BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-08-06 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2331729

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
swbkrun - 2009-08-06 8:58 AM My email to those guys...

Subject: Seriously!

Body: You guys are IDIOTS.... EMBARRASSING!

They replied to me....

Thank you for your email.  While I appreciate your concerns, I have to

Object to your accusation that Deminski & Doyle encouraged listeners to

Throw things at cyclists.  Quite the opposite, they were surprised that

a law to prohibit this behavior had to be enacted, since it should be

Obvious that it's unacceptable.  Obviously, they are outspoken and have

Very strong opinions about their experience with cyclists in the Detroit

Area, and those experiences have been negative.  We welcome your

Comments and the debate that their remarks sparked.  I expect that they

will continue this conversation, and I invite you to call in to express

Your views.

Director Of Programming

Doug Podell

Edited by swbkrun 2009-08-06 5:41 PM

2009-08-06 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Situp challenge week 1 day 2 = 174 situps
60 seconds of leg lifts
40 twisting crunches.
2009-08-06 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Alright, I finished my workout.  Here are the details:

Time:  1 hr. 49 min
Dist:  10.95 miles
Avg HR:  157
Temp:  90 degrees
Humid:  45% - thank god
Hydration:  4 bottle Fuelbelt - 2 GE, 2 Water - finished all 4
Nutrition:  3 hrs before - Oatmeal, Strawberry Banana GU @ mile 5.5

Overall I am not too disappointed.  I am taking into consideration being on my feet from 6:00am - 5:00 pm today at work, then running.  My legs are pretty fatigued.  I am hoping the hills I run during all of my runs pay off in Augusta since word on the street is it is a pancake flat course.  My goal for my HIM is 2 hours.  I don't know if that is possible, but I still feel pretty confident my under 6 total is reachable.  Chocolate milk is yummy!
2009-08-06 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2333130

User image

Pro
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-08-06 5:33 PM Alright, I finished my workout.  Here are the details:

Overall I am not too disappointed.  I am taking into consideration being on my feet from 6:00am - 5:00 pm today at work, then running.  My legs are pretty fatigued.  I am hoping the hills I run during all of my runs pay off in Augusta since word on the street is it is a pancake flat course.  My goal for my HIM is 2 hours.  I don't know if that is possible, but I still feel pretty confident my under 6 total is reachable.  Chocolate milk is yummy!

AWESOME JOB!!!
2009-08-06 8:18 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-08-06 7:33 PM Alright, I finished my workout.  Here are the details:

Really nice job!  Not sure how you did it in that heat, especially after fatigue from working all day long. Impressive.

One thing, be careful in the translation from hills to flat.  Running on a pancake flat course is really hard on you versus rollers. You are using the exact same muscles for 13.1m.  If you are not used to it, try doing a couple runs on pancake flat courses if you have them in your area!
2009-08-06 8:26 PM

User image

Champion
OWS class went much better tonight.  No freaking out, siting was better and I did the distance.  Guess is about 3000 yards give or take.  Biggest lesson I learned is not being in the OW for over two weeks for this newbie isn't smart.  Back to my normal Tuesday-Thursday class from now until the HIM!

PS the other thing that kept going through my head as I was finishing up is "My God, I have to swim 2.4m next year.  I gotta get it together"! 

2009-08-06 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2333212

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
SSMinnow - 2009-08-06 9:26 PM OWS class went much better tonight.  No freaking out, siting was better and I did the distance.  Guess is about 3000 yards give or take.  Biggest lesson I learned is not being in the OW for over two weeks for this newbie isn't smart.  Back to my normal Tuesday-Thursday class from now until the HIM!

PS the other thing that kept going through my head as I was finishing up is "My God, I have to swim 2.4m next year.  I gotta get it together"! 

Good job with OWS.  3K is a long way.  Isn't 2.4 just another 1200 on top of the 3K?  You can handle it.  Thanks for the advice regarding the flat vs. hilly areas.  Unfortunatley I don't have too many flat sections unless I cut my distance in half and just down about 20 out and backs.  I'll have to check around and see what I can find. 
2009-08-06 9:52 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Jeepguy2358 - 2009-08-06 7:33 PM Alright, I finished my workout.  Here are the details:

Very Nice!  Good workout. 

2009-08-06 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Great job Chris!  I am going to do mine Saturday morning with the running group.  Looks like you got your hydration and nutrition down.  The flats are going to be sweet in Augusta.
2009-08-06 10:20 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2009-08-06 8:26 PM OWS class went much better tonight.  No freaking out, siting was better and I did the distance.  Guess is about 3000 yards give or take.  Biggest lesson I learned is not being in the OW for over two weeks for this newbie isn't smart.  Back to my normal Tuesday-Thursday class from now until the HIM!

