BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-06-04 12:53 PM
in reply to: Tripopo

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)
Originally posted by Tripopo
Some of that decision was made for me today though I got a call from the Secret Service I have my written test with them the 25th and after that is the physical fitness test. It's not as harsh as the DEA exam was but I will need to put some concerted effort into it to ensure I pass. I only get one chance or I have to wait 6 months and another job announcement, last announcement they had was 2011 and it got cancelled due to budget issues. It is push ups, situps, Illionois agility test and 1.5 mile run. So not completely outside of S/B/R. So now I need to decide if I'll take the job if offered, has been a goal of mine since High School but I'm fairly well established here in Charleston and my folks are talking about retiring down here as well. It's a two year process from where I'm at right now to actual job offer so my wife and I will have time to think on it.

Good luck and keep the motivation. The body will respond relatively quick since you have a "dormant" fitness level. I am sure you will kick butt on it.

Originally posted by Tripopo
On an unrelated note anyone has recommendations for a good insole for boots if you are on your feet 10 hours a day? Currently have the green fleet feet but my feet still kill me by the end of the week.

Wish I did, on my feet 10-12hrs a day in Army boots. Have not had good luck with insoles, so I just make sure my other shoes are really comfortable.

2014-06-04 1:08 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
A race question for everyone. What races have you done that you think others should do or what races are on your "bucket list"?

Mine:
Pikes Peak Ascent
Pikes Peak Marathon
Boston Marathon
Equinox Marathon (Fairbanks, AK)

A race in all 50 states of at least an Olympic Length Triathlon or a Half-Marathon

Looking for some others to try and plan and build a racing schedule of great races. Looking for some beautiful places to visit and great scenary.

Some that I would like to do but not a bucket list:
Escape from Alcatraz
Leadman Tri
IM Lake Placid
Detroit Free Press/Talmer Bank Marathon (cross Ambassador Bridge and Detroit-Windsor Tunnel into/out of Canada)
2014-06-04 1:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Cambridge
I feel like I should rejoin the Manatees and actually get my arse into training. Have had a terrible couple of years on the fitness side of things.... although the new BT is very shiney!
Without making excuses I pretty much stopped training and went into a bout of depression after my grandma died (I blamed myself for a long time because I was meant to go visit the day before but decided to do a 60 mile bike ride instead...) and then started got back into it only to start dating properly (which = lots of eating out and would rather spend time with her than training) and then was training for a race back in may only to break my hand in January (and the doctor refused to let me run/bike on the basis that if i fell off it would break my hand again.... mostly due to weight )

So yeah

I'm going to try and make a concerted effort to get back on the training, i transferred my race entry from May to August, and hoping to get back on it soon. I'm swimming about 4 times a week at the moment but thats it!

NAME: What you're actually called. Steveeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (according to Miss Yanatee of the Manatees)
STORY: I'm a chunky guy stuck in a chunky guys body! I have no intention of getting thin, I just prefer being "fit" - for me I would be happy to get down to about 225lb in the long run. I play bass guitar (which means I have epic finger skills ...) cricket (which means none of the yanks understand me) and i'm a software test engineer. I love my job as I get paid to be a pedantic donkey all day long!

FAMILY STATUS: Long time girlfriend (3 years) although due to money issues i'm currently living at home again whilst trying to sort out somewhere to live.
CURRENT TRAINING: see above
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: 1 super sprint in august -
BODY COMPOSITION: I'm basically 300lb now, and want to drop to 225. I'm not unfit, I play a lot of football ("Soccer"), cricket and stuff but need to fix my diet and do some more endurance based training.

