BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 230

2010-04-05 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2555972

User image

Subject: RE: SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED
Speaking of wetsuits.....

Tracy, are you doing Beaverdam???
Olympic - Beaverdam - We expect the water temperature to be cool, so we are highly recommending a wetsuit, botties, and neoprene cap. A temperature will be taken early next week and if the water is below 60 we are going to require a wetsuit be worn for the race.

2010-04-05 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2769862

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
TrevorC - 2010-04-05 7:13 PM
Tobey91 - 2010-04-05 4:39 PM
TrevorC - 2010-04-05 6:28 PM So what happens if they water temp is 78F or higher? Do we get to wear our wetsuits? Or is that only if you are planning on placing in your AG?
Ahhhhhh

Are you just trying to start John off on his "read-the-rules" rant again????

Sort of....But seriously i did hear the water temp was getting really warm for Lonestar.
Oh and nice start to season Sox!! If the playoffs started today, Yankees are out of the playoffs !!!

Sox can have a win or two now...Yankess will take the World Series in September.  Kind of like last year!
2010-04-05 8:10 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Thanks ladies for all of the suggestions.  Funny...the shorts she tried on and liked were Sugoi which a lot of you mentioned.  I will take a look at some of the tops you suggested.  She wants to avoid the sports bra underneath if she can.

George

2010-04-05 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2770057

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
gdale - 2010-04-05 7:03 PM
TrevorC - 2010-04-05 7:13 PM
Tobey91 - 2010-04-05 4:39 PM
TrevorC - 2010-04-05 6:28 PM So what happens if they water temp is 78F or higher? Do we get to wear our wetsuits? Or is that only if you are planning on placing in your AG?
Ahhhhhh

Are you just trying to start John off on his "read-the-rules" rant again????

Sort of....But seriously i did hear the water temp was getting really warm for Lonestar.
Oh and nice start to season Sox!! If the playoffs started today, Yankees are out of the playoffs !!!

Sox can have a win or two now...Yankess will take the World Series in September.  Kind of like last year!

or what Canada's team - BLUE JAYS!!! ok, nevermind. they're brutal. Go expos!.
2010-04-05 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2770007

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Havin'Fun - 2010-04-05 6:38 PM

Olympic - Beaverdam - We expect the water temperature to be cool, so we are highly recommending a wetsuit, botties, and neoprene cap. A temperature will be taken early next week and if the water is below 60 we are going to require a wetsuit be worn for the race.

HTFU. If you are doing it Tracy, maybe play tag beforehand. It'll really get the blood pumping, or so I'm told.
2010-04-05 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2767170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Havin'Fun - 2010-04-04 12:11 AM
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-03 10:07 PM ok look.  if you're gonna play tag with your kids AND log it as some sort of work out, don't got throwing one of the little one's down causing a bloody knee and ankle just so you're not IT.   wtf is that!

I'll fess up, guess I shouldn't have put it in my log   But, when you chase three kids around for over an hour without getting anyone you can log it.  They are fast buggars, that was the hardest I've run in a long time.  lol 
Sorry that Ashley fell, but I was ready to call it a day...and that sealed the deal. 
I did take them for ice cream after if that redeems me  

You should totally keep it in your log..  Kids are a major workout.  We took our kid to the Bronx Zoo on Sat and for some reason he didn't want to walk or ride in the stroller.   I carried or had him on my shoulders for at least 3 hrs.  I was exhausted and sore but we had ice cream too and it made everything better.

2010-04-05 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
No wetsuits at Lonestar!?! I bought one, darnit!

Doug - Thanks for the wetsuit tip.

DJ - WTG on your 4 mile run! I love reading your training logs.

I finally get to run again tomorrow. We'll see how the arch inserts treat my feet. 
2010-04-06 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2770088

User image

TrevorC - 2010-04-05 9:20 PM

HTFU. If you are doing it Tracy, maybe play tag beforehand. It'll really get the blood pumping, or so I'm told.

I wouldn't suggest playing tag for too long before the race...you'll burn out Tongue out
BTW - 60 degree water is cold for these parts
2010-04-06 7:36 AM

User image

Expert
Well I have been quiet for a while, so time to pipe up.  Today will be my first day back in the pool since surgery.  Hopefully my lungs held up well.  I have 3.5 weeks until my first race and want to be back up to 1:30/100 for the pool swim.  I have been improvising with the nice weather we have had and put my bike on the trainer on our deck to get some of the nice weather.  This week will probably be my first trip outside, or maybe the weekend.  My run times have been looking very good, I am shocked at how well I am improving in that area with fairly low focus, my bike on the other hand, well I would prefer to just wait and see how it translates to road speeds.

