BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-01-30 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3329133

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL

BigDH - 2011-01-30 7:59 AM Why is it that I can get up at 530 to go to work, but it is such a challenge to do it for a workout, even though I presumably like working out more?

The weekend is tough when its 'your' time. But I know if i didn't have to meet my friend I would dally around forever ....  doesn't staying in bed so sooooo much better!

2011-01-30 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Memphis
Kristen - 
Love the snow pics!!! Beautiful!! Love your little man in the driveway too. So great  
2011-01-30 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3329150

User image

Champion
Calgary
juniperjen - 2011-01-30 6:17 AM

BigDH - 2011-01-30 7:59 AM Why is it that I can get up at 530 to go to work, but it is such a challenge to do it for a workout, even though I presumably like working out more?

The weekend is tough when its 'your' time. But I know if i didn't have to meet my friend I would dally around forever ....  doesn't staying in bed so sooooo much better!

Both true. Especially the cold. I actually find getting up early to go to work not that bad, going from qarm bed to warm car kinda nice.

30 k today, 3:21, not bad. First 22 k were awesome, last 8 not so much.
2011-01-30 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3327787

User image

Memphis
hooliemay - 2011-01-28 6:08 PM
BigDH - 2011-01-28 11:34 AM I could slap myself silly. I skipped my yoga yesterday because I was too tired. Now I am stiff and grumpy because I didn't sleep well. It only takes 10 minutes. Grrrrrr.

Silly silly! Tricks are for kids... 

Just got home from the gym. Went in to use the luxury treadmills for my long run today and my knees are thankful. Our old beast is not so gentle. My long run was 19 1:1 intervals run:walk and a cool down so no comparison to you all running for hours but it was by far the longest I've ever run and it felt great!!!

Thanks for all the hugs. I will definitely be using my training as a distraction while he is away and I'm gonna be one hot military wife by the time he gets home.

Keri, thanks for the cookie thoughts, that's a great program. I wonder if the Canadian Girl Scouts are doing the same thing??? We have a free postage program to the guys in theatre (that's what they call it when they are in a combat zone to make it sound less terrifying for the families I think Undecided).

Skipping my P90 workout today and going for dinner with hubby instead. Have a great night all.

GREAT JOB on the run! So great. Hope dinner was awesome.  
2011-01-30 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3329607

User image

Memphis
BIKE QUESTIONS: 

Hey all! I am struggling to make a decision about purchasing a bike, or not...and what it will do (if anything) to my time.
Here's an update:

Probably my best "outside" pace has been 13/per hour. This would be on the hubby's dual suspension GT mtn bike, 1995 edition. He talked to his bike-shop friend, who said he would put road tires on it for us for $60. I looked today at a hybrid that is $250 - aluminum frame, road tires. Honestly that bike didn't feel remarkably lighter than the mtn bike. Question: will a road bike knock SIGNIFICANT time off of the pace? If not, what should i be doing differently with the training to increase the pace? 

Thanks so much!  
2011-01-30 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3329613

User image

Champion
Calgary
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-30 2:51 PM

BIKE QUESTIONS: 

Hey all! I am struggling to make a decision about purchasing a bike, or not...and what it will do (if anything) to my time.
Here's an update:

Probably my best "outside" pace has been 13/per hour. This would be on the hubby's dual suspension GT mtn bike, 1995 edition. He talked to his bike-shop friend, who said he would put road tires on it for us for $60. I looked today at a hybrid that is $250 - aluminum frame, road tires. Honestly that bike didn't feel remarkably lighter than the mtn bike. Question: will a road bike knock SIGNIFICANT time off of the pace? If not, what should i be doing differently with the training to increase the pace? 

Thanks so much!  

I don't know much or anything about bikes. But I can say for certainty that you will go significantly faster on a cheap 10 speed than on a dual suspension mtn bike, doesn't the suspension just suck up power to the wheels.

I think a hybrid is a great choice. After this season you could figure out more of what you like and get a bike best suited for you and then you will have a second bike for tooting around, which is cool.

2011-01-31 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3329829

User image

Memphis
thank you Darren! Decisions, decisions.
2011-01-31 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Awesome workouts this weekend, guys!! So, we're at end of January - we've seen some come and go!

How are you feeling about the month so far and the one ahead. For those of us in the snowy north, i think the weather is definitely taking its toll.

But, we keep going strong!! Post up your plan for the week! What's going on? What are you feeling strong/weak in?

2011-01-31 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3319893

User image

Veteran
debbiereid06 - 2011-01-25 7:36 AM
debbiereid06 - 2011-01-24 9:30 AM So sad about the Bears, but they really didn't show up to the game and played with a 3rd string QB so I guess for that they played okay.  Oh well!  It is just football

Last week went pretty good for me.  I missed Saturday's workout because life got in the way, but things happen.  I am hoping to get all 5 workouts in this week!

