General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-06-29 3:24 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread
Got my lasts 3 hour run done today. Was humid but stayed nice and gray for the first 8 miles. I was kind of bummed on the gray because I felt like I needed some hot weather practice. For the last 9 miles It was hot but around here hot means high 70s. Doesn't it feel good to be putting these long days behind us?

2013-06-29 5:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

102 miles on the bike and then 6.4 mile run today. My mental state wavering. It was only 80 today but again the wind. Holy cow that stupid wind just takes it out of me! After 2 hours of HR training, I can't keep it up to where it should be. I don't know if it's physical of mental but I hate that wind! Tomorrow is a 2:45 run for me + 1:30 bike spin and then hell week starts. I wanted to quit really bad today but just 1 more horrible week followed by a semi horrible first week taper. At least I can see my run after bike is getting better. I'm mainly a runner but I am NOT a good runner after biking. I'm hoping on race day I say screw the pain and tiredness and push through it. I originally planned to run with a HR monitor but thinking I'll leave it off since there's no way I'll go over my target HR on the run since I'll be adding a decent amount of walks but I do plan to use it on the bike to make sure I am pushing hard enough and am not pushing too hard on hills.

Oh yeah, is anyone going to the award/picture thing the next day? I'd like to go but it's at 10:30.... No way I'll AG but I think it will be interesting but I have no idea how I'll feel the next day and if waking up at 9ish will be doable.

akrenik - I'm just hoping...really really hoping that this record heat wave is over with when the race is on. I really don't know if I could survive a 140 miles in 100 degree heat. I feel sorry for the 1/2 Vineman people if this sticks around. I think that's next week..

Edited by Blastman 2013-06-29 5:15 PM
2013-06-29 8:06 PM

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Awesome! I will rock a BT tattoo!!

What about meeting up Friday morning for coffee? With coffee we don't have to commit to a meal or too much time - just 15 or 20 min (or longer if you like) to meet and greet. Looks like the expo/check-in/etc doesn't start till 11:30 a.m. and I'm sure we'll all have different schedules once that is open...

I will poke around on Yelp but for those who have done this before is there a local coffee shop in an area that would make sense for us to meet? 

I think coffee would work. I'm not a coffee drinker though, so I order some tea or something. Just remembered that CO2 isn't allowed on a plane (that I know of), so I'll need to find some Thursdays at a LBS (ideas??). I also want to spent Thursday putting my bike back together and heading over to a shop if something isn't right. Just got my bike torque wrench set today. Hoping I don't over over weight limit on baggage with the tools I'm going to bring.

Edited by Blastman 2013-06-29 8:10 PM
2013-06-29 8:42 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Salem
There are a couple shops in Windsor. Probably able to get them at the Expo as well.

2013-06-30 1:25 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Got in a 3-hour run yesterday, kind of brutal only 15 miles. 
Waiting for my lunch to settle a bit before heading out for 95-97 miles on the bike. I can do this. 
2013-06-30 3:02 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Salem

Waiting for my lunch to settle a bit before heading out for 95-97 miles on the bike. I can do this. 

YOU CAN!

2013-06-30 3:27 PM

User image

Ha sounds like me. I had "lunch" at 9:30 went to run at 12 and did ok for an hour (burping up lunch though...). Then it hit me. I felt like I was going to throw up then and there. Worst I ever had it. I went home and even in the car I felt the urge. Just finished mowing the yard and I guilt tripped myself so much that I'm heading back out to finish the 1:45 I have left now. Not really a true long run but I wasn't getting it done strait though today either way. Guess I ate too much because I've done the sleep in, eat lunch, run ~2-3 hours later thing before.

Good luck on the bike though! Hopefully it's not too windy today.
2013-06-30 7:01 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Blastman
Originally posted by lisac957 Got in a 3-hour run yesterday, kind of brutal only 15 miles. 
Ha sounds like me. I had "lunch" at 9:30 went to run at 12 and did ok for an hour (burping up lunch though...). Then it hit me. I felt like I was going to throw up then and there. Worst I ever had it. I went home and even in the car I felt the urge. Just finished mowing the yard and I guilt tripped myself so much that I'm heading back out to finish the 1:45 I have left now. Not really a true long run but I wasn't getting it done strait though today either way. Guess I ate too much because I've done the sleep in, eat lunch, run ~2-3 hours later thing before. Good luck on the bike though! Hopefully it's not too windy today.

