BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-08-13 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2346608

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
Plainsman AU - 2009-08-13 11:33 AM Spand X is in the house with a little pick me up video.

How to ride thru the pain!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4

Performance its the name of the game!! LOL that was good.
And since we haven't seen any good pictures of you Barry, I think he kind of looks like you in your avatar.

Edited by TrevorC 2009-08-13 12:54 PM

2009-08-13 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2346329

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
ashort33 - 2009-08-13 10:02 AM

soccermom15 - 2009-08-13 10:32 AM

Hey all - another busy week at work for me (auditors are here this week - always fun!).  I'm looking forward to next week since I'll be on vacation!  Yeah!  Not going anywhere but won't have to be at work eitherSmile.  I decided it would be a good week to take off after my tri on Sunday and with our daughter starting school next Wednesday and we have to get our son over to college on Friday.

Speaking of my tri on Sunday (it's a spring - 300yd/18mi/5k) - I could use some good vibes from you guys!  I know I'll finish, but the bike has me a little worried.  It's a pretty hilly course and even though I've been training on hills as much as possible, it's still the one thing that I'm not real confident with.  So any good thoughts would be appreciated!

Reuben - congrats on finishing your first tri!  And good luck if you decide to do another this weekend.

Regarding the MG - I know I don't post much or get as involved as some peopleTongue out, but I'd like to stick around if that's OK.  I want to continue to do tri's next year and am hoping to move up to the Oly distance - I could use the help in getting ready for that. 

Here's a picture of me finishing my first tri back in May. 

Hoping to get a new one this weekend!
Janet

Hey Janet.....I always forget to tell you that my sister live in St. Louis. She lived on Arthur Ave....South city area??? We had some custard at Ted Drews!! Awesome stuff.

2009-08-13 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Back after a short little time out (ha, can anyone tell I've spent a lot of time with the kids lately).
Have had lots of fun, but honesty I really missed the training.  I'm looking at it like a little body healing and getting the hunger back.  Have missed a lot here on the mg, can't keep up with you guys.

Saw the pic site...very cool and some awesome pictures!

A few quick bits......

Janet - good luck this weekend!

Reuben - congrats triathlete!

Roni - I had a similar race....one that didn't really fit in my training plan, but that I could measure myself against last year.  I went a little easy that week, and then right after the race hit it hard again.  I think the mental is a huge piece of it, and doing well was a good thing for me.   I agree with what everyone else has said - get the miles in after you rock the race.

Sorry I missed all the other stuff. 

Have to tell you, I thought about you guys one night when we were sitting there eating peanut butter stuffed preztels and drinking beer.   I don't even like beer (wine and sweet drinks) but boy it was good    : )
2009-08-13 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Thanks for the responses! Running after is a great idea, but... there's BBQ and beer after the race so I don't think it's going to happen. Of course, if I was fast enough I could be done with the race and the extra miles before the BBQ starts. Wink Usually it has already started before I finish though. So, I'm thinking either tomorrow or Monday...

Love the video... too funny Laughing
2009-08-13 1:31 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
That video is great.  Reminds me of Adam Sandberg's stuff.  This has nothing to do with tri, but one of my favorites..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKSIaeQHV94

Janet, the Columbus tri was a blast.  I'll be doing another.  The one my wife and I were considering has sold out so I guess we're off this weekend.  My knee is a little sore and stiff.  Getting better - I'm having a hard time being lazy this week while I give it some time.

Linda, good for you spending time with the kids.  My kids started back to school today. Smile  My 4 year old goes back on Monday.  Then my schedule gets AWESOME again.  I'll have all the time in world for whatever!

BTW, that link is actually to a fake one...the audio is right, but the two dudes aren't the right guys.  It's very accurate though.

Edited by BigReub 2009-08-13 1:36 PM
2009-08-13 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2346705

User image

Champion
marietta

Hey Roni:  I’m going to go against the better knowledge of this group on this one…

There are more things to consider than just this 10 miler. Based on what I’m reading in your logs about your legs being sore every day this week which forced an unplanned rest day, your scheduled training through the 20th and this race you want to do (very cool that you’ve done it each year btw) I’d say get a 7 mile run in tomorrow instead of 4 and keep that 3.5 hour ride or even knock that down a little. Keep Saturday as a scheduled off day. Your run mileage for this week will still be right at what you are averaging this month. 

Considering your schedule, this soreness and that you want to kick a$$ Sunday, I think this puts you in the best position to do so and keep as close to your scheduled weekly mileage in all three aspects as you work toward you’re A race.

