General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 148

2012-01-20 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4000800

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
klassman - 2012-01-20 12:03 AM
tasr - 2012-01-19 8:22 PM Well I can't let this silence go on.

How’s everybody’s training going?

I had a good day maybe a bit much for base………but that is me.

I think the best that can be said from here is that it is going.  I'm getting most of the workouts in but I don't notice that I'm getting stronger.  And, about once a week or so, I'm totally crashing by falling asleep in the wrong room or mid-sentence while reading stories to the kids.  I don't think my body is adapting yet.  It's early though...

Last year on the Intermediate Fink plan, it took me till early March before I felt fine/comfortable doing 10 hours a week, without any excess fatigue.  And then of course as soon as that happened, within a few weeks the volume built and I crashed with fatigue!! 

I've only done Ironman Training twice before, and from my short experience, I find for me it comes in waves.  I usually have a 2.5 to 3 week wave of lots of energy and I'm just amazed by the consistent volume I'm able to produce.  And then the fatigue hits (and sometimes it hits HARD!) but the fatigue for me usually only lasts 5 to 7 days.  And lots of times when I start training, I'll feel better.  And I'll be able to complete my workout just fine, but then I'm fatigued immediately after. 

When we get into the meat and potatoe months, May & June, I found that on many of the longer weekend workouts it took a good 40 to 50 minutes just to warm-up!!  It wasn't until an hour into my 5-hour long Bike session that I began to feel 'good'. 

But yeah, right now at the beginning of training I just feel mini waves of fatigue vs. lots of energy.  I suspect like last year though, the waves will continue to get bigger and bigger.    

2012-01-20 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4000997

User image

Major BC - 2012-01-20 7:59 AM Are any other first timers (IM) attempting self-training for this race (without a pre-written plan)?  I did make my own that I will follow but its only the weekend rides, runs and bricks for pace.  Some people have likened this to doing surgery on yourself but I insist on "feeling" my way through this.  Its helpful to hear how others are progressing.  Thanks.

The problem with "feeling" your way through training is when the big volume months hit, you're so close to the training you can't see the forest through the trees.  Not to mention it's tough to think straight cause you're so fatigued.  That's why a plan is invaluable cause all you have to do is focus on each day at a time, each training session at a time; and just focus your efforts on getting through the next pre-planned training session.  This is just based of my experience.

It's good that you have the weekend plans written out though.  Although what are those workouts based on? Did you just wing it?

This is like doing self-surgery ; and self-surgery is messy!!   

You can get a plan FOR FREE!!  Or for very cheap.  I have the Fink Intermediate plan on excel spreadsheet.  I'll email it to you. 

I 'felt my way through' the nutrition aspect of the race, and paid for it dearly.  I won't be making that mistake again.  Remember, we're training for an endurance event that starts at 6 AM and if we're lucky, we'll finish around 6 PM.  You want to be as well-prepared as possible.  A smart-focused training plan (like Fink or a BT Plan) that has worked for hundreds and thousands of other triathletes it's a smart move.  Trial and error...  errr ... not so much.   But I genuinely wish you luck!  It sounds like you are "insisting" on being stubborn and learning the hard way.  But I cannot fault you as I've learned far too many things that way. 

Edited by Dream Chaser 2012-01-20 2:17 PM
2012-01-20 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4001604

User image

SEADOCHA - 2012-01-20 12:20 PM I am taking some ideas from the Fitzgerald plan, but am mostly on my own. Training was going great until close to 2 weeks ago. I have no idea what happened but my knee really started bothering me. I think it's related to my IT band. The other day I went and had a sports massage and ultrasound with chiropractor adjustment. I'm desperate at this point and hoping I'll be back soon! I have been able to keep at it on the bike and have been swimming, but running has taken a back seat for a moment. I guess I'm okay with that since running is my strong point. I'm going to get some good riding in this weekend on the trainer, swim and get back to running next weekend hopefully. I have to be strong and refrain from  tempting myself to get outside this wknd for a run.

I had bad ITBS back in Oct/Nov 2008.  I religiously foam roll ever since and THANK GOD it's never come back.  The foam roller is your friend.  I also spend a few minutes every day stretching my hip flexors, glutes and hammy's.  The IT Band is attached to the tensor facsia latae (sp?)  which attaches into your hip flexor, which attaches to your glute and piriformis (your butt).  Look up IT Band stretches on youtube.com and just spend 10 mins a day doing them.  Often if any of these muscles are tight they will pull taut on the IT Band and cause it to rub on the outside of the knee bone, which is what causes the pain. 

