BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-19 5:48 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Good luck you guys. Please update when you can.

x2

Let us know how you do!

2013-05-19 5:53 AM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by carrie639

Do you know how Scott is feeling? How does one feel after a first other than elated and thrilled to be done. Physically, what should he expect?

Once you stop moving, you generally stiffen up pretty quickly but the adrenaline and caffeine make you incredibly bouncy. I find it really hard to sleep the night after an IM just because its almost impossible to wind down. Also as good as the post-IM shower feels there's usually chaffing you're not aware of the stings as soon as the water hits hit. There's also a chance you'll have GI / heat related issues. I spent the night after IM Louisville vomiting because of heat related issues (high of 103).

The next morning you're usually incredibly stiff. Your body is (and should be) pretty destroyed. Standing up and sitting down can be painful (using the battered quad muscles is not fun).

I've found the best thing to do post IM is to keep walking around (both that night after you finish and the next day). I try not to fly the day after an IM because the flight tends to make everything worse.
2013-05-19 5:54 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
2013-05-19 6:45 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Way to go Ironman Scott!!!

good luck to racers today
2013-05-19 12:43 PM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

Pro
CyFair
Thanks to everyone for following. It was a brutal and emotional day. One that I won't ever forget. So hot (101 heat index) and so many emergency vehicles everywhere. In the end I came across a great friend with 1.5+ left on the run and it was an all out sprint to the finish. My body is destroyed right now.

The finish line at midnight is magical by the way. There were points during the day I wanted to cry from pain, but the emotions from 11:30 on at night are insane. I'm glad I dragged my broken, tired a$$ out there.
2013-05-19 2:26 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Haymarket, VA
Full report to come later, but let me just say racing when you're not sick as a dog is so much better. Dropped 22 min off of my time from my last sprint where I was sick to this one. I did meet up with Larkin before the swim so we got to chat for a bit. Caught up with him after I finished as well. 1:22:33 was the finish time.

Swim was different. Decided to wear my tri top in the pool this time so I wasn't struggling to get it on over a wet body afterward. Definitely could feel the drag of it. Bike felt a whole lot better. I had put my Adamo Road saddle on myself prior to the race, and WOW if felt so much better than the stock saddle. Run was still a struggle. I really have to figure out what's going on with my right knee. As soon as I try to pick up the pace at all I get a pain directly behind the kneecap. I don't have any problems when I'm doing longer runs at any speed on the treadmill, so either it's the tri combo, or I need to get out on the road more.

Very happy with the results, and got to make a few new friends.

2013-05-19 4:08 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Veteran
Congrats Matt an Larkin on prs. And Scott, again congrats. Amazing the way you gutted through it. It was fun to follow you.

9 something mile run today at z1 and z2 pace. Finished up with around 7:30 pace. Felt like I could keep going. Very pleased.

My next race is in 3 weeks and it is my 1st ows. So i decided to an ows today for practice but it was cut short. I got lost trying to find the lake . Bought neoprene cap, socks and gloves in anticipation of the upper 40s and low 50s temp. Needed the cap but not the others. In short, it sucked. I think I'm gonna die in 3 weeks. I found it hard to breathe. I don't know if it was the cold, the wet suit, or anxiety. I can get used to the cold and wet suit but anxiety? I mean I swam abreast to the shore with no one around. What's gonna happen in a wave start? Perhaps the one saving grace is that I swam at a decent pace and did not feel like I was sprinting. I tried to slow down, make note of the fish I saw, but invariably thought to myself wtf is going on. Feeling discouraged and I think this swim thing has gotten in my head.
2013-05-19 4:58 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Congrats Matt an Larkin on prs. And Scott, again congrats. Amazing the way you gutted through it. It was fun to follow you.

9 something mile run today at z1 and z2 pace. Finished up with around 7:30 pace. Felt like I could keep going. Very pleased.

My next race is in 3 weeks and it is my 1st ows. So i decided to an ows today for practice but it was cut short. I got lost trying to find the lake . Bought neoprene cap, socks and gloves in anticipation of the upper 40s and low 50s temp. Needed the cap but not the others. In short, it sucked. I think I'm gonna die in 3 weeks. I found it hard to breathe. I don't know if it was the cold, the wet suit, or anxiety. I can get used to the cold and wet suit but anxiety? I mean I swam abreast to the shore with no one around. What's gonna happen in a wave start? Perhaps the one saving grace is that I swam at a decent pace and did not feel like I was sprinting. I tried to slow down, make note of the fish I saw, but invariably thought to myself wtf is going on. Feeling discouraged and I think this swim thing has gotten in my head.

