General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2012-08-06 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3550668

User image

Orlando
Subject: RE: Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread

Flying in on Wednesday morning. Can't wait to see all the triathletes in their swag around town on Wednesday and Thursday.  Shouldn't be too hard to pick anyone out. 

For any first-timers, enjoy the next few days as much as possible and really take in the experience. Its a special time.

2012-08-06 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4348980

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
MillMan221 - 2012-08-06 11:05 AM

a few questions for the gang:

1) do we know if finisher medals will be handed out @ finish line Saturday, as opposed to the Sunday "athlete celebration" day?  i think that Sunday will be focused on AG winners and kona slots plus  I can't envision logistics of making all finishers come back on Sunday to claim a medal.  Any thoughts?

2) bike pump -- do we know if there will be pumps avail in transition on race morning or are people bringing theirs?

3) leg hair or no leg hair? 

thanks

1) So far the Medals are given at the finish line at my last 4 or 5 IM's there is a "catcher" to help out each person crossing. They make sure you ain't gonna kick over and that you get a drink, turn in the chip, get one of those shinny blankets and make sure you gets your much deserved hardware. One thing i see at almost all these is a Medal laying down near the med tent or chairs .... put it on and wear it until you are safe at your hotel.

2) Look around see if there is one passing around - best bet is get in the pump line first thing it moves fast and I think we'll have tons of time in this one.

3) can't bring myself to do it.

2012-08-06 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4348980

User image

Master
MillMan221 - 2012-08-06 11:05 AM

a few questions for the gang:

1) do we know if finisher medals will be handed out @ finish line Saturday, as opposed to the Sunday "athlete celebration" day?  i think that Sunday will be focused on AG winners and kona slots plus  I can't envision logistics of making all finishers come back on Sunday to claim a medal.  Any thoughts?

2) bike pump -- do we know if there will be pumps avail in transition on race morning or are people bringing theirs?

3) leg hair or no leg hair? 

thanks

1. I think medals at the finish-that has been my experience.

2. I may bring a small hand pump, but usually trust the pump up from the previous day to be good enough.

3. Have been smooth for my last two. I wonder if Duane Reade has a special on razors for IM competitors now that they are a sponsor...

2012-08-07 3:49 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Got the bike all cleaned and lubed & disc cover installed yesterday -- I'll gather all my gear and get mostly packed today, although I won't head up for packet pick up until mid-day on Thursday.

I'm liking the sound of this forecast, but this one is a little less encouraging.... Definitely sounds like there's a front coming through toward the end of the week - fingers crossed that it gets through on Friday....

Anyone know how much rain it would take leading up to the race to affect water quality in the Hudson to a degree that it could impact the swim??
2012-08-07 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4350455

User image

Master

Unpacked my bike, set I up and rode it in Central park this morning before they let the cars in. Wheeeeeeeee.

2 loops and I averaged 19.4 mph. 

Nice and cool this morning.

2012-08-07 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4350563

User image

Orlando
eliwashere - 2012-08-07 8:44 AM

Unpacked my bike, set I up and rode it in Central park this morning before they let the cars in. Wheeeeeeeee.

2 loops and I averaged 19.4 mph. 

Nice and cool this morning.

How is it riding in Central Park?  I was planning to do this Thursday morning but I'm nervous about not knowing my way around and the terrain.  I was kind of just hoping to find a group of riders and follow them.  How many miles is a lap?

2012-08-07 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4350763

User image

New York, NY
Mirdban - 2012-08-07 10:16 AM

How is it riding in Central Park?  I was planning to do this Thursday morning but I'm nervous about not knowing my way around and the terrain.  I was kind of just hoping to find a group of riders and follow them.  How many miles is a lap?

Central Park's loop is 6 miles and runs counter clockwise. Keep to the right. You won't get lost. Just be alert and give space to all pedestrians and tourist bikers. You can't trust that they'll look both ways and two days before the Ironman is a dangerous time to make that mistake.

Personally, I wouldn't risk riding in Central Park on Thursday - not to mention it's stressful to navigate through traffic to get to Central Park.

On Friday, if you want to ride, go along the westside highway, which will take you through the run course, over the George Washington Bridge and to the transition area. It's safer, smarter, more enjoyable, gets you to where you need to go and will give you an idea of the race course.

2012-08-07 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4350890

On Friday, if you want to ride, go along the westside highway, which will take you through the run course, over the George Washington Bridge and to the transition area. It's safer, smarter, more enjoyable, gets you to where you need to go and will give you an idea of the race course.

