BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-04-13 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3444840

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN drinking tiger blood and closed
CyborgQueen - 2011-04-13 3:16 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-13 4:30 AM

good luck racing peeps!   monday is a cool day on the mg because we get to watch one of us race from work. 

speaking of racing,  not sure if you lone star people heard about the race last weekend.  someone tossed 100's of brass tacks out on the road down by the bridge close to the turnaround.  there were tons of flats and some dnf's because of it.  apparently there were some pretty bad wrecks to, not sure if it was due to the tacks. 

Can you give me links?  I find that really scary...and I call that someone did it on purpose. 

here you go. 

2011-04-13 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3445395

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-13 8:40 PM

chirstina i have a picture somewhere of me taking a leak next to a chick taking a leak (i was there first) at about mile .25 of the MCM.  i'll have to find it.

Ha! It's ok, you don't need to    but why on earth did you wait until after you crossed the starting line? 

2011-04-13 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3445406

User image

Champion
marietta
mighty mom - 2011-04-13 8:46 PM

chirstina i have a picture somewhere of me taking a leak next to a chick taking a leak (i was there first) at about mile .25 of the MCM.  i'll have to find it.

Ha! It's ok, you don't need to    but why on earth did you wait until after you crossed the starting line? 

so i could go next to that chick!  dunno but it wasn't very smart.  i had lots of company though!!!!

2011-04-13 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3445332

User image

Chatham Ontario
SSMinnow - 2011-04-13 6:49 PM

Spanky--can you find a new fitter?  I have the same type of set up for my biking shoes that I use for my running....my issue is a little different, but I would have them video you so they can see how your knee and foot behave during a full pedal stroke.  Who wants to get healthy running only to fall apart on the bike??

I think I'm caught up!!!

Very good point. I am currently on a quest and well I may have time coming up from work anyways... with Honda now being down half my plant is laid off. So We may have some reduced work days coming ourselves. I might be able to get up to these guys through the week. They are FIST certified. But they are rubbing me the wrong way. But I need a fit.

I did a Run/Walk with my sister in law today I can say I love my new shoes, I felt like I was running on a cloud and that my foot was making contact with the ground. I just ran how it felt natural, didn't think about my gait or anything. Just made sure I had a nice turn over of about 90 tonight.

Thanks for all your tips etc...

Oh and by the way I did quit coffee for two weeks... First two days I was a BEAR. My wife Asked me to drink coffee...LOL so hmm a bit of a dependance problem with coffee... I drank my first one today and I had a heck of a caffine buzz from half a cup... WOWZERS...

2011-04-13 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3445415

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-13 5:51 PM

so i could go next to that chick!  dunno but it wasn't very smart.  i had lots of company though!!!!

I wanna see it!!

My late FIL gained a new-found respect for me when I squatted behind a dumster (sort-of behind, I think!) during the Chicago Marathon we ran together. Yes, after the race started. And yes, I had gone a zillion times pre-race. I had not yet perfected my pre-race hydration strategy... Cuz I had not yet met Suzy!!! (OK, still haven't MET her in real-life-I-can-hug-you-and-drink-a-beer-with-you, but to me I've totally met her! Ha!) Anyway, sweet Howard just loved to tell people all about that day. I never lived it down, but if anything it made him love me more, so it was all good!!

In case anyone is wondering... got some turnips boiling on the stove as my side dish to my chicken enchaladas. Yeah, I'm the only one who will eat them, but that's OK. They're local. They're organic. And they're good for me.

2011-04-13 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3445481

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2011-04-13 9:23 PM

I wanna see it!!

My late FIL gained a new-found respect for me when I squatted behind a dumster (sort-of behind, I think!) during the Chicago Marathon we ran together. Yes, after the race started. And yes, I had gone a zillion times pre-race. I had not yet perfected my pre-race hydration strategy... Cuz I had not yet met Suzy!!! (OK, still haven't MET her in real-life-I-can-hug-you-and-drink-a-beer-with-you, but to me I've totally met her! Ha!) Anyway, sweet Howard just loved to tell people all about that day. I never lived it down, but if anything it made him love me more, so it was all good!!

In case anyone is wondering... got some turnips boiling on the stove as my side dish to my chicken enchaladas. Yeah, I'm the only one who will eat them, but that's OK. They're local. They're organic. And they're good for me.