The cold water can make it very hard to breathe -- upper 40s / lower 50s is VERY cold water. In fact, USAT's recommendation is that swims are cancelled if the water temperature is below 55 degrees.

In some ways the wave start / swimming in a race is easier than swimming alone in open water. There are other people and there are life guards, kayaks and buoys. If you start towards the back of your wave, you won't have any issue with colliding with other swimmers.

There are a few things I would recommend to help with the anxiety issues:

1. Use the wetsuit in the pool to get used to it. Don't swim for a super long time (you'll over heat) but swim long enough (and enough times) to feel comfortable in your wetsuit.

2. Swim in the open water as much as possible. Like anything, the more you do it, the easier it gets. Also try to swim with other people. You may feel more relaxed when you have other swimmers around (I know this is a big one that help's Shaun deal with swim anxiety).

3. Practice your personal race plan for the OWS. For example, Swim ten strokes of freestyle, then one stroke of heads up freestyle to site, then repeat. Counting and repeating patterns helps to take your mind off of other things.

4. Have a plan if you have an issue with anxiety / panic attack. The best thing to do if you feel a panic attack coming on is to move away from other swimmers, roll on your back, focus on breathing and bring your HR down. It is completely fine to hold onto a kayak, buoy or other object during the course of the swim. You will not be DQed for this (so long as you don't allow the kayak to tow you forward).

Shaun has had some swim anxiety issues (especially once he moved to CT and the water was clear). I'm going to ask him to weigh in as well.

2013-05-19 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Be interesting so read through your race report since you are the first of the group to do an Ironman since we all met a few years ago! I am excited to read about the whole day, emotions, pain in all. I have heard the first is the most horrific and most experinence.
2013-05-19 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Congrats Larkin nd Matt!
2013-05-19 8:33 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Regular
Thanks everyone for being so encouraging. I'm really pleased with how the Columbia Triathlon went today. What a difference a little experience makes! My overall time was 2:51, which is actually four minutes slower than my time two weeks ago, but that course was two miles shorter on the bike and this course was MUCH hillier on both the bike and the run, so I view it as a victory. I was two-plus minutes faster today in the swim than two weeks ago and a minute and half faster in the run, despite all the additional hills today. (Lost time on the bike - 1:21 today vs. 1:13 two weeks ago.) The two biggest problems I had in Charlottesville two weeks ago - having a hard time breathing during the swim and having a terrible bike hangover when I started the run - didn't happen today at all.

I've still got a long way to go before I'm good at this sport, but I feel like I made a lot of progress today. I had a really fun time and am very pleased with my result. Full race report is here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

My next triathlon isn't until September, so this week I'm going to take stock and plan training for the summer. Looking forward to it!

2013-05-19 8:43 PM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Haymarket, VA
Originally posted by Kuma

Thanks everyone for being so encouraging. I'm really pleased with how the Columbia Triathlon went today. What a difference a little experience makes! My overall time was 2:51, which is actually four minutes slower than my time two weeks ago, but that course was two miles shorter on the bike and this course was MUCH hillier on both the bike and the run, so I view it as a victory. I was two-plus minutes faster today in the swim than two weeks ago and a minute and half faster in the run, despite all the additional hills today. (Lost time on the bike - 1:21 today vs. 1:13 two weeks ago.) The two biggest problems I had in Charlottesville two weeks ago - having a hard time breathing during the swim and having a terrible bike hangover when I started the run - didn't happen today at all.

I've still got a long way to go before I'm good at this sport, but I feel like I made a lot of progress today. I had a really fun time and am very pleased with my result. Full race report is here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

My next triathlon isn't until September, so this week I'm going to take stock and plan training for the summer. Looking forward to it!

Way to go Matt!
2013-05-19 9:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Originally posted by CubeFarmGopher

Originally posted by tdl1972

Question about saddles:

How much discomfort should I just HTFU and deal with and at what point should I look for something else? I rode the stock saddle for a couple of months, couldn't get comfortable on it, and switched to a Cobb vflow. I've been riding that for 2-3 months now and it's still not comfortable for me (i.e. it's killing the area where my left leg meets my pelvis to the point where it's still sore to the touch a full day later). Seat discomfort seems to be my biggest limiter on riding time/distance at this point and I can't imagine another 3-4 hours of the discomfort I was feeling toward the end of my ride last night. Do I just need more T.I.T.S.?

Can you post a pic of your current setup?

