BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-12-24 9:16 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN
Originally posted by k9car363

Hey Steve, I’d like to re-up with your group if you still have room.

NAME: Scott K.

BIO:

55 Y.O. Male, married, 2 "little ones," 5 grand-kids (would've had the grand-kids first if we'd known how much fun they are!)

STORY:

I know training techniques have changed dramatically in the past decades and I know there are many people here with far more knowledge than I have. I anxiously look forward to hearing their expertise.

HE'S BACK!!!!

Hey, welcome back Scott. I hadn't seen any posts from you in a while so I'm delighted your still with our group.

For those of you new to the forum, Scott participated in our last Gray Guy/Girl group and is our resident swim coach. He is a wonderful resource when it comes to swimming and training and we're quite lucky to have him in our group. I encourage you to check out his blog as well. He has a lot of information and links on improving your swimming, better training, etc.

Glad to have you on the team Scott!

Steve

2013-12-24 9:19 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN
Originally posted by juneapple

Hi Steve, I'd like to re-up again for another season. Really appreciated your leadership last season and looking forward to trading more Geritol tips...

Stu

You bet, Stu! Delighted to have you still in the Gray guy/girl group. You were a fabulous contributor in the last go around and I know you'll solid ideas and insights for the group going forward!

Steve
2013-12-24 9:29 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
Originally posted by JREDFLY

My name is James - age 56 currently weighing in at 172 at 5’9”. Family – I am married to my wonderful wife and have 4 great kids (ages 11 to 17).

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Hey James--great to have you around for round two of the Gray Guys/Girls forum! We all enjoyed seeing your progress over the summer and look forward to cheering you on in 2014. The way your run times started dropping last year I'm thinking 2014 is your break through year!

Welcome back!

Steve
2013-12-24 9:37 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Regular
Originally posted by hoffsquared

Hi,

I'd like to join this group!  I'm looking for a group that focuses on middle-aged athletes and all the things we face.

Melanie's Story:  I am 52 and I started running in 2003 but didn't get my butt really in gear until the next year.  

Thanks!

Melanie

Hey Melanie:

I apologize for not getting to you sooner. I saw your post, thought I responded, but can't locate it, so I must have missed it. We're delighted to have you join the Gray Guys/Girls forum! We'll look forward to getting you introduced to the group.

Best regards,

Steve
2013-12-24 9:42 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
Originally posted by juneapple

Welcome to all the new faces (and a special shout out to Melanie - it will be great to be in a group with you again!!).

James, not sure if we're keeping up with the contest at this point (we could call it early to save us all some really poor point totals this week... lol!).

Stu

Stu/James--might be good to start out a new contest after the New Year so we can get everyone involved who wants to join.

Steve
2013-12-24 9:44 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Regular
Originally posted by DJP_19

Hi Steve,

If the group is still open, I'd like to join.

Name: Dave/ DJP_19

Bio: 56 years old, married for 30 years with 3 children, ages 25, 21 and 19. I'm a sales director for a global telecom company.

You're in Dave! Welcome aboard!

Steve

2013-12-24 12:09 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Hi, Steve!

I am 54, active duty Navy. Married for 21 years. No children.

I started running marathons in 1999. I had probably run about 6 marathons before I realized that it is really hard for me to recover after them. So I started running half marathons. I have never been fast. I didn't start running until my first marathon in 1999. I ran my first half marathon in 2001, signing up for it four days before.

So this year I thought it would be fun to try a duathlon, mostly because I didn't know how to swim. It was a sprint (1.5 run, 11.6 bike, 1.5 run) and I finished last, but I finished.

So I decided to take swimming lessons. Much to my dismay, I am not a very good swimmer. I can't kick and can't swim fast (about 40-60 seconds per 25 yards), and I have to take breaks. Which is the reason I decided to try indoor swimming triathlons. My first one is 05 January. I know, right?

Anyway, I saw this website and thought it would be nice to throw things off of someone who is actually good at this sport.

I just recently lost 30 pounds (and aiming for about 10 more). I haven't really started any weight training program, just cardio. So the things I would hope to learn from you is weight training exercises that will benefit my triathlon sports, as well as ways to run, bike, and swim more efficiently.

Look forward to learning more and getting to know you and everyone else in this chain.

Kathy
2013-12-24 1:16 PM
in reply to: docrunningwild

User image

Regular
Originally posted by docrunningwild

Hi, Steve!

