BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-04-13 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!

I love the feedback everyone is giving on this spouse topic....This is a great problem to have isn't it??
I know for some of us, a few years ago the issue was who was going to get off the couch to get the chips!

My wife has really only gotten into running for now. She may do a try-a-tri later this summer. But for me, when we get a chance to run together, we usually do a longer run together and I really slow down my pace to hang with her. I make it an easy long run. Like a feel others said, with kids we rarely get a chance to do it together, unless wea re in the basement with the kids playing.

2010-04-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2787979

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
badgerintx - 2010-04-13 10:48 AM

tjtryon - 2010-04-12 7:35 PM 

Please post about the fitting. WHat technique they use (Retul, etc.) do they swap out parts, pedals, saddles, etc. Good luck and great news.
If anyone has a video that they want to get their "angles", I have a copy of dart fish. I'd just need about a 10 or 15 second (at most) video. You can even do a quick video with your phone and text it to me:

I will definitely take you up on this offer.  Should be able to get some video shot this weekend.  Have been moving more and more aero all winter since my last fit in Spring of 2009 and I feel good, comfortable, and powerful.  Don't want to drop $200- $300 to get refit if it is not needed and my angles will answer that question for me.  

Thanks
Dino

Once you get the video, give me a call at 317-774-8762, and we can figure the best way to get it to me. I'm on eastern time, probably up until about 10 or so most nights.
2010-04-13 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Appreciate all the thoughts! What great resposes!

I cant keep up running as she can keep a good 15-17 MPH pace on the bike so that is out of the question.

Winter has come and gone, so now its back to the roads.  We run together and she does not seem to think that same logic of me running slower for recover etc work well, but refuses to believe that cycling is similar.  When I go from running 8-9 min miles to 11-12, its about the same as 20 MPH down to 15-17.

She does the sport as a way to keep active and while she would like to get faster, it is just recreation for her, so I don't expect that she will want to do tempo workouts etc.  Its not as much of a critique thing, as she does ask for pointers etc at times, and I don't offer up much unless she asks for it. 

It just seems to stem from us having different goals where one is more recreational and the other is more competitive.
2010-04-13 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2788236

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
stefanier - 2010-04-13 10:09 AM

A question for the group, especially those with spouses that Tri.  How do you handle the fitness differences between you and your spouse?  I cannot seem to convince my wife that I can go out and ride my bike without needing to push the pace all the time.  She always thinks she is holding me back, and doesn't want it to feel like a leisurely ride for me while she is using it as a workout.  I try to explain that I still enjoy riding with her and can work on techniques if she wants us to both be "working out" 

Any thoughts?  Unfortunately I caught the bug and now its biting.

I will say by far this is the hardest thing to balance. I have another friend whos husband does tri and she and I have similar issues.

I am insanely competitive when it comes to sports and my husband. If you knew me well, you would know that competitiveness is NOT in my blood. Not at all. However with my spouse, something just kicks in unnaturally. Is has caused a good deal of frustration in our training because we train for the same events with almost the same training schedule. Some parts of it work beautifull while some, not so much.

I have the greatest frustration on the bike because my husband is much more talented than I am. I do have the same sentiments that I feel bad that he essentially "chaperones" me on the rides and does not get a decent workout himself. Luckily our fitness levels aren't too terribly far apart on the bike (when I am on my tri bike) but I do know that when he rides with me it is not a hard effort like he could get when riding with the faster group.

Honestly what has helped us the most is to seperate our training. The companionship while training can be great but in the end it honestly was causing more damage than benefit. So now we might run at the same time and on the same route, but we dont necessairly run together. That way he can run faster but we still see each other and can check on each other. For the Bike, he has an additional group ride each week that I do not go on because of my work schedule and he can ride with the fast kids. And we dont swim together because we swim at two different pools at different times due to work schedules.

The other area that has been tough is taking suggestions, advice and tips from each other. It is a communication issue that we work though and have had to be very patient with each other. Talking to other couples who tri, it seems to be a common issue mainly with one person (typically the less speedier one) feeling like they are constantly being critiqued and told they are not pushing themselves hard enough.

We have learned that sometimes it is best to wait until you can sit down and have a conversation about the sport rather than to try and provide on the spot advice. (IE waiting until after the bike ride to tell me about a suggestion rather than making it while in the middle of the ride.) Sure I would agree it is a bit less effective to hear it later but for my husband and I it has solved a lot of frustration out on the road.  

Hang in there. I completely feel you and your wife's pain. It is a constant learning process. I will definitely say that this has been a different communication challenge that my Husband and I otherwise have never experienced. However we are learning how to assist and encourage each other in different ways. We have both learned that we have different needs when it comes to training encouragement and advice that we both need to be aware of in order for both of us to be happy and satisfied.