We did some bike shopping this weekend for my wife and was it ever difficult.  There were only a handful of bikes that fit our criteria, and that was a stretch as well.  We ended up getting her an 09 Felt ZW35, will get a picture up sooner than later.  For the price it is nice as it has a carbon fork/seat stay, I am not thrilled about the components, but I will start watching for random pieces to upgrade over time.  Would like to get it up to 105s, but for the time being it will work.  She got fitted and looks really comfortable on it.  I hope to get out on a ride this weekend with her.

Anyone here use Look or Shimano pedals?  Both my wife and I are on Speedplays, and for as long as I have used them, I still find them difficult to get in and out.  I am thinking about offloading our pedals and replacing with Looks or Shimano. How is ease of entry/exit?  Any hotspots when riding?
2010-04-06 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2770338

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
kickitinok - 2010-04-05 11:56 PM No wetsuits at Lonestar!?! I bought one, darnit!

Doug - Thanks for the wetsuit tip.

DJ - WTG on your 4 mile run! I love reading your training logs.

I finally get to run again tomorrow. We'll see how the arch inserts treat my feet. 

It should be wetsuit legal, I wouldn't worry about it.
2010-04-06 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2770484

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Havin'Fun - 2010-04-06 7:39 AM
TrevorC - 2010-04-05 9:20 PM

I wouldn't suggest playing tag for too long before the race...you'll burn out Tongue out
BTW - 60 degree water is cold for these parts

I raced Beaver Dam last year as a warm up for White Lake and my Doug is doing that combo this year.  Personally, I'm still thawing out from Beach 2 Battleship last November.  However I have offered to do some OWSing with him this week if he wants....funny thing is that HE hasn't said if he wants too.  I've been telling him for 2 weeks to get some booties but it wasn't until he read that posting on the race website that he finally went and bought some.  MEN!  

2010-04-06 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2770608

User image

Elite
Raleigh
If you look back only a couple of pages there was a lot of discussion about Look Keo pedals. A lot of us use them. I rode Time pedals for a long time and switched to Look last year. They are great. and I highly recommend them. Tony is the speedplay afficinado.

jvanis - 2010-04-06 8:36 AM Well I have been quiet for a while, so time to pipe up.  Today will be my first day back in the pool since surgery.  Hopefully my lungs held up well.  I have 3.5 weeks until my first race and want to be back up to 1:30/100 for the pool swim.  I have been improvising with the nice weather we have had and put my bike on the trainer on our deck to get some of the nice weather.  This week will probably be my first trip outside, or maybe the weekend.  My run times have been looking very good, I am shocked at how well I am improving in that area with fairly low focus, my bike on the other hand, well I would prefer to just wait and see how it translates to road speeds.

We did some bike shopping this weekend for my wife and was it ever difficult.  There were only a handful of bikes that fit our criteria, and that was a stretch as well.  We ended up getting her an 09 Felt ZW35, will get a picture up sooner than later.  For the price it is nice as it has a carbon fork/seat stay, I am not thrilled about the components, but I will start watching for random pieces to upgrade over time.  Would like to get it up to 105s, but for the time being it will work.  She got fitted and looks really comfortable on it.  I hope to get out on a ride this weekend with her.

Anyone here use Look or Shimano pedals?  Both my wife and I are on Speedplays, and for as long as I have used them, I still find them difficult to get in and out.  I am thinking about offloading our pedals and replacing with Looks or Shimano. How is ease of entry/exit?  Any hotspots when riding?
2010-04-06 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Are we going to have our virtual tri anytime soon?   I'd like to second the suggestions that everyone sign up who wants to participate in any part of it, and then we'll find the average time for each leg of each group. That way everyone gets to play.
2010-04-06 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2770752

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2010-04-06 9:34 AM Are we going to have our virtual tri anytime soon?   I'd like to second the suggestions that everyone sign up who wants to participate in any part of it, and then we'll find the average time for each leg of each group. That way everyone gets to play.

I wasn't sure since a few of us were coming up on a taper.  LOL then I have a race every other weekend for a bit.