I GOT IT KIM!

one time in hawaii kim took a dump on the side of the road.

2011-04-13 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3445558

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-13 7:04 PM

I wanna see it!!

I GOT IT KIM!

one time in hawaii kim took a dump on the side of the road.

wtf?  i was just here minding my own BUSINESS!!! 

2011-04-13 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

I wanna see it!!

Turnip season...I knew there was something missing from the winter MG these lasts few months!

Edited by gdale 2011-04-13 9:16 PM
2011-04-13 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3445395

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-13 6:40 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-13 7:49 PM

Fatty--my first stand alone marathon was a 5:04 using a run a mile, walk a minute strategy....oh and includes waiting for my BFFs 3 bathroom breaks.  My legs definitely said I did a marathon.  I see it as very individual and based on fitness level at the time.  If I came in at 4:30+ now, I would consider it a bomb!

about time you show up.  you're the cause of all my pent up anger and frustration!!!  did you know that if your ironman bike is 6:30 or greater you can't run the marathon. you know... like run the marathon. 

thanks everyone for your replies.  lots of great input from everyone.  and very interesting to read your thoughts!  and trev... its ok man.. you ran a marathon! at least in my book!!!! 

What do you mean about the 6:30 thing?
2011-04-13 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

there's no such thing as a good run after a bad bike, or vice-versa, or something like that.

I think that's what he was alluding to. 

Although,  I must say, a 6:30 bike split in an IM would make me very happy.

2011-04-13 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3444427

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-13 12:50 PM

What is the slowest finishing time that you would consider someone ran a marathon?   walking aid stations is fine bathroom breaks etc are fine....

chime in even if you haven't run one yet. 

i completed one marathon and walked a few miles with my buddy that hurt his knee.  i was 5:21 (i think)   so to answer my own question,  i say 5 hours.

thanks.

Late as usual, but I agree that it has everything to do with fitness level and pace and what "running" is to you.  IMHO it would be more a question of what percentage must you "run" (vs walking) to claim you have run a marathon.  By that rationale, the earlier example of people from The Biggest Loser" who plod along at 12-14 minute miles, but are not walking should be able to claim they have run it even though their time might well push 6 hours.  I also see them as having more claim to having run a marathon than someone who alternated running/walking every other mile so that they ran 13 and walked 13, even if that person managed to break 5 hours.  That is not to say the latter couldn't also make that claim (although *I* wouldn't consider an even split to constitute running a marathon), but the former would have the better argument to me, despite their time.  

For what it's worth (and only tangentially relevant), I ran the MS Marathon (on the Natchez Trace) in 1992 and was 2 seconds off a perfect 9-minute pace at the 20th mile when I hurt my knee.  How you ask ... ???  Oreos!!  I wasn't paying attention to where I was running because a friend of mine was talking to me and handing me oreos and water.  I stepped on the edge of the road wrong, felt my ankle starting to give and tried to overcompensate with my leg.  I ended up falling, skinning my knee and forearm, twisting my knee and walking/limping/dragging my leg and with an occasional attempt to run for the last 10K.  I finished in what was a very frustrating 4:56.  But I count that as having run a marathon.  Perhaps one day I will try to improve upon that time.

2011-04-13 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3443696

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
SSMinnow - 2011-04-13 6:25 AM

I'm EXCITED because I know at least one person has the race of her life this weekend (well Monday!), who else is toeing the line?  Spill your strategy!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!!  

No racing for me yet, but it's closing fast (about 4.5 weeks away).  As for strategy:  get to the turkey legs and beer as fast as I can!

2011-04-13 11:00 PM
in reply to: #3445583

User image

Master
gdale - 2011-04-13 7:15 PM

I wanna see it!!

Turnip season...I knew there was something missing from the winter MG these lasts few months!

Sadly, I think that turnip season in the PacNW coincides with rainy seasons. That is, maybe there will be a few weeks in the late summer when it doesn't rain and then we won't get turnips. If we are lucky. Good thing I have learned to like them.

Back to tri talk...