Edited by SteveyD 2014-06-04 1:21 PM
2014-06-04 1:21 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jbwills A race question for everyone. What races have you done that you think others should do or what races are on your "bucket list"? Mine: Pikes Peak Ascent Pikes Peak Marathon Boston Marathon Equinox Marathon (Fairbanks, AK) A race in all 50 states of at least an Olympic Length Triathlon or a Half-Marathon Looking for some others to try and plan and build a racing schedule of great races. Looking for some beautiful places to visit and great scenary. Some that I would like to do but not a bucket list: Escape from Alcatraz Leadman Tri IM Lake Placid Detroit Free Press/Talmer Bank Marathon (cross Ambassador Bridge and Detroit-Windsor Tunnel into/out of Canada)

I'd never do it but you could consider the Leadville Trail 100 Run if you're into ultras or the Leadville Trail 100 MTB.  There are also a couple of tris in Steamboat Springs, CO, which is absolutely gorgeous.  http://www.withoutlimits.co/#!steamboat-triathlon---olympic--sprint/cmi8 and http://www.tritheboat.com/.  My friend did the first one and loved it.  You get scenery and the challenge of high altitude all rolled into one, plus you can go to really pretty hot springs to relax.  There's one right downtown run by the City and another at Strawberry Park nearby that's really rustic.

2014-06-04 1:31 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I'm on for a race tonight, pending the thunderstorms roll through.  A local race company puts on a series of no-frills races through the summertime.  Distances are typically 800m/21 mi/3.5 mi.

The race announcement said that they would shorten the bike course tonight.  I'm going to run home after work real quick and chuck all my race stuff in my car.  I should hopefully see a number of people out from my masters team as well.

I'm going to try to do this race w/o HR.

2014-06-04 1:33 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by ponderingfox

I'm on for a race tonight, pending the thunderstorms roll through.  A local race company puts on a series of no-frills races through the summertime.  Distances are typically 800m/21 mi/3.5 mi.

The race announcement said that they would shorten the bike course tonight.  I'm going to run home after work real quick and chuck all my race stuff in my car.  I should hopefully see a number of people out from my masters team as well.

Have fun!  Hope the weather cooperates.

2014-06-04 1:33 PM
in reply to: 99Puddles

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 99Puddles

Originally posted by rrrunner

A'right, A'right, step aside, emo mom coming through...

So I waited to tell y'all about this until I was relatively sure it's going to happen.  Now I'm relatively sure it's going to happen.

This Sunday DS2 leaves to go back to SoCal to "graduate" from UCLA. He's not walking or I'd be going too. Anyway... he'll be back in about a week. Then sometime in the very near future he will be leaving for *gulp* Navy bootcamp. He's been talking for some time about whether to go on to medical school or go in to the navy. As things fell in to place it looked more like Navy. I am proud as punch in one heartbeat and scared to death the next.

Because he has a college degree and because he basically aced all of the tests they threw at him he will be going in to either the intelligence program or the nuclear (or nucular) program. Soooooo it looks like DH and I will be making a trip to Great Lakes, Illinois in a few weeks for his first graduation. Then he'll be headed to more school for whichever program he ends up in.

Of course, part of me is also mourning the loss of my best race buddy. Hopefully he'll still be able to do RnR Denver, and hopefully we can still squeeze in a few more in and around his school schedule before they send him wherever they send those top secret braniac types.

*sigh*

My son graduated from Great Lakes. It is one of my most proudest moments as a mother. He LOVES the Navy 99.9% of the time and has proven to be a great way of life for him and his new family. I also went through the roller coaster of emotions but seeing him stand before me in his Navy uniform, tall and proud, made my heart melt for the man he seemed to become overnight. I grew up military (Army) and from what I have witnessed, the Navy takes care of their sailors. I love that they still instill manners and respect of the elders, with "Yes sir" and "Yes mam". I about fainted when my son held the door for me while I was there (a lesson I could NEVER get him to do). His reply to my shock......"If I get caught not doing it, I get in trouble". The Navy took my little baby boy for 6 weeks and returned to me a gentleman wearing a Navy uniform. PROUD NAVY MOM

