BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-11 2:33 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'd also like some wins on the running front (more figurative than literal) as I feel I have been bumping along the bottom. So, hopefully those will come this fall/winter. 

If you are bumping along the bottom, I can't imagine what you think of the rest of us!

I *am* the bottom. Always manage to make an azz of myself ...

2014-08-11 2:35 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by IronOx

I'm hiding cause I haven't written my RR yet...but my goals are to have a fitness assessment done to address muscle imbalances and then strength train to fix 'em.  And I am still chasing a sub 2 HM.  Pending this tendinitis, that will hopefully happen in November.  

I like everyone elses goals so far.  Mary, 6 days a week becomes second nature in a very short period of time  

ETA: Oh.  and the IM next year has moved from Boulder/Mt. T to Copenhagen.... 

Woo hoo!  IM Copenhagen sounds like so much fun!  I hear that the support on the run is fantastic!

I have been strongly encouraged to keep my triathlons in North America.  DH says that running events on other continents are OK though.

I was discussing my Boulder/IMAZ conundrum with the owner of the Tri shop on Saturday (pre funk) and he mentioned Woodlands. I think the only way I am going to get DH to TX is if my step-brother moves there and Houston is a long way from the Woodlands!

Ummm.  Check the map on that one.

2014-08-11 2:36 PM

User image

Denver, CO

It's good to have plans and goals and such.  If you didn't you would never get anything done!  L will be  a great help for sure and I'm sure that DH will be as well.

Chilly Cheeks sounds fun!  How will that fit in with HM training?  I definitely think that it *can* fit in, just want to make sure that you think it through from the outset :-)

The run club sounds like fun.  I've kind of wanted to do that as well but the run clubs in my area overlap with masters and/or my group rides!

That's a good point.  I honestly have no idea.  I haven't thought that far ahead yet.  I was going to start putting together the winter training plan come Oct. when I'm done with my tris for the season.  I was naively thinking that since I can already run 1/2 that distance now, I'd be fine.

2014-08-11 2:39 PM

User image

Master

I'm hiding cause I haven't written my RR yet...but my goals are to have a fitness assessment done to address muscle imbalances and then strength train to fix 'em.  And I am still chasing a sub 2 HM.  Pending this tendinitis, that will hopefully happen in November.  

I like everyone elses goals so far.  Mary, 6 days a week becomes second nature in a very short period of time  

Woo hoo!  IM Copenhagen sounds like so much fun!  I hear that the support on the run is fantastic!

I have been strongly encouraged to keep my triathlons in North America.  DH says that running events on other continents are OK though.

I was discussing my Boulder/IMAZ conundrum with the owner of the Tri shop on Saturday (pre funk) and he mentioned Woodlands. I think the only way I am going to get DH to TX is if my step-brother moves there and Houston is a long way from the Woodlands!

Wow, yeah.  You might have to get a connecting flight.

(Y'all may have been happier when I was hiding...)

2014-08-11 2:40 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

It's good to have plans and goals and such.  If you didn't you would never get anything done!  L will be  a great help for sure and I'm sure that DH will be as well.

Chilly Cheeks sounds fun!  How will that fit in with HM training?  I definitely think that it *can* fit in, just want to make sure that you think it through from the outset :-)

The run club sounds like fun.  I've kind of wanted to do that as well but the run clubs in my area overlap with masters and/or my group rides!

That's a good point.  I honestly have no idea.  I haven't thought that far ahead yet.  I was going to start putting together the winter training plan come Oct. when I'm done with my tris for the season.  I was naively thinking that since I can already run 1/2 that distance now, I'd be fine.

You will be fine!  I was just thinking that the HM would be your A race for the spring (Oly for the fall) and that you'd be a bit more run focused.  I wasn't poking holes so much as trying to get you to think about the plan from the outset rather than getting to the meatier part of the half marathon training cycle and whoops!

2014-08-11 2:43 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Denver, CO

Has the Octoberfest tri sold out?

Nope.  There are 163 spots left.  Yesterday there were 172 or something like that so it's filling up.  Still thinking about doing it despite the price?

Yeah, I told DH I was going to ask you about it again. Does it at least have a good festival at the finish? Or a ticket to an Oktoberfest in town somewhere?

In other words, is beer involved? 

Don't know, but it's probably a pretty safe bet.  It's illegal to use "Oktoberfest" in the name without providing beer, isn't it?   If there is, you can have mine.  I can't stand the stuff.  Hard cider, on the other hand....

That's it.  You are out of the pod! 

Hey now!!  That means more for the rest of you!!  What's wrong with that?!

