BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-07 8:11 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Fred D Btw I think Shane is trying to kill me by bike workout this week...

Not a bad way to go! 

What's going on?

2014-07-07 8:30 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-07 8:31 PM

2014-07-08 12:45 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D Lastly, anyone follow the Sam Gyde stuff on ST? Thoughts?

I agree with Bryan that I'd happily eat a bit higher race fee if they'd test age groupers.

What I didn't see on that thread was discussion of penalties.  I think if someone accepts a KQ, they should have to sign an agreement that if they end up with a positive doping result anytime in the future, they pay X amount of $$ to a fund set aside for making those tests happen.

Basically, charge everyone a little bit.  Charge a LOT to those who are actually caught.  Money talks more than temporarily banning someone from racing, IMO.

2014-07-08 7:22 AM
in reply to: spudone

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Fred D Lastly, anyone follow the Sam Gyde stuff on ST? Thoughts?

I agree with Bryan that I'd happily eat a bit higher race fee if they'd test age groupers.

What I didn't see on that thread was discussion of penalties.  I think if someone accepts a KQ, they should have to sign an agreement that if they end up with a positive doping result anytime in the future, they pay X amount of $$ to a fund set aside for making those tests happen.

Basically, charge everyone a little bit.  Charge a LOT to those who are actually caught.  Money talks more than temporarily banning someone from racing, IMO.

While money talks, I think they have to also make the results very public. Shame works pretty damn well (if it's a confirmed positive test and made public in addition to a ban/fine).

There are enough people in this sport that have more money than scruples, but take away their bragging rights as well and you might have something that will start to clean things up.

Matt

2014-07-08 7:35 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

While money talks, I think they have to also make the results very public. Shame works pretty damn well (if it's a confirmed positive test and made public in addition to a ban/fine).

There are enough people in this sport that have more money than scruples, but take away their bragging rights as well and you might have something that will start to clean things up.

Matt

I agree on both fronts, but the truth is that people cheating in the AG ranks already have skewed perception of the world and their need to dope is proof positive of that fact.  I would pay a little extra to try and keep the races as fair as possible and I know that it has little impact on me as an individual since I'm not at the pointy end of the field, but if there is something we can do as a collective to keep catch certain individuals and go a step further and ban them for certain periods of time like in the pro ranks, I'm all for it.  That said, I think for a large number of people willing to dope this doesn't serve as a detterent, but rather it simply forces them to be wiser and smarter about how they plan to cheat.

2014-07-08 7:51 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Veteran
Houston, Texas

So I got on the trainer this morning for a ride and kind a noticed that my left elbow pad seemed lower than my right one.  I figured it was in my head (things are not always as they seem at 4am!) and just ignored it....till the thing broke out from under me.  Turns out one of the bolts sheared right off, so now the allen wrench connection is separate from the threaded part of the bolt....and it's still threaded into my aero bars!  WTF?

No idea how to get it out....or if I just need a whole new cockpit.  And to make matters worse, I decided to try to take the other bolt out so I could remove the whole assembly, and the metal was so soft that turning the allen wrench in there basically rounded the connection out, so it is stuck in there too!

I wish there was a good way to protect my bike from my sweat....it is obviously worse than a typical person's sweat as this doesn't seem like a normal thing to happen (nor does going through cables in a span of six months...). 

I did finish the ride up on the horns -- it was unpleasant....my power suffered, my L/R balance is less balanced.  Hopefully the bike shop can take care of it for me reasonably quickly.

2014-07-08 8:01 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Originally posted by GoFaster

Matt

I agree on both fronts, but the truth is that people cheating in the AG ranks already have skewed perception of the world and their need to dope is proof positive of that fact.  I would pay a little extra to try and keep the races as fair as possible and I know that it has little impact on me as an individual since I'm not at the pointy end of the field, but if there is something we can do as a collective to keep catch certain individuals and go a step further and ban them for certain periods of time like in the pro ranks, I'm all for it.  That said, I think for a large number of people willing to dope this doesn't serve as a detterent, but rather it simply forces them to be wiser and smarter about how they plan to cheat.