Lay on your back, put a towel around the back underside of your knee (your knee pit if you will ), and pull it to the opposite shoulder.  You should feel a stretch in your glute.  Do both sides 2 to 3X.  Sit up, and cross your leg over your other other leg and stretch toward your toes.  Do this standing up too.  This stretched the IT Band and top of the hip.  After a few weeks of consistent stretches like this, you'll likely loosen up the myofascial material attached to the IT Band and it won't be so tight; thus it shouldn't rub.

Oh, and when you foam roll make sure to slowly bend your leg at the knee back and forth. 

Edited by Dream Chaser 2012-01-20 2:30 PM
2012-01-20 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4001996

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-20 3:10 PM

Major BC - 2012-01-20 7:59 AM Are any other first timers (IM) attempting self-training for this race (without a pre-written plan)?  I did make my own that I will follow but its only the weekend rides, runs and bricks for pace.  Some people have likened this to doing surgery on yourself but I insist on "feeling" my way through this.  Its helpful to hear how others are progressing.  Thanks.

The problem with "feeling" your way through training is when the big volume months hit, you're so close to the training you can't see the forest through the trees.  Not to mention it's tough to think straight cause you're so fatigued.  That's why a plan is invaluable cause all you have to do is focus on each day at a time, each training session at a time; and just focus your efforts on getting through the next pre-planned training session.  This is just based of my experience.

It's good that you have the weekend plans written out though.  Although what are those workouts based on? Did you just wing it?

You can get a plan FOR FREE!!  Or for very cheap.  I have the Fink Intermediate plan on excel spreadsheet.  I'll email it to you. 

I 'felt my way through' the nutrition aspect of the race, and paid for it dearly.  I won't be making that mistake again.  Remember, we're training for an endurance event that starts at 6 AM and if we're lucky, we'll finish around 6 PM.  You want to be as well-prepared as possible.  A smart-focused training plan (like Fink or a BT Plan) that has worked for hundreds and thousands of other triathletes it's a smart move.  Trial and error...  errr ... not so much.   But I genuinely wish you luck!  It sounds like you are "insisting" on being stubborn and learning the hard way.  But I cannot fault you as I've learned far too many things that way.

Thanks DC.  I have found the Fink intermediate plan in another thread earlier today.  Ive compared it to my weekend plan and see that I have way too many miles on mine.  I agree about the tree through the forrest analogy.  I will utilize the Fink plan.  I have already mapped my/our dates into it.  The Quassy week I flipped with the week before which already had a HIM in it so it should align nicely.  About the Fink plan; every swim is 1:00 and I didnt see any variety or interval training for swimming.  Is this right? 

2012-01-20 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4001604

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

Seadocha,

sorry to read about the knee pain.  early into my IM training 2 years ago I started having a lot of IT Band issues.  I started using an IT Band strap and was able train pain free and without interuption.  That simple little strap was a miracle for me.

2012-01-20 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4002047

User image

Major BC - 2012-01-20 3:29 PM
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-20 3:10 PM

Thanks DC.  I have found the Fink intermediate plan in another thread earlier today.  Ive compared it to my weekend plan and see that I have way too many miles on mine.  I agree about the tree through the forrest analogy.  I will utilize the Fink plan.  I have already mapped my/our dates into it.  The Quassy week I flipped with the week before which already had a HIM in it so it should align nicely.  About the Fink plan; every swim is 1:00 and I didnt see any variety or interval training for swimming.  Is this right? 

Hi Jim.  Smart choice deciding to use a plan!! I can totally respect and identify with you wanting to feel your way through training.  Heck, I only wore a $14.00 timex watch for Lake Placid last year.  No garmin, hr monitor, power tap, etc...  Why? Cause I just wanted to dial into how I felt, feel the flow of the race and enjoy the day without gizmos or gadgets.  And because I stayed within myself and kept an honest Zone 2 pace, I had a great swim and even split the bike.  However, I tried to 'feel my way' through the nutrition aspect and it backfired.  Badly.  I really don't like counting calories, and I feel like robot drinking a certain amount at certain times and eating a certain amount at certain times; but I've come to terms with the fact that that's exactly what I must do if I want to execute an Ironman race from start to finish and achieve my potential. 

