BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-08-07 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2335166

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
gadgetlaw - 2009-08-07 7:13 PM
BigReub - 2009-08-07 12:13 PM Karen, I'm sure there's some good dirt track racing around here this weekend - come on over and do the Columbus tri again and head to the races saturday night.  Ignore that - I just checked the local schedules.

Chris, nice run.  Very impressive after a long work day.

Suzy, IMO, you being the little energizer bunny you are, if you can knock out 3k another 1200 shouldn't be a problem.

I've got a little problem...I hurt my knee (actually the bottom of the quad) last night in my softball game sliding into home (stupid slide rule).  So today is all about getting that quad going for tomorrow.  I planned a short, easy ride for after the game, but the quad was hurting too much then for a ride.

I so wish we could come over for the race!!  It's not something that would normally be out of the question for us!!  We saw the Iowa Cubs in Des Moines when we went to Knoxville for the Nationals (like I said, we'll go anywhere for a good race!).  I am sure they will be great to see at Wrigley!!  Next month we are going to Silver Dollar Speedway to see the World of Outlaws.  Where is that you ask?  Yeah, it's in California!  Like I said, anywhere for a good race!!!

As I said it would not NORMALLY be out of the question, but I am afraid it is this weekend.  That is because the last day has sucked!!  Actually, I ended up in the emergency room last night.  How can everything go wrong at once??  I had a kidney stone (which passed), a UTI from the stone, and I have gall stones!!!  Surprised  My gall bladder is not infected or inflamed or anything, so they are not going to do anything about the stones now.  I am still in some pain, but not nearly as bad as yesterday!!  Of course, I did come home with some vicodin and something for nausea.  Not exactly the way I wanted a day off work today!  I didn't even go to the track tonight.

Good luck at the race, take it easy on your knee!

Thanks for the tips on the belts everyone.  I will pick one and send the link to my MIL.  Maybe the Fuelbelt Helium becaue it comes in pinkKiss

Suzy - thanks for the other suggestions.  You do have great ideas!  The In Laws got me the Profile Design AquaCell for Christmas and I really like it.  I so wish I could find a swim coach, because I would take that wouldn't want anything else!  How do you find a swim coach?? I could use a new pair of goggles, I think I will tell her that too!  Any other ideas?

Good luck to every one racing!

Karen

So sorry to hear about the emergency room trip.  I've had 2 gall bladder attacks.  They are awful. 
Here is my rating scale for pain.

Worst Pain Ever:
1. gall bladder attack
2. infected wisdom tooth
3. labor (no drugs)

the first 2 brought me to tears.  I had mine out.  No more problems.  :-)

2009-08-07 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Sit Up Challenge

Week 1 Day 2
30, 38, 23, 23, 50 = 164 total
2009-08-07 8:58 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
gadgetlaw - 2009-08-07 7:13 PM
BigReub - 2009-08-07 12:13 PM Karen, I'm sure there's some good dirt track racing around here this weekend - come on over and do the Columbus tri again and head to the races saturday night.  Ignore that - I just checked the local schedules.

Chris, nice run.  Very impressive after a long work day.

Suzy, IMO, you being the little energizer bunny you are, if you can knock out 3k another 1200 shouldn't be a problem.

I've got a little problem...I hurt my knee (actually the bottom of the quad) last night in my softball game sliding into home (stupid slide rule).  So today is all about getting that quad going for tomorrow.  I planned a short, easy ride for after the game, but the quad was hurting too much then for a ride.

I so wish we could come over for the race!!  It's not something that would normally be out of the question for us!!  We saw the Iowa Cubs in Des Moines when we went to Knoxville for the Nationals (like I said, we'll go anywhere for a good race!).  I am sure they will be great to see at Wrigley!!  Next month we are going to Silver Dollar Speedway to see the World of Outlaws.  Where is that you ask?  Yeah, it's in California!  Like I said, anywhere for a good race!!!

As I said it would not NORMALLY be out of the question, but I am afraid it is this weekend.  That is because the last day has sucked!!  Actually, I ended up in the emergency room last night.  How can everything go wrong at once??  I had a kidney stone (which passed), a UTI from the stone, and I have gall stones!!!  Surprised  My gall bladder is not infected or inflamed or anything, so they are not going to do anything about the stones now.  I am still in some pain, but not nearly as bad as yesterday!!  Of course, I did come home with some vicodin and something for nausea.  Not exactly the way I wanted a day off work today!  I didn't even go to the track tonight.