While I agree as well, the people in this group don't represent the vast majority of triathlon participants.  70% of them couldn't care less what the FOP is doing, because they are solid MOP/BOP.  Most of their biggest gripes have to do with already high race entry fees, so raising them even a tiny bit more to help keep AG racing clean isn't high on their agenda.

The reality is most of this sport is just for fun.  It's not like pro sports, collegiate sports, or Olympic sports where everyone participating is there to compete.  Most are there just to complete.  I imagine if AG drug testing will ever take off, it may have to be largely funded by the FOP racers.  Meaning that you pay extra to be eligible for AG awards, Kona slots, etc...and with that extra fee comes random testing.  You buy into it, or you forfeit any chances at awards...but you also duck testing.

2014-07-08 8:27 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted Fred D200 miles in the last 3 days with 2 more rides in the next 2 days. Not much 'noodling time' either. You will all know if I lived thru it if I keep posting here...
You know you have a race this Sunday? What sadistic plan are you following from your coach?AG drug testing hummmm. How much per test? Test the KQ and podium slots. Fine as Neil suggest and 5 year ban from ALL USAT events. If the penalties are Great what is the point in testing. I am really tired of cheats.
2014-07-08 8:42 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ligersandtions

So I got on the trainer this morning for a ride and kind a noticed that my left elbow pad seemed lower than my right one.  I figured it was in my head (things are not always as they seem at 4am!) and just ignored it....till the thing broke out from under me.  Turns out one of the bolts sheared right off, so now the allen wrench connection is separate from the threaded part of the bolt....and it's still threaded into my aero bars!  WTF?

No idea how to get it out....or if I just need a whole new cockpit.  And to make matters worse, I decided to try to take the other bolt out so I could remove the whole assembly, and the metal was so soft that turning the allen wrench in there basically rounded the connection out, so it is stuck in there too!

I wish there was a good way to protect my bike from my sweat....it is obviously worse than a typical person's sweat as this doesn't seem like a normal thing to happen (nor does going through cables in a span of six months...). 

I did finish the ride up on the horns -- it was unpleasant....my power suffered, my L/R balance is less balanced.  Hopefully the bike shop can take care of it for me reasonably quickly.

What's up with cockpits around here?  Rusty drops a pad.  Your bolt shears.  I've actually broken both of my aero bars in the last two months after slamming over potholes (the roads here are horrific - downright dangerous - after this past winter).  Replaced the first one with a spare lying around the LBS (luck), but said luck has run out and I have to get a new cockpit now...

Wish I could suggest a fix.  Maybe have the LBS drill it out, but I'm not sure if it's sheared off in a carbon or aluminum section (?).

Matt

2014-07-08 8:49 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted Fred D200 miles in the last 3 days with 2 more rides in the next 2 days. Not much 'noodling time' either. You will all know if I lived thru it if I keep posting here...
You know you have a race this Sunday? What sadistic plan are you following from your coach?AG drug testing hummmm. How much per test? Test the KQ and podium slots. Fine as Neil suggest and 5 year ban from ALL USAT events. If the penalties are Great what is the point in testing. I am really tired of cheats.

From what I hear (no way to know without testing), doping is not happening just at the pointy end.  TONS of stories, perhaps all apocryphal, of MOP/BOP old dudes on T (and not for health reasons - for moving up a bit in the pack, as told).

Again, can't say whether that's true, but I hear it a LOT (and from docs who say no to the request when inappropriate - although there are clearly enough docs who just say, "Meh, no problem - here's your script").

Cheaters don't exist only at the pointy end of the spear, and I'd like to see them outed at any level.  I agree most folks in tri are in it for the experience (I'd argue even many/most of the FOP folks - not many are putting bread on the table in the AG ranks), but cheaters don't make it better for anyone.  

Yes, we could all just ignore them and compare ourselves to ourselves, but that's not how most people are built, IMO.  The whole sport suffers with cheaters, I think - even the non-podium folks (I know it bugs me - regardless of where I place).

Matt

2014-07-08 9:44 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D 200 miles in the last 3 days with 2 more rides in the next 2 days. Not much 'noodling time' either. You will all know if I lived thru it if I keep posting here...

Nice going! Definitely some good work just getting through that.

