BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-05 1:55 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
, California
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Fred D Long run got spoiled by a calf/hamstring tightness. On the good news front my team Zoot kit finally arrived. Very cool! Happy 4th everyone.

Same boat here except I did it about a month ago.  I wouldn't even know something is wrong until I go running, then it acts up all over again.  I'm hoping it'll be healed in time for Canada but I don't think I can train any running in the meantime.  Irritating.

2014-07-05 3:36 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Crazy windy here today with the hurricane leftovers coming through.  65km/hr gusting to 90 but it's sunny so I figured I might as well go for a run.    It was almost funny in places as I could barely move forward into the wind when the gusts came through.  There is a hill (600 meters at 3%) that I went up with the wind at my back at a 4:20/km pace and on the way back down into the wind, it was more like 5:30/km.  Pretty sure I've never had that happen before.

Pretty sure I would have taken the bike out and gone for some KOMs...

2014-07-06 10:31 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Crazy windy here today with the hurricane leftovers coming through.  65km/hr gusting to 90 but it's sunny so I figured I might as well go for a run.    It was almost funny in places as I could barely move forward into the wind when the gusts came through.  There is a hill (600 meters at 3%) that I went up with the wind at my back at a 4:20/km pace and on the way back down into the wind, it was more like 5:30/km.  Pretty sure I've never had that happen before.

Like this? 

http://www.strava.com/activities/162432184/segments/3769592541

2014-07-06 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Like this? 

I was a bit concerned for your safety this morning as I watched the Weather Channel. Evidently, there was nothing for me to worry about, you put everything to good use.

2014-07-06 12:02 PM

User image

Like this? 

LOL.

I did my first mountain bike race yesterday.  Borrowed a bike, shoes, and pedals and just went for it.  I had no freakin clue the course was so hilly and technical.  I thought I was going to die at least 20 times on some of the downhills and single track.  Did take a couple of small spills when my front wheel would hit a big rock the wrong way, but I wasn't going that fast through those areas.  Some of the climbs were short grassy sections over 30% at the top.  It was pretty much like WTF...we have to ride up there?  With mountain bike gearing I did have enough power, but most times I would pop a wheelie and then had to dismount and push the bike...which was super hard as well. 

Not sure I will be doing much more mountain bike racing in the near future.  Would love to get into it, but I need far more practice before taking on a course like that again.  Finished MOP...about 40 minutes behind the winner at 2:25.

2014-07-06 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I went for an hour long run this morning in 80F temp and 100% humidity -- by the end, my shoes and socks were completely saturated.  I think I'm gonna have to start bringing two sets so I can change half way through longer runs!

2014-07-06 5:55 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by cdban66

Like this? 

I was a bit concerned for your safety this morning as I watched the Weather Channel. Evidently, there was nothing for me to worry about, you put everything to good use.

Meh, there was no real danger.  It was pretty windy but not enough to do more than knock over some trees and sink a few boats in the harbour....  Lots of people still without power from downed trees (individual places may not get it back until Thursday apparently).  The wind direction meant it wasn't going to knock any trees into our house.

2014-07-06 5:57 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Like this? 

LOL.

I did my first mountain bike race yesterday.  Borrowed a bike, shoes, and pedals and just went for it.  I had no freakin clue the course was so hilly and technical.  I thought I was going to die at least 20 times on some of the downhills and single track.  Did take a couple of small spills when my front wheel would hit a big rock the wrong way, but I wasn't going that fast through those areas.  Some of the climbs were short grassy sections over 30% at the top.  It was pretty much like WTF...we have to ride up there?  With mountain bike gearing I did have enough power, but most times I would pop a wheelie and then had to dismount and push the bike...which was super hard as well. 

Not sure I will be doing much more mountain bike racing in the near future.  Would love to get into it, but I need far more practice before taking on a course like that again.  Finished MOP...about 40 minutes behind the winner at 2:25.

I have a couple of friends that keep trying to talk me into mountain biking.  What you describe is pretty much why I keep saying no.    I'd either break my neck or absolutely love it and have to buy more stuff.

2014-07-06 7:52 PM

User image

Little Harbour
Today being I had no power until a hour ago I went to the pool and did a 1000m swim followed by a 35K bike ride....getting ready for that OLY distance at the end of the month
2014-07-06 7:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-06 7:56 PM
in reply to: Divemedic

2014-07-06 8:01 PM

2014-07-06 8:04 PM

Little Harbour
Right now being my first...to finish
2014-07-06 9:01 PM
in reply to: Divemedic

2014-07-07 4:43 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Had a good weekend of training. 2 solid rides and a good swim. Got a bit dehydrated today on the bike but battled thru it. I am VERY pleased to say that my weight is done to 157. This likely puts me in the 4.3-4.4 W/Kg range, which I couldn't be happier with. Maybe something to do with my coach?

