General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2010-10-09 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3006331

Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Hey folks

Signed up for IM Coeur d'Alene a couple weeks ago through a foundation slot. Did IM Canada two years ago and haven't done a thing since b/c of injury and lack of motivation! Looking for all the help I can get right now with training as I live in Abu Dhabi (UAE). Training is going to be fine all winter but will be over 100 by mid May so will be tough to finish off...also land at sea level here and land is flat as a pancake!

Thanks!

2010-10-09 11:30 PM
in reply to: #3142566

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
gus - 2010-10-09 10:18 AM Hey folks Signed up for IM Coeur d'Alene a couple weeks ago through a foundation slot. Did IM Canada two years ago and haven't done a thing since b/c of injury and lack of motivation! Looking for all the help I can get right now with training as I live in Abu Dhabi (UAE). Training is going to be fine all winter but will be over 100 by mid May so will be tough to finish off...also land at sea level here and land is flat as a pancake! Thanks!

Hey Gus! Welcome to the party! Wow, the UAE, that's a long way to travel for a race! I think you're going to win "came the furthest" BT award!   I lived in Sharjah from '82-'89--so I know what you're talking about with the heat and don't envy training there once that starts hitting!  Training for the hills will be tough--not sure how much money you have at your disposal, but if it's a good chunk, I personally would buy a Computrainer.  Expensive purchase--but excellent training tool from what I hear, especially for those who have weather limits on training. I plan to buy one in a couple of years when I know I'm going to be in some cold winter places.  Other than that, if you can't replicate hills, do lots of riding into the wind, and in a hard gear. Not perfect replication, for sure, but will help build up the resistance strength. 

Glad to have you with our happy crew!
2010-10-10 9:33 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Welcome Gus, WOW, I don't even want to think about your travel plans to Idaho Surprised

Hope the training goes well!
2010-10-11 9:17 AM

User image

Seattle, WA
I think a few people in this group ran marathons yesterday. How did it go for everyone?I ran Portland in the pouring rain and ended up having my best race by far. I started with the 3:40 pace group (shooting for Boston), but when they took off too fast I decided to go it alone. Felt great at mile 18 and decided to pick up the pace around that point. I ended up catching the pacers and then flying by them on a good downhill at mile 23. I ended up finishing with a 3:38:01, a PR by 25 minutes! I ran it with my mom, who also BQed.Looking forward to taking a week or so off to rest my aching legs! Then it's time for a bike/swim focus for a few months.Oh and I will also skip doing Boston in 2011, it's just too close to CDA for comfort. 2012 it is!
2010-10-11 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3144662

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
mango6383 - 2010-10-11 8:17 AM I think a few people in this group ran marathons yesterday. How did it go for everyone?

Mango - Great job yesterday at Portland.  Congrats on the PR and BQ.

I ran the Spokane Marathon yesterday.  First 15 miles were good but at mile 16 I started to crash.  Given my training I got what I deserved.  3:56.
2010-10-11 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Congrats to you you marathon finishers -- T-Lib -- I'd take 3:56 this year.

Enjoy your post mary recovery.

2010-10-11 11:32 AM

Sharjah to Dibba is a nice ride and goes through the Hajer/Hatta mountains to hope to get that in a couple times as well as Jebel Hafeet in Al Ain...sucks though when you have to drive somewhere to ride!

Can you believe I will be driving to the race?!? Originally from Saskatchewan so will fly home mid June, spend a week there to get over jet lag then drive down for the race...think that still qualifies as the farthest trip to race!

Things have changed in the UAE since you were here! I first visited here in 2000 from Egypt and it's a whole different world since then.

Cheers
2010-10-11 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

Mango - great job on Portland - 25 min is AWESOME.  It was my best ever too..even with the rain and ick!  10 min PR and my bigger happiness - just under 5 hr.  No dreams of BQing... just finishing and improving as I can.

T - nice job on pushing through the miles - hopefully the mary at the end of the month will be better.

Next on the list Philly in Nov coupled with a 20th anniversary HOCKEY trip!  I get a marathon and 5 hockey games...sweet!