2014-07-08 10:15 AM
in reply to: brigby1

2014-07-08 10:17 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

2014-07-08 11:20 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Fred D...Rusty, you need to get your power numbers up (Sarc)
Ha! Truer words were never spoken, Fred!
2014-07-08 11:30 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Jason N

I think Arend might be onto something.  I'd check the offset value before and after your next ride with the Quarq.  Given the VI of the ride, it would be pretty beastly for you to average 190+ watts during the last 15 miles...with probably a NP in the 250+ range.  Also, not sure if your FTP is set correctly in TP, but a 300 TSS for a 3 hour ride should be a red flag.

I would certainly straighten out the issue first rather than trying to account for the difference.  Power is all about accuracy...that's why you spent big bucks on it.  If you were willing to do estimations and approximations you could just stick with RPE or HR for much cheaper.  The good thing for you is that your potential issues are with 2 of the best companies as far as customer service and warranty returns.

ETA:  Do you remember if you did the back pedal offset technique during the ride and/or if there was weather change?  I know one ride I did started in normal weather, then it started to rain hard.  By the end of the ride, my Quarq was reading about 15% high...I was pushing 360 watts for 3+ minutes without feeling like I was going to throw up.  Once I did the back pedal thing, my numbers came back to normal and all of my other rides since have been fine.

Funny thing was that I actually managed to back pedal 3-4 times during Haleakala on some false flats.  I was so worried about the power numbers drifting as I gained elevation (barometric pressure), but it seemed to work well.

Jason - yes, FTP is way wrong in Training Peaks - we don't use it (my coach is a little mor "organic" than that) so I never bother to adjust it. At least it looks like my power is going in the right direction, regardless! I agree, Arend is most likely spot-on (thanks Arend!), as efforts in my recent race and training sessions seem right compared to watts on both bikes. That ride had a big temperature swing from beginning to end, and as it was a group ride in which I sat right behind the guys that were rotating off for almost the entire ride I will bet I didn't back pedal once. I am normally very good about it, but it has been my experience that kind of behavior can get folks (including me) kinda jumpy when in a close, fast pack.

I may try it again this Sunday when I have a solo recovery ride on the books. Thanks for all the input!

2014-07-08 11:39 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by ChrisM

Decided you only live once, who knows what happens next year, so I'm going to Milwaukee.   I'm racing Bryan Dunn in my AG.  Or rather, chasing Bryan Dunn.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEY?????? What am I, chopped liver????????? Bryan Dunn, phhhhhhhhhht. He is nothing but a washed-up crossfitter.

;^)

Seriously, that is great news, Chris - can't wait to see you there. How soon is reasonable to start the smack talk?

2014-07-08 12:09 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
, California

I'm pretty bummed... my calf isn't healing up very fast.  It ached my entire bike ride on Sunday (which I cut short) and Canada is on the 27th this month.  I have a doc appt today - he'll probably want to make sure I don't have a clot going on - but in any case I suspect I'll be limited to swim-only for awhile.  Arg.

2014-07-08 12:32 PM

Seattle

I'm pretty bummed... my calf isn't healing up very fast.  It ached my entire bike ride on Sunday (which I cut short) and Canada is on the 27th this month.  I have a doc appt today - he'll probably want to make sure I don't have a clot going on - but in any case I suspect I'll be limited to swim-only for awhile.  Arg.

Hey there, dang, you can't seem to catch a break!!! I am reallllly glad you are going to the doc though!! If you have to swim until the end of the month you will still do Canada, right? 

2014-07-08 12:38 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Seattle

From what I hear (no way to know without testing), doping is not happening just at the pointy end.  TONS of stories, perhaps all apocryphal, of MOP/BOP old dudes on T (and not for health reasons - for moving up a bit in the pack, as told).

Again, can't say whether that's true, but I hear it a LOT (and from docs who say no to the request when inappropriate - although there are clearly enough docs who just say, "Meh, no problem - here's your script").

Cheaters don't exist only at the pointy end of the spear, and I'd like to see them outed at any level.  I agree most folks in tri are in it for the experience (I'd argue even many/most of the FOP folks - not many are putting bread on the table in the AG ranks), but cheaters don't make it better for anyone.  

Yes, we could all just ignore them and compare ourselves to ourselves, but that's not how most people are built, IMO.  The whole sport suffers with cheaters, I think - even the non-podium folks (I know it bugs me - regardless of where I place).