Thanks for the tips on the belts everyone.  I will pick one and send the link to my MIL.  Maybe the Fuelbelt Helium becaue it comes in pinkKiss

Suzy - thanks for the other suggestions.  You do have great ideas!  The In Laws got me the Profile Design AquaCell for Christmas and I really like it.  I so wish I could find a swim coach, because I would take that wouldn't want anything else!  How do you find a swim coach?? I could use a new pair of goggles, I think I will tell her that too!  Any other ideas?

Karen

Hi Karen

First, feel better soon!  What a rotten way to spend a day off!

Is there a tri club in your area? or do you swim with other triathletes at your pool?  I think the best way to find a coach is to ask around and see who other people use.  One other thought might be to check to see who teaches Masters Classes.  They often also do private or group lessons.  I like using a coach who works with triathletes more than straight swimmers, but it may not make a difference to you.

Suzy
2009-08-07 9:38 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Week 1 Day 3

Push Ups 11-15-9-9-15

Sit Ups 17-22-14-14-14  didn't get minimum on last set

My core is apparently made up of a soft goey substance...put me on a stick and put over a campfire...

2009-08-08 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2335343

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
ashort33 - 2009-08-07 10:38 PM

Week 1 Day 3

Push Ups 11-15-9-9-15

Sit Ups 17-22-14-14-14  didn't get minimum on last set

My core is apparently made up of a soft goey substance...put me on a stick and put over a campfire...

mmm smores...

Barry, You are doing Augusta this year right?  Is it supposed to be wetsuit legal?

I was looking for a late season 1/2 next year and that is perfect timing for me.
2009-08-08 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2335081

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
swbkrun - 2009-08-07 3:28 PM
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-07 11:48 AM
TrevorC - 2009-08-07 1:45 PM Busy weekend coming up.
Tonight the parents are coming into town. We start our softball finals tonight. Play tonight at 6pm, tomorrow 8am. Then need to run and pickup race pack for the sunday run. Then head home, get ready to head to in-laws for our daughters 4th birthday. She's going to have pony rides. In-laws have an acreage with a bunch of horses, and here great-grandpa bought her a minature horse before he passed away. Then head home, gets the kids off their post-birthday cake sugar rush. Sunday wake up head to the run with the family!!! Sunday afternoon..............RELAX 

SWEET!!! Two SWBKRUN Rugrat birthday parties this weekend.  Jack's 4th as well.

You guys are mistaken.... My birthday is on Monday... Not this weekend...

Happy Birthday Steve!

2009-08-08 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
Ohh noooooo!  My tri tomorrow was just deemed NOT Wetsuit Legal!

This will be bad.
2009-08-08 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
gadgetlaw - 2009-08-07 5:13 PM

Karen

I'm sorry about the health issues Karen. Gallstones are extremely painful, and then a kidney stone and ITU on top of it... I can't even imagine. I had my gallbladder removed when I was 20 because it was full of stones. One attack literally had me curled up in a ball on the floor it hurt so much. The good thing is the surgery to remove it isn't too bad. Very small incisions, a day in the hospital, and a couple weeks recovery. Hopefully, you don't have to go that route, but it really was much better to me than being sick and having the pain. Hope you feel better soon!
2009-08-08 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2335638

User image

Champion
JHagerman - 2009-08-08 9:35 AM Ohh noooooo!  My tri tomorrow was just deemed NOT Wetsuit Legal!

This will be bad.

That is my biggest fear!!  Sometimes RD's will let participants use wetsuits if they forgo awards.  As this stage of the game tha would be the route I would have to go.  If they didn't offer it, I wouldn't be doing it.  Just not confident in OW without the suit this year.  Good luck tomorrow.
2009-08-08 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2335638

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
JHagerman - 2009-08-08 7:35 AM Ohh noooooo!  My tri tomorrow was just deemed NOT Wetsuit Legal!

This will be bad.

You can do it Jeremy! Besides any time you might lose on the swim you'll easily make up on the bike and run, speedy! Have a great race tomorrow!!!

If you can... get a short OWS in today without the wetsuit to get a feel for it.

Edited by roni_runnw 2009-08-08 9:50 AM
2009-08-08 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

2009-08-08 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2335655

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2009-08-08 9:46 AM
JHagerman - 2009-08-08 9:35 AM Ohh noooooo!  My tri tomorrow was just deemed NOT Wetsuit Legal!

This will be bad.

That is my biggest fear!!  Sometimes RD's will let participants use wetsuits if they forgo awards.  As this stage of the game tha would be the route I would have to go.  If they didn't offer it, I wouldn't be doing it.  Just not confident in OW without the suit this year.  Good luck tomorrow.

