BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-08-25 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2369706

User image

Expert
B'ham
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!

SSMinnow - 2009-08-25 11:16 AM

Hey, good catch...way to spank me back.  I saw the 180 and thought that was Steve's weight, not his watts.....my attention to detail sucks today.

No problem, just don't tell my wife

2009-08-25 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2369862

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-25 12:54 PM The guy that I mentioned who got hit by a car in the race on Saturday was one of the elite guys racing the OLY and was in the lead when it happened.   He cracked his seat post and a beat up seat. He got jacked pretty good but ended up getting back on his bike and finishing third.

Come to find out a bit ago another guy got hit to.  Thankfully he's ok too.   2 guys getting hit in a race.  hmmmm.

Wow you sure make it appealing to come on down to Texas for a Tri.
2009-08-25 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2369137

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
SSMinnow - 2009-08-25 11:31 AM
DougRob - 2009-08-25 8:12 AM
Plainsman AU - 2009-08-25 8:07 AM

I went for the run this morning.  Planned a 12 miler and was feeling GREAT thru about mile 9.  HR stayed in zone 2 and I was just cruising along...not fast at all, around 10 to 10.5.  About mile 9 my right knee started to feel really tight.  Not a sharp pain, but almost like a charlie horse feels in your leg.  I tried to stretch it etc, but as the next couple miles passed, I could hardly run on it.  I can't put a finger on it where it hurts, just kind of feels like my whole knee area but mostly on the outside.  Could that be ITB issues? 

I kept telling myself to HTFU so I could get a pat on the back from Chris and Trevor after their stellar HTFU efforts.  I thought my HTFU story was going to be when I took a right for 6 more miles instead of heading for the house since my left foot was starting to blister, but that seems to be the slightest of my problems now.

Maybe this should be a question for DR SUZY (the MG proclaimed kneedeatrition). 

There are HTFU moments and then there are moments when your body is trying to tell you something. Pain is usually the way it sends that message. It is foolish on a training run to ignore the pain messages. You did the right thing in trying to stretch it out. When that did not work the proper thing was to STOP. You risk serious injury when you ignore such pains. No "pat on the back" is worth sitting on the couch because you over did things. I am glad you made the wise choice.

Doug

I couldn't have said it better myself!  Personally, I am not much of a HTFU fan.  I think mental toughness is crucial to success in endurance sports, but running through pain is just plain stupid.

Is the pain on the side of the knee? or under the knee cap?  The side can be an ITB issue, but it usually starts at the TFL (this was a topic with Chris a couple of weeks ago).  Within the link, the TFL is at the insertion point at the top of the hip.  Get a tennis ball or TP Massage ball and place it there while on your side, if it hurts like crazy, it's a trigger point and is probably causing your knee issues...keep it there, breathe and repeat a few times.  Get a foam roller and make sure you go all the way down the ITB (not over your knee) and then all the way down the side of your calf.  Repeat the tennis ball in the glute area too.  If you read the article ITB syndrome is caused by a bunch of stuff including bad roads and weak butt muscles.  If the pain is under the knee cap, email me back because that is a totally different issue!

Dr. Suzy's advice is to stretch lightly before you start, 15 mins after you w/u and post effort. No stretch, lots of issues later!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what they said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't injure yourself by any means to push through anything.  I love HTFU when the mind tells us no, not when your body is.  When your body is telling you something, you need to listen.
2009-08-25 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2366861

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
TrevorC - 2009-08-24 10:28 AM Happy Monday all.....
I must be the only one in our group that breathes to the left. All you one directional breathers breathe to the right??? Are you all righthanded or something by chance??

I had a breakthrough moment this weekend...My 1/2 mary plan said to do a 5k race this weekend.Then an easy 6 or 7 miles the next day.....We were out at the cabin. I was feeling really lazy on Sat morning. Did not feel like running whatsoever. I started to think about wanting to keep on my plan and I actually laughed about the Barry/Chris HTFU moments from last week. So I ran the 5k and ended up PB'ing it!! Best was 27 flat prior, and I ran it in 26:32. I had a real mental breakthrough as I did not know if I could hold that pace, and I kept wanting to tell my body/legs to stop!!! But I pushed through it. I'm really starting to learn that my body can do more than my mind allows sometimes. I think my mind is what is limiting me sometimes, and I'm not sure how to bust out of it.... Not sure if its that former-fatty thing or what?? You guys experience that?? I'm thinking the Johns/Andys or the world may know what I'm saying.