I am 54, active duty Navy. Married for 21 years. No children.

So I decided to take swimming lessons. Much to my dismay, I am not a very good swimmer.
Anyway, I saw this website and thought it would be nice to throw things off of someone who is actually good at this sport.

Look forward to learning more and getting to know you and everyone else in this chain.

Kathy

Kathy--Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you. I didn't know you could be in the Navy and NOT be a good swimmer?! I just figured that was part of the drill. We've got a good team and I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas and motivation from the group.

Best,

Steve
2013-12-24 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4915093

User image

Expert
Falls Church
I'm sitting in a airport waiting for the next leg of my trip. No training for me until at least Sunday. I'm putting together my general training plan for the Columbia Triathlon (Olympic) in May. It is a big, very competitive race and I'd like to move up slot or two in my age group. The biggest change(s) I am making are joining a group ride on Saturdays that is on a hilly challenging 22 mile route and another group on Thursday morning for track workouts. I'm hoping this will boost my training efforts at least twice a week.

So will you/someone be explaining this point thing? It could just to the trick to keeping me within good eating boundaries.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone.

2013-12-25 10:16 AM

have I been added to this training group??
2013-12-25 10:57 AM
in reply to: lclemmy4

User image

Regular
Originally posted by lclemmy4

have I been added to this training group??

You're in. Start posting!

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Steve

2013-12-25 11:01 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Regular
Originally posted by hoffsquared

I'm sitting in a airport waiting for the next leg of my trip. No training for me until at least Sunday. I'm putting together my general training plan for the Columbia Triathlon (Olympic) in May. It is a big, very competitive race and I'd like to move up slot or two in my age group. The biggest change(s) I am making are joining a group ride on Saturdays that is on a hilly challenging 22 mile route and another group on Thursday morning for track workouts. I'm hoping this will boost my training efforts at least twice a week.

So will you/someone be explaining this point thing? It could just to the trick to keeping me within good eating boundaries.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone.

Melanie--we'll get our weight control/fitness program contest rolling after the first of the year once we have the new forum group all set. It's pretty easy, you get points for any weight lost and minutes of exercise.

Once you have your training plan together I would be happy to review it if you think that would be helpful. Also, I'm a big believer in track workouts to build run speed. Just BE CAREFUL. It is pretty easy to over do it and come out injured.

Merry Christmas.
2013-12-25 12:05 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

HE'S BACK!!!!

Hey, welcome back Scott.

I hadn't seen any posts from you in a while so I'm delighted your still with our group. For those of you new to the forum, Scott participated in our last Gray Guy/Girl group and is our resident swim coach. He is a wonderful resource when it comes to swimming and training and we're quite lucky to have him in our group. I encourage you to check out his blog as well. He has a lot of information and links on improving your swimming, better training, etc.

Glad to have you on the team Scott!

Steve

Thank you Steve!  Only hope I can live up to the hype.  Look forward to 'meeting' all the new people in the group.

Also, for the new folks, more than happy to answer any swim related questions.

2013-12-25 12:16 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hello Stu, James, and Linda!  Glad to see the old gang's all here!  Hope we are starting the weight loss/workout challenge back up.  I still need to drop about 40 pounds before May 4th.  Looking forward to another year!

2013-12-25 12:43 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by docrunningwild

Hi, Steve! I am 54, active duty Navy. Married for 21 years. No children. So I decided to take swimming lessons. Much to my dismay, I am not a very good swimmer . . .

Kathy

Kathy--Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you. I didn't know you could be in the Navy and NOT be a good swimmer?!  I just figured that was part of the drill . . .

Steve

Hi Kathy,

I remember back to the day when I could barely go one length of a 50-meter pool.  In a few short years, I had qualified for a national championship.  So there is hope.  For starters, why do you say, "I am not a very good swimmer?"  The first step is to identify the problem(s).

2013-12-25 1:16 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Christmas Week

Well, it's Christmas week, which is always a challenge for getting in the training. Between the odd hours, reduced sleep, rich foods and WAY too many sweets, I'm happy if I can just stay on track.