Jeremy

Here is the USTA rule I was talking about:

. Wetsuits: Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wetsuit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wetsuit at their own discretion, provided, however that participants who wears a wetsuit within such temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Above 84 degrees, wetsuits are prohibited.
2009-08-08 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Hey Gang...

Should we take some guesses on how old Steve will be on Monday? and see how closely that matches how old he acts?

Happy Birthday Birdie!

Birthday Candles

2009-08-08 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
JHagerman! Ack!!!

I would be soooo slow without the wetsuit!

Godspeed to you.  I also know of the rule where you can wear it but you would not get recognized.  Maybe that's your choice?

eep - my heart goes out to you.

dbw27
2009-08-08 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Hey, I wanted to ask you guys about something.  I am pretty upset.  I managed to drag my super depressed butt out to a brick this morning with my team.  Towards the end of the 25 mile bike, one of our much more experienced cyclists (she acts kind of like an assistant coach - she even used to be on a swim team and a lifeguard - one of the only "real" swimmers in our group) - anyway, a big dog came out and ran flat dab into her tire.  Another person was able to break right.  The person behind her almost hit her.  When I pulled up, 911 was on its way.  The owners of the dog (the dog had a leash but no owner with it obviously) were there and the dog was barking at her.  The owners did not seem too concerned and actually made a fast get away.  I was pissed.

Anyway, two people went with her to the hospital.  We went back to our cars.  I thought, "well okay - brick over."  I was pretty upset.  In fact, I was almost ready to break down crying at the scene. The girl that got hit is really wonderful - very encouraging to all - telling everyone to make sure that we are always mentally cheering ourselves on.  I mean she is great.

However, when we got back, the head coach said we were now going to go on our run.  And that she was complaining saying that is why she is always careful and really scopes out her scene.  She made me mad! As if our teammate could do anything about the dog suddenly running out and hitting her, while she was in the mix with other bikers.  Argh!  Then, she also tried to persuade someone else NOT to go to the hospital.  (At that point only one person had gone).  That guy said, "I told her I would go." and he also looked pretty upset.

I could not believe we were going to then do the six mile run.  I went a few yards, and then turned back around.  I got in my car and realized I was so upset that I drove to the hospital too.  By the time I got there, her mom was there and I stayed a little while and she thanked me for coming bla bla..and the other guys went to go pick up her car.

Anyway, I am still upset, but I am also not liking our coach right now.  I mean, why keep going after that?  We witnessed our teammate being strapped to the backboard and being carried away.  We had to figure out how to take care of her bike, etc.  It was just soooo upsetting.  I bike with a cycling team once in a while and they would have NEVER kept going with their workout.  We had one guy once get a flat on a very fast steep descent suffer a broken leg.  After the ambulance got there, the cycling team coach sent us back - end of workout.

I don't know.  Am I wrong? I was mad.  I know that not everyone can go to the hospital of course, but maybe the head coach at least could have asked - okay who can do the run? Are you guys okay?  Are you guys up for it?  But no, she expected everyone to be ready to just run.  She was like - get your gels, let's get going.  There was no way I could run 6 miles after that.

What do you guys think? Was I wrong? Would you have just kept going?  Maybe I am too sensitive.  Sigh.  Maybe I am just not tough enough.

Yours truly  :-)  and thanks for the inspires! I am trying to do better.  I need to stop getting fat.  I may be out of this tri...sigh.

dbw27

Edited by dbw27 2009-08-08 11:37 AM
2009-08-08 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2334984

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Plainsman AU - 2009-08-07 3:22 PM One of you guys a while back showed a pic where you had mounted your garmin to your aeros.  Tony or Traci maybe?  If you got that pic, I would like to see it again.  Gotta get mine off my wrist and on the bike.

Barry if you have the 305 which i think you do, Jeremy has a great pic of how his is mounted. You need the quick release kit, which has the velcro strap and the release mounted on the bike.

2009-08-08 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Wetsuit?  Never had one of those things on.  Actually I am a little apprehensive about using one for my HIM in September.  I would have to rent one, and since that is the case, I may rent a sleeveless so that it will be a little less restrictive.  Does that make sense?  I think the temp will be such, that the suit will just make the swim easier and not needed for warmth.

Jeremy...no problem for you man!  Piece of cake with your 2 strengths to follow.
2009-08-08 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Thank you guys for the encouragement.  I'm aware of the USAT rule too, but I'd be pissed to place and then not take the award simply because I wore a suit...  I thought about switching to the Duathlon - but I'm too stubborn.  I've done well and taken a few AG awards for the du, but I do need the swim experience, be it good or bad.

