BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-04-03 8:22 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022
Originally posted by jmkizer

Big congratulations to Leanne on finishing the Umstead 100 in 24:02:01! Way to dooooo eeeetttt!!!!

WOW! Great job Leanne!

2022-04-03 8:26 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
I have a little change in the race weekend. I'm going to run the Klondike Canoe Race 10k run this afternoon.
2022-04-03 11:24 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Big congratulations to Leanne on finishing the Umstead 100 in 24:02:01! Way to dooooo eeeetttt!!!!

BadAZZZZZ!!! I was stoked to wake up this morning to the final text - congrats!! 

2022-04-03 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I have a little change in the race weekend. I'm going to run the Klondike Canoe Race 10k run this afternoon.

Wow! Knighthood one day, a 10k race the next! 

2022-04-04 11:25 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

It looks like Robin completed her tri And Ann-Marie finished her half marathon. I look forward to hearing about the events.

Jim is in the midst of his Knight of Sufferlandria attempt and 31 minutes ago, Leanne was at 44.35 miles of the Umstead 100. Dooo eeetttt!!!

i completed the Assault on the Carolinas. Great ride.I plan to do it again.I was really happy riding the Aspero in it. Clothing choice was challenging but I went with tights, arm warmers, vest. It was under 40 ar the start but bright and sunny with virtually no wind.it warmed up to the 50s and clouds rolled in.

well done all! Janyne I’m happy you enjoyed the Assault on the Carolinas so much and that the Aspero worked so well. You certainly had a lot of elevation over 66 miles. My quads hurt just seeing your  Strava post! And Jim my booty hurts just th8nking about all your trainer time

My HM was good. I decided early on that this would be a training run, not a race, so I decided to break the race into sections- warm Up threshold intervals with recoveries, then hold on til the finish. Plan went well as it got a great workout. The hills about killed me, but I managed a 1st AG placement. Im hoping I’ll be able to move tomorrow so I can get a bit of cycling done.

I look forward to hearing how everyone else’s events went. 

Congrats on the 1st!
I love your idea on breaking it up into chunks.
2022-04-04 3:22 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

What a major accomplishment!!  Congrats, Leanne!

2022-04-04 3:23 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella Good Job today Manatees! Knight of Sufferlandria is a long day. My legs and bottom are not pleased with me. I have the unofficial badge in my Wahoo app, but I have to wait a couple of days for the official knighting or whatever they call it.
How you didn't go mad being on a trainer all that time is beyond me and my bottom hurts thinking about it!  BIG congrats, now rest up!

2022-04-04 9:05 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
The quest to become a Knight of Sufferlandria was a long tough day. It was a great way to start my taper.

The 10k was a fast one. I had a decent time and was 5th. My legs were tired, so it was hard to hold pace. My hip flexors were not happy with me either.
2022-04-05 6:00 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella The quest to become a Knight of Sufferlandria was a long tough day. It was a great way to start my taper. The 10k was a fast one. I had a decent time and was 5th. My legs were tired, so it was hard to hold pace. My hip flexors were not happy with me either.

Way to crush the weekend, Jim!

2022-04-05 9:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by JBacarella

WOW! Great job Leanne!

Thanks so much! What a great day!
2022-04-05 9:33 AM
in reply to: marysia83

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by amd723

It looks like Robin completed her tri And Ann-Marie finished her half marathon. I look forward to hearing about the events.

Jim is in the midst of his Knight of Sufferlandria attempt and 31 minutes ago, Leanne was at 44.35 miles of the Umstead 100. Dooo eeetttt!!!

i completed the Assault on the Carolinas. Great ride.I plan to do it again.I was really happy riding the Aspero in it. Clothing choice was challenging but I went with tights, arm warmers, vest. It was under 40 ar the start but bright and sunny with virtually no wind.it warmed up to the 50s and clouds rolled in.

well done all! Janyne I’m happy you enjoyed the Assault on the Carolinas so much and that the Aspero worked so well. You certainly had a lot of elevation over 66 miles. My quads hurt just seeing your  Strava post! And Jim my booty hurts just th8nking about all your trainer time

My HM was good. I decided early on that this would be a training run, not a race, so I decided to break the race into sections- warm Up threshold intervals with recoveries, then hold on til the finish. Plan went well as it got a great workout. The hills about killed me, but I managed a 1st AG placement. Im hoping I’ll be able to move tomorrow so I can get a bit of cycling done.

I look forward to hearing how everyone else’s events went. 

Congrats on the 1st!
I love your idea on breaking it up into chunks.

First place! That awesome!!!

2022-04-05 9:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Racing Manatees!!!

April 2-3
Ann-Marie - Gateway to the Smokies half marathon on Saturday
Janyne - Assault on the Carolinas (ride) on Saturday
Leanne - Umstead 100 ultra run (follow Leanne, http://www.umstead100.org/notifications.html,Bib 131)
Robin - Escape from Fort Desoto Try on Saturday
Jim - Knight of Sufferlandria attempt

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing something else fun this weekend?

Have we come to any decisions about the Strava group(s)?  Multisport? Triathlon?