Sorry I kind of dropped the ball on this one.
2010-04-06 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2770756

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2010-04-06 9:35 AM
tahrens - 2010-04-06 9:34 AM Are we going to have our virtual tri anytime soon?   I'd like to second the suggestions that everyone sign up who wants to participate in any part of it, and then we'll find the average time for each leg of each group. That way everyone gets to play.

I wasn't sure since a few of us were coming up on a taper.  LOL then I have a race every other weekend for a bit.

But don't you think Sprint distances would work with the taper - especially if we spread it out over the rest of the month?  Or are you worried about the exerction level? 
2010-04-06 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2770811

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2010-04-06 9:53 AM
dalessit - 2010-04-06 9:35 AM

But don't you think Sprint distances would work with the taper - especially if we spread it out over the rest of the month?  Or are you worried about the exerction level? 

True, anyone not want to do it now?

2010-04-06 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2770752

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2010-04-06 8:34 AM Are we going to have our virtual tri anytime soon?   I'd like to second the suggestions that everyone sign up who wants to participate in any part of it, and then we'll find the average time for each leg of each group. That way everyone gets to play.

we've been trying to set up a virtual tri against a few other MG's but it hasn't worked out for one reason or another. the new mg starts up in a few weeks so we'll try again then or have one similiar to what we did last year.

i'd think we're going to have people racing pretty much every weekend soon so if taper or racing every other weekend get in your way then don't participate. 

2010-04-06 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2770844

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-06 10:01 AM
tahrens - 2010-04-06 8:34 AM Are we going to have our virtual tri anytime soon?   I'd like to second the suggestions that everyone sign up who wants to participate in any part of it, and then we'll find the average time for each leg of each group. That way everyone gets to play.

we've been trying to set up a virtual tri against a few other MG's but it hasn't worked out for one reason or another. the new mg starts up in a few weeks so we'll try again then or have one similiar to what we did last year.

i'd think we're going to have people racing pretty much every weekend soon so if taper or racing every other weekend get in your way then don't participate. 

So i'm confused. Are we doing it now or waiting for the new group?
2010-04-06 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2769788

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2010-04-05 5:28 PM So what happens if they water temp is 78F or higher? Do we get to wear our wetsuits? Or is that only if you are planning on placing in your AG?
Ahhhhhh

below is a email i sent out last night.  sorry i thought i copied everyone but i guess not. 

i'm not sure what to make of the water temps at this point. however, the post on the lone star thread is misleading.  there are no gauges in offatt's bayou, i spoke with and emailed with a program manager at NOAA's galveston lab this morning to confirm.   the gauge referenced in the thread is 4 miles east of offatt's and in the gulf of mexico.  more precisely located at the bottom of the southern end of the flagship pier.   4 miles may not seem like much but when talking about this it is. 

there are two gauges north of this one in galveston bay, not the gulf.  the closest one, eagle point is ~5 degree's cooler and the furthest one, morgans point,  is ~7 degrees cooler.  i'd pay more attention to these two.

and maybe most importantly, ;-), offatt's bayou is man made.  it was created way back in the early 1900's by dredging to actually build parts of the island.  there are some very deep holes in it with some very cold water.

also the post says something about a trend yet only provides one data point.  i'm not sure how a trend or pattern can be established. i've been watching the temp's since for several days now.  at galveston pleasure pier it dropped over a degree from saturday night to sunday.  it picked up four degrees since.  water doesn't heat up and cool down like this without the help of some serious currents. 

my race sunday is a few miles north of where we'll be swimming.  i'll get a better feel for it then.

either way though i don't think it will be above 84 so you should be fine wearing a wetsuit if your're comfortable wearing it in water that warm

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-04-06 9:42 AM
2010-04-06 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Question about Look Keos then since we have a high population of users.  Do they hang with the back end down, I know the Shimanos are weighted toward the back so all you do is push the toe in and then step down, are the Looks weighted similarly?  I am just about to pull the trigger on a set.  What lines does everyone use?  I am probably looking towards the Keo 2 Max, dont think I can justify the carbons.
2010-04-06 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2770981

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-06 10:41 AM
TrevorC - 2010-04-05 5:28 PM So what happens if they water temp is 78F or higher? Do we get to wear our wetsuits? Or is that only if you are planning on placing in your AG?
Ahhhhhh

below is a email i sent out last night.  sorry i thought i copied everyone but i guess not. 

