General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2010-04-05 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2236122

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Time is going in a hurry…   Does anyone have any new cool equipment/accessories to recommend for Tri.  What has been your best purchase in regards to accessories/equipment?

I am trying to figure out my hydration.  I prefer to live off the course as I don't want to pack 3 bottles plus the aero bottle up front.  Not only that, but I cannot stand my profile design aero bottle up front.  Too much rattle/vibration and spillage.  It was annoying the crap out of me.  I just picked up the Speedfil Hydration System.  It holds just over 40oz and has a quick fill on the fly.  I have only had it for a couple of weeks, but it is awesome and no rattle noise and enough fluids to satisfy but not over due it between aid stations.  http://www.invisciddesign.com/home.htm.

I need to figure out how to pack my CO2 and tubular.  Has anyone tried the XLab Turbo Wing?  It appears to be smaller than the XLab Superwing which would probably meet my needs.  Other recommendations?  

2010-04-05 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2768960

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
trilund - 2010-04-05 10:47 AM

I am trying to figure out my hydration.  I prefer to live off the course as I don't want to pack 3 bottles plus the aero bottle up front. 

My hydration plan this year will be the same as in past years.  Two bottles on the bike, mounted on the frame.  One bottle will have a 1000 calorie drink mix in it.  The other bottle will be a water bottle that I will toss and replace at the aid stations.

CO2 and repair kit in a saddle bag under the seat.  Gels and Cliff bars in a small bento box on top of the frame. 

2010-04-05 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2769029

That sounds almost identical to my planned set-up.  I think I may just duct tape the gels to the top tube instead of carrying a box.  Two bottles, and aerodrink.  Flat repair in saddlebag below seat.  

For wheels, will run a HED3 front and thinking of covering my rear PT wheel, but I guess that will be a game day decision.  All 145 lbs of me may not want a rear disk if its windy.  

That being said, what are you guys carrying for high calorie drinks?  I would love some suggestions, so i can try them out over the next few week's long rides.  For gel I've used gu roctane on my recent marathons, and think that will be my gel of choice for the bike/run.

Bachelor party in vegas killed my weekend training and probably counterbalanced my last few weeks of training.  Looking for some good long rides in the next weeks, and may run a local marathon this Saturday for an organized long run.  

Everybody's numbers look great.  Looking forward to this!  Keep up the strong work. 
2010-04-05 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Got my last 20-miler in for Boston yesterday - what a sufferfest!  Hopefully, things will be better in Boston.  Should have gotten it in last weekend, but Oceanside got in the way.  Fun little Oly next weekend and some track / tempo workouts between now and then and that's it!

Re: gadgets, I use the X-Lab Carbon Wing and stuff a tire between the water bottles on back when I'm going long.  You can buy the X-nut adapter and screw 2 CO2 cartridges and the inflator to the back.

I have an Areodrink for up front, but I don't like it for the same reasons already mentioned.  I'll most likely just go with one bottle on the back and one in a cage on the downtube.  I'll leave one spot open in the back to put a new bottle from aid stations.

I also like Bontrager's feed box.  I have both the small and large and would recommend the large for long races.  They have a stretchy cord to wrap around the stem (standard Bento straps are a bit too short to fit around the cable housings and stem on my Transition).
2010-04-05 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Anyone ever try Carbo-Pro?  I know a lot people swear by it.  Will be trying it out in training after the marathon.
2010-04-05 1:12 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I use carbo pro for biking. I usually mix one scoop per water bottle with my GU2O.  It works great!  I've tried making stronger bottles but it was too much for my stomach to handle.  So I've found that if I only add one scoop it works better for me, on top of taking a gel every hour.

Note:  I just wish they would make individual packets because it would be nice in races to be able to open a packet and dump it into my aerobottle.  Maybe someday they will come out with that??

2010-04-05 1:15 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
trilund - 2010-04-05 12:47 PM

Time is going in a hurry…   Does anyone have any new cool equipment/accessories to recommend for Tri.  What has been your best purchase in regards to accessories/equipment?