Wow! There was so much going on this past week here in the group! Way to go everyone!! So fun!
2022-04-05 9:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Ok everyone. Now that my 100 mile RUN is over, I am looking forward to starting my training for my first 100 mile bike ride of the year.

I have signed up for the Fletcher Flyer on June 2nd. I think’s about 8 weeks. Does anyone know of an eight week training plan? My timeon the bike has been limited but I feel like I have the endurance/fitness to get back into it.

Let me know your thoughts?

Thanks!
2022-04-05 9:41 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

WOW! Great job Leanne!

FANTASTIC job!!!!!
2022-04-05 9:42 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I have a little change in the race weekend. I'm going to run the Klondike Canoe Race 10k run this afternoon.

Wait... run or canoeing?? I would love to hear about the canoe race!
2022-04-05 9:43 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by JBacarella Good Job today Manatees! Knight of Sufferlandria is a long day. My legs and bottom are not pleased with me. I have the unofficial badge in my Wahoo app, but I have to wait a couple of days for the official knighting or whatever they call it.
How you didn't go mad being on a trainer all that time is beyond me and my bottom hurts thinking about it!  BIG congrats, now rest up!

haha these are my thoughts too!

2022-04-05 9:44 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by canadarn2001

Racing Manatees!!!

April 2-3
Ann-Marie - Gateway to the Smokies half marathon on Saturday
Janyne - Assault on the Carolinas (ride) on Saturday
Leanne - Umstead 100 ultra run (follow Leanne, http://www.umstead100.org/notifications.html,Bib 131)
Robin - Escape from Fort Desoto Try on Saturday
Jim - Knight of Sufferlandria attempt

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing something else fun this weekend?

Have we come to any decisions about the Strava group(s)?  Multisport? Triathlon?

Wow! There was so much going on this past week here in the group! Way to go everyone!! So fun!

I really love thet (in person) racing is back, and the weekends are now packed with racers )))
2022-04-05 9:50 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Ok everyone. Now that my 100 mile RUN is over, I am looking forward to starting my training for my first 100 mile bike ride of the year.

I have signed up for the Fletcher Flyer on June 2nd. I think’s about 8 weeks. Does anyone know of an eight week training plan? My timeon the bike has been limited but I feel like I have the endurance/fitness to get back into it.

Thanks!

Maybe we can motivate one another? haha because I am signing up for a Day 1 of Ride the Rockies on June 11. It's "only" 80 miles (comparing to your 100), but most of it is climbing, so it will definitely feel more like a 1,000....

To answer your question, I do not have a plan. I have not been biking since December, so for starters I want to basically start biking... I will do lunch rides during the week (depending on how much time I have during the day, but aiming for an hour). The routes in my neighborhood are flat, so for a weekend I plan to do mountain biking ride uphills (to train my legs with climbing) on Saturdays, and then do long rides on Sundays (even if it's flat - but riding on the tired legs from Saturday, and training my body to be on the bike for 3+ hours).

Not sure if that helps, I am looking forward to advice from more experienced riders here
2022-04-05 6:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

I ran the 10k running race on Sunday. On Saturday they hold the Canoe Race. I don't race canoes, it's too expensive (haha says the triathlete). It does mark the official start of the professional canoe racing season. The 5/10k races are on a former Air Force base and is a fund raiser for the Klondike Canoe Race. That is where the really awkward name come from.
The big race in the Summer, the AuSable Canoe Marathon has a whole week of racing at several different distances. It's one of the biggest race weeks for canoeing. They had a corresponding fund raiser which was a 100 mile bike ride that followed the canoe course. The group that ran it cut it to a single loop around the city the canoe marathon starts.

Edited by JBacarella 2022-04-05 7:05 PM
2022-04-05 7:13 PM

User image

NAME: Scot

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, of course. twitter @scoty67, strava, you will have to find me Scot Hendren, I am on insta, but not very often

STORY: Many years ago I was into cycling with the idea of giving tri a try. Fast forward I got out of cycling until fall of 2019 and decided to buy another bike. It was kinda late in the season and most organized rides were shutting down so I bought some running shoes and started running. I bought a garmin tri watch off marketplace and the fella I bought it off of introduced me to a local tri club. I joined and started training some. I competed in my first sprint and loved, though I can barely swim. This past year I entered an Oly and again loved it though my time was worse than horrible. I still can't swim very good. I just finished a half marathon last weekend with a time of 2.00:36. I will be competing in my first full marathon this coming weekend. Then I will start training for Memphis 70.3

FAMILY STATUS: Married and custody of our 4 yo grandson, puts a kink in my training. BTW I just turned 55

CURRENT TRAINING: taper for an upcoming marathon, then I will start training for a 70.3

THIS YEARS RACES: April 2 Bentonville Half Marathon, April 9 Hogeye marathon, Oct 1 Memphis 70.3, November Tulsa Marathon

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: to learn more about the sport, about myself, and my abilities

WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MANATEE: I will ask questions.....lots of questions and soak up knowledge like a sponge.