Drink all the beer you can, pound some BBQ and get back at it Monday.   

2009-08-13 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2346739

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-13 1:36 PM

Hey Roni:  I’m going to go against the better knowledge of this group on this one…

There are more things to consider than just this 10 miler. Based on what I’m reading in your logs about your legs being sore every day this week which forced an unplanned rest day, your scheduled training through the 20th and this race you want to do (very cool that you’ve done it each year btw) I’d say get a 7 mile run in tomorrow instead of 4 and keep that 3.5 hour ride or even knock that down a little. Keep Saturday as a scheduled off day. Your run mileage for this week will still be right at what you are averaging this month. 

Considering your schedule, this soreness and that you want to kick a$$ Sunday, I think this puts you in the best position to do so and keep as close to your scheduled weekly mileage in all three aspects as you work toward you’re A race.

Drink all the beer you can, pound some BBQ and get back at it Monday.   

Roni

John forced me to look at your logs......and I agree with him.  If it were me and I had a sore quad, was using the roller/stick and taking days off, I wouldn't run between now and the race.  I wouldn't bike either.  You have the fitness.  What you don't have is time to take off after the race with your crazy build up.....you probably want to punch me and maybe John, but as someone who pushed last year and regrets it to this day, I would BACK OFF !!! (she said lovingly!)

Suzy
2009-08-13 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
imho... making up missed miles post race may not be the best idea.  unless you can really control your body physically  and mentally at the same time during a race, then race day is race day.  Its never a training day.   Especially a sprint race where if you cut your run effort by X% you are probably still moving faster than your long slow run pace. 

Simply stated, planned distance - race distance = post race distance doesn't work.
2009-08-13 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2346793

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-13 1:55 PM imho... making up missed miles post race may not be the best idea.  unless you can really control your body physically  and mentally at the same time during a race, then race day is race day.  Its never a training day.   Especially a sprint race where if you cut your run effort by X% you are probably still moving faster than your long slow run pace. 

Simply stated, planned distance - race distance = post race distance doesn't work.

Now, I am not talking about Roni, but I disagree.  Tony is working with Lowell and he used to be my guy too.  I often did a race and added running miles at the end to get to a total distance needed.  It is much easier when you are running a stand alone running race.  Warm-up 2-3, do the 10K (or whatever) and then do the remaining mileage.  In theory, we all should be doing a cool-down anyway.  This is a great way to get your Tempo effort done fully supported too.  It is never easy to keep going, but it is effective in my humble opinion.
2009-08-13 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2346806

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-08-13 2:00 PM
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-13 1:55 PM imho... making up missed miles post race may not be the best idea.  unless you can really control your body physically  and mentally at the same time during a race, then race day is race day.  Its never a training day.   Especially a sprint race where if you cut your run effort by X% you are probably still moving faster than your long slow run pace. 

Now, I am not talking about Roni, but I disagree.  Tony is working with Lowell and he used to be my guy too.  I often did a race and added running miles at the end to get to a total distance needed.  It is much easier when you are running a stand alone running race.  Warm-up 2-3, do the 10K (or whatever) and then do the remaining mileage.  In theory, we all should be doing a cool-down anyway.  This is a great way to get your Tempo effort done fully supported too.  It is never easy to keep going, but it is effective in my humble opinion.

I was talking about her but without trying to call anyone out.  :-)   Adding a 7 miler on top of the race???  I have no issue with a few (2-3 for a cool down) but its not as simple as 10 - 3.1 = 6.9. 

And what you are describing is after a run.  Is there a difference after a triathlon?

Agree w/ you 100% on the cool down. 
2009-08-13 2:25 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
I smell a pillow fight coming on between you two!!!

My $0.02...Race day is race day. I go as hard as I feel I can go. Its a race.
for what its worth...It $0.02 Canadian.

2009-08-13 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2346876

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TrevorC - 2009-08-13 2:25 PM I smell a pillow fight coming on between you two!!!

My $0.02...Race day is race day. I go as hard as I feel I can go. Its a race.
for what its worth...It $0.02 Canadian.

Sounds to me like they are in violent agreement with each other...

