Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-07-05 9:26 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: 100d x 10m = 1 strong core
I'm a weekend drinker. In the summer, it is boating season, and very little beats drinks out on the water. In the fall, it is college football season, so that means tailgates and bars for away games, along with road trips. The winter is college basketball season, and that means pre game drinks at the bar or sports bar sessions for games I'm not at. And in the spring, there's the Final Four, MLB starting up, golf trips...etc.

I don't go crazy, but I do have quite a bit on some occasions (like yesterday). I tend to get my workouts in during the late afternoons/evenings, so I am usually fairly well recovered from any indulgenes, although I will sneak a morning workout on the weekends some times. Rarely ever do I let the previous day's escapades slow me down from a workout. And if I know I have a big workout coming, I will refrain from going overboard anyways.

2013-07-05 9:31 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Originally posted by noelle1230

Interesting array of responses on the drinking question!  I'm so type A that I won't drink if I'm training the next day.  And I train every day but Sunday.  So I drink on Saturdays Laughing  But this weekend I have a race on Sunday, so I won't drink at all.  I used to be able to knock them back but at almost 40, it just affects me big time.  I think it's the dehydration affect.  And I generally just drink wine which I think creates a bit of a sinus headache at times.  But hubs and I love wine.  We even went to Sonoma for our honeymoon.  Man did we get wasted doing those wine tours Surprised

Switch, you are crazy.  You and your hubby posts these sick ab picks, then you say you often drink whiskey or beer daily.  I'm beginning to see that you are quite the anomaly!  A truly unique character.  I love it!

I have no problem having a beer or 2 the night before a training or race day. However, I am pretty picky about what I eat before a training session. I usually do my ab workouts at night after the kids go to bed. As long as that is the case I probably will not be having a beer with dinner.
2013-07-05 10:46 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Interesting array of responses on the drinking question!  I'm so type A that I won't drink if I'm training the next day.  And I train every day but Sunday.  So I drink on Saturdays Laughing  But this weekend I have a race on Sunday, so I won't drink at all.  I used to be able to knock them back but at almost 40, it just affects me big time.  I think it's the dehydration affect.  And I generally just drink wine which I think creates a bit of a sinus headache at times.  But hubs and I love wine.  We even went to Sonoma for our honeymoon.  Man did we get wasted doing those wine tours Surprised

Switch, you are crazy.  You and your hubby posts these sick ab picks, then you say you often drink whiskey or beer daily.  I'm beginning to see that you are quite the anomaly!  A truly unique character.  I love it!

Got engaged there (at Chateau St. Jean), and we're members of several winery wine clubs from Sonoma County.  I'll let everyone do the math on our wine consumption.  Cool

And I like me some beer, too.  And single malt in the winter.

This is perfect topic today, because...uh, I might have had one or six too many ALL DAY yesterday.  While in the sun.  Oops.

So this is a rare day where having a few is affecting my ability to train.  I'm a little dehydrated and didn't sleep well (that's the main problem for me...I can't sleep when I drink).

I'll try to plow through some kind of core workout today...if not, then I guess I'm doubling up tomorrow.

I drink beer daily, and have all my life, usually 3 or 4 after I workout and with dinner....sometimes a couple more.  I don't miss workouts because of it, and I've never had a "beer gut".   Activity level is key.

Agreed.  And diet.  I don't think the beer means all that much.

2013-07-05 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft Campbell, Kentucky
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by Laffenguy Done with another day. Going to start adding in some twisting motion ones to work side muscles now. If anyone has some good ideas, I could use some unique ones. I know all the normal ones. I dont really use a gym much, more body weight stuff. Everyone keep cranking the days out. Its only 10 minutes a day!

All of these instructors annoy me, but the exercises are good.  Apparently, there's a dirth of good looking, non-annoying pilates instructors on you-tube.

Corkscrew: http://www.howcast.com/videos/505927-Advanced-Pilates-Mat-Exercises-Full-Corkscrew

Side Bend:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YszFnCMcbVM

Side Twist:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAZ1QtE5idU

OK, dirth? Not a word. Dearth. That's the word. Heaven forbid I try to type messages without spell check. ; P And the 30 min edit rule sucks, just sayin. Hint hint

hahahahahaa, the 2 instructors in the 2nd and 3rd videos reminded me of the 2 girls from the Saturday Night Live skit...........Good TImes

Good exercise though, will pick the 2nd one up.............thanks!
2013-07-05 12:26 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Got engaged there (at Chateau St. Jean), and we're members of several winery wine clubs from Sonoma County.  I'll let everyone do the math on our wine consumption.  Cool

This is perfect topic today, because...uh, I might have had one or six too many ALL DAY yesterday.  While in the sun.  Oops.

So this is a rare day where having a few is affecting my ability to train.  I'm a little dehydrated and didn't sleep well (that's the main problem for me...I can't sleep when I drink).

I'll try to plow through some kind of core workout today...if not, then I guess I'm doubling up tomorrow.