A couple more things about me. I recently became a licensed official with USA Cycling, I have a pretty cool story about my olympic tri

2022-04-05 7:57 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I ran the 10k running race on Sunday. On Saturday they hold the Canoe Race. I don't race canoes, it's too expensive (haha says the triathlete). It does mark the official start of the professional canoe racing season. The 5/10k races are on a former Air Force base and is a fund raiser for the Klondike Canoe Race. That is where the really awkward name come from.
The big race in the Summer, the AuSable Canoe Marathon has a whole week of racing at several different distances. It's one of the biggest race weeks for canoeing. They had a corresponding fund raiser which was a 100 mile bike ride that followed the canoe course. The group that ran it cut it to a single loop around the city the canoe marathon starts.

Oh, wow! That actually sounds really interesting!

2022-04-06 4:57 AM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Thanks!

Maybe we can motivate one another? haha because I am signing up for a Day 1 of Ride the Rockies on June 11. It's "only" 80 miles (comparing to your 100), but most of it is climbing, so it will definitely feel more like a 1,000....

To answer your question, I do not have a plan. I have not been biking since December, so for starters I want to basically start biking... I will do lunch rides during the week (depending on how much time I have during the day, but aiming for an hour). The routes in my neighborhood are flat, so for a weekend I plan to do mountain biking ride uphills (to train my legs with climbing) on Saturdays, and then do long rides on Sundays (even if it's flat - but riding on the tired legs from Saturday, and training my body to be on the bike for 3+ hours).

Not sure if that helps, I am looking forward to advice from more experienced riders here

Marysia...this sounds like I great idea. I was surfing the net yesterday and found a few plans. There is one I am going to try but it pretty much is just a 'distance' suggestion. But I think like you I just need to get out on my bike. I have a gravel bike, Fat bike and recently just go a new tri bike (which I have not even been on) so I have the equipment to get me motivated. I am also lucky because I have quite a few girlfriends who like to ride. I guess you and I are 'on the same' training schedule!

Edited by canadarn2001 2022-04-06 4:57 AM
2022-04-06 8:25 AM
in reply to: scoty

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by scoty NAME: Scot OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, of course. twitter @scoty67, strava, you will have to find me Scot Hendren, I am on insta, but not very often STORY: Many years ago I was into cycling with the idea of giving tri a try. Fast forward I got out of cycling until fall of 2019 and decided to buy another bike. It was kinda late in the season and most organized rides were shutting down so I bought some running shoes and started running. I bought a garmin tri watch off marketplace and the fella I bought it off of introduced me to a local tri club. I joined and started training some. I competed in my first sprint and loved, though I can barely swim. This past year I entered an Oly and again loved it though my time was worse than horrible. I still can't swim very good. I just finished a half marathon last weekend with a time of 2.00:36. I will be competing in my first full marathon this coming weekend. Then I will start training for Memphis 70.3 FAMILY STATUS: Married and custody of our 4 yo grandson, puts a kink in my training. BTW I just turned 55 CURRENT TRAINING: taper for an upcoming marathon, then I will start training for a 70.3 THIS YEARS RACES: April 2 Bentonville Half Marathon, April 9 Hogeye marathon, Oct 1 Memphis 70.3, November Tulsa Marathon GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: to learn more about the sport, about myself, and my abilities WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MANATEE: I will ask questions.....lots of questions and soak up knowledge like a sponge. A couple more things about me. I recently became a licensed official with USA Cycling, I have a pretty cool story about my olympic tri

Hi Scot, and welcome!!  There are a lot of folks here that have a lot of experience and will gladly help with any questions you ask.  Congrats on your half marathon, that's either impressive or crazy that you are doing back to back [weekend] races, half marathon and marathon!

2022-04-06 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I have a little change in the race weekend. I'm going to run the Klondike Canoe Race 10k run this afternoon.
I ran the 10k running race on Sunday. On Saturday they hold the Canoe Race. I don't race canoes, it's too expensive (haha says the triathlete). It does mark the official start of the professional canoe racing season. The 5/10k races are on a former Air Force base and is a fund raiser for the Klondike Canoe Race. That is where the really awkward name come from. The big race in the Summer, the AuSable Canoe Marathon has a whole week of racing at several different distances. It's one of the biggest race weeks for canoeing. They had a corresponding fund raiser which was a 100 mile bike ride that followed the canoe course. The group that ran it cut it to a single loop around the city the canoe marathon starts.

I'll be the tee shirt for the 5k and 10k is awesome! What a conversation piece!

2022-04-06 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Ok everyone. Now that my 100 mile RUN is over, I am looking forward to starting my training for my first 100 mile bike ride of the year. I have signed up for the Fletcher Flyer on June 2nd. I think’s about 8 weeks. Does anyone know of an eight week training plan? My timeon the bike has been limited but I feel like I have the endurance/fitness to get back into it. Let me know your thoughts? Thanks!

Leanne, what event are you looking at for the 100 mile ride?  There's a big difference between 100 mile rides like Bike MS in New Bern or Reach the Beach from Lillington to Wilmington and riding 100 miles in Hot Doggett

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 29136 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93