BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-02-14 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
Happy Valentine's day everyone!!  I am not a big celebrator (is that a word) but i hope you all have a wonderful day today. 

On that note, since DH is taking me for dinner tonight, I've re-arranged so that today is a rest day - here's the plan:

Monday: rest
Tuesday: Swim 40 mins, tempo Run 9k
Wednesday: swim 45, bike 1 hour
Thursday: interval run, swim group
Friday:  yoga (optional), bike 55 mins
Saturday: long run 24k
Sunday: bike 55 min

2011-02-14 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3353370

User image

Memphis
BigDH - 2011-02-13 9:03 PM
mylissahorrocks - 2011-02-12 9:52 PM Hi friends!
OK - so here we go into the first moderate week of training. Looks like I have 2 moderate weeks, a hard week, taper week and then RACE DAY March 12! Is anyone else competing this early?

Suddenly I am most nervous about the swim. I am at 12ish for the 500 at the moment, and I'm going to start just upping the time at this point - IE swimming without stopping for 15min, then 20, etc.

So here's my question - what should I be thinking about at this stage in the game? Im worried about not getting open water practice in. I hear the lake is super muddy and dark. Swam for a bit today with my eyes closed...tried to simulate
Here's my training this week, these are doubles:

Sunday: 3-4mi run
Monday: off
Tuesday: swim 30 zone II, bike 45 zone II
Wednesday: run 30 zone II, bike 45 zone II
Thursday: off
Friday: swim zone I 20min, strength 20min
Saturday: brick: bike 60 run 30

wish me luck!
Awesome and good luck. I wouldn't worry too much about anything other than trying to make all your workouts. About the swim, if u have never done it don't worry too much. It would be good to get out there and give it a try. Outdoor swimming is something different, first time I tried it I couldn't get my head in for 15 minutes. It is unnerving to look down and not see a nice pool floor. Every tri I nave done I have had to get in the water early to relearn how to put my face in the water. Keep that in mind, common problem for people who swim outdoors rarely.

thanks so much! At the very least the "day before race" bike and swim will happen at moss park. Actually, I think they have a meeting that day for the first-timers! One of the reasons I picked this event - they section out the MFT'ers, we get a green cap and everything, haha. So I will swim there on Friday, and I plan on getting there early on race day to warm up in the water. hoping for the best!
2011-02-14 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3353901

User image

Champion
Calgary
juniperjen - 2011-02-14 8:37 AM

BigDH - 2011-02-13 10:09 PM Not sure about my plan for the week. Sort of a mini taper for my 50k rave on the 21st. Basically I have four quality runs too get in 14 k with 7k fast 21k 24k 18k We will see how things go, might throw in a couple 8 k recovery find and a day off, or maybe 2 days off.

Holy cow, your 50k is this weekend! Are you planning to take some rest after that? I know you have some other key run races after that ...

I don't think so. I am running it significantly slower than my McMillan calculated pace of 6min/km, going at about 7 min so, really just time on my feet more than anything. I would really love to get sub 6 hours. Last year I had 3 slow days after the race so I imagine it will be the same this year.

Problem is getting my key workouts in this week, I pushed a 18k from this week to last week, but wasn't happy with it because of the ice. I don't know. Not stressing out too much about it.
2011-02-14 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3353382

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
BigDH - 2011-02-13 10:09 PM Not sure about my plan for the week. Sort of a mini taper for my 50k rave on the 21st. Basically I have four quality runs too get in 14 k with 7k fast 21k 24k 18k We will see how things go, might throw in a couple 8 k recovery find and a day off, or maybe 2 days off.

