BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-04-30 12:38 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by melbo55

Got my first couple runs back in the books. Damn it feels good to run! It's crazy how much I miss it after just a few days! Taking a nice easy week then building into ... uhhh, well, building into something. 

Also, here is my Boston Marathon Race Report

So you are over your illness?  Glad to see ya back!

Feeling better, yes. But I still feel off. I am super happy to be running again and my legs feel great but I get the sweats and feel kind of fevery now and again. I'm making a GASP doctors appointment today (haven't been in like 2 years...)

Thanks for asking!

The fevers and sweats sound icky but at least you're able to run again.  Hope you survive the doc appt!

2014-04-30 12:51 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Thanks so much for the good words and thoughts, Manatees. Kitty update:

Cat finally dropped down to under the car again. I made a net out of an old bike tyre (see, honey, they ARE still good for something, that's why I have so many of 'em lying around) netted with a leopard-print sarong (lucky leopard ... I was hopeful). Slid it right over and hooped the cat, carefully slid him into a large cloth bag, and took him to the vet.

Quite dehydrated and hypothermic (prob from dehydration, I live in the tropics), so probably had been injured a day or several ago, somehow got/fled under my fence, dogs got excited at the strange new frantic arrival and nipping at it. Had an open abdominal wound with swelling, bruising, and rigidity around it--not very good signs for the poor cat but also thankfully not from my dogs.

Thorough exam from the vet and X-ray (neg for fx but clearly there's some spinal cord / nerve root compromise, partial loss of mobility as well as sensation in hindquarters). Likely type and extent of damages -- depends on whether it's actual neural damage or compression from swelling from trauma. Doesn't look good, but not hopeless either.

Raider (I thought he deserved a name) calmed down considerably at the vet's and upon being handled--clearly belonged to someone and liked humans. He'd been yowling loudly. I had a quiet chat with him and asked him what he'd like to do ... was he ready to go or did he want to cash in on one of the 9 lives?

He looked at me and meowed. Not the loud howl-yowls he'd been doing. Just a meow and tried to get up and actually move toward me (rather gallant considering I'd pretty much been torturing him all day, but some animals can sense when you're trying to help). I stroked him very gently and he nuzzled his head on my hand.

He seemed like he wanted to stick around. So they're hydrating him and some nutrients in the solution, but he'll also eat wet food. We'll give him a few days and see how he feels about things then.

So glad he crawled in to your car and not some other car! I think you and Raider (if he decides to stick around) are going to be "fast friends" as the Britts like to say. He's a cutie to be sure! As the others have said, please keep us posted.

yay! SO glad he's got a bit of survivor in him. Been following his saga on FB.
2014-04-30 2:21 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Been a busy few days. Got our short-term foster pup. Took at least two hours to get him introduced properly to our beasts. I was tired out!

He's flying to Alaska this afternoon. Never knew they had a demand for Chihuahuas up there. Or they're a little confused on the size of desert sled dogs. Here's a couple of pics of the tiny piece of fur.

What a cutie!!  Glad he's already found a home.  Hope they're planning to give him some sweaters; depending on where he's going he's likely to to need 'em!

Heck, he's likely going to need an entire snow-suit!!  

2014-04-30 5:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Been a busy few days. Got our short-term foster pup. Took at least two hours to get him introduced properly to our beasts. I was tired out!

He's flying to Alaska this afternoon. Never knew they had a demand for Chihuahuas up there. Or they're a little confused on the size of desert sled dogs. Here's a couple of pics of the tiny piece of fur.

What a cutie!!  Glad he's already found a home.  Hope they're planning to give him some sweaters; depending on where he's going he's likely to to need 'em!

Erin, think the little guy will go for this get-up? 

Or for the indoors, there's the Snuggie option:

Edited by laffinrock 2014-04-30 5:09 PM
2014-04-30 7:09 PM

User image

Master

Hahaha! Those are great. I'm not a "dress up my dog" person, but I find them so entertaining. Maybe I'll be buying him a speedo for the summer months around here. Because....

It seems he somehow "missed" his flight. Not sure what the rescue coordinator is actually coordinating. If she wanted me to help with him for more than two days, she could've just asked. His flight supposedly left at 4:30 today, but I haven't heard anything from her since last night. hmmmm...oh well. He's a happy pup in a good place right now

2014-04-30 7:22 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master

Originally posted by JJ- Well after 2 years of preparing it's finally here. In 14 days I will be driving to Houston to try and accomplish my dream of Ironman. For you IronDistance Vets any final words of wisdom as I'm wrapping up my last week and beginning my Taper?

No wisdom here.

All I know is that you are trained, prepared and determined. Now stay sane (I use the term loosely around IM people...particularly IManatees) during taper.

2014-04-30 7:32 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by melbo55

Got my first couple runs back in the books. Damn it feels good to run! It's crazy how much I miss it after just a few days! Taking a nice easy week then building into ... uhhh, well, building into something. 

Also, here is my Boston Marathon Race Report

So you are over your illness?  Glad to see ya back!