*puts Debi on speed dial*

2014-06-04 1:37 PM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by SteveyD I feel like I should rejoin the Manatees and actually get my arse into training. Have had a terrible couple of years on the fitness side of things.... although the new BT is very shiney! Without making excuses I pretty much stopped training and went into a bout of depression after my grandma died (I blamed myself for a long time because I was meant to go visit the day before but decided to do a 60 mile bike ride instead...) and then started got back into it only to start dating properly (which = lots of eating out and would rather spend time with her than training) and then was training for a race back in may only to break my hand in January (and the doctor refused to let me run/bike on the basis that if i fell off it would break my hand again.... mostly due to weight ) So yeah I'm going to try and make a concerted effort to get back on the training, i transferred my race entry from May to August, and hoping to get back on it soon. I'm swimming about 4 times a week at the moment but thats it! NAME: What you're actually called. Steveeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (according to Miss Yanatee of the Manatees) STORY: I'm a chunky guy stuck in a chunky guys body! I have no intention of getting thin, I just prefer being "fit" - for me I would be happy to get down to about 225lb in the long run. I play bass guitar (which means I have epic finger skills ...) cricket (which means none of the yanks understand me) and i'm a software test engineer. I love my job as I get paid to be a pedantic donkey all day long! FAMILY STATUS: Long time girlfriend (3 years) although due to money issues i'm currently living at home again whilst trying to sort out somewhere to live. CURRENT TRAINING: see above THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: 1 super sprint in august - BODY COMPOSITION: I'm basically 300lb now, and want to drop to 225. I'm not unfit, I play a lot of football ("Soccer"), cricket and stuff but need to fix my diet and do some more endurance based training.

Welcome Stevey!

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jbwills A race question for everyone. What races have you done that you think others should do or what races are on your "bucket list"? Mine: Pikes Peak Ascent Pikes Peak Marathon Boston Marathon Equinox Marathon (Fairbanks, AK) A race in all 50 states of at least an Olympic Length Triathlon or a Half-Marathon Looking for some others to try and plan and build a racing schedule of great races. Looking for some beautiful places to visit and great scenary. Some that I would like to do but not a bucket list: Escape from Alcatraz Leadman Tri IM Lake Placid Detroit Free Press/Talmer Bank Marathon (cross Ambassador Bridge and Detroit-Windsor Tunnel into/out of Canada)

Bucket List:

Boston and NY Marathons, Escape from Alcatraz, IMAZ, Kona is on the very periphery at this point

As for the one's I've done:

BolderBoulder

in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by 99Puddles

So I waited to tell y'all about this until I was relatively sure it's going to happen.  Now I'm relatively sure it's going to happen.

This Sunday DS2 leaves to go back to SoCal to "graduate" from UCLA. He's not walking or I'd be going too. Anyway... he'll be back in about a week. Then sometime in the very near future he will be leaving for *gulp* Navy bootcamp. He's been talking for some time about whether to go on to medical school or go in to the navy. As things fell in to place it looked more like Navy. I am proud as punch in one heartbeat and scared to death the next.

Because he has a college degree and because he basically aced all of the tests they threw at him he will be going in to either the intelligence program or the nuclear (or nucular) program. Soooooo it looks like DH and I will be making a trip to Great Lakes, Illinois in a few weeks for his first graduation. Then he'll be headed to more school for whichever program he ends up in.

Of course, part of me is also mourning the loss of my best race buddy. Hopefully he'll still be able to do RnR Denver, and hopefully we can still squeeze in a few more in and around his school schedule before they send him wherever they send those top secret braniac types.

*sigh*

My son graduated from Great Lakes. It is one of my most proudest moments as a mother. He LOVES the Navy 99.9% of the time and has proven to be a great way of life for him and his new family. I also went through the roller coaster of emotions but seeing him stand before me in his Navy uniform, tall and proud, made my heart melt for the man he seemed to become overnight. I grew up military (Army) and from what I have witnessed, the Navy takes care of their sailors. I love that they still instill manners and respect of the elders, with "Yes sir" and "Yes mam". I about fainted when my son held the door for me while I was there (a lesson I could NEVER get him to do). His reply to my shock......"If I get caught not doing it, I get in trouble". The Navy took my little baby boy for 6 weeks and returned to me a gentleman wearing a Navy uniform. PROUD NAVY MOM

*puts Debi on speed dial*

2014-06-04 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Have fun!  Hope the weather cooperates.

And stay safe. Those storms are crazy!