~Ann

2010-10-11 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3144662

User image

Master
mango6383 - 2010-10-11 7:17 AM I think a few people in this group ran marathons yesterday. How did it go for everyone?I ran Portland in the pouring rain and ended up having my best race by far. I started with the 3:40 pace group (shooting for Boston), but when they took off too fast I decided to go it alone. Felt great at mile 18 and decided to pick up the pace around that point. I ended up catching the pacers and then flying by them on a good downhill at mile 23. I ended up finishing with a 3:38:01, a PR by 25 minutes! I ran it with my mom, who also BQed.Looking forward to taking a week or so off to rest my aching legs! Then it's time for a bike/swim focus for a few months.Oh and I will also skip doing Boston in 2011, it's just too close to CDA for comfort. 2012 it is!

CONGRATULATIONS to you and Ann on great days in Portland yesterday!! I started the full... stayed with the 3:50 pacers until mile 6, then pulled ahead of them, then they caught me around mile 12 and I hung with them for 2 miles, and then I had a moment where I knew I couldn't do my plan (3:50) and I opted to cut my losses in favor of the Big Picture. I DNF'ed dropping out at mile 14. Am OK with the decision, although not happy to have put in so much training and not reap even a PR. So I may look for another mary in the Nov-Jan timeframe (contemplating Seattle or Phoenix), then ramp up the IM training. In hindsight I'm wondering had I followed your strategy of not staying with the pacers early on if I could have had a better race, or if I burned my book of matches too soon. Clearly I did -- it was not just mental weakness that caused me to stop; my legs would not have kept going. In any case, it is never easy to stop, especially when you have an IM in your rear-view mirror, or looking out your windshield either, for that matter!!

Good job to all on a tough day, and congrast to T in LL also!!! What an awesome bunch!!

Have been absent around here lately as I've been all about running, running, running... Probably need some balance for awhile now!!
2010-10-11 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Race suits... 1 piece or 2??  So I have always raced with 2 piece suits, but I am considering a 1 piece.  here is my reasoning... 1) When I ride with Bibs they are 1000% more comfortable than using shorts and a jersey, you just do not get that bunching up that is so uncomfortable and 2) I spent wayyyy too much time in transition at IMLP because I literally changed both times...  I swam in swim trunks (and a wetsuit), then put on actual cycling shorts for the bike, then switched to my tri shorts and a new shirt for the run.  True cycling shorts are not made to swim in... at all... which is why I did not wear them under my wetsuit, they would have been water logged for hours and I figured if I was about to spend several hours running a new shirt would be nice.  You also cannot run a marathin with a big 'ol honkin Chamois...

So, opinions from those who have raced long distances in both???  Thoughts and comments welcome.  Obviously my concern is if the chamois on a trisuit works great for an oly or even 70.3, but in an IM it is too thin.  It still looks like the pro's are about 50/50 on this because it is opbviously a personal choice.  On a side note... the really cool Under Armour one Macca wore Saturday is not available, which is so stupid for UA, why sponsor an athlete and then not make the product available??? DUMB!!!!!!

hrrrmphhhh....

2010-10-11 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3145549

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
gremlin327 - 2010-10-11 12:14 PM

Race suits... 1 piece or 2??  So I have always raced with 2 piece suits, but I am considering a 1 piece.  here is my reasoning... 1) When I ride with Bibs they are 1000% more comfortable than using shorts and a jersey, you just do not get that bunching up that is so uncomfortable and 2) I spent wayyyy too much time in transition at IMLP because I literally changed both times...  I swam in swim trunks (and a wetsuit), then put on actual cycling shorts for the bike, then switched to my tri shorts and a new shirt for the run.  True cycling shorts are not made to swim in... at all... which is why I did not wear them under my wetsuit, they would have been water logged for hours and I figured if I was about to spend several hours running a new shirt would be nice.  You also cannot run a marathin with a big 'ol honkin Chamois...

So, opinions from those who have raced long distances in both???  Thoughts and comments welcome.  Obviously my concern is if the chamois on a trisuit works great for an oly or even 70.3, but in an IM it is too thin.  It still looks like the pro's are about 50/50 on this because it is opbviously a personal choice.  On a side note... the really cool Under Armour one Macca wore Saturday is not available, which is so stupid for UA, why sponsor an athlete and then not make the product available??? DUMB!!!!!!

hrrrmphhhh....