Ugh, total fail.

Only 15-20mph winds but something was wrong with my body today. Didn't feel right from the start, couldn't get enough water and felt shaky/achy. Bagged it at 40 miles. Disappointed. 

2013-06-30 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Second century in the books.  Got rained on for a bit about 2/3 of the way in, and my quads were just on fire towards the end, but I shaved nearly 20 minutes off my century from a few weeks ago.  The bike is getting there!

I have an MRI tomorrow afternoon for my hip, so hopefully we can rule out anything structural with my issues. 

2013-06-30 10:38 PM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Originally posted by swgtri

Second century in the books.  Got rained on for a bit about 2/3 of the way in, and my quads were just on fire towards the end, but I shaved nearly 20 minutes off my century from a few weeks ago.  The bike is getting there!

I have an MRI tomorrow afternoon for my hip, so hopefully we can rule out anything structural with my issues. 

Nice way to go! I only added ~2 miles this week on my long bike ride and it was 15 degrees cooler (take time). Doh.

Keep it up everyone, just 1 horrible week left!
2013-06-30 11:44 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Originally posted by Blastman
Originally posted by lisac957 Got in a 3-hour run yesterday, kind of brutal only 15 miles. 
Ha sounds like me. I had "lunch" at 9:30 went to run at 12 and did ok for an hour (burping up lunch though...). Then it hit me. I felt like I was going to throw up then and there. Worst I ever had it. I went home and even in the car I felt the urge. Just finished mowing the yard and I guilt tripped myself so much that I'm heading back out to finish the 1:45 I have left now. Not really a true long run but I wasn't getting it done strait though today either way. Guess I ate too much because I've done the sleep in, eat lunch, run ~2-3 hours later thing before. Good luck on the bike though! Hopefully it's not too windy today.

Ugh, total fail.

Only 15-20mph winds but something was wrong with my body today. Didn't feel right from the start, couldn't get enough water and felt shaky/achy. Bagged it at 40 miles. Disappointed. 

That happened to me last week twice. Once while swimming and my Friday evening run. Bounced back on my Saturday bike, this morning's swim and tonight's run. Keep believing and stay after it.

2013-06-30 11:51 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Long run late afternoon. My wife who usually says why don't you wait until it cools off pushed me to go when it was still hot. She says " it will be this hot at the race won't it. I just looked at her. It was 93 degrees out. I changed my interval tonight to an5 min. Run and 1 min. Walk. Worked pretty good for the heat. The second Half of the run I did two run intervals and walked the third. Legs are pretty sore and tight. I recover well so should be ok in the morning for my PT session.

Have a great week everyone.
2013-07-01 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
You guys are awesome! Great job to all! You are making me feel like the biggest sissy! Haha! I was supposed to do a 6 hour bike ride yesterday but felt like mentally and physically I needed a rest day. I decided to switch yesterday's ride with today's rest day. Was a good idea at the time, but now I am sitting here wishing the ride was behind me and that I could relax today. Oh well...of I go to get in the saddle.
2013-07-01 3:17 PM
in reply to: akrenik

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
This heat is kicking my butt too, I was supposed to do 108 on the bike and then 4 mile run, I only got 60 in the bike and then the run. My plan for this weekend is to get 30 on the trainer, and then start my ride. Hope that helps

My longest trainer ride so far has been 2 hours, my silly question is do I need to worry about the tire heating up too much if I go longer? anybody have any motivation secrets for the drainer?
2013-07-01 4:00 PM
in reply to: kenb

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by kenb This heat is kicking my butt too, I was supposed to do 108 on the bike and then 4 mile run, I only got 60 in the bike and then the run. My plan for this weekend is to get 30 on the trainer, and then start my ride. Hope that helps My longest trainer ride so far has been 2 hours, my silly question is do I need to worry about the tire heating up too much if I go longer? anybody have any motivation secrets for the drainer?

For the 3-hour trainer session I did the other week I put in a movie (Avatar, nice and long one). Also let myself get off at the halfway point to re-charge. 

Have also done music, a book, internet (via phone)... whatever it takes!

I've never had tire issues but if you have an older one lying around you might switch it out for this ride if you're worried. 