2014-06-04 1:39 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by SteveyD I feel like I should rejoin the Manatees and actually get my arse into training. Have had a terrible couple of years on the fitness side of things.... although the new BT is very shiney! Without making excuses I pretty much stopped training and went into a bout of depression after my grandma died (I blamed myself for a long time because I was meant to go visit the day before but decided to do a 60 mile bike ride instead...) and then started got back into it only to start dating properly (which = lots of eating out and would rather spend time with her than training) and then was training for a race back in may only to break my hand in January (and the doctor refused to let me run/bike on the basis that if i fell off it would break my hand again.... mostly due to weight ) So yeah I'm going to try and make a concerted effort to get back on the training, i transferred my race entry from May to August, and hoping to get back on it soon. I'm swimming about 4 times a week at the moment but thats it! NAME: What you're actually called. Steveeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (according to Miss Yanatee of the Manatees) STORY: I'm a chunky guy stuck in a chunky guys body! I have no intention of getting thin, I just prefer being "fit" - for me I would be happy to get down to about 225lb in the long run. I play bass guitar (which means I have epic finger skills ...) cricket (which means none of the yanks understand me) and i'm a software test engineer. I love my job as I get paid to be a pedantic donkey all day long! FAMILY STATUS: Long time girlfriend (3 years) although due to money issues i'm currently living at home again whilst trying to sort out somewhere to live. CURRENT TRAINING: see above THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: 1 super sprint in august - BODY COMPOSITION: I'm basically 300lb now, and want to drop to 225. I'm not unfit, I play a lot of football ("Soccer"), cricket and stuff but need to fix my diet and do some more endurance based training.

Welcome Stevey!

Yes, Welcome to the insanity!

2014-06-04 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I'd never do it but you could consider the Leadville Trail 100 Run if you're into ultras or the Leadville Trail 100 MTB.  There are also a couple of tris in Steamboat Springs, CO, which is absolutely gorgeous.  http://www.withoutlimits.co/#!steamboat-triathlon---olympic--sprint/cmi8 and http://www.tritheboat.com/.  My friend did the first one and loved it.  You get scenery and the challenge of high altitude all rolled into one, plus you can go to really pretty hot springs to relax.  There's one right downtown run by the City and another at Strawberry Park nearby that's really rustic.

I thought about doing that HIM distance this year but opted for a local Oly the same weekend.

2014-06-04 1:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm not sure that I have a bucket list of must do events.  I'm more of a so many events so little time person!  I would like to do the Augusta 70.3 sometime and since I have a cousin at UGA now, I should probably get on it.  I thought that I wanted to do Shamrock but I find that I am leaning towards Myrtle Beach again for next year.  I think that swimming in the Bay of Fundy sounds like a good time so Challenge St. Andrews is on the list.  I'd like to go back and to Vineman again.  That was beautiful but I'm afraid that it would feel less special doing it a second time.

ETA:  I had Chesapeakeman on my short list but swimming with the jellies in the Chesapeake scares me and also it sounded potentially lonely.  I don't mind a smaller race (see also, Gator Half) but that seemed super sparse for a 140.6.  Now that it's IM Maryland, I'm guessing more people will sign up.  That could be on my list again.  

Edited by jmkizer 2014-06-04 1:46 PM
2014-06-04 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jbwills

*sigh*

It will be an incredible transition for him and you. Many of us servive Basic and everything that follows. Enjoy the journey and spend plenty of time together. Tell him Congrats on the graduation and good luck in the Navy!

He's a good boy. I don't worry much about basic. He's fit, he's respectful, he knows how to take care of himself and he knows how to do what he's told. Buuut, he's my baby and therefore I will worry.

Hence, my questions about Team RWB the other day

2014-06-04 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Question for the Manatees

I am thinking about doing a ride that requires that we have bike lights because it goes through a blind tunnel "that will absolutely require a front light as riders will not be able to see which way is up when in the tunnel."   Suggestions?

I have the Light In Motion 400 (i think).  I attach it to the underside of my aero bars and it works like a charm.