We've had T-storms all day today, so no swimmy for me.  T-Storms are forecast for tomorrow too, so maybe the swim will be cnx...

IT'S STEVE'S BIRTHDAY???  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
2009-08-08 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2335834

User image

Champion
JHagerman - 2009-08-08 12:06 PM Thank you guys for the encouragement.  I'm aware of the USAT rule too, but I'd be pissed to place and then not take the award simply because I wore a suit...  I thought about switching to the Duathlon - but I'm too stubborn.  I've done well and taken a few AG awards for the du, but I do need the swim experience, be it good or bad.

We've had T-storms all day today, so no swimmy for me.  T-Storms are forecast for tomorrow too, so maybe the swim will be cnx...

IT'S STEVE'S BIRTHDAY???  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Wouldn't you rather do the tri, place and not get the award than the the du and never know how well you did?  Isn't that a mouth full?  Really bad storms here too....if the race was today it would  have been cancelled so I am holing out hope tomorrow is a better day.  Good luck no matter what you decide.

Dannette--it seems to me the coach could have handled the discussion better while still sending the message you all need to be alert to things in the environment.   I think the option could have been left up to the individual if they wanted to finish the brick or not.  Personally, I probably would have done the run, but really hard to say for sure since I did not experience the event the way you did.  Shake it off and realize some people are not very sensitive!  Hang in there.
2009-08-08 12:32 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Hey all I'm still around and working my plan.

Barry if a wetsuit is legal I would wear it every time. It is not just for warmth, but for bouyancy.

Dannette: The coach might have been upset and very good at coping with the accident. Carrying on may have been her defense mechanism. You did what was right for you. Separate fromt he accident, you have to see your glass as half full, not half empty. My sister is the half ampty type. Actually sometimes it feels like she thinks that her glass is half empt, has a chip in it, does not contain what she ordered and is dirty.

When your feeling down try to recall the feelings you have when you cross the finish line. Life is good!

Doug

Edited by DougRob 2009-08-08 12:32 PM
2009-08-08 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Questions for the group.  Crashed today hard on the bike.  Went into a corner and front tire kicked out, I think because of a flat.  This was 54 minutes into the ride and i finished up the 3.5 hours.  Obviously not serious but I have road rash from my shoulder to my ankle on my right side.  I need treatment options.  Vitamin E?  Cover it or not?  Don't swim and for how long?  Anyone have experience with road rash?  I have a couple deep sores on my knee and one on my hip.  The rest is just scrapes.typical road rash.  Any advice would be helpful.

The bike took a big hit though.  I was able to get it rolling to finish the ride but I broke the bar end shifter, brake lever, rear bottle mount and scraped up the bars and pedal.  Frame looks good.   I guess I can upgrade some components now

2009-08-08 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Bicycling accident hit close to home this morning.  I was out running with the running group, and heard thru the grapevine that there was an accident this morning.  Turns out it was a friend of mine who is training for Ironman.  I haven't heard the details, but think he got hit about 5:30 this morning by a hit and run idiot.  Luckily someone was riding with him and called 911, but I think he was flown to the hospital and is in intensive care.  Kinda puts a knot in your stomach. 
2009-08-08 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2335845

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

SSMinnow -
Dannette--it seems to me the coach could have handled the discussion better while still sending the message you all need to be alert to things in the environment.   I think the option could have been left up to the individual if they wanted to finish the brick or not.  Personally, I probably would have done the run, but really hard to say for sure since I did not experience the event the way you did.  Shake it off and realize some people are not very sensitive!  Hang in there.

I'm with you on this one Suzy. Some people get a little too focused on one thing to the exclusion of all else. THe situation could definitely been handled a little better in my mind. I think you need to rmember that there are all kinds of poepl inthe word and all our situations and perceprtions are different. Take it in stride and just move on., 

2009-08-08 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2335891

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Cbarnes1:

Ack!

I just decided your life is worse than mine. :-)  Thanks for coming on.  (I know this is a horrible thing to say but true - okay im in a mood!!)  I can pray for you and your injuries.

I got road rash in an icky bike wreck in the spring.  My roommate, an esthetician, works for a fantastic cosmetic dermatologist who she dragged me to the day of the wreck (thankfully, and not a regular doctor.)   What was previously all gouged out - well..you can barely tell anything happened to me now - I have to point it out.  She was wonderful.  Cosmetic dermatologists really know what they are talking about.