Sadly, I can't drink wine either - makes me feel hung over immediately, which is SO not worth it.  Guess that means I get to be the Manatee Taxi unless there's Strongbow involved.  Then I'm in on the party with the rest of you and somebody else has to drive.

2014-08-11 2:44 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

I'd also like some wins on the running front (more figurative than literal) as I feel I have been bumping along the bottom. So, hopefully those will come this fall/winter. 

If you are bumping along the bottom, I can't imagine what you think of the rest of us!

I *am* the bottom. Always manage to make an azz of myself ...

Well, at least you're a HAWT azz.

2014-08-11 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Huh, lookey there. I was thinking it was closer to DFW

2014-08-11 2:48 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Seattle

ETA: Oh.  and the IM next year has moved from Boulder/Mt. T to Copenhagen...

RAD!

Happy to see you are addressing the imbalances. That will absolutely be key to that sub 2. You got it! 

2014-08-11 2:48 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Aw, you don't want to go to TX.  People get HURT in TX.  Just look at Monica and Matt.  Boulder would be much better, I think.  Not that I have any personal bias or anything.

2014-08-11 2:49 PM

User image

Seattle

That being said, maybe it would be good for all of us Manatees to discuss our goals and plans. I know I really need to figure my sh*t out and it would be nice to have some group support! 

Good call! Right now my focus is still RnR Denver in October. I really wanted to do the HM

An IM for 2015 is still on my mind but with the emo fit yesterday I'm just not sure what to think...

I have my 1st tri next Sunday, a little 5k on 8/23, then another sprint tri on Sept. 21.  I'm planning to do a run/bike series (the "Chilly Cheeks") in Dec., Jan., and Feb., each 4 mi. run and 10 mi. bike in a variety of configurations and regardless of the weather.  I'm also seriously considering the Zion HM in March and maybe a 56 flight stair climb in Feb.  Next summer, I'm going to do 2 sprints and an Oly.  Haven't figured out which ones yet other than the Boulder Sunrise in June.

As for goals, I really need to strengthen my L hip, which is still weak as a result of 2 surgeries.  Doing that will definitely help with swimming and cycling.  I also want to do some Pilates to increase core strength, and increase distance and speed in all 3 disciplines.  I'm going to join a running club in Oct. and start going to a semi-coached swim conditioning class sometime in there for the distance/speed goals.

As I write all this out, it looks really ambitious, at least for me.  I feel like I'll need to do something 6 day a week all winter to accomplish everything.  Not sure I can manage all that, but between a motivated friend and DH, who wants to get more active again, I'm hoping I can do it.  We'll see....

That's a good callout, Janyne. 

I think non-specific detours are totally fine but should be thoughtful about them within an overall plan. 

2014-08-11 2:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melon Presser

Three things, further enumerated.

1. Goals ... 1. Keep Mutti and myself alive today (check). 2. Both of us had a bite to eat today (check) 3. Keep the roof on over our heads (well, mostly ... there was a really big storm ... )

2. Had to do a mall run to pay for Germany tickets (couldn't send a rep. B/C huge discount for certain bank cardholders, had to show up in person). I'm getting 3 of us to Germany and back on business class (flat bed seats on a GREAT airline), via shortest/most direct route available, for ... wait for it ... no really ... $9200.* QUADRUPLE Sky miles on our program. I know. I'm awesome. I did this all by myself with a little search-fu-fighting.

3. Whilst in the mall I happened to pass by Planet Sports aka Crackhouse ... and like a true addict ... but wait! there's more! For $192, I got:

- 2 Timex watches with tap screen and 16 interval timers (plus all the other normal hoo-rah ... WTF

our electricity just went out

crap gotta go get the generator going. Who'm I, MacGyver?! Sheesh!

I gotta finish this list.

- 1 pair of bright red 'n' yellow Crocs

- 5 neon-colored dry-tech tops, one of which has pockets (it's like the world's lightest cycling jersey)

- 2 Speedo Endurance swimsuits (polyester)

Gotta go get the machine rollin'. It's nearly 3am. WOOHOO

*ETA this includes a Euro commuter airline hop (with generous baggage!) since our end destination is Hamburg, not a major hub like Frankfurt or Amsterdam.

ETA2 ... oh good the electricity is back on ... just before I needed to douse someone in the gasoline we didn't buy for the generator and light it. Also before Mutti woke up (she's sensitive to light, very, mainly because she's deaf) and panicked. There's a torch right next to her bedside lamp but she wouldn't remember it's there whereas the same lamp has been in the same place for 25 years.