In 70.3's  I can 'wing' my nutrition.  But only because it's a much shorter event.  An in Oly's and Sprints, a gel and maybe some sips of water are all the nutrition I need.  And just like I can 'wing' training for a Sprint, Oly or even a 70.3 & still have a succesfull race; the Ironman-distance takes no prisoners.  Just like the Marathon.  If you want to have a succesfull day at either event you must be prepared properly.  And the only way to do that is by following a training plan.  And the bast majority of athletes don't even follow a plan 100%.  But as long as you follow it to the best of your ability, and nail down at least 75 to 80% of it, you're going to be in decent shape for the race.  If you follow it 100% ; chances are (save a bike mechanical) you're likely to have a magical day.

But I know guys who haven't followed a plan, or followed less than 50% of the plan, and there Race Day day is always far-far from what there potential is, and often they blow-up. 

Oh, about the swim - now that I'm done rambling!   Fink's swim plans have lots of variation!!  And lots of intervals!!  I'm always doing 50's, 100's, 200's & 400's!!  He has a dozen plus different swim workouts and 80% of them have a Warm-Up/Main Set/ Cool Down.  And the intervals are in the Main Set.  The other 20% of his workouts are straight swims - which I think are crucial for the mental aspect of swimming an endurance distance. 

I am NOT affiliated with Fink at all.  I actually found him through the message boards, and every single person who used his plans was happy.  You can buy his 2nd edition book on Amazon for 15 books.  It's a great book and he has three plans in the book, with all the details.  I highly recommend the small investment as it will reap you a large return.

2012-01-20 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3637183

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY

My training is still moving along.  I haven't missed any of the Don Fink plan yet so I'm feeling good about that, (Though I know some dates coming up in Feb and March where I'm going to have to move stuff around because of being out of town).  So far I havent' had any fatigue problems which is making me kinda nervous (thinking I'm not going hard enough or long enough).  I know the hours of training are going to be going up so I'm preparing that this first base phase will get me through all of it in one piece. 

On a side note I think I'm going to be upgrading to a Tri bike,  Will I have enough time in the saddle to actually ride it at LP, especially if part of it is on the trainer during the winter months?

Now I find out that more family members are going to be making the trip up to see me.  What's today's date? How many more weeks do I have?  I'm think I'm having a panic attack already.  reminds me of a scene from a movie I once saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfrueeBmfXo

2012-01-20 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4002510

User image

Veteran
JMoney - 2012-01-20 6:49 PM

My training is still moving along.  I haven't missed any of the Don Fink plan yet so I'm feeling good about that, (Though I know some dates coming up in Feb and March where I'm going to have to move stuff around because of being out of town).  So far I havent' had any fatigue problems which is making me kinda nervous (thinking I'm not going hard enough or long enough).  I know the hours of training are going to be going up so I'm preparing that this first base phase will get me through all of it in one piece. 

On a side note I think I'm going to be upgrading to a Tri bike,  Will I have enough time in the saddle to actually ride it at LP, especially if part of it is on the trainer during the winter months?

Now I find out that more family members are going to be making the trip up to see me.  What's today's date? How many more weeks do I have?  I'm think I'm having a panic attack already.  reminds me of a scene from a movie I once saw.

26 weeks or 183 days!

2012-01-20 8:14 PM

User image

Regular
Akron

Sluggo and DC I purchased a foam roller this past week and yelped like hell at the beginning of the week. I def think it has helped tho. I was using the stick the previous week and I'm def not giving up. AFter the treatments the other day, resting, icing and extra stretching I'm having a great day even know it was a rest day.haha. Tmrw on the bike will be a test to see how it goes. I'm glad I got the massage and ultrasound though. Think it has def. helped. Thanks for the input on the band Sluggo. I was thinking about one of those next!

2012-01-20 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4002608

User image

SEADOCHA - 2012-01-20 9:14 PM

Sluggo and DC I purchased a foam roller this past week and yelped like hell at the beginning of the week. I def think it has helped tho. I was using the stick the previous week and I'm def not giving up. AFter the treatments the other day, resting, icing and extra stretching I'm having a great day even know it was a rest day.haha. Tmrw on the bike will be a test to see how it goes. I'm glad I got the massage and ultrasound though. Think it has def. helped. Thanks for the input on the band Sluggo. I was thinking about one of those next!