i'm not sure what to make of the water temps at this point. however, the post on the lone star thread is misleading.  there are no gauges in offatt's bayou, i spoke with and emailed with a program manager at NOAA's galveston lab this morning to confirm.   the gauge referenced in the thread is 4 miles east of offatt's and in the gulf of mexico.  more precisely located at the bottom of the southern end of the flagship pier.   4 miles may not seem like much but when talking about this it is. 

there are two gauges north of this one in galveston bay, not the gulf.  the closest one, eagle point is ~5 degree's cooler and the furthest one, morgans point,  is ~7 degrees cooler.  i'd pay more attention to these two.

and maybe most importantly, ;-), offatt's bayou is man made.  it was created way back in the early 1900's by dredging to actually build parts of the island.  there are some very deep holes in it with some very cold water.

also the post says something about a trend yet only provides one data point.  i'm not sure how a trend or pattern can be established. i've been watching the temp's since for several days now.  at galveston pleasure pier it dropped over a degree from saturday night to sunday.  it picked up four degrees since.  water doesn't heat up and cool down like this without the help of some serious currents. 

my race sunday is a few miles north of where we'll be swimming.  i'll get a better feel for it then.

either way though i don't think it will be above 84 so you should be fine wearing a wetsuit if your're comfortable wearing it in water that warm

Not too worried, for races that are always close they tend to measure out a bit further, deeper, closer, etc. to get the reading they want.

2010-04-06 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2770981

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-06 8:41 AM
Ahhhhhh

I would have been content with a 'yes' or 'no' answer, so the amount of information you provided to a simple question leads me to nominate you as the SWBKRUN MVA'er(most valuable answerer) so far today.
2010-04-06 10:38 AM

Most of you will not remember, but at the first part of March I asked for some advice about swimming and swimming endurance.  The advice that was given from Suzy and the rest of you was great.  Balance is the Key.  My complaint was that I could swim a 1000 yards but had to be done in bits and pieces, I could not for the life of me swim more then a 100 yards straight. So I set a Goal after taking your advice to swim 500 yards by the end of March by working drills and balance techniques.  I set the date of March 29th as my due date, and if you look at my blog March 29th sucked, I was fighting off a head cold that weekend, needless to say when I jump in the pool and started to swim my warm up laps I just about drowned.  I have never swam with a cold before and I didn't realize until then how plug up my nose was.  On my first breath I had to stop and come up for air because nothing come out my nose.  To my defeat I postponed the due date until today.  I swam yesterday to test the waters and to see if I could breath once aging, all be it a little rusty from taking a week off from everything I thought I would give it a go. 

Got to the pool this morning at 5 am (couldn't sleep) did 200 yd warm up rested 2 minutes did another 200 yards.  Then I did 100 yd easy with 30 sec rest in between, up until I was at 900 yards total.  After swimming the 900 yards I waited for 3 minutes trying to talk my self out of it, then I had a "What the Hell moment, what do you have to lose?"  So I started swimming, and every lap felt so hard for some reason, I got to 200 yards and thought I was going to die, I have never swam more the 200 yard consistently.  When I made the turn for 250 I thought it was over, struggled through it, hit the wall for the turn and things got easy, I broke through the mental wall that I had put up and swam until I hit 2100 yards total. 

I Swam 1200 yards straight

I was so stoked that I got out of the pool headed home and went for a 3.1 mile run.  I have never done a triathlon before, but today, for the first time I'm starting to feel like triathlete.

Thanks for the support.

Ben

2010-04-06 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Ben--I am doing the happy dance for you!!!  I know what it feels like to make that turn around and it is awesome.  Congratulations...now you must tell us what you feel you did differently over the course of the month to improve...details buddy.

Jeff-I used to use Shimano DAs and switched to TIME and love them them. No hotspots, easy to get in and out of it and lightweight.....

I am doing my own happy dance too....had another one of those blind threshold rides which have turned out to be my favorite....main set is 3x20s with 10' recovery between each....today 95-103% of FTP.   And I wasn't totally gassed at the end which probably means I could be giving a little more.

Ok, all others...share some news....what has gone well so far today? this week?

2010-04-06 10:51 AM

User image

Awesome job Ben.  Now that is one hell of a breakthrough!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 230