I drink beer daily, and have all my life, usually 3 or 4 after I workout and with dinner....sometimes a couple more.  I don't miss workouts because of it, and I've never had a "beer gut".   Activity level is key.

Noelle and I were chatting about diet the other day.  I do have a relatively unique diet in that I don't eat a lot of processed foods, but I eat a lot of fat, and I don't care if it's saturated animal fat.  I eat butter, steak, eggs, bacon, cheese, etc.  We only have whole milk in our house.   I have very few "never" foods.  I bake for my family ~5 times a week, and I often have at least a few bites of whatever it is. My cholesterol is great both "bad" cholesterol and ratio, and my triglycerides are 38.  The time before that they were 14. 

I really think it's activity level, intensity, no eating a bunch of crap (though I define crap as processed food) and good genetics.

2013-07-05 2:28 PM

User image

Master

Noelle and I were chatting about diet the other day.  I do have a relatively unique diet in that I don't eat a lot of processed foods, but I eat a lot of fat, and I don't care if it's saturated animal fat.  I eat butter, steak, eggs, bacon, cheese, etc.  We only have whole milk in our house.   I have very few "never" foods.  I bake for my family ~5 times a week, and I often have at least a few bites of whatever it is. My cholesterol is great both "bad" cholesterol and ratio, and my triglycerides are 38.  The time before that they were 14. 

I really think it's activity level, intensity, no eating a bunch of crap (though I define crap as processed food) and good genetics.

I believe this to be a major contributor!  If I eat whatever I want, no matter how long/hard I workout, I ain't gonna have your body...

2013-07-05 3:50 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by bcraht

I believe this to be a major contributor!  If I eat whatever I want, no matter how long/hard I workout, I ain't gonna have your body...

But you have your body--and from what I can see that looks very beautiful, and I know it can train and race! :)
2013-07-05 7:18 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Day 12 was completed earlier this afternoon after a quick lawn mowing. There is more beer in my not so distant future.
2013-07-05 7:48 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by MSU_Brad Day 12 was completed earlier this afternoon after a quick lawn mowing. There is more beer in my not so distant future.

Now THAT's what I'm talking about!!!

<Editor's Note:  That slacker Mike took the ENTIRE day off from exercising.  I, mean, REALLY???  You couldn't drag yourself down thirteen stairs to the trainer and do something???  And I guess he doesn't get the "100 days" thing, either.  That's like "in a row, man", not "100 days whenever you get yourself out of bed".>

Day 11 in the books from Thursday...guess I'm doing a double tomorrow.  And a two-hour ride, because I'm also about an hour behind my goal on the TdF challenge.

2013-07-05 8:36 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
13/12  and it still hurts.
2013-07-05 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by bcraht

But you have your body--and from what I can see that looks very beautiful, and I know it can train and race!

Embarassed schpanks.  Don't get me wrong, I am ok with my body.  I would love to have rock hard everything, but life is more important to me than the work it would take to get that.  I sure wouldn't turn down the genetics that allow my SO to eat anything she wants, but never gain an ounce...

2013-07-05 9:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Casa Grande
okay I got my days work in. I haven't commented much but Erin has been updating the spreadsheet.

4x20 hanging leg raises
3x5 wide grip pullups....slllooooww
1x8 normal grip pullups...slllooooww
3x35 situps on decline bench..owww

Edited by jclarke450 2013-07-05 9:22 PM
2013-07-05 9:14 PM
in reply to: jclarke450

User image

Master

Originally posted by jclarke450 okay I got my days work in. I have.t commented mich but Erin has been updating the spreadsheet. 4x20 hanging leg raises 3x5 wide grip pullups....slllooooww 1x8 normal grip pullups...slllooooww 3x35 situps on decline bench..owww

No doubt owwwwww!  Hey, could someone please post a link again to the spreadsheet, I can't seem to find it.  Thanks!

2013-07-05 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
Casa Grande

^^this was completely true for me until I took up triathlon and started using a HR monitor religiously..(and nearing 40). I really have put on about 7-10 lbs of fat that just doesn't want to go away. I also don't do nearly enough High intensity work anymore....although because of this challenge I am changing this! I also haven't ridden motocross nearly as much the last 2 years. When I wear a HR monitor and ride I am usually bouncing between 170-180 for the duration on the track.

Edited by jclarke450 2013-07-05 9:27 PM
2013-07-05 9:32 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Origin

ally posted by switch

Originally posted by cdban66
Originally posted by Comet
Originally posted by

Google Spreadsheet

Can someone add me? It won't let me edit. :( And I guess that means someone will have to put in my numbers as well.

OK, it is open to anyone now (I hope).

Great job on all these cool core workouts everyone.  Mine have been booooring compared to yours.  You're inspiring me.  Thank you :)

Reposting the link to the google spread sheet--if you have a sec, try to update your numbers!

OK here's the link.  I'll see if I can add it to my sig line to make it easier for everyone.