My basic plan for the week is to push back my normal rest day (Monday) to Christmas Day and then try to plug in as much of a normal training week as possible. I think it will look something like this:

Monday--2000 yards in the pool, one hour strength workout at the gym

Tuesday--65 minutes on the indoor bike trainer

Wednesday (Christmas)--eat, drink and be merry

Thursday--2000 yards swimming, 50 minutes run

Friday-70 minutes on the indoor bike trainer

Saturday--10 mile run, one hour strength training, ez swim if feeling up for it

Sunday--two hours on the indoor trainer while watching football. My pool workout aren't two structured right now. I'll generally do a 500 yard warm up followed by a set of 10 X 100 reps with a re-start of each 100 at either 1:50 or 1:55 depending on how I'm feeling, then finish out the balance with drills or possibly sprints (10 X 50).

Have a great holiday! Steve

Steve,

You continue to be an inspiration.  I am down with my annual Christmas cold.  It just wouldn't be Christmas time unless I was sick.  Hope to get back to it on Monday.

2013-12-25 1:45 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by dustytrails

Hope to make it to pool in the morning. i been reading "Total Immersion" swimming....not that I need to with Scott in the group 

Hi Linda.  Thanks for the kind words.

My opinion on Total Immersion - I know there are many people that swear by Total Immersion, however I would be careful putting too much into the 'Total Immersion' program.  EVERY SINGLE person I have worked with that had followed Total Immersion had several bad habits that had to be unlearned before we could move forward.  While Total Immersion may get an absolute novice swimming, it will get them swimming with poor technique and I have NEVER met anyone fast that followed the total immersion philosophy.

2013-12-25 4:44 PM

User image

Columbia, Missouri
My name is Vicki, 47, and I would like to join this group...June, 2010 I was at my heaviest ever 266 pounds...I have lost close to 80 pounds since then and I have always had a fascination to try a Tri...Running will be my weak area as I had a left knee replacement in 2010. I love to swim but I have no kick but a massive upper body pull...I love to bike but it has been mostly on a trail not road...and I have done none of these competitively...So I am as raw as they get...I am clay ready to be molded...I am an athlete ready to cross the finish line. I thought of starting with a Sprint in May then eventually building to compete in the Cozumel Ironman in 2015...not sure if I would be ready for a full Ironman in 2014 but who knows...Peace!
2013-12-25 6:15 PM
in reply to: ff1diver

User image

Regular
Originally posted by ff1diver

My name is Vicki, 47, and I would like to join this group...June, 2010 I was at my heaviest ever 266 pounds...I have lost close to 80 pounds since then and I have always had a fascination to try a Tri...Running will be my weak area as I had a left knee replacement in 2010. I love to swim but I have no kick but a massive upper body pull...I love to bike but it has been mostly on a trail not road...and I have done none of these competitively...So I am as raw as they get...I am clay ready to be molded...I am an athlete ready to cross the finish line. I thought of starting with a Sprint in May then eventually building to compete in the Cozumel Ironman in 2015...not sure if I would be ready for a full Ironman in 2014 but who knows...Peace!

Hey Vicki:

Welcome to the group. You'll find plenty of people on this forum willing to answer your questions and provide ideas and insights.

I like your big goal of an ironman in 2015. I had a mentor who told me once, 'Set your goals high...if your goals aren't just beyond your reach, what good are they?

There are plenty of good training programs on BT that can get you through your May race. The key will be to lay out a training plan that is right for your specific level of fitness. Just keep in mind, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. The next five months leading up to your May race will be a spectacular learning experience. Enjoy the ride and let us know how we can help.

Steve
2013-12-25 7:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
I hope everyone is having a great day!

I think it is unanimous that Scott was running away with our last contest and will be awarded the coveted Black Dog Mug - with bragging rights! Scott PM me your address.

To give the new people an idea on how our contest works I will attach the last results I have due to the last thread disappearing (the names have been changed to protect the innocent).

Stu can be thanked for creating this thoghtful matrix where it not only rewards the people that have quite a bit of weight to lose but gives points for not gaining weight and strong incentives for time working out.

This is how it works:

Gain 5 points for no weight gain.

Gain 10 points for every pound loss and lose 10 points for every pound gained

Gain 1 point for every 30 minutes working out (swim, bike, run or weight training)

I will let the boss-man set the dates for the contest but we usually weigh-in and report on Sundays or Mondays at the latest and I try to post the weekly results by Tuesday night.

It keeps everyone engaged and gets the competive juices going.

For you new people, I was in your sneakers last year, please do not hesitate to ask questions the experienced people on this thread are thoughtful and a great resource.

Happy holidays everyone.