I am trying to figure out my hydration.  I prefer to live off the course as I don't want to pack 3 bottles plus the aero bottle up front.  Not only that, but I cannot stand my profile design aero bottle up front.  Too much rattle/vibration and spillage.  It was annoying the crap out of me.  I just picked up the Speedfil Hydration System.  It holds just over 40oz and has a quick fill on the fly.  I have only had it for a couple of weeks, but it is awesome and no rattle noise and enough fluids to satisfy but not over due it between aid stations.  http://www.invisciddesign.com/home.htm.

I need to figure out how to pack my CO2 and tubular.  Has anyone tried the XLab Turbo Wing?  It appears to be smaller than the XLab Superwing which would probably meet my needs.  Other recommendations?  

I solved that problem with mine.  Totally ditched the worthless bracket and use eletrical tape to hold it on- kinda do a figure 8 around the bottle to hold it on there.  Kinda ghetto, but I've never had to worry about it ever falling off or coming loose when using the electrical tape.  It works awesome!
2010-04-05 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2769063

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO

splenomeg - 2010-04-05 12:23 PM That sounds almost identical to my planned set-up.  I think I may just duct tape the gels to the top tube instead of carrying a box.  Two bottles, and aerodrink.  Flat repair in saddlebag below seat.  

For wheels, will run a HED3 front and thinking of covering my rear PT wheel, but I guess that will be a game day decision.  All 145 lbs of me may not want a rear disk if its windy.  

I use double sided velcro tape and it works great as well. Just little inch long strips on the top tube and one on the gel, velcro the pieces together and your good to go.  Just another option.

2010-04-05 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2769236

Regular
Selachophobia - 2010-04-05 11:29 AM

splenomeg - 2010-04-05 12:23 PM That sounds almost identical to my planned set-up.  I think I may just duct tape the gels to the top tube instead of carrying a box.  Two bottles, and aerodrink.  Flat repair in saddlebag below seat.  

I use double sided velcro tape and it works great as well. Just little inch long strips on the top tube and one on the gel, velcro the pieces together and your good to go.  Just another option.

i use zip ties.
2010-04-05 5:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

I use a short bungee cord to keep mine in place and it works very well, no rattle. I do have a problem with spillage but a removeable zip-tie keeps the yellow scruncee thing in place.

2010-04-05 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2769159

User image

Regular
halfironmike - 2010-04-05 12:03 PM Anyone ever try Carbo-Pro?  I know a lot people swear by it.  Will be trying it out in training after the marathon.

Carbo-Pro is the only thing my wife uses for marathons.  She easily gets stomach issues with other products (i.e. gu, cliff shots, chomps, etc.).  She started using Carbo-Pro and that is the only thing she uses for any event with the exception of some electrolyte tabs.  I have used Carbo-Pro a fair amount...  However, I usually use it for carb loading the 1-2 days before a race.  The good news about the product is that it is almost tasteless and doesn't have the sugary taste that most of the other drinks have.

2010-04-05 8:03 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I find it pretty funny that none of use the aerobottle bracket and have developed our own systems to keep the bottle in place.   The bracket is a waste of money, IMO.
2010-04-06 10:43 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
My aero bottle camewith a velcro attachment system and well I did have to jury rig it a bit by putting a little extra padding between the bars for a snug fit.  However I love the tops, no yellow puffy thing and no spillage even on pretty mean bumps.  I also added camelback bit valved to the straws so that I don't get nailed in the face on bumpy roads when I try to drink from them.  It was the best $10 I could spend to make the aero bottle work for me.  It already had the octogonal foam caps for the quick fill non splash problems.  Hopefully I can get a short jog in on Sunday.  All bike and swim this week still. 
2010-04-07 11:10 AM

User image

New user

New Haven
I'm going to do a practice-tri on June 4, 2010 - do you all think a Half-IM is a bad idea as this is the week my tapering begins (there is an Olympic distance at the same venue)?  I'm thinking that if I'm in good position to do the IM, then this half would be a great opportunity to practice for the real thing and to tune up little things going into the last three weeks...any thoughts?
2010-04-07 11:29 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Is it too early to start asking about water temps?