I've been meaning to post this question for awhile: Do you drink enough water? How do make sure you drink enough?? I have really been sucking at this for a few months now (I've attributed it to winter, but I've heard the calendar says spring -- no one has told Mother Nature here). I just feel like I cannot/do not drink enough water throughout the day, I try to play catch-up all afteroon/evening, but don't feel like I get to where I need to be. I carry around water bottles, I set little goals of drinking X bottles of water, I drink herbal tea in the late afternoons and evenings, but I am not staying ahead. I think it's worse on trainer-bike days, as I do sweat quite a bit there... but I'd like to be doing better even not on bike-trainer days so that I'm nice and hydrated for the trainer days. Late in the day and in the evening, I am very thirsty and when I look back on the day I realize I haven't peed that many times and at night my urine is way more concentrated than I'd like (not iced tea by any means, but darker than I think it should be) -- TMI??!

Am I the only one struggling with this? What are your solutions?? Oh, and I'm just a straight water drinker. Sometimes I switch things up with some Nuun or some orange slices for flavor, but I honestly love water more than any other beverage, so that's not the problem.

Help?

2011-04-14 1:25 AM

User image

Sacramento, CA

Wow!  You guys keep me busy!

1. Good luck to everyone who is racing.  I might do the granite bay icebreaker sprint this weekend...but the H20 is cold and I do not have a wetsuit yet...if I get my act together Ill go! 

2. Holy cow!  Some of you marathon runners blow me away!  I feel proud when my run is under 12.00 minutes/mile.  I would have to be living in a whole different body to try a marathon...maybe someday!  I wish I had the runner's bug.

3. Why do my toes go numb after mile 10... everytime I bike?  I hate it and it makes the run transitions hard!

4.  I too struggle from hydration anxiety.  Today, I found 4 of my straggling water bottle in various places I frequent...none of which were empty....arghh....Undecided

2011-04-14 2:39 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Did a 10k run workout at lunchtime today, it was a lot hotter than my normal early morning or evening runs and I was dripping in sweat.

I think having this cold has left me a bit dehydrated - apparently you can lose 2 litres of liquid from your nose per day, who got the job of measuring that???

Anyway, my tongue was virtually sticking to the roof of my mouth at the end.

My normal hydration strategy when it's really hot is to drink a Gatorade just before I start running and then try to drink one every hour and have one as soon as I finish, plus a chocolate milk.

Once you're dehydrated it seem to take hours to fully hydrate again.

Good luck to the racers! I only just realised which race you were referring to... I'd need to run a 3:20 marathon to qualify for Boston so that's not looking likely!

2011-04-14 5:36 AM
in reply to: #3445733

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
kkcbelle - 2011-04-13 11:00 PM

Sadly, I think that turnip season in the PacNW coincides with rainy seasons. That is, maybe there will be a few weeks in the late summer when it doesn't rain and then we won't get turnips. If we are lucky. Good thing I have learned to like them.

Back to tri talk...

I've been meaning to post this question for awhile: Do you drink enough water? How do make sure you drink enough?? I have really been sucking at this for a few months now (I've attributed it to winter, but I've heard the calendar says spring -- no one has told Mother Nature here). I just feel like I cannot/do not drink enough water throughout the day, I try to play catch-up all afteroon/evening, but don't feel like I get to where I need to be. I carry around water bottles, I set little goals of drinking X bottles of water, I drink herbal tea in the late afternoons and evenings, but I am not staying ahead. I think it's worse on trainer-bike days, as I do sweat quite a bit there... but I'd like to be doing better even not on bike-trainer days so that I'm nice and hydrated for the trainer days. Late in the day and in the evening, I am very thirsty and when I look back on the day I realize I haven't peed that many times and at night my urine is way more concentrated than I'd like (not iced tea by any means, but darker than I think it should be) -- TMI??!

Am I the only one struggling with this? What are your solutions?? Oh, and I'm just a straight water drinker. Sometimes I switch things up with some Nuun or some orange slices for flavor, but I honestly love water more than any other beverage, so that's not the problem.

Help?

I'm the same as you when it comes to drinking water! Ha!  When I was trying to lose weight, I was drinking like 5 water bottles full every day, not including what I would drink during workouts.  I've gotten out of this trend though, and I just don't drink enough anymore.  Part of it is because I refuse to drink the water at our apartment because the water tastes funny!  And part of it is I got sick of having to pee every hour!