M-rest
T-2.5 miles
W-cross train  20 min. overslept
R-rest
F-2.5 miles 2.75 miles
S-spin
S-4 miles

January has been great for me!!!  My goal was to run 30 miles in 30 days and I did that!!!  I am so excited to be back in a groove.  So running is going great for me.  I want to get back in the water, but my suit is too big , so I need to order a new one.  Someone just bought a suit, right?!  Where was it from? 

My plan for this week is

M-rest
T-2.5 mile run
W-30 min. cross training
R-2.5 mile run

F-rest

S-40 min. cross train-hoping to get in the pool!

S-4.5 mile run

2011-01-31 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3329613

User image

Upstate NY
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-30 4:51 PM BIKE QUESTIONS: 

Here's an update:

Thanks so much!  

Just my quick thoughts...

I think if you enjoy biking, plan on doing more triathlons, and have the money, invest in a cheap road bike.  Even look for a used one.  A road bike will go faster with less effort  (Lighter and less contact with the road) and a properly fitted road bike will be more comfortable.  (Maybe not on you butt, not as smooth as a mt bike or hybrid)

I have also seen many people borrow a friends road bike for a sprint triathlon, so that is always an option.  Or even borrow a road bike to see how much it improves your biking on the same course.
2011-01-31 4:48 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Had a good month. Only took 3 days off running which is good. Hit my mileage goals and more so good. Yoga went well too.

Changing my running plan. Decided to do an actual marathon plan. So I start this week. No more 11-12 k a day. Now it is going to be a bunch of easy days and a bunch of hard days. Kinda worried about it as I can do 12 k a day, not sure I can do 18k one day, even if I just do 8k the day before. Lots of VO2 Max and temp work plus a long run on the weekend and a midweek longish run. Is going to be a serious challenge. The plan has mileage of 55-70 miles per week. So it is more mileage than I have been doing but the plan below it had far less mileage so I figured, give it a shot right.

eta so I suppose what I am feeling strong at, in regards to this plan, is getting the 8k recovery runs in. I feel very unsure about the midweek long runs and vo2 max runs. Hopefully the recovery days will actually work.

Edited by BigDH 2011-01-31 4:50 PM

2011-01-31 6:25 PM
in reply to: #3330452

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
juniperjen - 2011-01-31 9:49 AM Awesome workouts this weekend, guys!! So, we're at end of January - we've seen some come and go!

How are you feeling about the month so far and the one ahead. For those of us in the snowy north, i think the weather is definitely taking its toll.

But, we keep going strong!! Post up your plan for the week! What's going on? What are you feeling strong/weak in?

I feel relatively good about how things went in January. I've started to enjoy running more this past month!

I start my official tri training plan in February.  I'm glad to have a more structured training plan, but a little worried that I'll be taking steps back in my training b/c a lot of the workouts are shorter than the ones I've been doing already. 

I'm feeling stronger in running than before and weak in cycling b/c I haven't been training on my actual bike yet.  I've only been taking spin classes.

My plan for this week:
Mon - rest
Tues - spin class (1 hr)
Wed - swim (30 mins)
Thurs - spin class (1 hr)
Fri - swim (30 mins)
Sat - run (30 mins)
Sun - run (50 mins)

I have to do back to back runs over the weekend b/c we'll be up in Vermont at my in-laws and I won't have access to a pool or bike.  They do have a treadmill, though!
2011-01-31 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
So i guess it is because I haven't run that far or that hard in a while.  My hip flexors are killing me today.  Anyone else have that problem?! Or does anyone have any good stretches for hip flexors.  I can't believe that it is bothering me that much.  I think that I need to maybe not run so fast.  The last time my flexors bothered me was when i was training for my 1/2 mary and would do long runs and 4 miles isn't long. 
2011-01-31 9:28 PM

User image

snow has been thwarting my running and the 5k is sunday. got out there tonight - hope to hit the gym for treadmill (hoping for treadmill, ha ha) tomorrow and wednesday at least. 

hope yall have been doing well. sorry i'm so mia lately but most of it is being busy at work, and that's not such a bad thing right??? even though i'm quiet yall are inspiring with your persistence - i do get email updates on the thread so i'm at least reading to keep up with the group!

debbie - for hip flexors, i like doing warrior one pose with a little variation. it's like a lunge forward with your back leg straight, and hips square to the front. put both arms up in the air, then press your arm forward for whichever leg is behind you/opposite front knee. it is a very nice, knee friendly hip flexor stretch. i learned it in this video - it's more than just that pose but is nice if you have the time!
http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/body-sculpting/beginner-yoga-3933 
2011-02-01 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Debbie, Lindsay's suggestion of Warrior 1 is great. As are low lunges where you do a kneeling lunge.  My PT had me doing alot of that when i had ITB. 