Totally second that...  Getting up to the GWB is a little tricky, there are two ways, probably the easiest is to go north along the westside highway bike path (just stick as close to the water as you can), under the GWB, then up a steepish short hill to get to a pedestrian bridge over the Westside Highway (now called Henry Hudson, but it's the same road), which you go over.  Turn right at the end of the bridge, then immediate left up the hill.  At the top, turn right, go across a few lights and under the traffic leading on to the bridge, turn right and you're there (this strava ride does it:  http://app.strava.com/rides/11526450).

Once you're across the GWB, turn left and go down the hill to come round back underneath the bridge.  Welcome to the run course.  The transition area is Ross Dock, which is a couple of miles past the bridge.  Then when you ride back to the bridge you'll be doing the initial climb out of transition, which as far as I can tell from driving the course is the only steep bit aside from the hill we hit at 46 and 90ish miles.

2012-08-07 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

if you want to ride in central park go before 8am - seriously. the etiquette is to stay out of the two recreation lanes (cars not in the park at that hour) slower riders to the LEFT next to the rec lanes. there is a 5 mile or 6 mile loop. The 5 mile cuts out harlem hill (big downhill followed by short steep hill)

If I were racing saturday I would ride my trainer thursday

2012-08-07 5:10 PM

User image

Master

I think others have described Central Park well.

No Cars in Central Park from 7 PM to 7 AM and then from 10 AM to 3 PM. Park closed to all traffic (including cycles) 1-6 AM

Counter Clockwise.

Riding is good. Mostly rollers with little flat. Steepish hill at 110/northern end of the park.

Top speed is supposed to be 25. As someone else said, lots of people who don't know what they are doing.

Then again, between 6 and 7 is a great time to ride, or at least I think so.

2012-08-08 6:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY

local weather forecast here in nyc appears to be getting worse and not better (though temps look ideal).  We had severe storms last year before the 2011 NYC tri and the Hudson water was VERY choppy.

The obvious aside about the water, I am most concerned with the runoff from the Palisades onto the RUN course.  I havent been out there after a storm but i imagine that the course could be a complete mess with limbs down, mud, etc...then again, this is the city that panics in the face of 3 inches of snow, so things could change in a new york minute.

IMNYC may be the TOUGHEST mudder!

safe travels to you all coming from a distance and I hope you have an amazing race and stay here in New York.  see ya on course.

Dave, Bib#1338

Edited by Dlyon 2012-08-08 6:43 AM

2012-08-08 6:33 AM
in reply to: #4352463

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Dlyon - 2012-08-08 7:23 AM

local weather forecast here in nyc appears to be getting worse and not better (though temps look ideal).  We had severe storms last year before the 2011 NYC tri and the Hudson water was VERY choppy.

The obvious aside about the water, I am most concerened of the runoff from the Palisades onto the RUN course.  I havent been out there after a storm but i imagine that the course could be a complete mess with limbs down, mud, etc...then again, this is the city that panics in the face of 3 inches of snow, so things could change in a new york minute.

IMNYC may be the TOUGHEST mudder!

safe travels to you all coming from a distance and I hope you have an amazing race and stay here in New York.  see ya on course.

Dave, Bib#1338

Yeah - I'm a bit concerned about the possible affect of the predicted rain on the swim - both chop & water quality... Too bad we're not racing on Sunday - looks to be a better day. Maybe we'll get lucky and the storms will push through a little earlier.
2012-08-08 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4352463

User image

Master
New Jersey
Dlyon - 2012-08-08 7:23 AM

>

The obvious aside about the water, I am most concerned with the runoff from the Palisades onto the RUN course.  I havent been out there after a storm but i imagine that the course could be a complete mess with limbs down, mud, etc...

I ran the course a month or so ago during showers. The runoff onto the course was alot. Not the whole way...just in spots. But saw a couple of water falls coming down from the mountain (which, have to admit, were actually quite impressive) and then it would flow right across the road, so we were running through an inch or so of water.

My biggest concern with the rain actually is the bike. i suspect alot of relatively inexperienced riders on slick roads. And we haven't had those days this year where you have to do long rides in the rain.

Edited by runnerx 2012-08-08 7:52 AM
2012-08-08 7:56 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Actually....my biggest concern is getting the bike to transition on Friday during the "severe" t-storms. I planned to ride to the ferry. Will have to check the hourly weather and decide when best to bring it in.

Edited by runnerx 2012-08-08 7:56 AM
2012-08-08 7:57 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Made it to NYC safe and sound. 12 hour drive from Windsor Ontario Canada yesterday - arrived in NYC at 8:30 PM.