2009-08-13 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Great discussion, thanks! Good timing too, because I was just pondering whether or not to do the 3:30 bike this afternoon. My quad is still somewhat sore... not bad and it didn't bother me on my run this morning, but I definitely don't want to cause it to get worse again. And, Suzy, I think your right about backing off. I'm sure it was stubbornly pushing through the run on Sunday when I was already sore from Saturday's trail run that caused my quad to get as bad as it did... ok, so sometimes it takes me awhile to learn the lesson Tongue out.  I'm pretty good at listening to my body, but sometimes it is hard to decide if it is just normal training fatigue that I need to just get through or an overworked body that needs to rest... there's also some fear that I won't be ready come race day if I miss some key workouts. Of course, if I end up injured I'll be even less prepared come race day. No, I don't want to punch you (Suzy) or John, but thank you for the laugh and thanks to both of you for the advice. I think I'll do a compromise between the two and do a shorter bike (if it doesn't bother my quad) and a shorter run tomorrow, taking Saturday off. Then I should be ready to get back at it next week. You know I'll be thinking of you all when I'm out there Sunday!

P.S.  "John forced me to look at your logs" LOL Is it really that bad Suzy? Wink
2009-08-13 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2346939

User image

Champion
marietta
P.S.  "John forced me to look at your logs" LOL Is it really that bad Suzy? Wink

KIM... LINDAAAAA   WHERE ARE YOUUUU????   EVERYONE ARE PICKING ON ME!!!!  DO I TALK FUNNY?????

wait just a second Roni.. "compromise".  bs.  thats exactly what i said to do.   geeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz
2009-08-13 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
This is a very inspiring read about a heart transplant IM going to Kona.  They also discuss the heart transplant athlete who raced at IM Canada with Steve last year.  Make sure to look at the jersey they guy is wearing!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/13/heart.transplants.ironman/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn
2009-08-13 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Well, here goes nothing.  12 mile run is about to begin.................ugh.  I'll fill you in with the details when I return tomorrow.  Good night everyone!

2009-08-13 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2347025

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Jeepguy2358 - 2009-08-13 3:17 PM Well, here goes nothing.  12 mile run is about to begin.................ugh.  I'll fill you in with the details when I return tomorrow.  Good night everyone!

You pwn that run!

2009-08-13 3:34 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Hey everyone, thanks for the encouragement for this weekend's race - I knew I could count on you guysKiss.  I'm sure I'll do fine - just a little pre-race jitters.  I went through the same thing about my race back in May and it turned out OK.  And that time I was on an old mountain bike!  Now that I have a road bike where the gears actually work correctly, I should be fine.  Just anxious I guess.  But also excited!
2009-08-13 3:37 PM

User image

Ok, not to get in the middle here....but pillow fights can be fun Tongue out   But, if siding with anyone it's JOHN

I use the online coaching support (which I have found to be very helpful).  Having missed 5 days of training in the last week I asked them about making up some workouts or picking up where my schedule puts me now.  

Here is what they told me: 

"No back tracking and trying to make up what you missed. This happens and the best thing to do is keep moving forward. With the people I coach I expect them to miss a workout during the week, as like you said, life. So, no trying to make it up. Pick-up the plan where you should be."

Now a disclaimer...I had origianlly said to do the run after the race....but that was meant to encourage doing the race.  
I do not think missing one run will ruin an entire training plan....now we'll see what missing 5 days does (I'll let you know

2009-08-13 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2346576

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
gadgetlaw - 2009-08-13 12:25 PM

I have been feeling better than I did the night I went to the hospital, but not great.  For those of you who said you had gall stones before, did the pain last a long time?  The doctor said that the stones are not blocking anything and the gall bladder is not infected or inflamed, so they do not want to take it out.  But it has been a week and I still hurt.  Now, it is not curl-up-in-the-fetal-position pain like it was, but I still feel it!  It feels almost like a really bad side stitch, that also goes around to my back.  It hurts some to touch it and it hurts sometimes to take a deep breath.  Needless to say, I have tried working out, but it doesn't work so much when I am in pain and can't breath!!  It is getting really frustrating!  But, on the happy side, vacation is in 3 1/2 weeks!!!

Karen

Nope - mine was curl-up-in-the-fetal-position pain then poof gone.  I even had Tony turn around from the hospital w/ the first attack.  I only lived in fear of another if I ate the wrong food.  Since I'd had 2 attacks, my doc said - young healthy person and young healthy gallbladder (w/ stones) equals the best time to take it out.  It was outpatient surgery.  In at 8am, three small cuts, one suction hose and leaving for home at noon.  I even have a picture.  LOL

You may want to follow up w/ your doc and let him know it's still bothering you. 
2009-08-13 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2347011

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-08-13 2:10 PM This is a very inspiring read about a heart transplant IM going to Kona.  They also discuss the heart transplant athlete who raced at IM Canada with Steve last year.  Make sure to look at the jersey they guy is wearing!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/13/heart.transplants.ironman/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Great story Tracy.... Amazing what some people can do. I love stories like that.