Asymmetrical pressure can be caused by several different reasons: your seat might be cocked just a hair to the side, you might have an imbalance in leg length or flexibility (especially common if you keep a wallet in your back pocket), you might have a cleat alignment issue causing your left knee to angle inward or your saddle tilt could be off.

The cobb is a very reliable saddle so I think, if we can just figure out the cause of the imbalance, you'll be much happier.

eta ... I am so lost on this new site. Let me know if there is any other info that might help.

To answer an earlier question, I have been fitted twice. Once when I bought the bike, then again after a couple of months of settling in on it and after getting the Cobb. The second fit was a great improvement over the first, now I'm just trying to solve this last issue.

Edited by tdl1972 2013-05-19 9:46 PM

(side view.jpg)

(front view.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
side view.jpg (36KB - 12 downloads)
front view.jpg (27KB - 18 downloads)
2013-05-19 9:37 PM

User image

New user

Montgomery County
Wow congrats to everyone who raced this weekend!! Race reports look great!

I have sort of been on injured reserve the past few days. I can't swim because the cut on my hand from the bike accident got infected . And I am sore and covered in bruises from the Warrior Dash on Saturday. I hope to get in a short run or bike tomorrow and see how much my body can handle. Still have to get my bike checked out for unseen damage. I think I just mainly need motivation to get back out there.
2013-05-20 5:04 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Great job!
2013-05-20 5:05 AM
in reply to: collyd123

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by collyd123

Wow congrats to everyone who raced this weekend!! Race reports look great!

I have sort of been on injured reserve the past few days. I can't swim because the cut on my hand from the bike accident got infected . And I am sore and covered in bruises from the Warrior Dash on Saturday. I hope to get in a short run or bike tomorrow and see how much my body can handle. Still have to get my bike checked out for unseen damage. I think I just mainly need motivation to get back out there.

Just be careful getting back into things. The last thing you want to do is take a small injury and make it bigger. Slow and steady!

2013-05-20 5:16 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Champion

Originally posted by CubeFarmGopher

Question about saddles:

How much discomfort should I just HTFU and deal with and at what point should I look for something else? I rode the stock saddle for a couple of months, couldn't get comfortable on it, and switched to a Cobb vflow. I've been riding that for 2-3 months now and it's still not comfortable for me (i.e. it's killing the area where my left leg meets my pelvis to the point where it's still sore to the touch a full day later). Seat discomfort seems to be my biggest limiter on riding time/distance at this point and I can't imagine another 3-4 hours of the discomfort I was feeling toward the end of my ride last night. Do I just need more T.I.T.S.?

Can you post a pic of your current setup?

Asymmetrical pressure can be caused by several different reasons: your seat might be cocked just a hair to the side, you might have an imbalance in leg length or flexibility (especially common if you keep a wallet in your back pocket), you might have a cleat alignment issue causing your left knee to angle inward or your saddle tilt could be off.

The cobb is a very reliable saddle so I think, if we can just figure out the cause of the imbalance, you'll be much happier.

eta ... I am so lost on this new site. Let me know if there is any other info that might help.

To answer an earlier question, I have been fitted twice. Once when I bought the bike, then again after a couple of months of settling in on it and after getting the Cobb. The second fit was a great improvement over the first, now I'm just trying to solve this last issue.

The good thing is that we can rule out a lateral alignment issue of the saddle. Since you've had a macro-level bike fit twice, I'm also going to assume that the saddle height is appropriate for your general leg length.

Unfortunately, those are also the two easiest things to fix. Now we are into identifying small alignment issues like cleat alignment and lateral pelvic tilt.

Cleat alignment is probably going to be the easiest to address.

Can you get a frontal video of you riding the trainer? What I'm primarily looking for is your knee tracking through-out the length of your pedal stroke and does your knee fold inward or outward.

When you are riding, do you have a sense for the balance of your pedal stroke? Are you primarily pushing with your lead foot down on the pedal, or are you evenly pulling up with your trailing foot on the pedal?

2013-05-20 6:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mleech77

Full report to come later, but let me just say racing when you're not sick as a dog is so much better. Dropped 22 min off of my time from my last sprint where I was sick to this one. I did meet up with Larkin before the swim so we got to chat for a bit. Caught up with him after I finished as well. 1:22:33 was the finish time.

Swim was different. Decided to wear my tri top in the pool this time so I wasn't struggling to get it on over a wet body afterward. Definitely could feel the drag of it. Bike felt a whole lot better. I had put my Adamo Road saddle on myself prior to the race, and WOW if felt so much better than the stock saddle. Run was still a struggle. I really have to figure out what's going on with my right knee. As soon as I try to pick up the pace at all I get a pain directly behind the kneecap. I don't have any problems when I'm doing longer runs at any speed on the treadmill, so either it's the tri combo, or I need to get out on the road more.