2011-02-01 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3331717

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
BigDH - 2011-01-31 5:48 PM Had a good month. Only took 3 days off running which is good. Hit my mileage goals and more so good. Yoga went well too. Changing my running plan. Decided to do an actual marathon plan. So I start this week. No more 11-12 k a day. Now it is going to be a bunch of easy days and a bunch of hard days. Kinda worried about it as I can do 12 k a day, not sure I can do 18k one day, even if I just do 8k the day before. Lots of VO2 Max and temp work plus a long run on the weekend and a midweek longish run. Is going to be a serious challenge. The plan has mileage of 55-70 miles per week. So it is more mileage than I have been doing but the plan below it had far less mileage so I figured, give it a shot right. eta so I suppose what I am feeling strong at, in regards to this plan, is getting the 8k recovery runs in. I feel very unsure about the midweek long runs and vo2 max runs. Hopefully the recovery days will actually work.

Are you doing a Pfitz plan? You definitely have the mileage for it! just one run at a time, my friend - haha, sounds like AA for runners but it always makes me feel better just to think about today's run.

Edited by juniperjen 2011-02-01 7:51 AM

2011-02-01 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Kristen - Awesome that you are feeling good. And i wouldn't worry too much about starting your plan at less volume than now.  Two things may be the case: one, it may be more intense but on the other is that most plans follow a progression - and it's good for your body to step back a bit and then work toward a heavier load rather than just keep on at the same rate.  Most training theories have a build/recover strategy that repeats and builds progressively with the peak being within the weeks before your race. 

2011-02-01 7:59 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Oh and my plan for the week:

Mon: hill run
Tues: 45- minute bike, 40 swim
Wed: 13k run with tempo - Going to see Chasing Legends - a documentary about the 2009 Tour De France
Thurs: swim group
Fri: Yoga
Sat: 18k run
Sun: 1:25 bike, 30 - min swim

January was one where my motivation was waning.  I am normally so very consistent but I am feeling the winter blues a bit.  I am hoping that February will get me more enthusiastic with training as i build for my 30k run and continue with my swim group.
2011-02-01 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3332586

User image

Champion
Calgary
juniperjen - 2011-02-01 6:50 AM

BigDH - 2011-01-31 5:48 PM Had a good month. Only took 3 days off running which is good. Hit my mileage goals and more so good. Yoga went well too. Changing my running plan. Decided to do an actual marathon plan. So I start this week. No more 11-12 k a day. Now it is going to be a bunch of easy days and a bunch of hard days. Kinda worried about it as I can do 12 k a day, not sure I can do 18k one day, even if I just do 8k the day before. Lots of VO2 Max and temp work plus a long run on the weekend and a midweek longish run. Is going to be a serious challenge. The plan has mileage of 55-70 miles per week. So it is more mileage than I have been doing but the plan below it had far less mileage so I figured, give it a shot right. eta so I suppose what I am feeling strong at, in regards to this plan, is getting the 8k recovery runs in. I feel very unsure about the midweek long runs and vo2 max runs. Hopefully the recovery days will actually work.

Are you doing a Pfitz plan? You definitely have the mileage for it! just one run at a time, my friend - haha, sounds like AA for runners but it always makes me feel better just to think about today's run.

you got it.
2011-02-01 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3332638

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
BigDH - 2011-02-01 9:09 AM
juniperjen - 2011-02-01 6:50 AM

you got it.

Excellent, you already have the mileage for it - just a slightly new approach - it'll be awesome!
2011-02-01 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3332662

User image

Memphis
Feeling TOTALLY exhausted today. Had a 3.5 run on the schedule...tried to get out early and it started pouring. Feeling a little cold coming on as well...stink!!! May take the day off and get back to it tomorrow. Any great ideas for staving off a cold?

2011-02-01 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3332724

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
mylissahorrocks - 2011-02-01 9:43 AM Feeling TOTALLY exhausted today. Had a 3.5 run on the schedule...tried to get out early and it started pouring. Feeling a little cold coming on as well...stink!!! May take the day off and get back to it tomorrow. Any great ideas for staving off a cold?

Oh no! I hope you feel better - I don't have much except for resting and taking it easy
2011-02-01 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
mylissahorrocks - 2011-02-01 7:43 AM

Feeling TOTALLY exhausted today. Had a 3.5 run on the schedule...tried to get out early and it started pouring. Feeling a little cold coming on as well...stink!!! May take the day off and get back to it tomorrow. Any great ideas for staving off a cold?

If it is in your head you are probably not going to make it any worse by working out, and a little physical exertion might loosen things up some.

If it is in your chest then you have to be more careful.
2011-02-01 3:48 PM

Cold Lake
mylissahorrocks - 2011-02-01 7:43 AM Feeling TOTALLY exhausted today. Had a 3.5 run on the schedule...tried to get out early and it started pouring. Feeling a little cold coming on as well...stink!!! May take the day off and get back to it tomorrow. Any great ideas for staving off a cold?

I find getting in the pool and swimming like a mad woman always makes my head cold dissipate. Atleast for a couple of hours post swim. Laughing  Hope you're feeling better soon. 
2011-02-01 4:30 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
k, so this week looks like

m recovery run DONE
t 14k 6k at 5:10, done, 6 k at 5:07
w off/recovery
r 18k mid long run
F 14k aerobic whatever the hell that is
S Recover/off
Sun 24 k long run.

Yoga 6 out of 7 nights.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35