For me, the band only worked for about 40 to 45 minutes each run, and then the pain returned.

The more you do the foam roller, the less it will hurt.  I feel almost zero discomfort with it now.   

2012-01-20 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4002510

User image

JMoney - 2012-01-20 7:49 PM

You have plenty of time and a couple thosand miles of outside riding in April, May, June & July to acclimate to a tri bike.  PLENTY of time.  And something tells me 'Bob' wouldn't be able to finish a Sprint distance let alone an Ironman. 

2012-01-21 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4002608

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
SEADOCHA - 2012-01-20 9:14 PM

I run with both knees in slip on braces for anything over 10k. I've had 3X acl replacement on my left knee - all from skiing accidents. I stopped skiing btw. Stretching before, running with knees in braces, stretching and icing after is now my routine. Did a 3:44 marathon like this earlier last year, HIM, etc. The braces dont allow for swelling and keep all my knee junk together when running. The braces do cause chaffing but after time my legs grew accustom. For me, I have no choice. The pain running without them is too much. Not saying this is for you but if you have to add some confidence in your running don't be afraid to try. You'll see me in LP with my legs looking like a mummy on the run.
2012-01-21 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

Glad to hear everyone's training is going well.  Sorry to hear about the injuries/pains.  I'm in the same boat (heel bursitis/PF/?.....no one seems to know what it is....bummer).  Oh well, still moving along the plan (Fink ~ Competitive) well, just modifying the run for now.  Time will tell.

Talking about fatigue/exhaustion.  When I trained for my first IM, I likened it to being back in the toddler phase ~ I was hungry and fussy all the time and I took lots of naps

2012-01-21 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Did my 1:30 cycle today 30 mins at 70 RPM. I do not have a power meter will this help me prepare for Placid? HR was a Zone 2 HR
2012-01-21 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4003270

User image

Veteran
triguy1043 - 2012-01-21 1:04 PMDid my 1:30 cycle today 30 mins at 70 RPM. I do not have a power meter will this help me prepare for Placid? HR was a Zone 2 HR
Hey triguyPowermeter costs a lot of money! Buy I found this website that let's you track you watts. I'm not sure how accurate it is but for $10/month with the first 30 days free I think It's worth checking out. Im not affiliated with them I thought I'd pass this site to anyone interested. I'm also following finks plan and did my 1.5hrs today with the website. Today was my first day playing with it and I found it interesting. Interesting stuff kills my boredom. I figured I'll try it for a couple of rides and see what happens before they charge me. I also tried staying in zone 2 and found out about my watts in that zone. Check it out in YouTube Www.trainerroad.com
2012-01-21 5:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey guysCan somebody recommend a site for cleats positioning?My lower tibia is soreish after my 1.5hrs of bike riding and i believe its the cleats on my left shoe. Its actually starting from my left big toe to my arch to the lower tibia inner high ankle to mid tibia My fitter is away for awhile. Thanks

2012-01-21 5:30 PM

User image

triguy1043 - 2012-01-21 2:04 PMDid my 1:30 cycle today 30 mins at 70 RPM. I do not have a power meter will this help me prepare for Placid? HR was a Zone 2 HR
Probably not going to help. Instead you should've spent 90 minutes on the couch watching tv and eating a big bowl of ice cream! But seriously... I'm following Jorge's Winter Cycling Plan until first week of March. And then following my Iron Fit bike plan. I too don't have a power meter, so I'm using HR. What plan are you following? Do you have a HR monitor?
2012-01-21 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
triguy1043 - 2012-01-21 2:04 PM

Did my 1:30 cycle today 30 mins at 70 RPM. I do not have a power meter will this help me prepare for Placid? HR was a Zone 2 HR

I am not sure what part of your question you are referring to...and I'm not being a wise guy. If you mean by doing long zone 2 rides will that help your base for Placid, the answer is probably yes. If you are asking about the 30 mins at 70 RPM, the answer is no can really answer that. If you are cranking the tension and thinking that will simulate hills, well I guess maybe, but Placid hills are all about finding the right gear to spin up them. Riding at 70rpm in placid in a big gear is probably not a very good idea. IMHO spinning the hills is the only way to survive that course. I don't think spending time in the RPM will be of benefit, but that is just my opinion. Long elevated HR rides in zone 2 with parts in zone 3/4 are good as are long threshold intervals. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Monty 2012-01-21 6:15 PM
2012-01-21 6:21 PM

User image

Sh1t. Just realized I asked you about HR and you said Zone 2. We had our first snowfall here on Long Island and my kids had me outside half the day, so part of my brain must've froze.
2012-01-21 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

triguy1043 - 2012-01-21 1:04 PM Did my 1:30 cycle today 30 mins at 70 RPM. I do not have a power meter will this help me prepare for Placid? HR was a Zone 2 HR

I did my 1.5 hrs today on the trainer watching the Lake Placid course video with coach Troy.