I'm a left side breather too, and I'm right handed, so I must be really messed up   I breathe bilaterally and to the right after lots of working on it, but left is definitely most comfortable for me.  I've been reading "Going Long" by Joe Friel & Gordon Byrns. They talk about the importance of bilateral breathing in training for all the reasons you guys mentioned, but one side breathing for races because you need the more frequent breathes when you're working in higher HR zones. Great book by the way! I'm learning tons of stuff, and I thought I already knew it all.

I hear you on the mental game too. As a former fatty and completely non-athletic girl I struggle with the mental beliefs of my past a lot. Great job pushing past it!
2009-08-25 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2369137

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2009-08-25 10:31 AM
DougRob - 2009-08-25 8:12 AM
Plainsman AU - 2009-08-25 8:07 AM

I went for the run this morning.  Planned a 12 miler and was feeling GREAT thru about mile 9.  HR stayed in zone 2 and I was just cruising along...not fast at all, around 10 to 10.5.  About mile 9 my right knee started to feel really tight.  Not a sharp pain, but almost like a charlie horse feels in your leg.  I tried to stretch it etc, but as the next couple miles passed, I could hardly run on it.  I can't put a finger on it where it hurts, just kind of feels like my whole knee area but mostly on the outside.  Could that be ITB issues? 

I kept telling myself to HTFU so I could get a pat on the back from Chris and Trevor after their stellar HTFU efforts.  I thought my HTFU story was going to be when I took a right for 6 more miles instead of heading for the house since my left foot was starting to blister, but that seems to be the slightest of my problems now.

Maybe this should be a question for DR SUZY (the MG proclaimed kneedeatrition). 

There are HTFU moments and then there are moments when your body is trying to tell you something. Pain is usually the way it sends that message. It is foolish on a training run to ignore the pain messages. You did the right thing in trying to stretch it out. When that did not work the proper thing was to STOP. You risk serious injury when you ignore such pains. No "pat on the back" is worth sitting on the couch because you over did things. I am glad you made the wise choice.

Doug

I couldn't have said it better myself!  Personally, I am not much of a HTFU fan.  I think mental toughness is crucial to success in endurance sports, but running through pain is just plain stupid.

Is the pain on the side of the knee? or under the knee cap?  The side can be an ITB issue, but it usually starts at the TFL (this was a topic with Chris a couple of weeks ago).  Within the link, the TFL is at the insertion point at the top of the hip.  Get a tennis ball or TP Massage ball and place it there while on your side, if it hurts like crazy, it's a trigger point and is probably causing your knee issues...keep it there, breathe and repeat a few times.  Get a foam roller and make sure you go all the way down the ITB (not over your knee) and then all the way down the side of your calf.  Repeat the tennis ball in the glute area too.  If you read the article ITB syndrome is caused by a bunch of stuff including bad roads and weak butt muscles.  If the pain is under the knee cap, email me back because that is a totally different issue!

Dr. Suzy's advice is to stretch lightly before you start, 15 mins after you w/u and post effort. No stretch, lots of issues later!

Suzy... great diagnosis on the knee problem.  I think it is friction from my ITB rubbing on my femur.  So it doesn't sound like an "injury"...just an aggravation that I need to watch. Although when it flared up, it was almost de-bilitating.sp 

And for the record, I was talking myself into HTFU when I had a blister developing on my foot and I had a choice to take it on in for 2.5  miles or hang a right for 6.  When my knee started hurting, I was just trying to get home in one piece...the ego was out the door. 
2009-08-25 4:27 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
I finally got some time to catch up on BT now that I'm in Walla Walla for a few days. Just in time to fall behind, once again, when I head back to Kalispell on Thursday. It's all good though, because I've been spending lots of time with family and friends, which I don't get to do often enough. We're also going on a 5 day backpacking trip in Glacier National Park next week. I'm so excited! We've been wanting to do this trip for a few years now and it's finally coming together. My training will suffer a bit, but I'm OK with that when it comes to these kind of opportunities. Plus, it'll be a great crosstraining workout. : )

Congrats to all the racers over the weekend. Sounds like everyone did awesome!

