BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-04-29 9:18 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2
Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by mtnbikerchkLooks like it was a pretty good weekend all around!Judi - congrats on the 10K! You take what the day (and your body) will give you! SUCKS about your LBS. GO FIND A GOOD ONE! Jonathan - ouch on the legs/hydration. It's so tricky but once you get it dialed in you'll be unstoppableKate - another win for the manaTEAM! Sounds like a pretty good day.ME? Yeah, I pr'd my 10K by 3 minutes despite being scared to death that my tendonitis was going to prevent me from being able to walk to the car after. I was, in fact, able to run and walk to the car after with no real pain. Of course then sitting in the car for 10 minutes seized everything up but my PT swears it's getting better! Mondays suck - so I hope you all survive yours as I hope to mine!
Woo Hoo! A 3 minute PR over a 10k is really awesome, congrats!!!!!

Don't know how I missed this ?????.  Dang, Randee, you're amazing!!

WOO HOO!!! THANKS!!

I hired Mike Plumb to be my tri coach - YAY! And today was my first swim workout. And a workout it was especially considering I blew off the last 6 weeks in the pool. DUMMY.

THEN I sat outside the vet office this am waiting to get cat food at 7:51am because the sign said hours: m, t, th 7am-7pm, w, f 8am-6pm. Yeah, I thought it was Wednesday. D'OH!!

Have a good day all - hope it gets better than that

2014-04-29 9:36 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by MadMathemagician We'll weather forecasting has finally become more of a science than an art. Dodged one tornado already. The track passed about three miles south. It's shaping up to be a long evening. There are warnings to the east, south and west.

That is a bit close for comfort.  Keeping my fingers crossed the storms keep missing you and your loved ones.

2014-04-29 9:47 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by MadMathemagician We'll weather forecasting has finally become more of a science than an art. Dodged one tornado already. The track passed about three miles south. It's shaping up to be a long evening. There are warnings to the east, south and west.

That is a bit close for comfort.  Keeping my fingers crossed the storms keep missing you and your loved ones.

Saw that there were more people killed last night close to you.  Hope you're okay!!

2014-04-29 10:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Saw that there were more people killed last night close to you.  Hope you're okay!!

In TN my grandpa had his garden washed away.  Lots of water there.  They had a tornado hit their place a year ago.

Edited by ponderingfox 2014-04-29 10:04 AM
2014-04-29 10:16 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by mtnbikerchkLooks like it was a pretty good weekend all around!Judi - congrats on the 10K! You take what the day (and your body) will give you! SUCKS about your LBS. GO FIND A GOOD ONE! Jonathan - ouch on the legs/hydration. It's so tricky but once you get it dialed in you'll be unstoppableKate - another win for the manaTEAM! Sounds like a pretty good day.ME? Yeah, I pr'd my 10K by 3 minutes despite being scared to death that my tendonitis was going to prevent me from being able to walk to the car after. I was, in fact, able to run and walk to the car after with no real pain. Of course then sitting in the car for 10 minutes seized everything up but my PT swears it's getting better! Mondays suck - so I hope you all survive yours as I hope to mine!
Woo Hoo! A 3 minute PR over a 10k is really awesome, congrats!!!!!

Don't know how I missed this ?????.  Dang, Randee, you're amazing!!

WOO HOO!!! THANKS!! I hired Mike Plumb to be my tri coach - YAY! And today was my first swim workout. And a workout it was especially considering I blew off the last 6 weeks in the pool. DUMMY. THEN I sat outside the vet office this am waiting to get cat food at 7:51am because the sign said hours: m, t, th 7am-7pm, w, f 8am-6pm. Yeah, I thought it was Wednesday. D'OH!! Have a good day all - hope it gets better than that

Hey. At least you were up and presumably dressed at 7:51am

CONSPANKULATIONS RANDEETEE!!!

2014-04-29 10:17 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by ponderingfox

In TN my grandpa had his garden washed away.  Lots of water there.  They had a tornado hit their place a year ago.

Yikes.

Very sad to be seeing the news about those areas.

2014-04-29 11:03 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

We made it okay.  The folks just east of us weren't so lucky.  