I would definitely suggest a sit down conversation where you and your wife can both share your thoughts and feelings. We tried to have this conversation several times immediately following a workout and it never worked but finally we sat down one evening away from a workout and the conversation was so much better. We answered the following questions to each other and it greatly helped:
1) You can encourage me by doing/saying...
2) I feel frustrated in training when...
3) I need you to support me by ...
4) If you notice an area where you can assist me by giving advice you should do it in the following manner...

They seem simple but it helped us! Hope this helps you! Let me know if you have any questions

Ok i want the gold star..
 great advice. I am the less slower one in our family, so I catch myself sometimes watch her run and think "She could do this" or "she could do that". I caught myself thinking as I saw her come to the finish line this wekend thinking "Cmon RUN SPRINT RUN". Perceived effort in someone else is impossible to measure. <- very important point
I try not to support, but it can be hard sometimes to not come across as preaching. I think your questions are great conversation starters. I may steal a few of the Stephanie.

I am a totally competitive person as well, I'm lucky right now that she is slower than I.
I couldn't imagine if my wife was faster than me. I do not know how i would handle it?

Steve how do you do it?

Edited by TrevorC 2010-04-13 12:02 PM
2010-04-13 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Ahh final results in from my 12 week Exercise challenge at work:

1st - Jeff - 80094 calories
2nd - 25700 calories
3rd - 24599 calories

The pot will be paying for my new front wheel and some new custom graphics for them. Not bad for being on vacation one week and with a broken wrist in week 9
2010-04-13 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2788408

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2010-04-13 11:59 AM

Steve how do you do it?

there it is. 

2010-04-13 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2788413

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
jvanis - 2010-04-13 1:02 PM Ahh final results in from my 12 week Exercise challenge at work:

2nd - 25700 calories
3rd - 24599 calories

The pot will be paying for my new front wheel and some new custom graphics for them. Not bad for being on vacation one week and with a broken wrist in week 9

AWESOME job....looks like you really blew away the competition.

Must be a really sweet pot for those kinds of goodies.

STeve

2010-04-13 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Love the responses to the spouse question.  I have the exact opposite issue and maybe there can be some talk on that subject also.  My bride thinks I am friggin crazy for getting up at 4:30 am to swim/bike/run or to come home after a 10 hour work day and go out for a run.  I don't she has ever even attended one of my races....to early in the morning for her liking. That being said, I should say that she is very supportive of my training time and never gives me much hassle but just is not interested at all.  She is in great shape (I know, pictures or didn't happen), but 1/2 hour 3 times a week doing an aerobic class or a brisk walk is all she needs.  

This can make it difficult with the long weekend workouts, but she likes to sleep in on most weekend days so I am usually done with at least half of my workouts by the time she gets her day going.    

Anybody else also dealing with the "opposite issue" at home?  Is this really a good thing and I just don't know it?

Dino  
2010-04-13 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2788443

User image

Champion
marietta
badgerintx - 2010-04-13 12:12 PM Love the responses to the spouse question.  I have the exact opposite issue and maybe there can be some talk on that subject also.  My bride thinks I am friggin crazy for getting up at 4:30 am to swim/bike/run or to come home after a 10 hour work day and go out for a run.  I don't she has ever even attended one of my races....to early in the morning for her liking. That being said, I should say that she is very supportive of my training time and never gives me much hassle but just is not interested at all.  She is in great shape (I know, pictures or didn't happen), but 1/2 hour 3 times a week doing an aerobic class or a brisk walk is all she needs.  

This can make it difficult with the long weekend workouts, but she likes to sleep in on most weekend days so I am usually done with at least half of my workouts by the time she gets her day going.    

Anybody else also dealing with the "opposite issue" at home?  Is this really a good thing and I just don't know it?

Dino  

on the surface its seems like a good thing. but i think its gotta kinda suck that she doesn't seem to supportive.  but i'd take that over a spouse that is against what one is trying to do.  would she be up for volunteering or even officiating.
2010-04-13 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

I think Stephanie and Trevor made excellent points about being critiqued. Usually women want encouragement and will ask for critiques when wanted, men are the opposite,  but everyone likes to hear they are doing good/better.   I had to swallow my pride a little when my husband started out performing me at all 3 events.  I started in tri's and bike riding first and it was difficult watching him make such phenomenal improvements in a very short amount of time. 

But on the positive side it is wonderful to have this in common with your spouse.  It certainly makes big ticket items easier to justify Wink

2010-04-13 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2788413

User image

Elite
Ontario
jvanis - 2010-04-13 1:02 PM Ahh final results in from my 12 week Exercise challenge at work:

2nd - 25700 calories
3rd - 24599 calories

That's a serious stomping of the competition - I need my work to start a pot that'll be me some new wheels!!  Nicely done.