Take care of yourself, Dannette. I hope you feel better soon!

Have fun at the adventure race, Steve!

Tracy- No advice here since I've never swam in the Ocean, but you've gotten some great advice from the group and you'll do great

Congrats on the wetsuits Rob and Jeremy! I ordered an Xterra Vector Pro fullsuit myself and got it last week... went for a swim in it last weekend here:

Stayed nice and warm in the mid 50's glacier fed lake (I did have booties and a neoprene cap) The water was amazing... crystal clear

2009-08-25 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Oh... and here's the link to the very late race report from the Whitefish tri on 8/16 if anyone is interested.
2009-08-25 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2370293

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
roni_runnw - 2009-08-25 5:27 PM I finally got some time to catch up on BT now that I'm in Walla Walla for a few days. Just in time to fall behind, once again, when I head back to Kalispell on Thursday. It's all good though, because I've been spending lots of time with family and friends, which I don't get to do often enough. We're also going on a 5 day backpacking trip in Glacier National Park next week. I'm so excited! We've been wanting to do this trip for a few years now and it's finally coming together. My training will suffer a bit, but I'm OK with that when it comes to these kind of opportunities. Plus, it'll be a great crosstraining workout. : )

Tracy- No advice here since I've never swam in the Ocean, but you've gotten some great advice from the group and you'll do great

Congrats on the wetsuits Rob and Jeremy! I ordered an Xterra Vector Pro fullsuit myself and got it last week... went for a swim in it last weekend here:

Stayed nice and warm in the mid 50's glacier fed lake (I did have booties and a neoprene cap) The water was amazing... crystal clear

Roni, that looks amazing!
2009-08-25 5:32 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Roni- That is right up my alley!!! I love the picture!  Have a great trip!  SO JEALOUS!
2009-08-25 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2370293

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

roni_runnw - 2009-08-25 4:27 PM I finally got some time to catch up on BT now that I'm in Walla Walla for a few days. Just in time to fall behind, once again, when I head back to Kalispell on Thursday. It's all good though, because I've been spending lots of time with family and friends, which I don't get to do often enough. We're also going on a 5 day backpacking trip in Glacier National Park next week. I'm so excited! We've been wanting to do this trip for a few years now and it's finally coming together. My training will suffer a bit, but I'm OK with that when it comes to these kind of opportunities. Plus, it'll be a great crosstraining workout. : )

I'm jealous!

2009-08-25 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2369379

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2009-08-25 12:44 PM Did another hour long TT today on the perscribed course from hell.  Do these ever get fun? I can do an hour long Tempo run and love it, but these plain SUCK!  I did see a 15W improvement versus last month so I guess  I am happy about that, but I dont really know how to assess the improvement.  Who does? Tony? Steve? Ryan? Chris? anyone?
Pardon me while I go throw up now Surprised.

15 watts is good Suzy, in the beginning you will see bigger gains as you get things dialed in, and then the incremental improvements won't be as big as they are now but still very important.

Sounds like you gave it your all on both TT's.  They aren't supposed to be really fun when you are trying to test your limits.  Though I do enjoy racing TT's which are pretty much the same thing.  I averaged Z4 for the entire TT this weekend.

2009-08-26 12:14 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Noob question:

I see posts about foam rollers and the stick and such items.  From the context them seem to be devices to improve blood flow to a muscle group to reduce soreness.  Does anyone in the MG use them?  If so, which one, how is it used and how effective is it?

2009-08-26 12:23 AM
in reply to: #2370905

User image

Elite
san francisco
ashort33 - 2009-08-25 10:14 PM

Noob question:

I see posts about foam rollers and the stick and such items.  From the context them seem to be devices to improve blood flow to a muscle group to reduce soreness.  Does anyone in the MG use them?  If so, which one, how is it used and how effective is it?