Feeling better, yes. But I still feel off. I am super happy to be running again and my legs feel great but I get the sweats and feel kind of fevery now and again. I'm making a GASP doctors appointment today (haven't been in like 2 years...)

Thanks for asking!

Sooooo...did you?  After two years it's easy to "forget". (not that I would know or anything )

2014-04-30 7:43 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner

Some scenes from my trip to Moab. We spent most of the time wheeling (with a little hiking) but I was able to squeeze in some time to run and bike.

Yay for fun trips! Love the pics.

I just asked J last night what he thought of taking a hiking/mtb vacation when all this job stuff gets settled. We've done the tropical and the coastal, so maybe a change of scenery this time.

2014-04-30 7:47 PM

User image

Master

Awwwww cute! Love the size contrast haha

I know! Phil is 100+ and Max is less than 10.   Seeing them in person, Max is the size of Phil's head.

2014-05-01 6:29 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Thanks for the comments. Getting so excited

Edited by JJ- 2014-05-01 6:30 AM
2014-05-01 9:43 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Thanks so much for the good words and thoughts, Manatees. Kitty update:

Cat finally dropped down to under the car again. I made a net out of an old bike tyre (see, honey, they ARE still good for something, that's why I have so many of 'em lying around) netted with a leopard-print sarong (lucky leopard ... I was hopeful). Slid it right over and hooped the cat, carefully slid him into a large cloth bag, and took him to the vet.

Quite dehydrated and hypothermic (prob from dehydration, I live in the tropics), so probably had been injured a day or several ago, somehow got/fled under my fence, dogs got excited at the strange new frantic arrival and nipping at it. Had an open abdominal wound with swelling, bruising, and rigidity around it--not very good signs for the poor cat but also thankfully not from my dogs.

Thorough exam from the vet and X-ray (neg for fx but clearly there's some spinal cord / nerve root compromise, partial loss of mobility as well as sensation in hindquarters). Likely type and extent of damages -- depends on whether it's actual neural damage or compression from swelling from trauma. Doesn't look good, but not hopeless either.

Raider (I thought he deserved a name) calmed down considerably at the vet's and upon being handled--clearly belonged to someone and liked humans. He'd been yowling loudly. I had a quiet chat with him and asked him what he'd like to do ... was he ready to go or did he want to cash in on one of the 9 lives?

He looked at me and meowed. Not the loud howl-yowls he'd been doing. Just a meow and tried to get up and actually move toward me (rather gallant considering I'd pretty much been torturing him all day, but some animals can sense when you're trying to help). I stroked him very gently and he nuzzled his head on my hand.

He seemed like he wanted to stick around. So they're hydrating him and some nutrients in the solution, but he'll also eat wet food. We'll give him a few days and see how he feels about things then.

aawww so glad he found you

and Jonathan I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!

2014-05-01 10:27 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Hahaha! Those are great. I'm not a "dress up my dog" person, but I find them so entertaining. Maybe I'll be buying him a speedo for the summer months around here. Because....

It seems he somehow "missed" his flight. Not sure what the rescue coordinator is actually coordinating. If she wanted me to help with him for more than two days, she could've just asked. His flight supposedly left at 4:30 today, but I haven't heard anything from her since last night. hmmmm...oh well. He's a happy pup in a good place right now

OMG - Mary, those are freakin' hilarious!!!   Have you ever seen the YouTube videos of the first time dogs try to walk with booties on??  Tears rolling down my face every single time! 

Erin - how the heck did the flight mishap happen??  Was the coordinator supposed to pick him up from you and just didn't??  Weird.  Oh well, glad he's got some good people taking care of him until he does make his flight.   

2014-05-01 11:17 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master

I was smart this morning and didn't give in to my urge to hike. It's SUPER windy and my knee was sore for a week after packing Mak last time. Race Sunday? Yes.

Monica- I sent coordinator a note last night asking if Max had missed his flight. She replied "No. Dogs delayed due to all dogs needing to leave at the same time."  lol   IDK  

2014-05-01 11:19 AM

User image

Denver, CO

OMG - Mary, those are freakin' hilarious!!!   Have you ever seen the YouTube videos of the first time dogs try to walk with booties on??  Tears rolling down my face every single time! 

Erin - how the heck did the flight mishap happen??  Was the coordinator supposed to pick him up from you and just didn't??  Weird.  Oh well, glad he's got some good people taking care of him until he does make his flight.   

We've actually used booties on our dogs.  Totally ridiculously funny.  So hard not to laugh at them (don't want to embarrass them) but it's the funniest thing ever to see them trying to walk without putting their feet down!! 

Kind of like when I tried to get my cat to wear a harness.  She's an indoor cat only who really yearns to be outside.  I was hoping to be able to take her outside on a leash.  First she wouldn't move at all, then she lurched around like she was drunk.  She ultimately ended up learning how to slip the harness so it's been relegated to the "failed attempts" box.  Oh well.  At least it was some good entertainment while it lasted.

2014-05-01 12:51 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I was smart this morning and didn't give in to my urge to hike. It's SUPER windy and my knee was sore for a week after packing Mak last time. Race Sunday? Yes.

