General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-11-03 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3189592

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread
Skippy74 - 2010-11-01 6:03 PM

Not racing this year BUT from last year---no ipod/mp3 for me but definitely saw a few on the run course---some trying to be tuck them under hats/visors others with them out in the open...then there was the girl with the mom/friend (not sure who she was) "pacing" her on a bike with a radio strapped to it..........

Yeah it does get pretty quiet out there---especially through the park near the water---the "end" part of the out/back is into/through a park and it gets quiet and dark there before sunset even---lots of trees/shade...

I hope they light it better than last year. Though the blacking out could've been just me.

2010-11-03 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3192560

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

mr2tony - 2010-11-03 9:49 AM I hope they light it better than last year. Though the blacking out could've been just me.

Being in the dark adds a certain aura to the event, it makes me think of the Kona videos where people are running in the dark, you can't see anything, and all you hear is feet.

2010-11-03 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3193376

User image

Regular
Vicksburg
http://www.accuweather.com/us/nc/wilmington/28401/forecast-details.... />
Not to scare anyone but that link has wind from the NNW at 23mph! That's some serious wind.

I realize its long range but most of next week shows some serious wind.
2010-11-03 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2687568

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
The forecast is making me shake in my shoes!  We need to make a deal with the weather to either speed up or slow down.
2010-11-03 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3193634

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
shellabree - 2010-11-03 4:12 PM The forecast is making me shake in my shoes!  We need to make a deal with the weather to either speed up or slow down.

Nice temperature but 23 mph winds with 45mph gusts is not pretty. Fortunately that will change :-)
2010-11-03 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3193650

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
louiskie - 2010-11-03 3:19 PM
shellabree - 2010-11-03 4:12 PM The forecast is making me shake in my shoes!  We need to make a deal with the weather to either speed up or slow down.

Nice temperature but 23 mph winds with 45mph gusts is not pretty. Fortunately that will change :-)

Yeah but two months from now it will be "yep, 100mph winds, rain, but we fought thru it!"

LOL, I will reserve panicking about the weather to Monday when the forecast has a chance of being correct.

Edited by GaryRM 2010-11-03 3:25 PM

2010-11-03 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3193657

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
GaryRM - 2010-11-03 4:24 PM

Yeah but two months from now it will be "yep, 100mph winds, rain, but we fought thru it!"

LOL, I will reserve panicking about the weather to Monday when the forecast has a chance of being correct.

You mean freezing rain/sleet, but only on the uphills, which was pretty much the entire course. Plus there were packs of hungry dogs out on the bike course trying to pull you off the bike.
2010-11-03 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3193672

User image

Master
Wilmington
louiskie - 2010-11-03 3:30 PM

You mean freezing rain/sleet, but only on the uphills, which was pretty much the entire course. Plus there were packs of hungry dogs out on the bike course trying to pull you off the bike.

Lou how can you forget the hunters in ht e camo gear  sitting on the side of the road  with there guns  cheering you on. lol
2010-11-03 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3193709

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Livestrong191 - 2010-11-03 3:52 PM
louiskie - 2010-11-03 3:30 PM

Lou how can you forget the hunters in ht e camo gear  sitting on the side of the road  with there guns  cheering you on. lol

This sounds so much like my training rides, sounds like I am ready!!!
2010-11-03 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3193650

User image

louiskie - 2010-11-03 4:19 PM

Yeah, this one's got rain on Friday but clear Sat with wind at 10 kts friday during the day 3 kts friday night
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USNC0760?dayNum=9

Should be interesting to keep looking at. I hope that rain is on "another day" than ours.
2010-11-03 6:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida

Took the bike to the LBS today to get tune up.  My taper week is going good.  I put together a 4 page B2B Execution plan I typed up just to help with the nerves.  I took advice I have read here, some from other HIM I have done, and some from info on the net such as what to pack in a special needs bag.  I will say the one suggestion I found was something I would have never thought about.  It was a mental suggestion.  What was it you ask?

Someone suggested having your friends and or family right inspirational messages on a card and put in the running special needs bag that you get half way into the run when all those voices are screaming in your head.  I thought that was interesting.

Your thoughts?

Edited by [email protected] 2010-11-03 6:35 PM

2010-11-03 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3193944

[email protected] - 2010-11-03 7:34 PM

Took the bike to the LBS today to get tune up.  My taper week is going good.  I put together a 4 page B2B Execution plan I typed up just to help with the nerves.  I took advice I have read here, some from other HIM I have done, and some from info on the net such as what to pack in a special needs bag.  I will say the one suggestion I found was something I would have never thought about.  It was a mental suggestion.  What was it you ask?

