CLOSED

of 81

2010-03-07 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2698010

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: bEASTies - March Winds Challenge
I blew off my training today to play with the kids.  It was too nice outside not too.  And I was gone ALL day yesterday.  So, a little softball, football, frisbee, running and a mile walk was in order here.  Time well spent. 

If I can get Cole to school tomorrow, I'm gonna ride tomorrow afternoon.  I'm not holding my breath though!  He has a doctor appt with the ped on Tuesday morning so I am thinking one more day off from school might be in order.

2010-03-07 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2712867

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Here is the Week 1 Challenge update:

1st place - bEASTies - 18.7%
2nd place - T.W.I.S.T.E.R. - 15.9%

But the month is only 23% over..... Wait, doesn't that mean both teams should be at 23% already? So you're BOTH slackers? Hm....

Be careful. If this keeps up, I will need to have everyone meet my taser collection.

Why are you here? Go work out now!

- Evil Dee

2010-03-07 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2712820

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Artemis - 2010-03-07 4:10 PM
MDHillSlug - 2010-03-07 3:54 PM
MDHillSlug - 2010-03-06 2:25 PM I went for a ride today with some people from my tri club. I fell behind before we had even gone a mile. There was no way I could hang with them and they left me in the dust. I did only 20 of the planned 32 miles. It wasn't any fun at all.

My legs have felt terrible for several months now, always tight, no spring.

When I posted this yesterday I didn't spell out the fact after I fell off the group nobody came back to check up on me. Later in the afternoon I got an email from one of the other gals on the ride. She said that they didn't realize that they had lost me and that when they realized, they thought I was with someone and that all was OK, and only much later realized I was alone. She concluded by saying she felt bad about this, a rather weak apology. I responded by saying that I had a terrible ride, wouldn't have wanted to hold the group back, but that it would have been nice to have someone check on me.

Today, people are posting on the group email list that they enjoyed the ride, etc, but are not mentioning what happened to me. I'm thinking about posting:

Hmm, it wasn't much fun for me when I got left behind. I wouldn't have wanted to hold the group back but it would have been really nice for someone to have checked up on me. I'm an experienced rider, quite able to take care of myself on a solo ride, but I didn't think I was out on a solo ride. What if I had been a beginner out on a ride with you all? What if something HAD happened to me? Not cool!

Should I post it?

Thanks for letting me vent a bit here.

Is it advertised as a no-drop ride or in a certain mph?  Either way, I think it would have been nice for them to check on you and it's what I would have done.

I've cooled down (again) and decided that I'm best off discussing this with the club president:

Hi <name>,

I'd like to let you know about something that happened on Saturday's group ride. About 8 of us met at Centennial to ride a loop of the Half Full bike route. Before the ride we talked about trying to maintain a 15-17 mph average. As it turned out, I was having a terrible ride and fell off the group before we'd even gone a few miles. I wouldn't have wanted to hold the group back, but nobody even realized they had lost me until very much later so nobody came around to check on me. I'm an experience rider, familiar with most of the roads we were riding, and well capable of taking care of myself on a solo ride so I was never in any danger. However, what if I had been an inexperienced rider unprepared to take care of myself, thinking I was on a group ride? We had never discussed if this was a no-drop ride or anything and I don't think anyone was really leading the ride. Still, from my view there was a real failure of responsibility. From a <Tri Club> perspective, I think there needs to be some sort of expectations for group rides to protect the <Tri Club>. On every ride organized "publicly" through the group email list somebody needs to be in charge and everyone needs to know the rules for the ride before wheels start rolling. I feel like I'm tattling to the teacher, but I thought that you should be aware of this for the good of the <Tri Club>.

Thanks, Nicole
2010-03-07 5:08 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Nicole I think that sounds good.  In the excitement of the first outdoor ride people forget about acting responsibly.  It really is best that there be a clear leader who looks out for all the riders on every ride. Experienced or not there are lots of crazy drivers out there who are not used to sharing the road again and you could have been hurt or in trouble.  Hope you get some good feedback.
2010-03-07 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2712908

User image

Champion
Bronze member
MDHillSlug - 2010-03-07 5:36 PM
Artemis - 2010-03-07 4:10 PM
MDHillSlug - 2010-03-06 2:25 PM I went for a ride today with some people from my tri club. I fell behind before we had even gone a mile. There was no way I could hang with them and they left me in the dust. I did only 20 of the planned 32 miles. It wasn't any fun at all.

When I posted this yesterday I didn't spell out the fact after I fell off the group nobody came back to check up on me. Later in the afternoon I got an email from one of the other gals on the ride. She said that they didn't realize that they had lost me and that when they realized, they thought I was with someone and that all was OK, and only much later realized I was alone. She concluded by saying she felt bad about this, a rather weak apology. I responded by saying that I had a terrible ride, wouldn't have wanted to hold the group back, but that it would have been nice to have someone check on me.