Monica- I sent coordinator a note last night asking if Max had missed his flight. She replied "No. Dogs delayed due to all dogs needing to leave at the same time."  lol   IDK  

Um... okay??  That seems kinda weird to me, but whatever... I'd like to think she knows what she's doing?

2014-05-01 12:53 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

We've actually used booties on our dogs.  Totally ridiculously funny.  So hard not to laugh at them (don't want to embarrass them) but it's the funniest thing ever to see them trying to walk without putting their feet down!! 

Kind of like when I tried to get my cat to wear a harness.  She's an indoor cat only who really yearns to be outside.  I was hoping to be able to take her outside on a leash.  First she wouldn't move at all, then she lurched around like she was drunk.  She ultimately ended up learning how to slip the harness so it's been relegated to the "failed attempts" box.  Oh well.  At least it was some good entertainment while it lasted.

Hahaha!  Oh the poor things, they have to KNOW they look completely ridiculous - but OMG is it ever funny to witness!  

We've thought a LOT about getting harnesses for the kittehs to be able to take them out, it makes me sad to think that it's possible they've never, ever been outside since we have NO idea what they're previous living situation was.  However, I have no doubt that it would probably be a disaster in the making and if we're crazy enough to try it, we should buy shares in Band-Aid before any attempt is made.  

2014-05-01 3:19 PM

User image

Master

Um... okay??  That seems kinda weird to me, but whatever... I'd like to think she knows what she's doing?

I know! I even researched the nationwide rescue group she works with before getting involved. They ship dogs all over. It's not new to them. I think she's just a flake about communication...or she hopes he stays with us. sigh.

Flaky people are my irritation today. Had another lady pull a no show for meeting me. Hurried out of my swim and everything.  

2014-05-01 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I know! I even researched the nationwide rescue group she works with before getting involved. They ship dogs all over. It's not new to them. I think she's just a flake about communication...or she hopes he stays with us. sigh.

Flaky people are my irritation today. Had another lady pull a no show for meeting me. Hurried out of my swim and everything.  

I think you have a new dog.
2014-05-01 3:32 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by JJ- Thanks for the comments. Getting so excited

Dude, you are so going to rock this!!!!

2014-05-01 3:39 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

I PROMISED Jason no more permanent dogs. Like pinky, cross my heart, hope to die kind of promise.

2014-05-01 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I PROMISED Jason no more permanent dogs. Like pinky, cross my heart, hope to die kind of promise.

Pinky promises don't count when they are about dogs.

2014-05-01 4:04 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

To give the dog lady the benefit of the doubt, it could be that they're gathering dogs from a variety of places, including some that require travel to get to your area.  There may have been some hitch in getting other dogs there, like maybe some volunteer elsewhere flaked out or something.  Whenever there's something like that when scheduling relies on numerous volunteers being able to converge on one place can be a real headache with lots of potential for miscommunication and flakiness.  I'm sure the foster pup's new family is just as frustrated as you are!!

As for the woman who no-showed for your meeting, no excuse!!  Or maybe there is one.  Doesn't matter; you're certainly entitled to your annoyance!

2014-05-01 4:04 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Ack, double post.  Sorry!

Edited by laffinrock 2014-05-01 4:05 PM
2014-05-01 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hahaha!  Oh the poor things, they have to KNOW they look completely ridiculous - but OMG is it ever funny to witness!  

We've thought a LOT about getting harnesses for the kittehs to be able to take them out, it makes me sad to think that it's possible they've never, ever been outside since we have NO idea what they're previous living situation was.  However, I have no doubt that it would probably be a disaster in the making and if we're crazy enough to try it, we should buy shares in Band-Aid before any attempt is made.  

You all kept me quite entertained during court today with thoughts of doggies in boots (my dog hates them) and kitties in harnesses (never tried it, never will)

Well I went with the SPD-SL system. I installed them last night and practiced today on the drainer. I really like the feel of it. More.... solid I guess. I think I got the hang of clipping in and out. It's just a smidge different from the SPD so hopefully I'll be spared the slow-mo tip when I go on the road. Thanks for the input!

ETA: Fi looks GOOOOOOD with her new black pedals!

Edited by rrrunner 2014-05-01 4:22 PM
2014-05-01 4:23 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723 [QUdon't undOriginally posted by 4agoodlife

To give the dog lady the benefit of the doubt, it could be that they're gathering dogs from a variety of places, including some that require travel to get to your area.  There may have been some hitch in getting other dogs there, like maybe some volunteer elsewhere flaked out or something.  Whenever there's something like that when scheduling relies on numerous volunteers being able to converge on one place can be a real headache with lots of potential for miscommunication and flakiness.  I'm sure the foster pup's new family is just as frustrated as you are!!

As for the woman who no-showed for your meeting, no excuse!!  Or maybe there is one.  Doesn't matter; you're certainly entitled to your annoyance!

My irritation lies in the flakiness of communication. I understand things getting messed up. I don't understand not letting those who are helping know what is going on.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 64689 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28165 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16393 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100355 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.