2010-04-13 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2787972

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
jvanis - 2010-04-13 9:47 AM Kelly - Hope all is well for you, hope that everyone continues to be alright and no issues appear over time.  Never fun having to deal with the hassle of all the logistics afterwards though! 

Hope all workouts for everyone are going well, unfortunately it looks like we have a few days of rain in store.

A question for the group, especially those with spouses that Tri.  How do you handle the fitness differences between you and your spouse?  I cannot seem to convince my wife that I can go out and ride my bike without needing to push the pace all the time.  She always thinks she is holding me back, and doesn't want it to feel like a leisurely ride for me while she is using it as a workout.  I try to explain that I still enjoy riding with her and can work on techniques if she wants us to both be "working out" 

Simple answer - WE DON"T!  Tony is a "toad" when it comes to us riding together.  I used to get lots of "Are you pedaling backwards?" when I'd catch up at a rest spot.

But on the otherhand, now that he has gotten more serious (and ironically faster) he is more supportive and realizes that we are both training hard.  However, since our training plans don't really have easy outdoor riding days, we happily agree that riding together doesn't really work.  We do run together and do things like take the kids to a park and swap runs at a track or on the trail.  So we still do some training together.

Now when summer hits and the days are long, we love to ride over to the next town along the bike trails and drink, eat dinner then ride home in the dark.  LOL  That is fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd just make sure you aren't making any joking or little remarks that might make her feel like she is holding you back even if you truly are happy to go at a slower pace.
2010-04-13 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2788589

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
tahrens - 2010-04-13 12:50 PM

I think Stephanie and Trevor made excellent points about being critiqued. Usually women want encouragement and will ask for critiques when wanted, men are the opposite,  but everyone likes to hear they are doing good/better.   I had to swallow my pride a little when my husband started out performing me at all 3 events.  I started in tri's and bike riding first and it was difficult watching him make such phenomenal improvements in a very short amount of time. 

But on the positive side it is wonderful to have this in common with your spouse.  It certainly makes big ticket items easier to justify Wink

I hear ya - I got Tony into tris and in the beginning I was faster.  Now he can fly past me except he has not beaten me yet at longer running distances - 10 milers and up.  :-(Just giving you incentive, honey.)

And we are super competitive w/ each other.  We have "damaged" a few tennis rackets and golf clubs in our past. 

Embarassed

Edited by sdalessio 2010-04-13 1:11 PM
2010-04-13 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Dino, this wont help but my solution was to recruit mine to the sport. LOL Now look where that has gotten me .

Before we both started in the sport of Triathlon, I was "just" a runner who was training for a marathon. Early early on he was supportive of my dedication to the sport but kinda resentful of the amount of time it took to train. My biggest hurdle was getting him to see that this was for my fitness and that it wasnt necessairly my "alone time". He viewed my exercise time as my personal time and didnt understand why I wanted other alone time to read or go to the book store. (I should also mention that he worked 90 miles from our house and was on the road 4 hours a day at that time. So weekday time was extremely limited which meant weekend time was the only "together" time we had)

Similar to my current situation, it took a lot of discussion and sharing of goals. Understanding what each person wants and what compromises you are willing to make.
2010-04-13 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2788589

User image

Veteran
tahrens - 2010-04-13 1:50 PM

I had to swallow my pride a little when my husband started out performing me at all 3 events.  I started in tri's and bike riding first and it was difficult watching him make such phenomenal improvements in a very short amount of time. 

This is exactly it!!!
I was the runner for 2 years before he started.
I was the swimmer for 4 years before he started.
I was the girl who did spinning classes before he ever bought a bike.

And in a matter of 1 month of starting all three sports, be blew me out of the water, off my bike and out of my running shoes.

Now don't get me wrong, I am so proud of him and everything that he has accomplished. And I would never wish him to hold him self back on my account but It was a tough pill to swallow.

It is almost reassuring to know that I am not alone!Laughing

2010-04-13 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2787972

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

jvanis - 2010-04-13 10:47 AM Kelly - Hope all is well for you, hope that everyone continues to be alright and no issues appear over time.  Never fun having to deal with the hassle of all the logistics afterwards though! 

Hope all workouts for everyone are going well, unfortunately it looks like we have a few days of rain in store.

have your husband gear down and pedal twice as fast. he'll feel the workout trying to keep up with you then.

