to finish but I didn't want to finish BOP.  I ended up firmly MOP and I was beyond pleased - I won my race but not the race.  I'm coming up to my next race in a couple of weeks and I've upped my goal and that is what I am competeing for.  For me it is about setting goals for myself and improving my times not winning.

That being said I do think that part of competing is working hard and challenging yourself.  I'm in a group of about 20 moms that have been training all summer.  In that group there are several women like me that work their butts off training and are really goal-oriented.  But most of them I've found really just want to finish the race and don't challenge themselves all that much in their training.  Both outlooks are okay but I know who will still be doing triathlons next year . . .

2009-08-24 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
I've got an issue with Friel's assessment of the state of the competition today.. My dad did a lot of marathons when I was younger, and did BQ with a 2:50-2:55 marathon time at the age of 40.  Maybe because MCM is a major one around here, but 2:50 for a 40 year old does not win your age group. 
2009-08-24 10:12 AM

New user
My kids always ask me if I won, and I wonder how they didn't notice the hundreds or thousands of people who crossed the finish line before me???

But I think the charity tie in has a lot to do with this just-finish attitude too. I know many people who got a marathon number through a charity and meandered across the finish line, and will likely never do a marathon again or even run much again. I personally don't get the logic - donate money to my charity and I'll run for several hours??? I often donate if I can, because I feel for these people who signed on to not only train for an event they are often woefully unprepared to do, but then they have the stress of their credit card possibly getting charged $2000 if they don't raise it all from others!

2009-08-24 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2366393

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Bioteknik - 2009-08-24 11:10 AM I've got an issue with Friel's assessment of the state of the competition today.. My dad did a lot of marathons when I was younger, and did BQ with a 2:50-2:55 marathon time at the age of 40.  Maybe because MCM is a major one around here, but 2:50 for a 40 year old does not win your age group. 

Less than 2% of all marathoners will ever finish under 3 hours (statistical numbers).  2:50 is impressive as hell!!  And it would win some smaller marathons in our area.
2009-08-24 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2366190

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills

econway - 2009-08-24 9:17 AM

I like the following quote. This kind of sums up why after nearly 7 years I've yet to do a full IM, when I actually decide to do one I want to train for it so I can race it, not just finish it. With my current family and life situation I know I could train to 'just finish', but I don't have the time right now to train to finish fast.

"I also come across people who have never done a triathlon at any distance and are contemplating doing an Ironman as their first race. There’s no concern for how fast they might go. It’s just get to the finish line so they can hear those magic words, “You’re now an Ironman.” Then they can get a tattoo on the ankle, I guess." - J.F. at http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/08/everyones-winner.html

I feel exactly the same way. It seems so many will finish their first sprint and immediately start talking about doing an Ironman next year or later the same year. You read it in the race reports/forums all the time. And the reason for that is that you have the prestige factor I guess of saying your an Ironman even if you just do it to finish rather than race.

But it can also be very satisfying especially as a competitive individual to see how much you improve race to race primarily competing in sprints. If you finish a BOPer in your first sprint ... I think it makes more sense to try to improve your performance in sprints to the point where you are competive in your age group rather than jumping right to an Ironman just to struggle across the finish line. Just my opinion though...

Edited by rventuri 2009-08-24 10:20 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Everyone's a Winner Rss Feed  

of 9