2009-08-13 4:51 PM

User image

Champion
WOW, have a two hour meeting and you miss a pillow fight! Damn.

I would run the additional distance if I were doing a Sprint.  If I were doing an Oly or greater, nope.  While not exactly what I was recommending, the fact that you are backing off some Roni is great.  Very smart girl. I love looking at the logs of all of us athletes.....just hate when someone beats me to the punch with the idea (JOHN!).  later gators, I am off to swim class in 25mph winds....I am not at all happy about it either. Bleh.
2009-08-13 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Unfortunately I'm back a little too soon.  Today was the first day this year I have felt the effects of the humidity.  It was only 91 degrees, but the humidity was in the high 80's.  I went through two 8 oz bottles of GE and 2 8 oz bottles of water on my FuelBelt and I just hit 8.5 miles.  During my last 11 mile run I had just finished my fourth bottle.  I was even beginning to cramp a little in my left foot and my left quad.  So, I shut it down and walked home.  My shirt was completely soaked - I literally rung it out.  I'm really disappointed, but feel I did the right thing to do with my race on Sun and my big race in six weeks.  Besides, my plan called for a 90 min. run.  I ran for 85.  So I guess it's not too bad. 

Does anyone else stand on their feet all day at work and do you think that affects your workout performance if it is in the pm?  I try to schedule long runs / bikes on my days off, but every once in while I miss one and cannot move it.  (Like today.)

2009-08-13 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2347009

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-13 1:09 PM P.S.  "John forced me to look at your logs" LOL Is it really that bad Suzy? Wink

KIM... LINDAAAAA   WHERE ARE YOUUUU????   EVERYONE ARE PICKING ON ME!!!!  DO I TALK FUNNY?????

wait just a second Roni.. "compromise".  bs.  thats exactly what i said to do.   geeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wow, I have missed so much over the past few days...I cannot keep up with you guys!  John, peeps are not picking on you!  It is kind of like little brother love  

Trevor, you had a post awhile back that made me LOL...something about beer and drool...hmm...will you carry me?  very funny.

Roni-- sounds like you made a good decision.  Your workouts have been great this whole summer and your body is telling you something.  Good to listen to aches/soreness and pains. 

I am finally done with all of the family stuff...funerals, weddings, more funerals     Some of you guys know that I have had some losses in my family this summer.  It has been a lot to deal with and it all kind of caught up with me this week. So rather than freak out about not running enough...I just took a few days off.  And it felt good to rest.  And spend time with family. 
I feel ready to get back at it and start the marathon plan.  Big news, I am going to be a "coached" athlete for the first time ever and am excited about this.  I'm kind of tired of trying to figure everything out by myself and don't want to get injured at my "older" age.  Will let you know how it goes as it goes!

Good luck on your race, Janet!

2009-08-13 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2347352

User image

Champion
marietta
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-08-13 5:53 PM

Unfortunately I'm back a little too soon.  Today was the first day this year I have felt the effects of the humidity.  It was only 91 degrees, but the humidity was in the high 80's.  I went through two 8 oz bottles of GE and 2 8 oz bottles of water on my FuelBelt and I just hit 8.5 miles.  During my last 11 mile run I had just finished my fourth bottle.  I was even beginning to cramp a little in my left foot and my left quad.  So, I shut it down and walked home.  My shirt was completely soaked - I literally rung it out.  I'm really disappointed, but feel I did the right thing to do with my race on Sun and my big race in six weeks.  Besides, my plan called for a 90 min. run.  I ran for 85.  So I guess it's not too bad. 

Does anyone else stand on their feet all day at work and do you think that affects your workout performance if it is in the pm?  I try to schedule long runs / bikes on my days off, but every once in while I miss one and cannot move it.  (Like today.)

That's a hellavu run.  91/high 80's is crazy.  You might not have made it as far as you wanted to in the planned time, btw forget that 5 minutes, but considering the elements, you have no reason whatsoever to hang your head.  And really we're talking big picture here... 2.5 miles, don't sweat it.   Awesome job out there man.  You read my inspire...I was walking after 20 minutes today.  Sucks! 

No I'm not on my feet all day.  Please think of me stuck in an office during those late fall SC days.  

btw,  If this happens will you trade a bunch of cold beer for a bed after the race?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383