Fred, looking at your rides on Strava it looks like you are going to crush it at IMMT!  How do you feel your bike fitness compares to 2012?

2014-07-07 4:47 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by DivemedicRight now being my first...to finish
finish with a smile?

I recommend finishing with a smile rather than just finishing!  

2014-07-07 7:01 AM

2014-07-07 7:25 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Fred D Had a good weekend of training. 2 solid rides and a good swim. Got a bit dehydrated today on the bike but battled thru it. I am VERY pleased to say that my weight is done to 157. This likely puts me in the 4.3-4.4 W/Kg range, which I couldn't be happier with. Maybe something to do with my coach?

Fred, looking at your rides on Strava it looks like you are going to crush it at IMMT!  How do you feel your bike fitness compares to 2012?

. Arend, I know this will sound like a sandbagger comment, but my goal is to finish IMMT with a smile, nothing more. My bike fitness is higher than 2012, but more importantly my swim and run are much better than 2012. My weight is also 10-15 lbs lower. I am also riding a much more aero setup.

And finishing with a smile doesn't have to mean you went on a sight-seeing tour. Done this plenty of times. Don't want to think about specific times or placing, just want to put in a good effort and enjoy being out there. Let those other things fall where they may.

2014-07-07 7:40 AM

Master
Northern IL

Like this? 

LOL.

I have a couple of friends that keep trying to talk me into mountain biking.  What you describe is pretty much why I keep saying no.    I'd either break my neck or absolutely love it and have to buy more stuff.

Mountain biking certainly has its differences from being on the road. Used to do it a lot more, but not enough trails around here to really keep up the interest. It can depend a lot on the trail too, how well it matches up with what you like to do. Some people like it a lot more technical than others. I tend to like needing to pick lines well, but without having to constantly have to slow and go over things so carefully. Kind of like having an obstacle course to run though. Fine to have some really tough things every now and then, but much of the time I just want to get out and run. The mountain biking will certainly work things a bit different as you have to be able to keep control much better than on the roads. Very tough mentally. With the wheel popping, think Jason was running into the balancing act and smooth pedaling action. Staying forward just enough to keep the wheel down, while not so far up that the rear wheel spins out. Also have to keep a more constant power output so it doesn't slip. A lot more to pay attention to.

Interesting enough, I've had more notable injuries on the roads or paved pathways than while mountain biking. Think I've gone over a few more times, but the speeds are so much lower on average that there wasn't going to be a lot of damage. On the one trail system where I did much of the harder riding (MUP doesn't really count towards this), a final average of 8-10 mph was moving right along. Running speed for many of us if you include intervals & tempos.

2014-07-07 9:00 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Little Harbour
I will be finishing with a huge smile!!! I know I will be tired and in pain...but I will enjoy every second of it.
2014-07-07 1:20 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Ben...the wheel popping was exactly as you described.  The sections were so steep that standing up was not an option and it was indeed a balance of trying to put your chest to the handlebars...but not too much.  The main reason though that I popped up most of the time was that I'd hit a bump.  You'd think they'd make those 30%+ grades smooth huh?  LOL.  There were a couple of times where I tried to quickly dismount in those situations and was scared I might actually fall and tumble all the way to the bottom of the hill...HAH.

I really enjoyed it though...at least the parts that were not life threatening.  I can imagine myself riding much tamer courses for fun in the off season.  A friend of mine had his go pro set up to take pictures every 10 seconds...hopefully I can share some.  

2014-07-07 4:52 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Great if strange past few days...  

Locked my bike onto my rack for the ride to the beach - and left my key at home.  Not frustrating or anything (and watching salt spray come over the bluff during the hurricane and soak the bike was making me nuts!).

Got a mild concussion surfing in the aftermath of Arthur (sounds more dangerous than it was - waves were tame enough for the whole family, but I got the board for my "turn" just as a wave hit).  Then I got pulled out of the pool tonight for a tornado!  What the heck's up with this weather???

Raced a 4 miler along the beach with Kim on Sunday after we saw the signs for it during our longer run on Saturday (not the best taper, I guess).  At 6am she gets up and then pops her head back in the room and says, "We're racing today."  LOL!  Kind of a last minute decision, but she was first woman and I was 3rd overall - which was a blast!

I love small, local races (and NOT just because you can podium).  They're just such a great time.  Yes, we finished with smiles even though we'd turned ourselves inside out!

I hope everyone (even if you're not in the US and it wasn't a holiday) had a great Fourth!  We watched fireworks and bonfires the size of houses (truth) along the beach - a citizens' celebration we get to enjoy every year!

Matt

2014-07-07 7:10 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Decided you only live once, who knows what happens next year, so I'm going to Milwaukee.   I'm racing Bryan Dunn in my AG.  Or rather, chasing Bryan Dunn.

2014-07-07 7:47 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

2014-07-07 7:52 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38743 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74223 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.