But like you, I carry the water bottle around everywhere and just force myself to drink!  I have to consciously make an effort to do it though.  I'm trying to get back into it now because I know I'm not hydrated enough lately.

And I can honestly say I've never eaten a turnip!

2011-04-14 5:39 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kkcbelle - 2011-04-13 11:00 PM

I wanna see it!!

Back to tri talk...

Help?

Do you take vitamins?  Often times urine color is affected by those since they never get fully absorbed.

As soon as I gave up fake sugar (e.g. popsicles) my hydration as been stellar.H20 is now my go-to.  I keep a glass on the counter and we have a Britta pitcher in the fridge.  I fill it every night and then fill my glass a bunch of times during the day and drink some when I go by.  I also keep a water bottle in the car.  If you are eating a lot of fruits and vegetables you are also getting a decent amount of liquid from them.  If you eat turnips (eeeew), I am guessing you eat your share of F&Vs!  

2011-04-14 5:42 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

My late FIL gained a new-found respect for me when I squatted behind a dumster (sort-of behind, I think!) during the Chicago Marathon we ran together. Yes, after the race started. And yes, I had gone a zillion times pre-race. I had not yet perfected my pre-race hydration strategy... Cuz I had not yet met Suzy!!! ;) (OK, still haven't MET her in real-life-I-can-hug-you-and-drink-a-beer-with-you, but to me I've totally met her! Ha!)  

What is Suzy's pre-race hydration strategy? Spill.

Ok, I've been reading all of the posts.  More like skimming just to keep up!  LOL  

I'm SUCH a newbie compared to all of you that I'm not sure where to begin.  I only started swimming and running a few months ago, so biking is the only of the three disciplines that I have any experience with and that's limited!  I've been adding distance to my runs VERY slowly and I'm up to 4 miles for my long runs.  Swimming, I like, but I'm struggling to get relaxed in the water and I know that's limiting my ability to go longer distances.  I can swim 200yds (on a good day), but then I'm completely out of breath and have to take a break.  I'm also in that "over 40" age group, so every day it's a balancing act between pushing myself to new times and new distances without injury.  

That said, I'm loving all of this and getting stronger every day, it's just sometimes I get impatient.

Oh, this newbie's opinion on "running" a marathon--I could probably go out and run/walk a marathon and finish, even at my inadequate fitness level (well, maybe :-)  So I agree with the people who said it really depends on where you are individually.  Anything under a 12 min/mile pace would be blazing for me!! LOL

Good luck this weekend those of you who are racing

Edited by jfought 2011-04-14 8:07 AM
2011-04-14 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3445586

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2011-04-13 10:16 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-13 6:40 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-13 7:49 PM

Fatty--my first stand alone marathon was a 5:04 using a run a mile, walk a minute strategy....oh and includes waiting for my BFFs 3 bathroom breaks.  My legs definitely said I did a marathon.  I see it as very individual and based on fitness level at the time.  If I came in at 4:30+ now, I would consider it a bomb!

about time you show up.  you're the cause of all my pent up anger and frustration!!!  did you know that if your ironman bike is 6:30 or greater you can't run the marathon. you know... like run the marathon. 

thanks everyone for your replies.  lots of great input from everyone.  and very interesting to read your thoughts!  and trev... its ok man.. you ran a marathon! at least in my book!!!! 

What do you mean about the 6:30 thing?

if your bike is 6:30 or slower you can't run the marathon.  the m&m guys (peanut, of course) will hunt you down if you try to do.  and they have this weird power that will make you really short.  and then you'll be banished to wisconsin. 

2011-04-14 7:07 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2011-04-14 12:00 AM

I wanna see it!!

Back to tri talk...

Help?

i'm right there with you slacks.  i never had a more difficult time trying to stay hydradted then i am now.  pretty sure the traing load is the major reason but i can't help think that the drier climate here in georgia plays a role.

i have a 1000 ml ( ya like that canadians!)  bottle i keep in my office.  lately i started throwing in a little gatorade just to change up the flavor.  i think you're on to something with the nunn, limes, lemons, whatever to change things up and keep it semi interesting. 

i can't tell you when the last time i took a leak and idn't pay attention to the color was.  even in the middle of the night i can make it to the bathroom in the dark but i always turn the light on to see how i'm doing.  i think its a pretty good idea and helps regulate whats going on.