I love tri-shorts. I rarely even wear cycling shorts--only for long trainer rides cause that's more difficult on me than regular riding. I wore the same thing all day at IMAZ last year.  Tri-shorts, tri-top...I did wear arm warmers on the bike and took those off for the run, and of course added socks and a visor for the run. I figure, I'm going to be nasty whether I change or not. I do all my training and racing in tri-shorts, and tri-top (or cycling jersey), so I race that way too.  I personally wouldn't go with a one-piece cause i'd be concerned about what would happen if I had to hit the bathroom often...that could be a pain.  But, I'm a fan of wearing the same thing all day--but I'm also searching for every second of free time in transition too.

2010-10-11 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3145650

Master
, California
I personally wouldn't go with a one-piece cause i'd be concerned about what would happen if I had to hit the bathroom often...that could be a pain.

^^^

One piece is a hassle for pit stops.
2010-10-11 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3145694

User image

Master
Another vote for tri shorts. (Not a man and don't do the one-piece thing for long distances, cuz I like separates for comfort and bathroom factors!) Anyway, I exclusively wear tri shorts, even for 7-hour bike rides and trainer rides. I have much less chafing than with cycling shorts. Swimming in them is no biggie, so I wear tri shorts and a tri tank under the wetsuit and the whole outfit for the whole race. I put on socks for running (for anything over a sprint) and that's it.
2010-10-11 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3145650

User image

Expert
TexasMPGal - 2010-10-11 1:01 PM
gremlin327 - 2010-10-11 12:14 PM

hrrrmphhhh....

I love tri-shorts. I rarely even wear cycling shorts--only for long trainer rides cause that's more difficult on me than regular riding. I wore the same thing all day at IMAZ last year.  Tri-shorts, tri-top...I did wear arm warmers on the bike and took those off for the run, and of course added socks and a visor for the run. I figure, I'm going to be nasty whether I change or not. I do all my training and racing in tri-shorts, and tri-top (or cycling jersey), so I race that way too.  I personally wouldn't go with a one-piece cause i'd be concerned about what would happen if I had to hit the bathroom often...that could be a pain.  But, I'm a fan of wearing the same thing all day--but I'm also searching for every second of free time in transition too.

I agree with this.  I'm all about the two piece so I can wear the same thing the entire day.  Every second counts to me and changing just isn't an option.  I've never trained in anything besides tri shorts so it's what I'm accustomed to.  However, it's a long day out there and I feel that many people would rather give up a few minutes to change and be comfortable on the bike/run.  I find tri shorts to be very comfortable and never had an issue, even on 7+ hour rides.
2010-10-11 5:09 PM

Master
, California
Gotta also say: not all tri shorts are equal.  The Zoot ones I've had, in particular, are very minimal padding.  DeSoto on the other hand, makes some tri shorts that I find more suitable for long rides.
2010-10-11 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I'm on the TriShorts train as well. Raced both IMs in TriShorts and Sports bra for the swim, threw on sleeveless jersey in T1 and then changed to a running top in T2. If you train in them you should be good to go.

I used to wear Zoot but they completely restyled their shorts and after literally ordering like 10 different shorts from every imaginable brand searching for a suitable replacement I think 2XU are the winners. Lots of pockets, drawstring, internal grippy leg and non-intrusive chamois.

Hope that helps!

2010-10-11 9:44 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

I've done my IM's and 1/2 IM's in Tri shorts and tri top and never had any problem with the padding - it is more than sufficient.  I have done one 1/2 IM in a one piece tri suit and that was very comfortable.  I did need to use the restroom once but I had it unzipped and basically down to my waist before opening the port-a-potty door so it wasn't inconvenient; now if I was stopping every mile that could be another story.  The one piece was super comfortable around the waist and you do not have to worry about getting that nice tramp stamp sunburn while in the aero position.

I've been seriously thinking about using Desoto's new tri bib and a tri top this year.  Bibs would be harder to get off as you need to take your top off to get the bibs down.  http://www.desotosport.com/products/product.asp?Category=mforza&ProdID=FBTS

2010-10-11 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3145549

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

6xIM.  I have always raced in trishort and a tank top.  I put them on at the start of the day under my wetsuit and leave it on until I cross the finish line (and then a little longer because they don't like it when you strip in the finish chute).  I've used both zoot and oomph, I like them both.