Matt

This is so true and so frustrating. I find it incredibly difficult to imagine someone getting any satisfaction from finishing a race (no matter what place) knowing they cheated. What the eff is the point? 

2014-07-08 12:39 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
, California

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Hey there, dang, you can't seem to catch a break!!! I am reallllly glad you are going to the doc though!! If you have to swim until the end of the month you will still do Canada, right? 

Not sure.  I know I can swim.  I'm pretty sure I can finish the bike, but I don't know how I feel about walking an entire marathon.  And even walking feels tight right now.  Although it might be fun to just go demolish the bike course, then hand in my chip and grab some beer

2014-07-08 12:41 PM

Seattle

Not sure.  I know I can swim.  I'm pretty sure I can finish the bike, but I don't know how I feel about walking an entire marathon.  And even walking feels tight right now.  Although it might be fun to just go demolish the bike course, then hand in my chip and grab some beer

Yeah, that sounds amazing. And I am a runner

I don't think I could muster up the...patience to walk a marathon. 

2014-07-08 12:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Seattle

Soooo, I made my final decision and will be racing the 10000m at USATF Club Nationals this Friday. It's going to be hard and I'm going to be DFL as it's taking some time to get my fitness back. But I figured that I can just show up and do my best, use it as a workout and that should be good enough. Or at least I hope so!

Oh yeah, it's also supposed to be 85 degrees and as a Seattleite and more important, a gal who doesn't run well it the heat I may as well be running through the gates of hell. Maybe they wont notice if I wear rollerblades...

2014-07-08 12:47 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Matt

This is so true and so frustrating. I find it incredibly difficult to imagine someone getting any satisfaction from finishing a race (no matter what place) knowing they cheated. What the eff is the point? 

People study psychology for years and still often can't figure that one out.  And we're just talking about drug cheats.  But they're all creating some mental justification that us "regular" folks can't identify with.  See: Kip Litton(edit: maybe a bad example... some would call him a comedic genius)

Edited by spudone 2014-07-08 12:57 PM
2014-07-08 1:53 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Re: My very random thoughts on doping. I should first start off by saying that I know, train, and race regularly against several folks that have been/are on PEDs. The most (in)famous of course is KM. Kevin races in many of the local races around here, and for the past 8 years we have raced head-to-head in the masters category. Now that I am closer to 50 (and thanks to the Fred's of the world) I don't really mix it up in the masters much anymore unless it is a small race, but for several years KM directly impacted my placing in the masters category. I would be less than honest if I didn't admit that it bothered me just a bit, but I am mostly over it now, as there really doesn't seem to be a realistic solution to the problem, and it seems to be misspent energy prattling on about it.

To me one of the sticky issues is that all sorts of topics get mixed up when we start talking about the use of PEDs. Some people take PEDs specifically because they are so "serious" about the sport that it drives them to disfunction, and they intentionally cheat to gain advantage in races. There is another group of people (that don't get talked about much at all) that take PEDs because they LOOOOOVE to train hard every day (but never race) and PEDs (especially T) allow them to continue to do that as they get older. I know and train with several guys that are open about their T use for this reason. I am honestly cool with that (health risks and side effects are between themselves and their doctors, IMO). These are all great guys, fun to train with, all of them cyclists for some reason, and the only thing they "compete" in are county line sprints in fast group rides. Whatever, more power to them: they make me faster on race day. But they have gotten caught up in the fact that for many, the use of PEDs has become an issue of a person's morals or integrity, whether they are used for competition or not. 

Where I experience the most guys I suspect or know are on PEDs is in the big ol' gray slippery space between those two extremes: what about un-timed but organized centuries? Or timed ones, but not really races (no awards or ceremony, but times posted online after you go home)? Relative to T use at least, it is these older fitness junkies that are serious about training but actually casual about racing ("it's no big deal - they are just cheap medals and plastic trophies after all!") where probably the gnarliest, most intractable issue lies, and make it particularly difficult to clean up. The dysfunctional bunch that knows it is wrong and still do it to win are in the minority, IME. It is the bunch that really think it is no big deal because the results in hobby racing/weekend warrioring don't really matter much that is the most insidious.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38742 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74223 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.