Someone suggested having your friends and or family right inspirational messages on a card and put in the running special needs bag that you get half way into the run when all those voices are screaming in your head.  I thought that was interesting.

Your thoughts?

Coop - i had heard the same thing.  i think that is a great idea.

some things i thought of for the special needs bag

ride:  antacids, chapstick, dry sock, extra tube, nutrition, chamois butter

run: antacids, chapstick, ear cover, gloves, hat, long sleeve shirt, nutrition, chamois butter

What does everyone else think?
2010-11-04 6:13 AM

User image

Daily Details for
Wilmington, NC
Nov 13
Day
Mostly Sunny
High 73°F
Precip 10%
Wind: From W at 10 mph
Humidity: 66%
UV Index: 4 Moderate

Okay, who do I have to pay off to make this stay put as the forecast?
2010-11-04 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida

Please share this and and thank your significant other for their work and dedication to getting us to the start line of our race.  I know I would not be there without my wife's help.  This a great explanation of thier dedication to making us successful!

The Iron-Sherpa

de TriSports.com la 29 octombrie 2008 la 10:50

Every athlete who has been fortunate enough to cross the finish line of an Ironman event and heard the magical phrase, “YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!”, understands the importance of having a supportive spouse, family, or friend. This individual has been there for their Ironman each and every step of the way by offering the understanding, support, and everything else in between. Much like the Sherpas of the Himalayas, without the Iron-Sherpa many Ironman athletes would never have made it.

The following is the basic job description of the modern day Iron-Sherpa. (yes, all of these stories are true!)

1. The Iron-Sherpa mustbe willing to give up her (or his) bike to their Iron-athlete. In the event that the Iron-athlete suffers a mechanical breakdown on a training ride, the Iron-Sherpa will be willing to sit on the side of the road, waiting for a ride, while the Iron-athlete gets to take the Iron-Sherpa’s bike so the exact training ride can be completed.

2. The Iron-Sherpa must be willing to wake up at 4 A.M. and prepare for a full 19-hour day frantically chasing their Iron-athlete around the racecourse. In the likely event that you missed your chance to see your Iron-athlete at the scheduled turn at mile 45.7 of the bike course, you must be able to quickly come up with plan B and drive 83.9 miles, navigating multiple closed streets, in an effort to catch a 3 second glimpse of your Iron-athlete at mile 94 of the bike and then pray that you have time to get to T2 in an effort to get another 5 second glimpse.

3. The Iron-Sherpa will forgo any calls of personal duty, such as meals, bathrooms, etc. in an effort to frantically find a wetsuit, the morning of the race, for his or her Iron-athlete who happened to find a fist size hole in their wetsuit at 10:00 P.M. the night before the race. (Yes, the Iron-Sherpa did manage to find one!)

4. The Iron-Sherpa may not forgo additional family responsibilities and must also figure out how to cater to the needs of their children. This includes dealing with the fact that the ketchup at McDonalds in New Zealand does not taste like the ketchup in the U.S., which naturally results in tears. This is in addition to the fact that …..it is hot……the kids have to poop……..they are hungry…….when can we go home?….etc.

5. The Iron-Sherpa must be willing to prepare all pre-race meals in the last few days leading up to the Ironman. This will ensure that their Iron-athlete gets plenty of opportunities to rest, sleep, hydrate, and visualize the upcoming event. (i.e, nap)

6. The Iron-Sherpa must also be able to manage dozens of phone calls, from family and friends, who must know the exact condition of the Iron-athlete and why they took so long to finish the bike.

7. The Iron-Sherpa must patiently try to understand the reasoning behind spending countless dollars on a helmet, wheels, aero bottles, etc. to save mere seconds in a 14-hour event.

8. The Iron-Sherpa mustbe able to juggle the kids’ soccer, piano, dance, homework, etc. in an effort to give the Iron-athlete time to train for the Ironman.

9. The Iron-Sherpa must be a psychologist, massage therapist, sag wagon driver, training partner, and any other profession that may be needed to support the Iron-athlete.

10. The Iron-Sherpa must be able to explain to the Iron-athlete why they were unable to navigate their way through thousands of spectators during the swim in time to take a video of their Iron-athlete exiting the water.