2010-04-13 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2788747

User image

Champion
marietta
Redknight - 2010-04-13 1:35 PM

jvanis - 2010-04-13 10:47 AM Kelly - Hope all is well for you, hope that everyone continues to be alright and no issues appear over time.  Never fun having to deal with the hassle of all the logistics afterwards though! 

have your husband gear down and pedal twice as fast. he'll feel the workout trying to keep up with you then.

post of the year.
2010-04-13 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2788443

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

badgerintx - 2010-04-13 1:12 PM Love the responses to the spouse question.  I have the exact opposite issue and maybe there can be some talk on that subject also.  My bride thinks I am friggin crazy for getting up at 4:30 am to swim/bike/run or to come home after a 10 hour work day and go out for a run.  I don't she has ever even attended one of my races....to early in the morning for her liking. That being said, I should say that she is very supportive of my training time and never gives me much hassle but just is not interested at all.  She is in great shape (I know, pictures or didn't happen), but 1/2 hour 3 times a week doing an aerobic class or a brisk walk is all she needs.  

Dino  

I'm sure lots of us have the opposirte issue. My wife, kids and inlaws all think I am crazy to have a 12 hour workday and then go out and train 3-4 nitghts a week and then do even more long stuff on the weekend. None of them come out to races excpet for the HIM my wife attended last year. It was her first and definitely her last. Probably not a good race for a spectator to start watching triathlons. Whenever it affects some family outing I get the "look". I just try to make it all work for everyone.

2010-04-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2788759

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

fattyfatfat - 2010-04-13 2:39 PM
Redknight - 2010-04-13 1:35 PM

post of the year.

oops how about gear down and them you will feel the workout trying to keep up to your wife.  Darn work gets in the way of proper responses.

Nice John. I did that on purpose to see if anyone would catch it

Edited by Redknight 2010-04-13 1:47 PM
2010-04-13 1:56 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
My situation is different than most of yours. My wife has no interest in doing a triathlon. She IS supportive of my training and has come to see me race with the kids.

Years ago she trained for and ran the Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon in VA Beach. I supported her and ran along side her the last mile to see her home. She has been heavily into tennis since we moved to NC. It is the only thing I have ever seen bring out her competitiveness. She spends hours working on line-ups, reviewing other teams, etc. I support her in this and I have come to see her play more than once. I am very impressed with her play.

Yesterday she had a match and when I left for work in the AM my 9 year old son was coughing. After I got through my morning stuff I called to her to see if Jake had to stay home from school and to offer to come home and watch after him while she played. Turns out he was OK and went to school, but she really appreciated it, and the fact that I knew how important the tennis match was to her.

We do not swim, bike or run together, but we do go for weeekly walks for some alone time. I do not know what I would react like if she wanted to race triathlons. I would support her, but it would be strange with regards to training.

Whatever your partner is into, as long as it is legal, being supporrtive is the right way to go.
2010-04-13 2:14 PM

User image

Wow, am I behind.  I could try to keep up, but no way.
*  Guess I'll just say great job this weekend racers...except John (he is saving up for Lonestar - watch out).
*  Great news Chris, I'm really happy for you.  Can't wait to watch your journey!
*  Sorry Steve, I really hope everything goes well and you heal quickly and well.
*  Kelly - Ford all the way.  I drive an Excursion and my husband drives an Expedition.  I had an Explorer before the Excursion, and my husband had the F-150.  Use to have a contact, but that was too long ago - sorry.
*  Suzy - for the longer races I use the bottle Steve posted the pic of.  That and the bottles on my tube have carried me through my longer races.
*  Jeff - don't have any ideas for you.  My husband and I aren't able to work out together.  I would only say that it is nice you both share the same passion.  Have you ever heard of Muddy Buddy races?  My husband and I are doing one in June...fun way to do it together. ...and you aren't side-by-side racing. 

Sorry if I left anyone/anything out.  It's hard to keep up/catch up with this group.  

Edited by Havin'Fun 2010-04-13 2:15 PM

2010-04-13 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Oh no Linda,  YOU DRIVE FORDS!?!?!??!!  Cry
2010-04-13 2:57 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I understand that the Ford Excursion does not come with a spare tire, instead they include a Miata.

Are they making a larger Ford SUV: the Excessive!? This one will need 3 pillars to hold the side view mirrors on. Laughing
2010-04-13 3:24 PM

User image

Are you guys jealous that you can't get an Excursion?!?
This am I was meeting someone at their office.  We were in the parking lot and they said "Man that sure is a big automobile".   It is big, but it carries everything I need...kids, their stuff, my tri stuff...even my hubby from time to time.
I know they stopped making it to give them more room for their truck operations, but man it was a popular one and has treated us really well (I probably just jinxed us). 
2010-04-13 3:37 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
i drive an F250 and a suburban.  my truck is my truck.  nothing better than it, well except the price of diesel..  but that suburban sure is nice. much better for driving the kiddos around in. 
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328