James

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-12-25 8:04 PM

(Gray GG 12-25-2013.jpg)

(Black Dog Mug.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Gray GG 12-25-2013.jpg (50KB - 9 downloads)
Black Dog Mug.jpg (4KB - 11 downloads)
2013-12-26 6:49 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Originally posted by ff1diver

Welcome Vicki - we have some X-Terra triathlons in Virginia where the biking and running are on trails. Might be something to consider if you prefer that approach - I image they are in Missouri as well. Or you could be like me and do your first few tris on a mountain bike (not recommended btw!). That's an inspiring goal for next year - I like it! You and Scott can climb that hill together!

2013-12-26 6:55 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Originally posted by JREDFLY

I think it is unanimous that Scott was running away with our last contest and will be awarded the coveted Black Dog Mug - with bragging rights! Scott PM me your address.

Curses, the coveted "Black Dog" has escaped me again. Sure, you might think I re-upped in this group b/c of Steve's exceptional leadership... or Scott's great swim tips... or the bonds that kept the group going throughout the Fall/Winter... but no, it is the Black Dog that keeps me coming back for more! (and yes, I agree, unless Scott has been eating way too many Christmas cookies, he ran away with the contest this Fall - though I did keep him honest for a few weeks!). A competitive group we are... with Steve's "back in the saddle" training numbers coming post Jan 1, I think I am likely to take my normal place in the middle of the pack.

Stu
2013-12-26 7:12 AM

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Pick me! Pick me! I'd love to join the group!

NAME: wsummerhill/Wendy

STORY: I have been running for 33 years. It has always come naturally and I truly love to run. I have done 31 marathons, many HMs and a 50k. I love the long distances but 5Ks kill me! My legs don't move that fast! I have been feeling burned out of running and the miles take a toll on your body. For the past several years I've been toying with the triathlon but wasn't "there". So why now? I have a friend who did triathlons with his wife and could see how much fun they had. Last year at the Musselman HIM, his wife was competing and had an accident on the bike. She sustained a head injury and died. It deeply affected our entire running group. I'm organizing a group to go back to Musselman in July in her honor. It is truly amazing how our running group has responded. And I've been so excited about learning about the sport! I've been training for the last month and amazed how good I feel not pounding the pavement. Oh, and there are so many cool toys!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 10 year old boy and 9 year old girl

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been on the bike trainer 2-3 times a week for an hour, swimming 2 times a week, running 40-50 miles a week

2013 Races-- Disney Marathon, Boston Marathon, Chicago Marathon, Delay the Disease 50K

THIS YEAR'S PLANNED RACES: Wendy's Sprint Tri, Musselman 70.3, Ironman Louisville

WEIGHTLOSS: My weight has been stable and I don't want to lose weight. However, I'd love to clean up my diet. Having two children, there are too many temptations in the house!

I look forward to getting to know you guys and hearing all of your stories!
2013-12-26 9:15 AM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Regular
Originally posted by wsummerhill

Pick me! Pick me! I'd love to join the group!

I look forward to getting to know you guys and hearing all of your stories!

Hey Wendy--you're in! Welcome to the forum! We'll look forward to using your running expertise as well! We've got a great group and we're glad to have you join the team.

Steve
2013-12-26 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by ff1diver My name is Vicki, 47, and I would like to join this group...June, 2010 I was at my heaviest ever 266 pounds...I have lost close to 80 pounds since then and I have always had a fascination to try a Tri...Running will be my weak area as I had a left knee replacement in 2010. I love to swim but I have no kick but a massive upper body pull...I love to bike but it has been mostly on a trail not road...and I have done none of these competitively...So I am as raw as they get...I am clay ready to be molded...I am an athlete ready to cross the finish line. I thought of starting with a Sprint in May then eventually building to compete in the Cozumel Ironman in 2015...not sure if I would be ready for a full Ironman in 2014 but who knows...Peace!

Hey Vicki!  I see you're in Columbia - I'm a little east of you in O'Fallon, MO but my daughter is in your neck of the woods going to school at Mizzou.  Are you thinking about doing Tri-Zou in May?  I've done it twice (well, actually 1-1/2 times - DNF'd halfway thru the bike the second time due to waking up sick that day).  It was my first tri in 2009.  It's a great race - the bike course is a little challenging (at least it was for me ) but not too bad.  I've been thinking about maybe doing the duathlon this year instead but it will depend on the race date.  Our son graduates from college in May so it will depend on timing. 

Janet

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18700 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.