Great job Suzy.  3000 yards is a good haul!  Your little 1.2 mile swim will be a piece of cake.
2009-08-06 11:04 PM

User image

Pro
SSMinnow - 2009-08-06 6:26 PM OWS class went much better tonight.  No freaking out, siting was better and I did the distance.  Guess is about 3000 yards give or take.  Biggest lesson I learned is not being in the OW for over two weeks for this newbie isn't smart.  Back to my normal Tuesday-Thursday class from now until the HIM!

Why am I not surprised you went yard on this swim!!! Great job! 

2009-08-07 6:38 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Quick question - During the last two months of HIM training, do you really all of a sudden get stronger in all events from the increased time?  I know the last week is taper, but I just really want to get stronger on my bike to make the run easier.  I am wondering if I should swap a swim workout for an additional bike workout?  I am thinking some hill training, but don't want to put so much stress on my body that it affects other workouts.  I am following my plan and feel confident it will get me the through the distance.  I just want to be faster and stronger.

2009-08-07 7:04 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2009-08-06 8:26 PM OWS class went much better tonight.  No freaking out, siting was better and I did the distance.  Guess is about 3000 yards give or take.  Biggest lesson I learned is not being in the OW for over two weeks for this newbie isn't smart.  Back to my normal Tuesday-Thursday class from now until the HIM!

I had that thought in my head at Mooseman when I was halfway through the swim thinking OMG what would I do if this was 2.4 miles.  UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-07 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2333590

User image

Champion
marietta
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-08-07 6:38 AM

Quick question - Short answer...you have a plan, stick with it.  Long answer.... read on.

During the last two months of HIM training, do you really all of a sudden get stronger in all events from the increased time?

I can see where you're coming from, I think, because you are hitting the peak hours of training hence significant gains.  But I would say no this isn't accurate because it sells the previous months of training short and that foundation is critical.  A good example of this may be my bike training or lack there of and look at my HIM results.

I know the last week is taper, but I just really want to get stronger on my bike to make the run easier. 

A stronger bike does not necessarily make the run easier.  You can always go harder on the run. 

I am wondering if I should swap a swim workout for an additional bike workout? 

First lets look at your swim. I'm a big believer in making sure you swim the race distance at least once but preferably a few more times.  Especially this distance. Does your plan have you going 1.2 continuous again and are you planning on doing this in open water?  The long swim workouts I see in your log are 13 & 15 July.  I would want at least two more preferably in open water before race day.   Knowing how busy your schedule is it would seem that you would have to swap out a long swim day for a ride, not a shorter swim day which would play into your schedule.    

I am thinking some hill training, but don't want to put so much stress on my body that it affects other workouts.  I am following my plan and feel confident it will get me the through the distance. 

I'd just be hesitant adjusting the plan now if all three disciplines are in good shape. If your were weaker somewhere then yes you might want to think about it.  Your first goal of the day should be to get the distance done.  From your logs and your recent post's it seems like you are nailing the challenging workouts.  I hold a lot of stock in that and therefore would remain right where your are.  Confidence is key.  

And since I don't see you on the Lone Star list, you can also use what you are learning about yourself now as far as training goes when planning for a our late season HIM next year.  Winner buys the beer.  Miller Lite will be fine. 

I just want to be faster and stronger.

Don't we all....

just my .02

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-08-07 8:45 AM
2009-08-07 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2333796

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-07 8:39 AM Jeepguy2358 - 2009-08-07 6:38 AM

Quick question - Short answer...you have a plan, stick with it.  Long answer.... read on.

During the last two months of HIM training, do you really all of a sudden get stronger in all events from the increased time?

I can see where you're coming from, I think, because you are hitting the peak hours of training hence significant gains.  But I would say no this isn't accurate because it sells the previous months of training short and that foundation is critical.  A good example of this may be my bike training or lack there of and look at my HIM results.

I know the last week is taper, but I just really want to get stronger on my bike to make the run easier. 

A stronger bike does not necessarily make the run easier.  You can always go harder on the run. 

I am wondering if I should swap a swim workout for an additional bike workout? 

First lets look at your swim. I'm a big believer in making sure you swim the race distance at least once but preferably a few more times.  Especially this distance. Does your plan have you going 1.2 continuous again and are you planning on doing this in open water?  The long swim workouts I see in your log are 13 & 15 July.  I would want at least two more preferably in open water before race day.   Knowing how busy your schedule is it would seem that you would have to swap out a long swim day for a ride, not a shorter swim day which would play into your schedule.    

I am thinking some hill training, but don't want to put so much stress on my body that it affects other workouts.  I am following my plan and feel confident it will get me the through the distance. 