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2014-08-11 2:58 PM
2014-08-11 2:55 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Aw, you don't want to go to TX.  People get HURT in TX.  Just look at Monica and Matt.  Boulder would be much better, I think.  Not that I have any personal bias or anything.

Ha! When DH and I were discussing the options I mentioned that IMAZ is loops so he'd see me more but Boulder is close to home so he'd probably have family and friends to hang with.

2014-08-11 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

1. Goals ... 1. Keep Mutti and myself alive today (check). 2. Both of us had a bite to eat today (check) 3. Keep the roof on over our heads (well, mostly ... there was a really big storm ... )

2. Had to do a mall run to pay for Germany tickets (couldn't send a rep. B/C huge discount for certain bank cardholders, had to show up in person). I'm getting 3 of us to Germany and back on business class (flat bed seats on a GREAT airline), via shortest/most direct route available, for ... wait for it ... no really ... $9200.* QUADRUPLE Sky miles on our program. I know. I'm awesome. I did this all by myself with a little search-fu-fighting.

3. Whilst in the mall I happened to pass by Planet Sports aka Crackhouse ... and like a true addict ... but wait! there's more! For $192, I got:

- 2 Timex watches with tap screen and 16 interval timers (plus all the other normal hoo-rah ... WTF

- 5 neon-colored dry-tech tops, one of which has pockets (it's like the world's lightest cycling jersey)

*ETA this includes a Euro commuter airline hop (with generous baggage!) since our end destination is Hamburg, not a major hub like Frankfurt or Amsterdam.

Yay powershopper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-08-11 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nope.  There are 163 spots left.  Yesterday there were 172 or something like that so it's filling up.  Still thinking about doing it despite the price?

Yeah, I told DH I was going to ask you about it again. Does it at least have a good festival at the finish? Or a ticket to an Oktoberfest in town somewhere?

Here's the link for the info:  http://www.withoutlimits.co/#!oktoberfest-sprint-triathlon/cuxf

It looks like the expo is big and they have good goodie bags (or so they say).  It looks to be a pretty flat, fast course.

Oh cool it's in Longmont! My Dirty Girl on Saturday is in Erie!

2014-08-11 3:41 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Yay powershopper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yanti, you never cease to amaze me.  You've powered (ahem) through travel arranging, a shopping trip, and a power outage with humor and style (e.g., red 'n' yellow Crocs) all in one day/night.  You rock!  Now stop and breathe, if that's possible. 

2014-08-11 3:43 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Here's the link for the info:  http://www.withoutlimits.co/#!oktoberfest-sprint-triathlon/cuxf

It looks like the expo is big and they have good goodie bags (or so they say).  It looks to be a pretty flat, fast course.

Oh cool it's in Longmont! My Dirty Girl on Saturday is in Erie!

Did I fail to mention that?  Oops!  It might be a bit of a pain if you're staying down in S. Denver and commuting up, but if you're staying up north, it'd be mighty convenient.  C'mon, DOOO EEEET!!  You know you want to!

2014-08-11 3:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

On another maybe even somewhat relevant note, I've been getting out and about a ton. Lots of trail running/hiking and exploring.

We did a trail run and saw 7 of the most unique and beautiful waterfalls and then went into this gorge where you hike right in the riverbed to ANOTHER waterfall, complete with an up to your neck COLD water crossing, it looked like Jurassic Park. 

Ooooh also, Oiselle featured me in one of their tweets: https://twitter.com/oiselle 

I've been enjoying your pics, too!  Simply gorgeous!  Speaking of Oiselle, I purchased one of their sports bras and a tank and LUV them both!  So both me and your soul thank you for spending some quality time with Ma Nature.   The world can be a beautiful place, and nature has a very soothing, healing quality, at least for me.

Edited by melbo55 2014-08-11 3:53 PM
2014-08-11 3:50 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

On another maybe even somewhat relevant note, I've been getting out and about a ton. Lots of trail running/hiking and exploring.

We did a trail run and saw 7 of the most unique and beautiful waterfalls and then went into this gorge where you hike right in the riverbed to ANOTHER waterfall, complete with an up to your neck COLD water crossing, it looked like Jurassic Park. 

Ooooh also, Oiselle featured me in one of their tweets: https://twitter.com/oiselle 

I've been enjoying your pics, too!  Simply gorgeous!  Speaking of Oiselle, I purchased one of their sports bras and a tank and LUV them both!

I bought a tank too! Which one did you get? I got this one in blue. Love it!

2014-08-11 3:58 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by melbo55

I've been enjoying your pics, too!  Simply gorgeous!  Speaking of Oiselle, I purchased one of their sports bras and a tank and LUV them both!