Not sure which is worse, a 12 hour drive or an 8 hour bike - guess I will find out on Saturday lol.

This is one crazy amazing place. I am going to look around a bit this morning and take a little run down to ferry terminal where we will be meeting Saturday morning.

I am staying at Candlwood Suites and looking for a suggestions on how I can find a safe place from here to have a little spin on the bike. My car is parked for the week I think so I can't or don't want to drive anywhere.

See you at athlete check in later today.

KC

2012-08-08 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4352587

User image

New York, NY
kcgolf - 2012-08-08 8:57 AM

I am staying at Candlwood Suites and looking for a suggestions on how I can find a safe place from here to have a little spin on the bike.

You're going to find the answer when you get to the pier or Ironman Village. Just ride along the Westside Highway on the bike/run path. It's flat, a bit scenic and, aside from a couple spots where traffic gets congested or people run/ride side by side, it's safe.

2012-08-08 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY

i dont mean to be alarmist and I'm nervous enough about this race as my first IM, but has anyone heard about the controlled dump of millions of gallons of chlorinated raw sewage in the Hudson due to a sewage main break this afternoon in Westchester?  pretty serious advisory that may affect the swim.  Hudson is tidal and flushes itself, but this is disturbing and add to that possible natural sewer overflow from heavy rain friday night and it's setting up for a very poor water quality that will likely be unhealthy.  Again, sorry to bring this to the thread if you havent seen it.    

article is on lohud.com ...i couldnt post the link.  story broke about 2 hours ago

Edited by Dlyon 2012-08-08 9:09 PM
2012-08-08 9:41 PM

Westchester County
2012-08-08 9:43 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
2012-08-08 9:46 PM

Westchester County

This is the article-  for those who don't know the area, the IM swim course is south of Croton Point Park. 

A sewage line break in Tarrytown prompted Westchester County officials Wednesday to issue an advisory to those using the Hudson River,  warning them to avoid contact with the water.

The advisory is in effect for all points south of Croton Point Park.

Several million gallons of chlorinated raw sewage were expected to flow into the river at points in Sleepy Hollow and Yonkers  during a controlled discharge, the Westchester County Department of Health said.

The discharge is taking place so that repairs can be made to the damaged line, which broke about 3 p.m. Wednesday near Leroy Avenue, officials said.

Heather McGill, a Health Department spokeswoman, said work crews were still excavating the site of the damaged line Wednesday evening and had not yet been able to assess how long repairs would take. She could not say when the advisory would be lifted.

As a precautionary step, the Health Department has begun alerting people who use the river to the potential danger such as those at local marinas and those in municipalities affected by the incident.

Particularly at risk are those who swim, kayak, windsurf, boat, bathe and others who have direct contact with the water during recreational activities, McGill said.

“Even though it’s chlorinated, we don’t want people out there in contact with the water,” McGill said. “You don’t want to ingest sewage, chlorinated or not.”

McGill said Westchester officials had notified the regional Department of Environmental Conservation office as well as officials in New York City and Rockland County to the incident.

Dr. Joan Facelle, commissioner of Health in Rockland, said that she had not been made aware of the advisory, which Westchester officials issued after business hours Wednesday.

Facelle said her office’s response to such incidents typically mirrors that of the Westchester Department of Health, but that she would need to meet with her team today before advising further.

2012-08-08 10:08 PM

User image

I don't understand how it could be possible for them to completely contaminate the river 2 days before a huge event like Ironman. Am I just being self absorbed or is there a complete lack of communication here? This is insane. How can they ask us to swim in sewage waste? Thats completely disgusting.

2012-08-08 10:26 PM
in reply to: #4354198

This happened a few days before the 2011 NYC triathlon.  I think it happened little closer to where that swim took place compared to this.  They tested the water and said it was within limits, But the people I ran with all had upset stomachs.  I don't think that was chlorinated ether, they didn't even realize it was leaking for a couple days...

I'm sure the race directors are aware of it and will be making sure its "within limits" if we swim.  But I'd still make a good effort to keep your mouth closed.

2012-08-08 10:39 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Sweet! Thunderstorms and poopy water. All these ferry rides seem like minor troubles with these new developments. See you guys tomorrow.
2012-08-08 10:49 PM
in reply to: #4354210

...the people I ran with all had upset stomachs.

Never having swum in sewage before (at least not that I'm aware of), how long do these symptoms take to arrive?  Like sick on the bike / run sick?  Or sick a couple of days after, when frankly I'll be feeling pretty lousy anyway, let's face it...

2012-08-09 3:57 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Holy cow....
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27