I'd just be hesitant adjusting the plan now if all three disciplines are in good shape. If your were weaker somewhere then yes you might want to think about it.  Your first goal of the day should be to get the distance done.  From your logs and your recent post's it seems like you are nailing the challenging workouts.  I hold a lot of stock in that and therefore would remain right where your are.  Confidence is key.  

And since I don't see you on the Lone Star list, you can also use what you are learning about yourself now as far as training goes when planning for a our late season HIM next year.  Winner buys the beer.  Miller Lite will be fine. 

I just want to be faster and stronger.

Don't we all....

just my .02

Hey Chris

Since I am training for my first HIM, I don't have the experience of the race to answer your questions, but as someone who has done endurance training for several years and reads a ton let me give my POV:

1. Stronger doesn't necessarily mean faster.  As I progressed in marathon training, I went from running 20m long runs up to 26m long runs.  That jump gave me the strength in the marathon, but ultimately due to MP training, my speed was the same.  I just felt a heck of a lot better at the end because my mitochondria was more developed and could handle the distance better.

2. Agree with John,  knocking out a fast bike split won't necessarily make your run any easier.  If you look at AG'ers who have very fast bike splits in IM, their runs often stink.  Why? Because they pushed too hard.  This weekend, I am purposely controlling my bike pacing to Z3 and the reason behind it is I want a stronger run off the bike.  Typically I am a hammer head around Z4/5, get off the bike and want to die. .  If you don't leave something for the run, it won't matter how fast you were on your bike.

3. Re: Hill training.  What is the course like?  I think you said flat, right? If so, hills will build strength, but Tempo rides/runs on the flats might make more sense.  I'm doing a lot of hill training right now and it is tough on the body for both biking and running.  MY HIM course has a moderately hill bike and a ridiculously hilly run so I need to get used to it asap.  Specificity is the name of the game for me.

4. Once again, I agree with John.  We all want to be fast and strong and sexy (oops got carried away), but it takes time.  Do it too early and risk injury and burn out.  You are a busy guy so give it until Lonestar before you bust out. Ok?
2009-08-07 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2333881

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-08-07 9:18 AM

4. Once again, I agree with John.  We all want to be fast and strong and sexy (oops got carried away), but it takes time.  Do it too early and risk injury and burn out.  You are a busy guy so give it until Lonestar before you bust out. Ok?

she crossed that out becasue she's already got that part covered.

2009-08-07 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2333590

User image

Expert
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-08-07 6:38 AM

Quick question - During the last two months of HIM training, do you really all of a sudden get stronger in all events from the increased time?  I know the last week is taper, but I just really want to get stronger on my bike to make the run easier.  I am wondering if I should swap a swim workout for an additional bike workout?  I am thinking some hill training, but don't want to put so much stress on my body that it affects other workouts.  I am following my plan and feel confident it will get me the through the distance.  I just want to be faster and stronger.

I agree w/ what Suzy and John said.  I did my first HIM in June.  I think the best way to get faster is to keep training.  There is no substitute for miles and miles of training to build up endurance.  Race specific to Mooseman, I felt like I got stronger overall but not necessarily faster in any one discipline.  Sometimes I think maybe I lost a little speed on each but was able to chug along like the little pink bunny.
2009-08-07 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

I think I had one of those BREAKTHRU workouts last night.   I got in from a trip a little tired, but wanted to get my key workout in for the week.  Rode the bike to the pool to do a 30 min 1500 m swim, hour on the bike...19m, and then home to run.  Was planning on a 6 mile run, and felt awsome starting off.  My legs felt great on the bike and starting the run, I thought I was going to be able to have a great run, but about mile 2 I started to develop a bad blister on the inside of my arch from my new shoes so I cut it short to 3 miles.

Why does this happen?  Same thing happened when i bought the last pair (Brooks).  I am having to get stability shoes, and I am wondering if the "post" on the inside is what is causing it.  The blister comes up toward the front inside of the arch.  Last night it felt like a knife on the way home.  Maybe I am just a wuss.

2009-08-07 10:25 AM

User image

Pro
Chris I agree with everyone for the most part.... However, if your bike is your weak spot, then tackle it.  If you look at my training logs over the last couple months you will see that I have almost forgot about the swimming aspect.  This is due to the fact that I am "OK" there.  I want to develop my biking muscles so I have spent more time in the saddle doing both long(er) rides, and hill repeats (most of our races are hilly).  There is a HUGE difference in pacing, nutrition, and the mental game when it comes to a 1/2 Ironman.  I would be sure to focus on distance not speed right now.  Like everyone said speed comes with time.  After doing several 1/2's and a couple full Ironman's I can go out and push my pace because I know what to expect both from my body and mind.  Don't rush into these things, and don't get discouraged.  Continue to get your workouts in, and learn from both the good and BAD!  It will all come together on race day AS LONG AS YOU ARE SMART AND PATIENT!!!