2010-04-07 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2774043

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
Co-worker who hails from CdA was talking to her mother yesterday and she indicated H2O temps in Lake CdA at 41F currently (she's headed up there this weekend and wanted to gauge whether it was worth packing a wetsuit for a swim).  It'll warm up considerably before the big show...

-John 

2010-04-07 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2773979

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
MikeAndHuskies - 2010-04-07 9:10 AM I'm going to do a practice-tri on June 4, 2010 - do you all think a Half-IM is a bad idea as this is the week my tapering begins (there is an Olympic distance at the same venue)?  I'm thinking that if I'm in good position to do the IM, then this half would be a great opportunity to practice for the real thing and to tune up little things going into the last three weeks...any thoughts?

I'm debating the same issue and from what I've been told, you just have to consider whether or not it will help or hurt your performance at CDA.  I was considering a trip to Hawaii for the Honu half and decided it just didn't make sense (travel, hot humid race, etc.).

If it's a close race and you can sleep in your own bed and not get drained too much by severe conditions, then it might be a good tune-up.  I'll probably just do a half simulation with training buddies 3 or 4 weeks out.
2010-04-07 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2774077

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
TheWolf - 2010-04-07 9:40 AM Co-worker who hails from CdA was talking to her mother yesterday and she indicated H2O temps in Lake CdA at 41F currently (she's headed up there this weekend and wanted to gauge whether it was worth packing a wetsuit for a swim).  It'll warm up considerably before the big show...

-John 
  41????   Are there icebergs?????
2010-04-08 10:23 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The common wisdom on BT is that doing a HIM 6-8 weeks out is fine, 5 weeks is pushing it 3 weeks is too close to the IM and you will risk damaging your IM performance fairly significantly if you are not one of those people with a 10 year base at the IM level and can absorb HIM without missing a step.  If you are not one of those people who can do marathons 2 weeks appart.... the HIM in June is not recommended.  For me an IM is way to important to risk making it a misserable day/more misserable 8).  An Oly on the other hand you can bounce back from in several days.   
2010-04-08 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2776970

Baowolf - 2010-04-08 10:23 AM The common wisdom on BT is that doing a HIM 6-8 weeks out is fine, 5 weeks is pushing it 3 weeks is too close to the IM and you will risk damaging your IM performance fairly significantly if you are not one of those people with a 10 year base at the IM level and can absorb HIM without missing a step.  If you are not one of those people who can do marathons 2 weeks appart.... the HIM in June is not recommended.  For me an IM is way to important to risk making it a misserable day/more misserable 8).  An Oly on the other hand you can bounce back from in several days.   

I agree to close to risk it. There are a ton of HIM in May if you want a tune up.
2010-04-08 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2775629

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
Linda - 41F isn't too bad....  In my my younger days I used to scuba dive off Nova Scotia in mid winter with a water temp of 29F using an 8mm NATO spec WETsuit...   41F is downright balmy, hehehe

Seriously though, it should warm up to 58+ before race day - I swim in that all winter long here in SoCal.

-John

2010-04-08 10:10 PM

User image

Regular
trilund - 2010-04-05 11:47 AM

Highly recommend you not use those "screw in CO2 holders" on your XLab "whatever." Saw a lady lose a couple of spokes at CDA last year when her CO2 "worked" it's way out. Nasty sound.

N.
2010-04-08 11:38 PM

Regular
Nice little 58 mile mid week bike ride. I rode home from work. No Back problems after seeing the chiro yesterday. We will see what happens with this weeks long bike.
2010-04-09 9:52 AM

User image

New user
Just read Andy Potts is racing IMCDA with us! How cool - Andy is a class act.
2010-04-11 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2779855

User image

Veteran
Spokane
Andy Potts = Stud.

Did my own self-supported 1/2 IM training session yesterday. I was a little tired, primarily because of my lack of food at the end of the bike and throughout the run. Pretty good training session to gauge where I am at - about 5:30.

Anyone got any crazy training stories so far?

2.5 months out....nice.

Anyone think that a 1/2 IM, two months after the full Ironman is too much? Just curious about some thoughts, on the reverse of the topic of doing a 1/2 before the full.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 53