2013-07-01 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Originally posted by kenb This heat is kicking my butt too, I was supposed to do 108 on the bike and then 4 mile run, I only got 60 in the bike and then the run. My plan for this weekend is to get 30 on the trainer, and then start my ride. Hope that helps My longest trainer ride so far has been 2 hours, my silly question is do I need to worry about the tire heating up too much if I go longer? anybody have any motivation secrets for the drainer?

I had to do a lot of long trainer rides training for an early season race a few years ago.  My coach choreographed workouts to go along with the Star Wars movies--something along the lines of "When there is a lightsaber fight, shift up to a hill climb.  Sprint whenever anyone talks about 'feelings.'"  I used a similar approach with the complete Alias boxed set.

I've never had issues with my tire.

2013-07-01 7:17 PM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by swgtri

I had to do a lot of long trainer rides training for an early season race a few years ago.  My coach choreographed workouts to go along with the Star Wars movies--something along the lines of "When there is a lightsaber fight, shift up to a hill climb.  Sprint whenever anyone talks about 'feelings.'"  I used a similar approach with the complete Alias boxed set.

I've never had issues with my tire.

I watch series on Amazon Prime. I'm Into Warehouse 13 right now. I have watched Falling Skies, Downton Abby, and Grimm Series. I have used an older tire before I purchased a trainer tire. Didn't have any issues other than making the mistake of accidentally touching the tire after finishing riding and it cooling down. Burned my forearm.

I plan to ride a couple hours on the trainer before heading out on Sat. 6 hr ride planned.
2013-07-01 9:16 PM

User image

Ha love the Star Wars timing training! About heating the tire: no I've gone up to 3.5 hours on the trainer with no issues. I did get a trainer tire since I heard the trainer will eat up normal tires. On those long training rides, I sometimes would stop once to run to restroom until I got my drinking down, so that may have cooled it a bit but not much. I swore I'd never do anything about that duration again on the trainer but if it rains like crazy like the time I decided to go outside, I definitely learned that the trainer is better than being cold and wet (and better on my bike).
2013-07-01 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
I did it guys! For the first time I rode 102 miles! I'm so excited. I don't know what the total climbing was but it was a LOT. Now I know I will be able to make the bike distance in the race. This is a huge load off my mind. If I have to stop to use the bathroom or stop at an aide station it is going to probably take me close to 8 hours to complete the bike, but by gosh I'm going to complete it!

Edited by akrenik 2013-07-01 9:20 PM
2013-07-01 10:04 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Originally posted by akrenik I did it guys! For the first time I rode 102 miles! I'm so excited. I don't know what the total climbing was but it was a LOT. Now I know I will be able to make the bike distance in the race. This is a huge load off my mind. If I have to stop to use the bathroom or stop at an aide station it is going to probably take me close to 8 hours to complete the bike, but by gosh I'm going to complete it!

WOOHOO! Great job gutting it out!

2013-07-01 10:26 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by akrenik

I did it guys! For the first time I rode 102 miles! I'm so excited. I don't know what the total climbing was but it was a LOT. Now I know I will be able to make the bike distance in the race. This is a huge load off my mind. If I have to stop to use the bathroom or stop at an aide station it is going to probably take me close to 8 hours to complete the bike, but by gosh I'm going to complete it!

Great feeling isn't it. Way to go!

2013-07-02 11:58 AM

User image

Foster City, CA
Hi all,

I've been following this thread for quite a while now, always meaning to join "officially", but just couldn't find the 5 free minutes to post. Better late than never... Thanks for all of your great motivational posts - they definitely keep me going!

This is my first time at the Ironman distance - I have done a couple HIMs (including Vineman 70.3 in 2011) and a handful of Olys. I've been following the BT Beginner Ironman plan and (so far) it's been working well. I'm definitely ready to get past the peak training days (9+ hours this Saturday??)!

Best of luck to everyone in these final weeks.

Lloyd.
2013-07-02 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Originally posted by akrenik

Great job!! and great learning opportunity. I learned so much about my nutrition , and equipment needs after 100 miles
2013-07-02 3:19 PM
in reply to: lalexander

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Hey Lloyd,

Welcome to the thread !
2013-07-02 11:13 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Did a 1 hour run in the early evening and it still was 93 degrees out. I only ran an hour and it was tough. I used it as a way to practice my positive talk to myself when it was getting tough. I am sure it was also some residual effects from this weekends training. Have a good week.

Welcome Lloyd.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 29