2010-10-11 10:50 PM

Champion
No excuses!
4x IM for me and like T, tri shorts and tank top with no issues.
2010-10-12 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Well, I am sold... 2 piece it is.  Great point on the pit stops.   I guess after having the unfortunate experience of walking into a port-o-john at mile 12 of a 2 loop run that is also on the bike course you really do not want to be fighting your race suit.  For those that have done an IM you know what I am sayig, for those that have not... imagine what the inside of a port-o-john would look like AFTER it rolled down a hill...  ewwwww...

Not the ultimate challenge, finding one I like.  The biggest challenge in all of Triathlon.  Somebody mentioned ealrier buying 10 pair before they liked one.  I have Zoot's I LOVE for Oly's, but the Chamois is way too thin for IM.  I also have Zoot distance tri shorts with a slightly thicker pad, but in the same size as the ones I love they are soooo much smaller is it not funny.  Why are all mens tri clothes sized like all triathletes are 5'9" and 135 pounds???  Ordering Tri gear is impossible through mail order and the shops in Nashville suck.  I digress... thanks for the unanimous input, I have been swayed.

2010-10-12 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3146789

Master
, California
I have Zoot's I LOVE for Oly's, but the Chamois is way too thin for IM.

That is my opinion, exactly.  My scrawny build can't handle that for a century.

I've heard good things about the De Soto 400 mile shorts but I haven't tried them yet.  They do accept returns / exchanges so maybe I'll bite the bullet and get a pair, even though they are spendy.

2010-10-12 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3147276

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
spudone - 2010-10-12 9:18 AM
I have Zoot's I LOVE for Oly's, but the Chamois is way too thin for IM.

That is my opinion, exactly.  My scrawny build can't handle that for a century.

I've heard good things about the De Soto 400 mile shorts but I haven't tried them yet.  They do accept returns / exchanges so maybe I'll bite the bullet and get a pair, even though they are spendy.

I have heard good things about those shorts too, and they are probably what I will try.  I used to buy cheap clothing, but I kind of came to the realization that the stuff will last atleast 5 or more years, so probably a good idea to get something that is comfortable, even if it is $40 more. 
2010-10-12 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3146278

User image

Master
leopard8996 - 2010-10-11 6:50 PM I'm on the TriShorts train as well. Raced both IMs in TriShorts and Sports bra for the swim, threw on sleeveless jersey in T1 and then changed to a running top in T2. If you train in them you should be good to go. I used to wear Zoot but they completely restyled their shorts and after literally ordering like 10 different shorts from every imaginable brand searching for a suitable replacement I think 2XU are the winners. Lots of pockets, drawstring, internal grippy leg and non-intrusive chamois. Hope that helps!

Yes! I have older Zoots I still love, but my newer ones not so much and I only use them now for short rides.

My tri team shorts are Sugoi and I LOVE them. I actually committed the cardinal nothing-new-on-race-day sin and my first super-duper long ride in them was my IM (did shorter test rides previously) and I was in heaven shorts-wise for the whole race. VERY happy with them.
2010-10-12 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3147713

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
kkcbelle - 2010-10-12 11:38 AM

leopard8996 - 2010-10-11 6:50 PM I'm on the TriShorts train as well. Raced both IMs in TriShorts and Sports bra for the swim, threw on sleeveless jersey in T1 and then changed to a running top in T2. If you train in them you should be good to go. I used to wear Zoot but they completely restyled their shorts and after literally ordering like 10 different shorts from every imaginable brand searching for a suitable replacement I think 2XU are the winners. Lots of pockets, drawstring, internal grippy leg and non-intrusive chamois. Hope that helps!

Yes! I have older Zoots I still love, but my newer ones not so much and I only use them now for short rides.

My tri team shorts are Sugoi and I LOVE them. I actually committed the cardinal nothing-new-on-race-day sin and my first super-duper long ride in them was my IM (did shorter test rides previously) and I was in heaven shorts-wise for the whole race. VERY happy with them.

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered a pair and I'll try them out
2010-10-12 10:15 PM

Champion
No excuses!
I keep hearing about the Desoto 400 mile shorts. I think I will have to order a pair cause our local stores don't carry them. Any one know how they run size wise?
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171