Congratulations! Dropping 22 minutes off your last time is fantastic!

2013-05-20 6:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congratulations!!!! It sounds like you're building some confidence. Great race report!
2013-05-20 6:40 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Haymarket, VA
Originally posted by jarvy01

Originally posted by mleech77

Congratulations! Dropping 22 minutes off your last time is fantastic!

Thanks. I don't expect more drastic drops like that in the future. I was going from being sick as a dog to being healthy, and the bike was one mile shorter, but this one felt so much better.
2013-05-20 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Congrats to everybody.

I did something I hate doing this morning but make it a point to do it once in a while in case it happens on race day, which it has. I rode in the rain. It just never fails that some drive puts the fear of god into me and today was no exception. It was a recovery pace ride so I had no issues taking it slow but on the one downhill of any consequence a guy pulled up to the stop sign never really stopping and looked right quickly and then back left which is where I was coming from. He had his window down a few inches and I was screaming don't do it repeatedly and he jacked on his breaks and waved an apology. I had anticipated somebody could do just that so I was off the bars and on the horns and I wouldn't have wrecked but my HR certainly went up a few beats. Having raced in the rain...........it blows.

Short swim and run as well.

Hey Scott now that you're done with your IM............what's next?

2013-05-20 9:51 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Haymarket, VA
Originally posted by everlong

Congrats to everybody.

I did something I hate doing this morning but make it a point to do it once in a while in case it happens on race day, which it has. I rode in the rain. It just never fails that some drive puts the fear of god into me and today was no exception. It was a recovery pace ride so I had no issues taking it slow but on the one downhill of any consequence a guy pulled up to the stop sign never really stopping and looked right quickly and then back left which is where I was coming from. He had his window down a few inches and I was screaming don't do it repeatedly and he jacked on his breaks and waved an apology. I had anticipated somebody could do just that so I was off the bars and on the horns and I wouldn't have wrecked but my HR certainly went up a few beats. Having raced in the rain...........it blows.

Short swim and run as well.

Way to be heads up and aware.
2013-05-20 11:09 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
CyFair

See how fast I can get at halves. For the sake of my marriage really. Although I must admit yesterday the thought of another IM started rolling around in my head. Maybe somewhere that the heat index will be below 100 though.

On a related note I was asked by several people if I was upset with my time. I honestly thought that breaking 12 was realistic and good execution would put me closer to 11. That said I'm very pleased with how I did Saturday and today this validates it.

http://www.runtri.com/2013/05/ironman-texas-2013-results-analysis.h...
2013-05-20 11:36 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Congrats to everyone on their great races! Sorry I didn't get to meet anyone at the PowerSprint Tri in Richmond...I was chasing around hubby with a camera for the race. (It was his 2nd tri - the first one I did with him, so no pix...)

We had a busy weekend with the kids' tri on Saturday and his tri on Sunday. It was weird - usually I'm the one racing, so I was a little wistful on Sunday morning. But I got over it.

I have my 2nd swim lesson tonight. I've been working on the long glide, but I have SO far to go. I did a timed 1700 yesterday and ended up averaging 2:45/100m - AWFUL. Worse than the 2:30 I usually average over shorter timed distances. I realize I will make the cutoff for the HIM at that pace, but that's not what I want. I want to be in and on my bike well before the cutoff. Oh well - I know I've just started lessons so I shouldn't be antsy, but I am.

Finally, I saw a Sonic Endurance trisuit at the race on Sunday - very pretty!
2013-05-20 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by uhcoog

See how fast I can get at halves. For the sake of my marriage really. Although I must admit yesterday the thought of another IM started rolling around in my head. Maybe somewhere that the heat index will be below 100 though.

On a related note I was asked by several people if I was upset with my time. I honestly thought that breaking 12 was realistic and good execution would put me closer to 11. That said I'm very pleased with how I did Saturday and today this validates it.

http://www.runtri.com/2013/05/ironman-texas-2013-results-analysis.h...

I had no idea about the heat until after the fact when I posted that a 4 hour marathon would put you at 11.5 but with that heat all bets were off. I'd be totally psyched with your time given those conditions

When I finally talk the wife into one it's definitely going to be one where the temps aren't like that. If I go outside the brand I'm 99% sure it'll be beach to battleship. If I go IM then AZ, FL, LP and Los Cabos would be the favorites.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86