2014-04-29 12:10 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by MadMathemagician

So happy you're ok.

So sad for those hit
2014-04-29 12:36 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Melon Presser

So happy you're ok. So sad for those hit

Same here. Thanks for checking in.

2014-04-29 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Whew. I'm back. Been keeping up via email but haven't caught up on RR's yet.

I have a question for you bike brainiacs. DH and I went to the annual bike swap over the weekend. I scored a new pair of bike shoes for $25! The problem... I didn't look at the bottom. They are set up for the Look system and I am running the SPD system. So I figure my options are 1) waste/donate $25 worth of bike shoes and stick with mine, 2) switch to Look or SPD-SL (i think those would work wouldn't they) 3) I think I saw an adapter somewhere.

I'm not unhappy with the SPD system but hear good things about the SPD-SL. My old shoes are getting tired. That's why I was so excited to find the marked down shoes at the bike swap (don't recall what brand they are). Also need to consider the fact that I will have to run in them during races (I don't leave my shoes clipped in).

Thoughts?

2014-04-29 1:06 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

I have a question for you bike brainiacs. DH and I went to the annual bike swap over the weekend. I scored a new pair of bike shoes for $25! The problem... I didn't look at the bottom. They are set up for the Look system and I am running the SPD system. So I figure my options are 1) waste/donate $25 worth of bike shoes and stick with mine, 2) switch to Look or SPD-SL (i think those would work wouldn't they) 3) I think I saw an adapter somewhere.

I'm not unhappy with the SPD system but hear good things about the SPD-SL. My old shoes are getting tired. That's why I was so excited to find the marked down shoes at the bike swap (don't recall what brand they are). Also need to consider the fact that I will have to run in them during races (I don't leave my shoes clipped in).

Thoughts?

Are they smooth bottomed road shoes or mtb shoes?  Not all road shoes can fit SPD so that's the first thing (the holes screw the cleats in may not work).  Secondly, if you switch to SPD-SL on your tri bike, what will you do with your mountain bike?  Use your tired old shoes?

2014-04-29 1:13 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

So happy you're ok. So sad for those hit

Same here. Thanks for checking in.

X 2.  Keeping your area in my thoughts - based on our weather in CO, I'm guessing there's still more to come.  Take care. 

2014-04-29 1:15 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Thoughts?

Are they smooth bottomed road shoes or mtb shoes?  Not all road shoes can fit SPD so that's the first thing (the holes screw the cleats in may not work).  Secondly, if you switch to SPD-SL on your tri bike, what will you do with your mountain bike?  Use your tired old shoes?

They are smooth bottomed shoes. The SPD's will not work unless I buy an adapter (think i saw one online). As for the MTB, I do have some MTB shoes I rarely wear, but then I rarely ride the MTB

2014-04-29 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Some scenes from my trip to Moab. We spent most of the time wheeling (with a little hiking) but I was able to squeeze in some time to run and bike.

(photo 1.JPG)

(photo 2.JPG)

(photo 3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo 1.JPG (105KB - 2 downloads)
photo 2.JPG (91KB - 3 downloads)
photo 3.JPG (111KB - 4 downloads)
2014-04-29 1:29 PM

User image

Seattle

Got my first couple runs back in the books. Damn it feels good to run! It's crazy how much I miss it after just a few days! Taking a nice easy week then building into ... uhhh, well, building into something. 

Also, here is my Boston Marathon Race Report

2014-04-29 1:30 PM

User image

Seattle

Some scenes from my trip to Moab. We spent most of the time wheeling (with a little hiking) but I was able to squeeze in some time to run and bike.

Those are awesome!

I've gotten bitten by the hiking bug again it seems. Been spending some time on outsideonline drooling. 

2014-04-29 1:32 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Gorgeous!!  Thanks for sharing!  (Makes me a little jealous....)

2014-04-29 3:44 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hey all.  Back from vaca (awesome family trip) where it was tough to connect.  Lots happened here!  I'll comment as I'm able to catch up...