2011-04-14 7:08 AM
in reply to: #3445646

User image

Champion
marietta
tdl1972 - 2011-04-13 10:39 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-13 6:25 AM

I'm EXCITED because I know at least one person has the race of her life this weekend (well Monday!), who else is toeing the line?  Spill your strategy!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!!  

No racing for me yet, but it's closing fast (about 4.5 weeks away).  As for strategy:  get to the turkey legs and beer as fast as I can!

awesome!

2011-04-14 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3445060

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
kkcbelle - 2011-04-13 3:55 PM
gdale - 2011-04-13 12:43 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-13 3:18 PM
gdale - 2011-04-13 3:04 PM

What is the slowest finishing time that you would consider someone ran a marathon?   walking aid stations is fine bathroom breaks etc are fine....

i completed one marathon and walked a few miles with my buddy that hurt his knee.  i was 5:21 (i think)   so to answer my own question,  i say 5 hours.

thanks.

So is your question about what overall pace that we consider running?  What is the break between running a walking a marathon?

edit - or is it more of a personal question of what we would consider a good time for ourselves?

yes, pace works.  what pace would you consider running? 

To me, a walk is about 15 min/mile so you've got to be faster than that.  I think around 12 min/mile gets you there which works out to about 5:15 based on your original question.

For me personally, I would want to go better than 9.5 min/mile to feel like I ran it.

We will see if I change my tune come October when I run my first Surprised

George

Curious why you are asking, Fatty? Does this have anything to do with your IM and nabbing a time where you feel like you RAN the marathon part? Or is there something else going on??? Just curious as to why you are curious!!

Good luck this weekend, racers!! So very excited to cheer ya on, and to hear all about Kim's adventures, from red-eye to race!!

So John - you never answered Kyla's question.  I too am curious.  Are you writing a book or something?

2011-04-14 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3445913

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2011-04-14 8:13 AM

thanks.

So is your question about what overall pace that we consider running?  What is the break between running a walking a marathon?

edit - or is it more of a personal question of what we would consider a good time for ourselves?

To me, a walk is about 15 min/mile so you've got to be faster than that.  I think around 12 min/mile gets you there which works out to about 5:15 based on your original question.

For me personally, I would want to go better than 9.5 min/mile to feel like I ran it.

George

Curious why you are asking, Fatty? Does this have anything to do with your IM and nabbing a time where you feel like you RAN the marathon part? Or is there something else going on??? Just curious as to why you are curious!!

Good luck this weekend, racers!! So very excited to cheer ya on, and to hear all about Kim's adventures, from red-eye to race!!

So John - you never answered Kyla's question.  I too am curious.  Are you writing a book or something?

i am.  care to comment on the question?  i'd like to hear your take. 

2011-04-14 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3445916

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-14 7:16 AM

thanks.

George

well I think it's all relative.  I've done 4 marathons - 4:30, 4:09, 5:06, 3:59.  I certainly walked at times in all of them but I certainly tell people that I have run 4 marathons.  And I suppose the 5:06 at Disney I might not consider that I "ran" it since we took lots of pictures.  But my legs sure thought I ran it.

And someone you "runs" a sub 3 hr marathon might consider my efforts slow and not running if they did the same time.  I suppose my thoughts are if you walk more time/miles than you ran/jogged than you walked a marathon.  But 26m is long way no matter how you do it.  And I would never diminish anyone's accomplishment or effort.  It's a hell of a lot better than the couch.

2011-04-14 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3445962

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2011-04-14 8:37 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-14 7:16 AM

thanks.

George

well I think it's all relative.  I've done 4 marathons - 4:30, 4:09, 5:06, 3:59.  I certainly walked at times in all of them but I certainly tell people that I have run 4 marathons.  And I suppose the 5:06 at Disney I might not consider that I "ran" it since we took lots of pictures.  But my legs sure thought I ran it.

And someone you "runs" a sub 3 hr marathon might consider my efforts slow and not running if they did the same time.  I suppose my thoughts are if you walk more time/miles than you ran/jogged than you walked a marathon.  But 26m is long way no matter how you do it.  And I would never diminish anyone's accomplishment or effort.  It's a hell of a lot better than the couch.

awesome!  thanks!  and you're damn right about that! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298