2014-06-04 1:46 PM

User image

Master

TJ, I can't imagine the emotions you must be going through, but it does not surprise me that your son has made that choice.  Great moms raise great sons.

Welcome Stevey!

Leaving at 5am tomorrow for Boise.  Supposed to be hot, and race start is noon....

My students graduate tonight--the three grad days are yesterday, today and tomorrow.  Our Program Director nixed yesterday due to a conference.  If it had've been tomorrow I would have had to miss it.  One of my students wrote a letter to the Grad Organizing Committee making a plea for their ceremony be today so I could be there.  I was extremely humbled, and thankfully the committee made it happen

Good luck to all racing Manatees this weekend.

2014-06-04 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Question for the Manatees

I am thinking about doing a ride that requires that we have bike lights because it goes through a blind tunnel "that will absolutely require a front light as riders will not be able to see which way is up when in the tunnel."   Suggestions?

DS2 and I got THESE for front and rear (red) from REI. They are crazystoopid bright! But I, admittedly have not used it for illumination, just awareness.

2014-06-04 1:53 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by bcraht

TJ, I can't imagine the emotions you must be going through, but it does not surprise me that your son has made that choice.  Great moms raise great sons.

Welcome Stevey!

Leaving at 5am tomorrow for Boise.  Supposed to be hot, and race start is noon....

My students graduate tonight--the three grad days are yesterday, today and tomorrow.  Our Program Director nixed yesterday due to a conference.  If it had've been tomorrow I would have had to miss it.  One of my students wrote a letter to the Grad Organizing Committee making a plea for their ceremony be today so I could be there.  I was extremely humbled, and thankfully the committee made it happen

So cool that you'll be there for the graduation! And cooler still that they want you there for the graduation (not that we're surprised). And as for the race, stay cool   Would cooling sleeves help?

2014-06-04 1:59 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Jayne-

We get the night rider combo pack to outfit bike patrol and they work very well and not break the bank expensive.
2014-06-04 1:59 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I thought about doing that HIM distance this year but opted for a local Oly the same weekend.

Forgot to mention that I'd really love to do the HIM in St. Croix for my 50th birthday.

2014-06-04 2:02 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by bcraht

Welcome Stevey!

Kirsten, good to hear from you.  Race start at noon?  Brutal!!  Did I see in COJ that you got a new puppy????

2014-06-04 2:12 PM

User image

Master

Yep.  This is Lysippe (Lysi).  She is a Hungarian Pumi (NOT a dread-locked Puli, although they are related way back).  They are a sheep herding breed and therefore are good at agility.  She came home from the Czech Republic on Saturday and is settling in nicely with the human and furry family

Lysippe
Lysippe was another Amazon Queen with a tragic story. But like almost all Amazon tales, her's was a story of strength instead of martyrdom. Lysippe had a son named Tanais who was completely devoted to war and scorned marriage. Though this was totally normal in Amazon society, Aphrodite was none too pleased and cursed him with falling in love with his own mother. Unable to deal with this, he threw himself into a river and drowned. Lysippe buried her pain in work. She built the Amazon capital city Themiscrya, consolidating the Amazon Nation and building lots of temples to Artemis (NOT Aphrodite). She established the policies that the Amazons are known for. She was a notable general, and the first to lead an attack force with cavalry.

2014-06-04 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I would love to do the Pikes Peak Ascent (I think )  I also want to do the Mayor's Midnight Sun HM in Anchorage, AK.  I thought I might be doing it (AK) next summer, but since I am going to Alaska in August, don't know if I'll get back so soon.

Regarding what races I've done that I think others should do - I don't think any are a most, but some have been pretty cool.  The Everglades 25k (or 50k or 50 miler for you crazies) was unique and I want to do it again next year.  Nautica  South Beach sprint/oly tri is pretty cool -swim in the atlantic, bike thru Miami Beach and run along the beach on a boardwalk.  Lots of triathlons at Key Biscayne which is a great place to race.  And, finally, the Smoky Mountain Relay was pretty neat too. 

2014-06-04 2:13 PM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Master
Orlando

Welcome back to the pod!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.