Okay this is what she had me do:

1)  Clean wound/road rash thoroughly.  No really.
2)  FIVE DAYS:  Put on some sort of antibiotic cream - like silvadene (best) or i guess if you can't do that - neosporin.  Cover that with clean gauze (double the gauze- double thickness) and paper tape (she said that the other tape could further irritate the skin).  Change every twenty four hours.  Do for five days.  Do NOT swim/get wet.  Keep covered.  Keep moist with antibiotic cream.
3)  UNTIL COMPLETELY HEALED:  Generously put on Biafine. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XZCV0Y.  Keep covered!  Can swim with super waterproof bandaids.

If you can get a prescription for this stuff - fantastic.  This stuff is like - miraculous.  She gave me some samples and then prescription.  It is used for burns and radiation burn patients.  If you use this stuff.. it does not scar or hyperpigment or anything.  I had gouges that my regular doctor said would look ugly when they healed.  No way.  Not with this stuff.  Completely smooth  non hyper pigmented skin.  Ra ra sis koom bah. 

I did a tri in stage 3.  I used those super sports - waterproof - impossible to get off bandaids.  I CONTINUED to put the biafine on underneath  even though skin was about completely healed.  Keep moist.  Do not expose to air and let dry out or else it can turn ugly.

Anyway, that is what the New York City fancy schmantz cosmetic dermatologist had me do.  The results are awesome.  I had "bad" road rash even on my cheek.  I thought scarred and ugly forever.  No way.   All you need is silvadene and gauze and then biafine and super bandaids and you are good to go.

I hope that helps.  I'm no doc.  Just quoting one.

dbw27

About Biafine:

BIAFINE®is and oil in water emulsion that provides deep hydration, transferring over 40% of its' water content into the underlying tissue the first hour of application. It has an emollient action to soften tissues, black eschar or other non-viable tissues, and aids in autolytic debridement It significantly increases the amount of macrophages recruited to the wound site, and protects the wound from harmful germs and contaminants. BIAFINE® is the first wound dressing emulsion to impact all three phases of the wound healing process and is compatible with exudates (osmolarity changes). BIAFINE®  is water-soluble, making it very user friendly. Because it is a usual once a day dressing change, BIAFINE®usage will decrease product costs, and caregivers time. BIAFINE®contains a non-toxic; herbal based fragrance, and has been very well tolerated for over 25 years.

Edited by dbw27 2009-08-08 1:56 PM
2009-08-08 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2335909

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Redknight - 2009-08-08 2:20 PM

SSMinnow -

I'm with you on this one Suzy. Some people get a little too focused on one thing to the exclusion of all else. THe situation could definitely been handled a little better in my mind. I think you need to rmember that there are all kinds of poepl inthe word and all our situations and perceprtions are different. Take it in stride and just move on., 

Thanks you guys.  I was and am just really upset.   I keep thinking about my teammate in that hospital bed.  I don't know. It was just so upsetting.  I just can't see running after that, but like you said, everyone is different - and you know what she didn't witness it.  The head coach was off with the fast people - and four like assistant coaches were off with us slower/intermediate people.  One of the assistants did ask me if I was okay when we got back.  She said that she was upset but that she knew how bad it could be if you actually saw it.  At least she was sensitive and she offered to go to the hospital too.

I don't know.  You're right. Not everyone is sensitive.

Tired of bike wrecks though. I praise God every time I make it back safely.  Plainsman AU, I am with you.  I said a prayer for your friend.  I am just tired of this.  I find that I am paying more and more careful attention to cyclists these days when driving.  I go way out of my way not to hit them - to an extreme. :-)

I'm still just upset about the people with the dog - it was like they didn't even care.  And they made a fast get away.  I have a huge 90 pound dog.  If he ran into the street (God forbid! poor dog!) and hit someone (now poor person!) I would have a heart attack.  I can see myself on the side, crying - and would definitely definitely wait to talk to the police and definitely make sure the biker was ok.  Oh yes, I see myself definitely having a heart attack.  My roommate said the same thing.  She def would not leave with the dog but would wait around at least til the ambulance came!!  I can see myself just bawling in that situation.  But then, like you said, I am sensitive.

I just kept seeing her in my head.  When we were biking up, I said, "oh no.oh no!!"  And then when I saw her jersey I almost started crying.  And she was on the ground and couldn't move.  Oh my gosh.  I was praying hard!

dbw27

Edited by dbw27 2009-08-08 1:43 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383