On this end, it looks like my season is in trouble.  My knee won't go more than a couple miles running, despite a rest period and easy ramp.  So, while I can do a couple miles at a time (so, lots of short runs in my future - which is better than the couch!), I can't do anything like "train."  

We'll see what a season without racing (might complete a couple, if I can get the distance back on the run - even without the speed) is like, as racing is my thing. Or maybe I'll be able to get back on track for the second half - we'll see.

Ugh - all that winter base evaporating…  At least I'm in shape for bikini season.  

Matt

2014-04-29 3:52 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hey all.  Back from vaca (awesome family trip) where it was tough to connect.  Lots happened here!  I'll comment as I'm able to catch up...

On this end, it looks like my season is in trouble.  My knee won't go more than a couple miles running, despite a rest period and easy ramp.  So, while I can do a couple miles at a time (so, lots of short runs in my future - which is better than the couch!), I can't do anything like "train."  

We'll see what a season without racing (might complete a couple, if I can get the distance back on the run - even without the speed) is like, as racing is my thing. Or maybe I'll be able to get back on track for the second half - we'll see.

Ugh - all that winter base evaporating…  At least I'm in shape for bikini season.  

Matt

Well, crud, Matt.  That stinks.  I suppose if you get desperate, you could do some tri relays and have somebody else do the running.  It wouldn't be the same but at least you'd be doing something that remotely resembles racing without killing yourself.  Wouldn't advise fishing in a bikini, though.  Could lead to a nasty sunburn.

2014-04-29 4:26 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Very beautiful!  Someday I'll get there, until then I will drool over you and Erin's pics...

2014-04-29 4:28 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

Have you seen any medical-type people about your knee?  PT? ART? Ortho? Doctor?  Sorry to hear your season is possibly in jeopardy, could you at least do sprint distance races?  I know, far from 'racing' if you are used to and prefer the long stuff but it's something, which as you said, is better than nothing.

2014-04-29 4:29 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Got my first couple runs back in the books. Damn it feels good to run! It's crazy how much I miss it after just a few days! Taking a nice easy week then building into ... uhhh, well, building into something. 

Also, here is my Boston Marathon Race Report

So you are over your illness?  Glad to see ya back!

2014-04-29 6:47 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Melon Presser

HELP!!!

Very upset, what to do? Lovely cat (not mine) with spinal cord injuries, my dogs were having a go at it (didn't break skin and left it alone right away when I yelled). Not sure if they did it or two dogs that are skulking about my gate (or even if cat had accident/got hit and then crawled under).

It's now trapped in the hood compartment of my car, cannot get it out, have a box with smelly wet food in it by nearest wheel well. Watching from kitchen window. Cat can only drag itself by front legs--can move quite quickly but not far.

Any ideas on how to get it out? (Plan to take it to emergency vet, they are waiting).

unfortunately cat is literally in between/underneath hoses, cables, and partially covered by car battery. It stuck itself in there. I could poke it with a broom or squirt it with water?

2014-04-29 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

HELP!!!

Very upset, what to do? Lovely cat (not mine) with spinal cord injuries, my dogs were having a go at it (didn't break skin and left it alone right away when I yelled). Not sure if they did it or two dogs that are skulking about my gate (or even if cat had accident/got hit and then crawled under).

It's now trapped in the hood compartment of my car, cannot get it out, have a box with smelly wet food in it by nearest wheel well. Watching from kitchen window. Cat can only drag itself by front legs--can move quite quickly but not far.

Any ideas on how to get it out? (Plan to take it to emergency vet, they are waiting).

unfortunately cat is literally in between/underneath hoses, cables, and partially covered by car battery. It stuck itself in there. I could poke it with a broom or squirt it with water?

Oh no! If he's stuck in there, can you use a towel and cover him up and then pull him out?
2014-04-29 6:58 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Melon Presser

HELP!!!

Oh no! If he's stuck in there, can you use a towel and cover him up and then pull him out?

Thanks hon, (how're ur legs) unf. not possible--really stuck in there. Might be able to get a rope threaded around him--am gonna wait just a little while to see if it'll come out and/or reinforcements arrive.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 64689 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28165 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16393 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100353 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.