I bought a tank too! Which one did you get? I got this one in blue. Love it!

This one in grey, and look, it's on sale now!  So soft and comfy.  Gotta get my arms back into better shape to look a little better in it, plus lose the biker tan, LOL!  I look quite dorky in it.  OK, I look pretty dorky in most anything, truth be told!  Fashionista I am not!

2014-08-11 3:59 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

ETA2 ... oh good the electricity is back on ... just before I needed to douse someone in the gasoline we didn't buy for the generator and light it. Also before Mutti woke up (she's sensitive to light, very, mainly because she's deaf) and panicked. There's a torch right next to her bedside lamp but she wouldn't remember it's there whereas the same lamp has been in the same place for 25 years.

You never cease to amaze me!!  Nice work, MacGyver!  Give a hug to Mutti for me, please!  And one for yourself, too!

2014-08-11 4:07 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

I think non-specific detours are totally fine but should be thoughtful about them within an overall plan. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll definitely keep that in mind as I'm putting together my plan.  I don't want to wear myself out on races that won't be beneficial for my HM training.  I hadn't really thought about A race v. B race or anything.  I was just thinking about being able to finish.  Like I said, I'm kind of naive about all this stuff and really appreciate your wisdom!

2014-08-11 5:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

My journey has taken a little detour with surgery and everything. Then, I got bit by a bug or something and have had serious wanderlust. I'm not joking. I have this desire to be out in nature that I just cannot ignore. So, I've been doing a lot of hiking and exploring. I still have run every day and my running fitness makes me able to cover a lot of ground but it hasn't been the kind of running (in combination with the surgery) that will product a HM I would love.

So, that being said, I decided to drop the summer HM and just launch right into marathon training then maybe do a HM about 6-8 weeks out from the actual marathon. I think that will be more helpful in terms of giving me feedback on my marathon training. 

I am racing in the regional 10K road championship this weekend, which will more or less kick off my marathon training. I'm still not totally where I want to be running fitness-wise, but it will be a good check in.

I'm going to multi-task marathon training and cross country racing. Cross country did some things for my running strength (mental and physical) that nothing else has replicated. So, hopefully I can harness that (and not burn out!) This is partially why I am giving myself a summer pass on my running and caving to my wanderlust. What I see happening is a hard cross country race (or practice) on Saturdays followed by long, marathon specific runs on Sundays.

I'm open to hear any feedback on this, too. But that's kind of where I am at right now. 

Excellent plan!  You really seemed to enjoy XC last year and I'm happy to see that you are planning to do it again this year. 

This is supposed to be fun, after all :-)

I like the idea too. There needs to be some room in the training schemes. I get that wanderlust too. That's exactly why I made the 8 hr trip last weekend to do some dinky non-standard race that no-one has really heard of before. It was out in the woods and along the shoreline of one of the great lakes I hadn't been to in like forever. Lots of opportunities to see waterfalls up there as well. Shorter midwest ones, but I'll take what I could get. Some of this off the path running may not seem to be *perfect* for building up to a marathon, but I think it still is helpful. It's still running and even more so it's taking care of you mentally. I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to continually just go from one marathon build to the next even if you took an appropriate amount of time to recover. The mental aspect is tremendous. You have to keep things fresh at times and you  have to do some things to make that so. The cross country season should help with that. It may not be quite *perfect*, but I think it brings a lot for you. Having a singular focus can be good for a time, but over a longer haul it can really burn you out.

2014-08-11 5:43 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll definitely keep that in mind as I'm putting together my plan.  I don't want to wear myself out on races that won't be beneficial for my HM training.  I hadn't really thought about A race v. B race or anything.  I was just thinking about being able to finish.  Like I said, I'm kind of naive about all this stuff and really appreciate your wisdom!

And that is a perfectly good goal!

2014-08-11 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

In other words, is beer involved? 

Don't know, but it's probably a pretty safe bet.  It's illegal to use "Oktoberfest" in the name without providing beer, isn't it?   If there is, you can have mine.  I can't stand the stuff.  Hard cider, on the other hand....

That's it.  You are out of the pod! 

Hey now!!  That means more for the rest of you!!  What's wrong with that?!

Sadly, I can't drink wine either - makes me feel hung over immediately, which is SO not worth it.  Guess that means I get to be the Manatee Taxi unless there's Strongbow involved.  Then I'm in on the party with the rest of you and somebody else has to drive.

Maybe that would have to be me cause I don't drink at all.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 45024 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 39221 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 76016 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 52213 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 27587 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.