Andy, I use both the foam roller and the stick...they hurt like heck while you roll, but ah, not just reduced soreness, but pretty much have kept me from injury this past year (knock on wood).  I use the foam roller for my quads and glutes and even my calves.  The stick I use on my calves to keep the plantar fasciitis away.  For the stick, I was told to roll upwards.  Especially important to roll the part where the soleus meets the achilles tendon.  The foam roller is a bit harder to describe.  I don't have ITB issues but the outer quad should be rolled upwards.  It hurts like crazy if you are tight there.  Best investment of 10 dollars and 10 minutes you will ever make!
2009-08-26 5:38 AM
in reply to: #2370911

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kt65 - 2009-08-26 12:23 AM
ashort33 - 2009-08-25 10:14 PM

Noob question:

Andy, I use both the foam roller and the stick...they hurt like heck while you roll, but ah, not just reduced soreness, but pretty much have kept me from injury this past year (knock on wood).  I use the foam roller for my quads and glutes and even my calves.  The stick I use on my calves to keep the plantar fasciitis away.  For the stick, I was told to roll upwards.  Especially important to roll the part where the soleus meets the achilles tendon.  The foam roller is a bit harder to describe.  I don't have ITB issues but the outer quad should be rolled upwards.  It hurts like crazy if you are tight there.  Best investment of 10 dollars and 10 minutes you will ever make!

I am a HUGE fan of TP Massage products.  I also have their new roller which works well. Expensive, but work well and last forever.  I use the ball on trigger points and the quad and calf roller for soreness.  Neither provides the benefits of stretching though so you still have to do that as well. 
2009-08-26 7:00 AM

User image

Champion
ashort33 - 2009-08-26 1:14 AM

Noob question:

I have "The Stick"  I like it when I am sore, it hurts so good.
2009-08-26 7:16 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
ashort33 - 2009-08-26 1:14 AM

Noob question:

I use a roller for my IT Band issues.  I really helps relax the band and reduces the pain.  I usually only use it before I run even though every day would be better.  I also use it on my calves.  It helps massage them and increase blood flow.  100% believer.

2009-08-26 7:34 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-08-26 12:14 AM

Noob question:

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old that love to walk on my back.  Bed time and nap time are great because they love to drive their cars and and play dinosaurs on my back and legs to.  The only issue is I usually end up falling asleep before them. Then Jarrett comes in and I get in trouble. 

I just got a email from tripsports 15% off... you guys talk about the stick and all... maybe I'll buy one today.

2009-08-26 7:39 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
since i mentioned it.....

Save on triathlon gear at TriSports.com. For three days only, we're offering you 15% OFF* of nearly everything!  Place your order between now and midnight, Friday, August 28th and you'll save 15% off all regular and sale prices!

SAVE 15% THROUGH 8/28/2009
Use Coupon Code: AUG15-E

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-08-26 7:40 AM
2009-08-26 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2370911

User image

Master
Small Town
kt65 - 2009-08-26 1:23 AM

Best investment of 10 dollars and 10 minutes you will ever make!

What one do you have and where did you find it for $10?

Edited by JHagerman 2009-08-26 7:55 AM
2009-08-26 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2371105

User image

Elite
san francisco
JHagerman - 2009-08-26 5:55 AM
kt65 - 2009-08-26 1:23 AM

Best investment of 10 dollars and 10 minutes you will ever make!

What one do you have and where did you find it for $10?

I got mine at a local sporting goods shop called sports basement, but these are the standard types of foam rollers:
http://www.nefitco.com/foamroller18inch.html  
this size 6" x 18" is very versatile. 
The stick is the one John is talking about and I think I got mine at trisports with 15% coupon...it is great, Jeremy! 
2009-08-26 8:13 AM

User image

Champion
Anyone else in my boat of getting overwhelmed with all the things you want to do and how fast you want to do them?

I am in the middle of Marathon training.  It is coming up on cross season and I think I would like to do it but don't have a bike setup for it so I would need to go pick up a new one, plus when would I have the time to practice as it is a unique riding sport. 

Right now my swimming and riding are taking a huge hit due to the marathon training and actually being busy at work.

Oh yeah and I have a wife and kids that I would like to see from time to time.