If you have ever had to experience any of the above or any other duties related to the successful completion of an Ironman by your Iron-athlete, congratulations because “YOU ARE AN IRON-SHERPA!!!”

2010-11-04 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Took the bike to the LBS today to get tune up.  My taper week is going good.  I put together a 4 page B2B Execution plan I typed up just to help with the nerves.

OMG!  Four pages?!  Now I feel underprepared!  I'm doing the half and I should have at least two pages!
2010-11-04 8:21 AM

User image

DC

Hey Bcooper, I'm getting the sense that you're nervous. Dude, from you monthly postings, I think you're beyond prepared. I was crazy nervous last year (even though I had 2 HIM's under my belt). In hind, the training I put in qualified me to finish strong as you will too. Maybe tonight, you & your loved one should skip the inspiration talk & crack open a bottle of wine & enjoy each other's company. We all deserve that!

2010-11-04 8:46 AM

User image

Middle Georgia
would love to see the execution plan, perhaps you have some wisdom or through research have found some great tips that would help us first timers!
2010-11-04 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3194529

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Porfirio - 2010-11-04 9:21 AM

Hey Bcooper, I'm getting the sense that you're nervous. Dude, from you monthly postings, I think you're beyond prepared. I was crazy nervous last year (even though I had 2 HIM's under my belt). In hind, the training I put in qualified me to finish strong as you will too. Maybe tonight, you & your loved one should skip the inspiration talk & crack open a bottle of wine & enjoy each other's company. We all deserve that!

Funny you mentioned that m?y wife had the same comment? ?o?v?e?r? ?a? ?g?l?a?s?s? ?o?f? ?w?i?n?e? ?l?a?s?t? ?n?i?g?h?t??!.  Not so much nervous at this point, I think that will come on race day, just ready to get going.  I think I have put the time and effort into the training just ready to get my first IM behind me.  As far as the? ?4??????? ?p?a?g?e execution plan that is the Type A personality in me and anyone that knows me would laugh about that!  ??I? ?l?i?k?e? ?y?o?u?r? ?a?d?v?i?c?e? ?a?n?d? ?w?i?l?l? ?h?a?v?e? ?a? ??M?e?r?l?o?t? ?a?n?d? ?r?e?f?l?e?c?t??!
2010-11-04 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3194503

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
jmkizer - 2010-11-04 8:15 AM

Took the bike to the LBS today to get tune up.  My taper week is going good.  I put together a 4 page B2B Execution plan I typed up just to help with the nerves.

OMG!  Four pages?!  Now I feel underprepared!  I'm doing the half and I should have at least two pages!

Since I am only doing the IM Swim/Bike I guess I need a little over 3 pages! 

Actually I did write one up for my HIM but it was less than a page.  Mainly what I was going to do for nutrition.  Everyone prepares differently, if it helps do it.
2010-11-04 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3194617

User image

DC
GaryRM - 2010-11-04 8:52 AM
jmkizer - 2010-11-04 8:15 AM

Since I am only doing the IM Swim/Bike I guess I need a little over 3 pages! 

Actually I did write one up for my HIM but it was less than a page.  Mainly what I was going to do for nutrition.  Everyone prepares differently, if it helps do it.

I'm in it for the full & my half-ish page includes things like, "get starbucks instant coffee for race morning". I don't feel nearly as prepared as the rest of you sound, but I do know that I want this to be over with! Heading back home to Chicago after the race & there's a lot of dangerous temping foods over there. Hey, I got replace the weight I'll be losing on race day right? 
2010-11-04 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3194605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
lakeview - 2010-11-04 9:46 AM would love to see the execution plan, perhaps you have some wisdom or through research have found some great tips that would help us first timers!

I put this together based on things I had read on the net, friends, etc.  I am by no means an expert.  This is my first IM.  I have done two HIM this year.  The last page is my goal for the race.  I made the goal my worst case scernio - I think!  We will see.  You will see my times are higher than the avg times I saw last year on the results.  The swim for example last year looks to be for the slow people around 50 or so minutes.  I planned 1 hour 10.  Same with the bike and run.  The run maybe more accurate for me given the fact that it is the event I feel the least prepared for.  I had IT band issues the whole 20 weeks of my training and I did not get to get the long runs in I had hoped for. 