For the most part, he stresses that you must be within yourself on the first loop and go steady but not too hard. He has you spinning the small chain ring and gear 15 during the flat parts-nice and easy holding a 90 cadence. (He also suggests that you take an easier gear if it is too hard). When going downhill, he ups the cadence to 100 or more-again using the small chain ring and the 15 or 18-to simulate the ease of the pedal stroke when going downhill.

For the early, short uphills, he changes to the big chain ring and gear 15-trying to hold a cadence in the 80's. This burns and is 'moderate' in intensity but is more realistic to actually climbing a hill in real life using the small chain ring and a higher gear like 23/5/7...

I haven't got to the long uphill yet...I'll let you know next week...

2012-01-21 7:47 PM

User image

Master
NJ
How's everyone's weekend going? I've got a long way to go but have gotten to that "foggy" feeling after long/hard workouts already a few times. Problem is, the workouts aren't too hard or long yet. Little bit at a time and consistency is key.  Happy training everyone

2012-01-21 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4003577

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Tdotnew2tri - 2012-01-21 6:16 PM Hey guysCan somebody recommend a site for cleats positioning?My lower tibia is soreish after my 1.5hrs of bike riding and i believe its the cleats on my left shoe. Its actually starting from my left big toe to my arch to the lower tibia inner high ankle to mid tibia My fitter is away for awhile. Thanks

Basic Bicycle Shoe Cleat Positioning
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/cleats.html 

Knee Pain and Bicycling
http://www.cptips.com/knee2.htm

You should have enough float in the cleat that that should happen. 

2012-01-21 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4003755

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

kristinc0916 - 2012-01-21 8:47 PM How's everyone's weekend going? I've got a long way to go but have gotten to that "foggy" feeling after long/hard workouts already a few times. Problem is, the workouts aren't too hard or long yet. Little bit at a time and consistency is key.  Happy training everyone

I had a great snow run today.

Don’t you get a lot of endorphins from training? 

2012-01-21 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4003669

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
dtoce - 2012-01-21 7:39 PM

triguy1043 - 2012-01-21 1:04 PM Did my 1:30 cycle today 30 mins at 70 RPM. I do not have a power meter will this help me prepare for Placid? HR was a Zone 2 HR

I did my 1.5 hrs today on the trainer watching the Lake Placid course video with coach Troy.

For the most part, he stresses that you must be within yourself on the first loop and go steady but not too hard. He has you spinning the small chain ring and gear 15 during the flat parts-nice and easy holding a 90 cadence. (He also suggests that you take an easier gear if it is too hard). When going downhill, he ups the cadence to 100 or more-again using the small chain ring and the 15 or 18-to simulate the ease of the pedal stroke when going downhill.

For the early, short uphills, he changes to the big chain ring and gear 15-trying to hold a cadence in the 80's. This burns and is 'moderate' in intensity but is more realistic to actually climbing a hill in real life using the small chain ring and a higher gear like 23/5/7...

I haven't got to the long uphill yet...I'll let you know next week...

Nice ride today!

That is what Bobby (Dream Chaser) has been saying awhile now.  Glad you heard in from somebody else. 

2012-01-21 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

So last week I hurt my right shoulder.  I did a swim set, then a strength session with a PT and he put me through a lot of upper body work.  For over a week now it's been sore.

I skipped my strength session and a swim this week (and didn't replace it with another workout since it is recovery week in my ironfit plan).  I'm headed to see a doc on Monday to check it out.  I've never really injured my shoulder before, but based on some research online, it seems to be rotator cuff pain/injury.  I put IcyHot pads on it a couple of times, not sure if that would be of any help.  It doesn't appear to bother me on bike/run.

Any thoughts on what to do for this kind of pain?

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 148