Today, people are posting on the group email list that they enjoyed the ride, etc, but are not mentioning what happened to me. I'm thinking about posting:

Hmm, it wasn't much fun for me when I got left behind. I wouldn't have wanted to hold the group back but it would have been really nice for someone to have checked up on me. I'm an experienced rider, quite able to take care of myself on a solo ride, but I didn't think I was out on a solo ride. What if I had been a beginner out on a ride with you all? What if something HAD happened to me? Not cool!

Should I post it?

Is it advertised as a no-drop ride or in a certain mph?  Either way, I think it would have been nice for them to check on you and it's what I would have done.

I've cooled down (again) and decided that I'm best off discussing this with the club president:

Hi ,

I'd like to let you know about something that happened on Saturday's group ride. About 8 of us met at Centennial to ride a loop of the Half Full bike route. Before the ride we talked about trying to maintain a 15-17 mph average. As it turned out, I was having a terrible ride and fell off the group before we'd even gone a few miles. I wouldn't have wanted to hold the group back, but nobody even realized they had lost me until very much later so nobody came around to check on me. I'm an experience rider, familiar with most of the roads we were riding, and well capable of taking care of myself on a solo ride so I was never in any danger. However, what if I had been an inexperienced rider unprepared to take care of myself, thinking I was on a group ride? We had never discussed if this was a no-drop ride or anything and I don't think anyone was really leading the ride. Still, from my view there was a real failure of responsibility. From a perspective, I think there needs to be some sort of expectations for group rides to protect the . On every ride organized "publicly" through the group email list somebody needs to be in charge and everyone needs to know the rules for the ride before wheels start rolling. I feel like I'm tattling to the teacher, but I thought that you should be aware of this for the good of the .

Thanks, Nicole

Nicole. I think this post is great. I am basically a beginner and what happened to you is the reason I do not go with group rides around here. What if something happened to you? That is the POINT of group rides, being in a GROUP. Send it!
2010-03-08 5:19 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Anyone else watch the Oscar's last night.  Stayed up to see the end.  I'm a bit tired this morning. 

2010-03-08 6:33 AM

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
Good morning everyone.

I still wasn't feeling well on Friday so I only got a 2 mile run in.

This weekend was GORGEOUS THOUGH!!!

I got a 22 mile bike ride in, followed by a 2 mile run on Saturday.

Yesterday morning I got a nice 8 mile run in. Then took my son and one of our dogs on a hike through the snow in the mountains in the afternoon. It was such a beautiful day out.

Planning on a 30ish mile bike ride this afternoon.
2010-03-08 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2712908

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-03-08 7:27 AM

2010-03-08 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2713510

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

wgraves7582 - 2010-03-08 8:27 AM BTW - good morning enemy team - hope you guys all had a great weekend!
Thank you!  It was a fantastic weekend--nice group run Saturday on beautiful country roads, and a 20-mile bike loop on the road Sunday (the long route for an espresso).  The only bummer about riding at this time of year, is that it takes me twice as long to clean my bike as it does to ride.  There's SO much salt, mud and debris out there.  I hope you had a great weekend as well.

2010-03-08 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2712797

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

Should I post it?

Nicole,  So sorry that what should have been a great first group ride of the spring went so badly for you.  Are you a new member of this tri club?   Had you been on rides with this group before?  This happened in my group last year.  I ride with a women-only sub-group of my LBS rides that is billed as both for beginners and no-drop.  One woman showed up really nervous about her first ride with clipless pedals.  Unfortunately, she was not only dropped, but was an inexperienced rider who wasn't familiar with the roads she was on.  The worst part is that nobody ever noticed she was gone.  I wasn't on the ride and only found out about the incident much later.  Sadly, that woman never rejoined our ride, so my group failed to support a woman who might have become a regular rider.  This makes me so sad.

Now that you've had the chance to blow off some steam, I think you absolutely should contact the head of your tri club.  If there aren't standard procedures to avoid a situation like this, there should be.  Hopefully, next weekend will also bring beautiful weather and you'll have the chance to get out there, have a fantastic ride, and erase this from your memory.

Best, Jackie

2010-03-08 8:32 AM

Expert
West Grove, PA
Good morning team,
Another beautiful day today so I'm planning an outdoor run at lunchtime.  Probably around 5 miles.  I'll do my long run (10 mi.) on Wednesday morning.  I'm a little behind on my goals, but will pick up the slack this week.  I need to get to the pool a few times to catch up on my swim goal.  I hope everyone has a great week!
Bill
2010-03-08 8:56 AM

Pro
Olney, MD
Good Morning!

I'm still in a bit of a funk. Getting dropped by the group and forgotten was bad but the worst thing about this ride was that, group or not, I had an awful ride and this is a continuation of how I've been feeling for weeks now. My running has been cr@p and my riding has been a struggle and Saturday's ride has me questioning my body, my training, and my goals. I've taken a blow to my confidence.