OK, and no, no I can't figure out how to put a link in a sig line.  Little help?

Chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssss?

Edited by switch 2013-07-05 9:39 PM
2013-07-05 9:40 PM
in reply to: jclarke450

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by jclarke450 okay I got my days work in. I haven't commented much but Erin has been updating the spreadsheet. 4x20 hanging leg raises 3x5 wide grip pullups....slllooooww 1x8 normal grip pullups...slllooooww 3x35 situps on decline bench..owww

This looks really good.  I haven't been doing hanging leg raises, and there's no excuse for that.

Tomorrow, me + hanging leg raises.  Thanks :)

2013-07-05 10:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Day 5 just finished.

1 minute each

plank
8 count crunch/pulse/hold combo
bicycle
side leg plank
alternating b-ball push-up
plank to push-up hold
stability ball leg curl
superman
Spider-Man push-up
stability ball mixing bowl
2013-07-06 12:00 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Master

Originally posted by MSU_Brad Day 12 was completed earlier this afternoon after a quick lawn mowing. There is more beer in my not so distant future.

Why do mowing the lawn and beer go together so naturally? I'm not even a huge beer fan, but I crave one after yard work. 

2013-07-06 12:08 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Closing on 2 weeks...

Tried to get challenge done during daughter's nap, but she wouldn't nap (longest try was 3min). Since I had a run-in with my stairs last night, had to go easy after a short swim:

3x

25 stab ball crunches, 20 9lb medball crunches, 1min seated 3pt torso twist w/9lb medball

2013-07-06 4:55 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

There is no friggin' way you are nearly 40!

My thoughts exactly chris.

Well thanks guys!!  Yep, less than six months.  I'm not freaking out just yet Laughing  And seriously, I don't plan to.  It's all in the mind and I'm a youthful person.  I still get tats, go to rock shows and get in the mosh pit and watch the occasional silly show on MTV.  Now the fashions these days.....some of that stuff is just terrible.  I already lived through the 80's once!

2013-07-06 8:07 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rmwv8IHltc&feature=relmfu

Another workout from the same guy I posted yesterday. 11 of 11 for me.

2013-07-06 10:05 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
90 minute interval ride, then 10 minutes of basic core work.  It's gonna be an oven outside today...heat index 105.
2013-07-06 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

There is no friggin' way you are nearly 40!

My thoughts exactly chris.

Well thanks guys!!  Yep, less than six months.  I'm not freaking out just yet Laughing  And seriously, I don't plan to.  It's all in the mind and I'm a youthful person.  I still get tats, go to rock shows and get in the mosh pit and watch the occasional silly show on MTV.  Now the fashions these days.....some of that stuff is just terrible.  I already lived through the 80's once!

You're a great almost 40:) Agree on the 80s comeback. WTF? I'm convinced it's a conspiracy by all the gay male fashion dedigners to make us look bad.
2013-07-06 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Knocked it out by the tub again today. Kept it simple and pressure off my foot and knee: 2x 1 min stretching, 1 min "clock" work, 1min alternating leg lifts, 1min controlled core roll, 1min reverse crunches (made up names again :/)
2013-07-06 7:39 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

New user
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Knocked it out by the tub again today. Kept it simple and pressure off my foot and knee: 2x 1 min stretching, 1 min "clock" work, 1min alternating leg lifts, 1min controlled core roll, 1min reverse crunches (made up names again :/)

This is inspiring how you get your core in, nicely done!

I had a group ride this morning, fun but the two flats I had were frustrating. May be time for some new tires.

Core still to do today, enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 100d x 10m = 1 strong core Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED POSTS

MARCH ABS / CORE RESULTS

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2007-04-03 4:11 PM annie

ABS CORE - End of Week #3

Started by hazmaster
Views: 2065 Posts: 19

2007-04-03 7:41 AM saling4

MARCH ABS / CORE - 2ND WEEK!

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1733 Posts: 14

2007-03-26 4:13 PM tritwinmom

ABS / CORE MARCH CHALLENGE - TEAM LIST Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by hazmaster
Views: 10596 Posts: 121

2007-03-20 3:06 PM hazmaster

May Core Strengthening Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madkat
Views: 5610 Posts: 52

2006-06-03 2:57 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?

date : September 3, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 2
Why triathletes must absolutely warm up, activate muscles, strengthen core, and stretch effectively.
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Weight training and core strength information and links for the silver/gold plans.
date : January 30, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 0
The goal of this program is simple – for the cyclist to have IMPROVED performance when the next season rolls around, not merely to maintain last season’s fitness.

date : June 14, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 3
Top swimmers rotate the core of the body from one side to the other while keeping the head fixed. When you rotate in this way, you move through the water more like a fish, maximizing your efficiency.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 55
A strong core will allow you to keep optimal body alignment for whatever you’re doing (swim, bike or run), and this in turn will reduce your fatigue in the long run.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Manny
Train your core! The following program is designed for an in-season triathlete, can be done anywhere and with no equipment.