Barry--- Weird about the shoes.  In my opinion a GOOD SHOE, shouldn't need to be BROKEN IN..... You should be good to go from your 1st run.  I would maybe thing about another pair of shoes, or orthodics if the problem persist!?
2009-08-07 11:13 AM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
Karen, I'm sure there's some good dirt track racing around here this weekend - come on over and do the Columbus tri again and head to the races saturday night.  Ignore that - I just checked the local schedules.

Chris, nice run.  Very impressive after a long work day.

Suzy, IMO, you being the little energizer bunny you are, if you can knock out 3k another 1200 shouldn't be a problem.

I've got a little problem...I hurt my knee (actually the bottom of the quad) last night in my softball game sliding into home (stupid slide rule).  So today is all about getting that quad going for tomorrow.  I planned a short, easy ride for after the game, but the quad was hurting too much then for a ride.
2009-08-07 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Only 5 weesk to the HIM

2009-08-07 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2334099

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2009-08-07 10:25 AM Chris I agree with everyone for the most part.... However, if your bike is your weak spot, then tackle it.  If you look at my training logs over the last couple months you will see that I have almost forgot about the swimming aspect.  This is due to the fact that I am "OK" there.  I want to develop my biking muscles so I have spent more time in the saddle doing both long(er) rides, and hill repeats (most of our races are hilly).  There is a HUGE difference in pacing, nutrition, and the mental game when it comes to a 1/2 Ironman.  I would be sure to focus on distance not speed right now.  Like everyone said speed comes with time.  After doing several 1/2's and a couple full Ironman's I can go out and push my pace because I know what to expect both from my body and mind.  Don't rush into these things, and don't get discouraged.  Continue to get your workouts in, and learn from both the good and BAD!  It will all come together on race day AS LONG AS YOU ARE SMART AND PATIENT!!!

Barry--- Weird about the shoes.  In my opinion a GOOD SHOE, shouldn't need to be BROKEN IN..... You should be good to go from your 1st run.  I would maybe thing about another pair of shoes, or orthodics if the problem persist!?

This makes a lot of sense to me.   My only thought would be with 6 weeks to go you might be able to make some gains, but the off season would be the best place to tackle it.  Since I am a reasonable runner, I have really dialed it back in favor of swimming and biking.  It comes with a cost though,  I am a slower runner, but presumably a better triathlete.  I can live with that for now.

I aslo agree with Steve on the nutrition. You can squeak by with poor execution in a Sprint and maybe an Oly, but no way no how in a HIM or longer.  It is a top priority for me (see my short term goals) from her until September.  I'm better, but definitely do NOT have it nailed.  I don't want to be a shuffler in my race.

All of the people in my swim class were trying to get me to spit out a time goal for this weekend and the HIM.  I refuse to think about it.  Given this is my first real year, I am all about learning and good execution.  It makes my life a lot easier!

PS John your compliment is greatly appreciated, but highly exaggerated!
2009-08-07 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2334331

User image

Pro
Redknight - 2009-08-07 9:53 AM

Only 5 weesk to the HIM

H.E DOUBLE "L" YEAH!!!!
2009-08-07 12:54 PM

User image

Expert

Good Luck to all racers this weekend!!!!!!!!

KICK SOME A$S!

2009-08-07 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2334231

User image

Champion
BigReub - 2009-08-07 11:13 AM Karen, I'm sure there's some good dirt track racing around here this weekend - come on over and do the Columbus tri again and head to the races saturday night.  Ignore that - I just checked the local schedules.

Chris, nice run.  Very impressive after a long work day.

Suzy, IMO, you being the little energizer bunny you are, if you can knock out 3k another 1200 shouldn't be a problem.

I've got a little problem...I hurt my knee (actually the bottom of the quad) last night in my softball game sliding into home (stupid slide rule).  So today is all about getting that quad going for tomorrow.  I planned a short, easy ride for after the game, but the quad was hurting too much then for a ride.

Thanks Reuben.  There is a 1.2 and 2.4m swim race in Madison on 8/22 and I am thinking of entering it.  It is highly competitive and there are elite non wetsuit categories full of amazing swimmers and more amazing triathletes.  It is done on the IM WI Course so it was be a great learning experience.  Need to make sure we are in town that weekend and of course get special permission from the coach

About the knee,  it is at the attachment quad to the patella? is it painful to walk?  Don't want to make a big issue of it, but knee tweaks also scare me a little.  Those tendons/muscles provide so much stability and hurting one can cause all sorts of upper and lower body issues if not healed properly.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383