I did send that second email to the club president but I haven't heard anything back yet.
2010-03-08 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2713722

2010-03-08 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2713633

2010-03-08 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2713422

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
ebshot - 2010-03-08 6:19 AM Anyone else watch the Oscar's last night.  Stayed up to see the end.  I'm a bit tired this morning. 

I did...also really tired.  Had to get up for a dentist appointment, which was not very fun.

2010-03-08 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2713752

Pro
Olney, MD
wgraves7582 - 2010-03-08 10:06 AM
MDHillSlug - 2010-03-08 9:56 AM Good Morning!

I'm still in a bit of a funk. Getting dropped by the group and forgotten was bad but the worst thing about this ride was that, group or not, I had an awful ride and this is a continuation of how I've been feeling for weeks now. My running has been cr@p and my riding has been a struggle and Saturday's ride has me questioning my body, my training, and my goals. I've taken a blow to my confidence.

I did send that second email to the club president but I haven't heard anything back yet.

Nicole (even though you are the enemy )

It is only the 2nd week of March.  Don't be too hard on yourself and just remember that the season lasts a long time.  You will be fine come summer!  Don't be too hard on yourself!

I don't think it's just that it's only March; my legs just haven't felt quite right since back in October, always tight and tired. I had a therapeutic massage just after Thanksgiving that helped to loosen up my muscles; I'm going back next week and am thinking that I need to make it a regular thing for a month or so.

Are we just more fun that than your western teamies? Is that why you are always hanging with us?
2010-03-08 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2713898

Expert
West Grove, PA
MDHillSlug - 2010-03-08 11:19 AM

It is only the 2nd week of March.  Don't be too hard on yourself and just remember that the season lasts a long time.  You will be fine come summer!  Don't be too hard on yourself!

I don't think it's just that it's only March; my legs just haven't felt quite right since back in October, always tight and tired. I had a therapeutic massage just after Thanksgiving that helped to loosen up my muscles; I'm going back next week and am thinking that I need to make it a regular thing for a month or so.

Are we just more fun that than your western teamies? Is that why you are always hanging with us?

Nicole,
Were you able to take an extended break since the end of the last season?  I take a solid month off after my last race of the season.  It's good for the mind and the body.  Do you think maybe a solid week of R&R from tri training might get the spring back in your legs?  Maybe get a couple massages during that week and just generally recharge yourself.  Just 2 cents worth of useless advice from a relative newbie.
Bill
2010-03-08 10:30 AM

Champion
It is beautiful outside!!!

Do you think anyone in my office would notice if I left now so I could go for a nice long bike ride?
2010-03-08 10:31 AM

Expert
West Grove, PA
And, YES!  We are more fun then the Testy Westies!
2010-03-08 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2713936

Master
Albany, NY
ironannekidd - 2010-03-08 11:30 AM

It is beautiful outside!!!

Do you think anyone in my office would notice if I left now so I could go for a nice long bike ride?

LOL, I was just wondering the same thing!

2010-03-08 10:45 AM

2010-03-08 10:49 AM

Master
Albany, NY
MDHillSlug - 2010-03-08 11:19 AM

Nicole,

I was going to ask the same as Bill about taking a "break" or taking it easy for a while. Last month, I did NOT have a good running month which I was really depressed about. Like you describe, I was constantly fighting fatigue and I had serious cramping/tighness issues in my right calf. Not by design, I was a February running slacker but now I am feeling SO much better. My base is not where I expected it to be, but in hindsight I'm thinking last month may have been good for me. My running legs have more pep and I am actually looking forward to my runs again.

Also, as for your bike... when was the last time you had it tuned up? My husband just worked on tuning up our bikes 2 weeks ago (he took them to a bike guys who was teaching him how to do a bunch of stuff). Apparently I had weird things going on with my gears and brakes and god knows what else that was dragging me down. The change isn't suddenly making me average 20 mph or anything, but I can definitely feel the difference.

Also, I think it is always hard getting back outside again. As much as you try to get out in the winter or train on the treadmill, trainer, etc it's just not the same. Every spring, I waffle between the the "boy, it feels so good to be outside" feeling and the "oh, I forgot how hard it is to propel myself on real land" feeling. My trainer and treadmill legs forget how much hills hurt!
2010-03-08 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2713965

Champion
rnihill - 2010-03-08 11:38 AM
ironannekidd - 2010-03-08 11:30 AM It is beautiful outside!!!

LOL, I was just wondering the same thing!

I won't tell if you don't
2010-03-08 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2712687

MotoQueen
KOM - 2010-03-07 1:25 PM So today I BOUGHT A TRI BIKE!!!

Final meet up to trick it out on Tuesday afternoon then its all mine!!

Cool.  Can't wait to see the pics.
New Thread
CLOSED
Other Resources Challenge Me! » bEASTies - March Winds Challenge Rss Feed  

of 81