Good luck at your race on the 21st!  I actually had to go to a conversion website to see what 50k was in terms of mileage...  WOW!  That is awesome!!
2011-02-14 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
My plan for this week:
Mon - rest day
Tues - 1 hour spin
Wed - 22 min swim
Thurs - 1 hour spin
Fri -  13 min run
Sat - masters swim
Sun - 22 min run

I had a massage this past weekend and the massage therapist that I saw apparently has a lot of experience with sports massage.  Somehow (based on my muscles?) she thought that I run with my left shoulder raised higher than my right and could use an insert in my running shoes b/c I don't have a very high arch in my feet.  She recommended I have an experienced runner watch my gait as I run to see if this is true.  She also told me that I should be doing some pectoral stretches to improve my posture.  All I wanted was a nice relaxing massage with no talking and I felt like quasimodo coming out of there!  She told me that all of these things could potentially lead to a run injury. 

What do you more experienced runners out there think about all this??  I've never had any injury from running, although I've never run long distances (more than 5 miles).  But now I'm really starting to enjoy this running thing, so don't want to take her recommendations too lightly if they're really valid.
2011-02-14 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Interesting about the massage.  Massage therapists who focus on sports can really know alot but in this case may be stepping out of bounds by recommending inserts in your shoes.  There may be something to pec stretches but mostly I've heard it recommend that any core work in general will help running and keeping a better posture.  Not just a single stretch.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to go see someone, either a physical therapist or trained coach and have them look at your gait but realistically if you're not injured and not planning on high volume just keep taking reasonable precautions like stretching, core work and retiring your shoes as they get worn out that will likely be enough for you. If you were planning on bumping up the distance or feeling more aches and pains there would more cause for concern. 

ETA: i am not a professional - take my opinion for what's its worth.  Just experience with long distance. 

Edited by juniperjen 2011-02-14 1:55 PM

2011-02-15 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Good morning - did everyone have a nice valentine's day?

Seems quiet over here ...
2011-02-15 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3355885

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
juniperjen - 2011-02-15 10:44 AM Good morning - did everyone have a nice valentine's day?

Seems quiet over here ...

VERY quiet lately...  had a nice valentine's day yesterday - very low key - husband made me dinner, which was so nice of him!  my kids all need a valentine's day candy detox, though.
2011-02-15 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3356188

Cold Lake
Attempted to go to Aquafit this morning only to find the main pool was closed... somebody puked in it on Sunday and they haven't been able to get the chlorine levels back to normal to open up again yet... grrrrrr! Should be open this after noon.

I need to get back in gear with my race training. I've been fairly active the last couple of weeks but haven't been getting in my 'planned' training. DH gets home tomorrow so hopefully he will be able to kick me back into it.

2011-02-15 3:24 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Had a strong workout yesterday, did a 7k temp with a 4:59/k pace which is really nice and some solid 6:30 aerobic after that for 14k total. I mean that is fast, I was sore from the weekend and I just flew.

Then today, did my long run, today, which is sooner than I should but I need it out of the way. I was sore, didn't want to go, was making up excuses. And then the wind, it was horrible and I was luck, grrrrrrrrrr, just make it 19 or 21 or whatever, but I kept going and did the full 24 and I ran into the wind at a 6:10/k pace and I was like, man, yeah, and then I turned around and came home and was just flying.

Weird.
2011-02-15 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3356438

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
hooliemay - 2011-02-15 2:50 PM Attempted to go to Aquafit this morning only to find the main pool was closed... somebody puked in it on Sunday and they haven't been able to get the chlorine levels back to normal to open up again yet... grrrrrr! Should be open this after noon.

I need to get back in gear with my race training. I've been fairly active the last couple of weeks but haven't been getting in my 'planned' training. DH gets home tomorrow so hopefully he will be able to kick me back into it.

Oh that sucks about the pool - and they just call it 'pool fouling'. hahaha.

So, your DH hasn't gone to Afghanistan yet?

2011-02-15 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3356606

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
BigDH - 2011-02-15 4:24 PM Had a strong workout yesterday, did a 7k temp with a 4:59/k pace which is really nice and some solid 6:30 aerobic after that for 14k total. I mean that is fast, I was sore from the weekend and I just flew. Then today, did my long run, today, which is sooner than I should but I need it out of the way. I was sore, didn't want to go, was making up excuses. And then the wind, it was horrible and I was luck, grrrrrrrrrr, just make it 19 or 21 or whatever, but I kept going and did the full 24 and I ran into the wind at a 6:10/k pace and I was like, man, yeah, and then I turned around and came home and was just flying. Weird.