LOL, I need an extra few days to the week to get in everything I want to do.

I have set some lofty goals for the rest of this year and next.  I want to go 5:30 at lonestar, I want to do a 40kTT sub 1 hr (that means almost 25mph for 40k) and I want to do MCM sub 4 hrs.

Just venting a bit, thanks : )

2009-08-26 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2371158

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2009-08-26 8:13 AM Anyone else in my boat of getting overwhelmed with all the things you want to do and how fast you want to do them?

I am in the middle of Marathon training.  It is coming up on cross season and I think I would like to do it but don't have a bike setup for it so I would need to go pick up a new one, plus when would I have the time to practice as it is a unique riding sport. 

Right now my swimming and riding are taking a huge hit due to the marathon training and actually being busy at work.

I have set some lofty goals for the rest of this year and next.  I want to go 5:30 at lonestar, I want to do a 40kTT sub 1 hr (that means almost 25mph for 40k) and I want to do MCM sub 4 hrs.

lol!  I was reading this then came back over here and read your post.  4th place at LP on 8-10 hours a week, FT job and father of 2. 

Whats really funny is I was reading Andrew Hodges blog just before this and he's commenting on the recent article in the WSJ about hiding fiber.  Then read Mike's and he's talking about eating fast food 1-3 times a week and pizza 1-3 times a week.  
2009-08-26 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I use the Marathon Stick and really like it.  It hurts while you use it but you only need a few minutes with it and the soreness is reduced the next day.  I've also been told the motion helps break up the fascia attachment on the muscles to allow them to expand and grow after the muscle damage caused by the exerciese.  (sorry, that is the Anatomy teacher sneaking out of me again   )  I use to do a great lab with raw chicken legs to demonstrate the different musles of the quads, hamstrings and calves.  Next time you are preparing dinner take a closer look.  Okay, I'll stop being gross now.

Tony,  I hear you.  I too have been focusing so much on my running that my other disciplines are suffering.  Plus having the family life and a spouse that trains as well is a lot to juggle.  But I look at in the positive light.  Exercise keeps me sane, off the couch, eating healthy and it sets a great example for my kids.  How many other 8 and 6 year olds know what a transistion is, the difference between a road bike and a tri bike, have their own pull buoy for swimming and want to watch the Tour de France and Kona?  BTW,  my 8 year old told me my new bike was HOT!  How cool is that?!?!  You'll make it work Tony and Sam.  You have a great life and your kids have a great example in the both of you! 
2009-08-26 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2371192

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-26 9:24 AM
dalessit - 2009-08-26 8:13 AM Anyone else in my boat of getting overwhelmed with all the things you want to do and how fast you want to do them?

lol!  I was reading this then came back over here and read your post.  4th place at LP on 8-10 hours a week, FT job and father of 2. 

Whats really funny is I was reading Andrew Hodges blog just before this and he's commenting on the recent article in the WSJ about hiding fiber.  Then read Mike's and he's talking about eating fast food 1-3 times a week and pizza 1-3 times a week.  

John, not to take away from the pros, but I think we (our MG and the rest of us "regular" triathletes) have it slightly harder.  I mean, racing is their JOB!!!! so they get to spend all day training.  We still have to hold down regular jobs and try to fit training into it.  Just think how much better we all could be if we could focus on training 8 hours a day instead of what ever it is we do for a living?  Of course to be honest, mentally I probably spend 8 hours a day thinking about training.....don't you?
2009-08-26 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2371241

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2009-08-26 8:40 AM
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-26 9:24 AM

John, not to take away from the pros, but I think we (our MG and the rest of us "regular" triathletes) have it slightly harder.  I mean, racing is their JOB!!!! so they get to spend all day training.  We still have to hold down regular jobs and try to fit training into it.  Just think how much better we all could be if we could focus on training 8 hours a day instead of what ever it is we do for a living?  Of course to be honest, mentally I probably spend 8 hours a day thinking about training.....don't you?

you didn't read that did you? 

edit.  since your grad work is in chemistry, you might enjoy reading Hodges blog... His JOB is an electrochemist (corrosion engineer) at NASA. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-08-26 8:51 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383