Brian’s

Beach to Battleship Race Plan Execution:

“Transitions are not a break, but part of the race. Use the transitions wisely but don't lose unnecessary time in the changing tent”

Misc Tips;

• Place the special needs bag number at the bottom of bag not on the side.  When you draw the bag up you can’t read the number.
  • Volunteers may retrieve your bag but be prepared to know visually where it is in case demand is higher than supplied volunteers.
  •  Pack your bags last in first out.  So that you select from bag in the logical order you put your gear on.
  • Tape a to do list in the bags in the order you should put things on.  Cream, bike shorts, Socks, shoes, gloves, helmet, sun glasses. Etc.
  • Don’t tie the bag in a knot you can’t undo
  • Make a to do list for race morning
  • At the beginning of the swim – repeat 100 times or more – I did the training, I belong here; concentrate on counting swim strokes to take mind off of a panic attack!
  • Find someone to draft off of .
  • Expect to be kicked and bumped the first 10-15 mins of the swim.  Deal with it and move on!
    5 Bags for IM

Swim to bike transition  T1:

Louis Garneau Air Rocket helmet, Arm warmers, cycling jersey, Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ sun glasses, cycling shoes, socks, gloves, Louis Garneau cycling shorts, Chamos Butter, body glide, Garmin Watch, bath towel. Race number belt

• Bike to run transition  T2:
    T2: IM visor hat, Asics Gel Nimbus running shoes and socks, technical running shirt , Katie’s Garmin watch, Body Glide, band aids in case of blisters, second race number and belt

Bike special needs:

Two one hour frozen bottles of Infinit bike nutrition (plan B here is to have a baggy of Infinit in my jersey pocket I can mix in case I miss the special needs bag), chamos butter, one bike tube, one CO2 container, Ibuprofen, second pair of biking socks.  Duct tape. 

Run special needs:

Change of socks, Vaseline, salt tabs, pain killers (but not NSAIDS), special food, a long sleeved shirt in case it is cold when you run in the dark (tie it around your waist, so you have it). Ibuprofen, a card with a note from each family member with a word of encouragement.

• Dry clothes bag for end of race:

Running warmups, dry running shoes, running socks, running jacket, towel.  Recovery powder of some sort to drink within 30 minutes of completion of the race.

Racing each Segment

Bike

• Obey your HR.  #1 mistake made at Ironman is starting the bike too hard and/or riding the bike leg too hard. The bike leg is all about setting yourself up for a great marathon leg.
  • If you feel good, eat; if you don’t, slow down your pace so you can eat.  The #2 mistake made at Ironman is improper fueling.  Ensuring your stomach is digesting everything you are giving it is very important so you can have a good marathon.  If you begin to feel even the slightest sign of upset stomach or gastrointestinal issues you need to SLOW DOWN your heart rate; which will drive more blood from your working muscles and surface of your skin back to your internal organs needed in the digestion process.  DO NOT lower your caloric intake until you have tried to lower your HR for about 30-45 min.  If you still are having issues after 30min, then lower caloric intake…but only do this as a last resort.  If you have trained to know how much your stomach can handle, lowering your HR should work just fine.   Also, the quicker you notice and begin to solve GI issues the quicker they will go away.
  • Go to the bathroom.  If you have not gone to the bathroom by mile 80, you are risking dehydration and need to drink drink drink.  Ideally you will have to go to the bathroom by mile 45-50ish and mile 80-85ish.  If you haven’t gone to the bathroom by T2 and don’t feel the need to, begin to worry a lot and drink like they’re paying you $100/oz to drink as a DNF is very likely on your horizon.
  • Stay aero.  112 miles is a long way and staying aero gains you seconds and seconds add up over a 112 mile effort.  Of course, of your going up a hill at less than 10mph, sit up and stretch your back a bit.
  • Manage your effort with your gears and don’t manage your effort with your legs.  The effort you put out with your legs and the pressure you feel between your shoes and your pedals should be managed almost solely by your gears and NOT by you.  This will ensure that you keep your cadence effort even throughout race day.

Run

• This is it, this is where the race BEGINS.   All experienced Ironman athletes know that putting together a strong marathon is the key to Ironman personal records.  You feel good and throw down an IM marathon PR you will almost certainly get an Ironman PR.  Not true with a bike split PR.  It’s very rare that an Ironman athlete puts together a bike split PR and gets an Ironman PR.  You walk 2.5 miles total during the marathon, you just gave back about 1mph avg on your bike split.
  • Start out SSSSLLLLLOOOOWWWW and let your heart rate come down as quickly as possible (first 2-3 miles) so you can start on your nutrition.  Taking in nutrition at a very high heart rate this late in the day can case some serious back-up issues in your gut that can be hard to recovery from.
  • Ease into an effort that feels easy with a little “hard” sprinkled on top and hold that effort until about mile 16ish.
  • Once mile 16-18 comes and you are racing to your potential, you will feel as is God’s wrath has come down upon you.  Accept this pain as your fate, put your head down and get ‘er done.  If this was easy, everyone would be doing Ironman.  There is no magical “tip” to give you for putting together a strong last 10k of an IM Marathon.  You gotta feel the pain and keep it painful.  No easy way around it.  It’s gonna hurt….period.

Finish Chute

• If this is your first Ironman, the best advice I can give you is DO NOT RUSH THE FINISH CHUTE.  Use the extra 10-15 seconds it will take you to slow down and enjoy your “moment”.  For those 50-100 yards all eyes are on you!  They are cheering you!!!  Wave, take it all in, shed a tear if you like…you’ve deserved it!  This is your moment, enjoy it for as long as you can.  You’ll NEVER again be able to experience your first Ironman finish.  There is absolutely nothing like it.

Post Race

• Get your photo taken even if you THINK you don’t want to purchase one.  At least you’ll have the option if you change your mind later.
  • Thank every single volunteer you see.
  • Depending on how your day went, do your best to slowly (but as soon as possible) introduce your nutritional recovery protocol.  Go to the medical tent if you think you need it.  They will assess you and tell you you’re good to go or you need treatment.  Better to be safe than sorry.
  • Go get your FREE massage!  It will be only 10-15 min but all you need right now and will absolutely have a dramatic impact on the speed of your recovery.
  • After your massage (and only AFTER) go take an ice baths even if you haven’t tried one before.  The water does NOT need to be that cold to be helpful.  Even water that is 55-60 degrees only will have some recovery benefit.  60 degree water is typically 100% cold tap water in a hotel bathtub plus about one 5-gallon bucket of ice.  Remember, you do NOT need to put all the ice in at once.  A good way to take a post IM ice bath is to get in the cold tap water and get used to that, then slowly introduce the ice as you stay in the water.

Have fun!

Pacing Chart

Swim – 2.4 miles                                            1.16   one hour and 10 minutes

T1                                                                   .16   10 min transition

1.32    one hour and 19 mints

Bike                                                                6.4  6 hours and 24 minutes 17.5 MPH

7.72      7 hours and 43 mins

T2                                                                    .16

7.88    7 hours and 53 minutes

Run                                                                 5.50  5 hours and 30 mins  12.36 pace

13.38 Hours Total  13 hours 22 minutes

2010-11-04 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3194660

User image

DC

Run

• This is it, this is where the race BEGINS... 
  • Start out SSSSLLLLLOOOOWWWW and let your heart rate come down as quickly as possible (first 2-3 miles) so you can start on your nutrition.  Taking in nutrition at a very high heart rate this late in the day can case some serious back-up issues in your gut that can be hard to recovery from.

Perhaps obvious, but interesting. I've tried to run "slow" on my bricks but it's really hard to under 9 min/pace. For those of you who are heart-rate monitoring, are you shooting for a Z1 run at the begging?

2010-11-04 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
I recently starting listening to Geeks in Running Shoes and they talked about a Race Contract (pdf) done by the Running with the Pack podcast.  They call it "an informal contract that will remind me of what I need to do to have the best race experience."  It's kind of neat -- get to race on time, check with doctor, "I will cross the finish line with my arms raised and a smile on my face."

Edited by jmkizer 2010-11-04 9:30 AM
2010-11-04 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Cooper, you are friggin killin me! Your gonna do great at this race. Only flaw I see in you plan, is that I believe you have over estimated your bike split by at least 30 minutes, may be more. This course is super flat. You'll probably average 20mph.

Now, go drink that bottle of wine.
2010-11-04 11:57 AM

User image

[email protected] - 2010-11-04 10:13 AM
“Transitions are not a break, but part of the race. Use the transitions wisely but don't lose unnecessary time in the changing tent”

But I have to make sure my tea is the perfect temperature, that there is sufficient sugar and creamer in it and sip it slowly as is proper. Of COURSE T1 and T2 include those. That's why they're called T time

16:59:59 or better!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 32