Great job!! You get some 'Tough Guy' points!
2011-02-15 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
So ... did we have any discussion topics for the week?

Richard had an excellent thread on the heart rate training.  Any other things we can look into?  Compression clothes? Training theories? Minimalist shoes? Long-course vs. Short course? How to build on your weaknesses or use your strengths?

Thoughts?
2011-02-15 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3354589

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
juniperjen - 2011-02-14 2:51 PM

Interesting about the massage.  Massage therapists who focus on sports can really know alot but in this case may be stepping out of bounds by recommending inserts in your shoes.  There may be something to pec stretches but mostly I've heard it recommend that any core work in general will help running and keeping a better posture.  Not just a single stretch.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to go see someone, either a physical therapist or trained coach and have them look at your gait but realistically if you're not injured and not planning on high volume just keep taking reasonable precautions like stretching, core work and retiring your shoes as they get worn out that will likely be enough for you. If you were planning on bumping up the distance or feeling more aches and pains there would more cause for concern. 

ETA: i am not a professional - take my opinion for what's its worth.  Just experience with long distance. 

Thanks for your input, Jen! 
2011-02-15 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3356621

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
juniperjen - 2011-02-15 4:28 PM So ... did we have any discussion topics for the week?

Richard had an excellent thread on the heart rate training.  Any other things we can look into?  Compression clothes? Training theories? Minimalist shoes? Long-course vs. Short course? How to build on your weaknesses or use your strengths?

Thoughts?

These all sound like interesting topics to me, but I'm especially curious lately about compression clothes b/c I just saw something mentioned about them in a magazine I was reading.  What do they do and when would you need them?  I'm totally clueless on this topic.
2011-02-15 10:33 PM

Cold Lake
Compression clothing?? what's that? I wear tight leggings from Under Armor when I run... is that it? I wear them cause I like that I jiggle less while I'm running... and they make my butt look good...

2011-02-16 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
I would love to learn a little more about compression clothing as well. 

Hope everyone is doing good this week.  It has been quiet on the boards.  It took everything I had to get up and go this morning.  I am soooo tired today!  At least it is supposed to be 67 degrees here!!!  Woot, Woot!!!  I get to wear a skirt to work!  I love it, just wish it would stay this way.

Oh and I was down 2.2 this week at WW!  I was in shock!

Edited by debbiereid06 2011-02-16 2:28 PM
2011-02-16 2:52 PM

User image

Memphis
Compression clothes - wondering about that too!
I can say something for minimalist shoes - I am now the proud owner of a pair of Saucony Kinvara's. They were a "runner's world" pick in 2010, and my local store thinks they are the best of the lightweights. I also have a new pair of Brooks Ghost, and honestly between the two I would pick the Brooks "regular" shoe. The Kinvara is SUPER comfortable, but feels a bit "harder" coming down on it...mainly picked them so they'd get into the toe clips easier for the race.

oh, and yesterday's double? Totally read the plan wrong - entered it into my calendar and recorded the whole week wrong. I decided to look again, and it was supposed to be a bike and strength, not a bike and swim. Anyway...felt really crummy yesterday and this morning, but starting to come out of it now. Today is just a 30 min run and strength.

Cheers everyone! Laundry calls!
2011-02-16 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Well, then lets talk compression. I know a little about it but don't actually own any compression garments but i did buy recovery tights for my husband. 

I think one of the more interesting developments with compression gear is the move to use it for recovery or after workouts to during training and racing.  I think that's where much of the debate will lay in the literature. 

I'll come back with more information!

Mylissa: have a great day - hope you enjoy that run after mixing up your workouts!
2011-02-16 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3354429

User image

Memphis
kpringle - 2011-02-14 12:55 PM My plan for this week:
Mon - rest day
Tues - 1 hour spin
Wed - 22 min swim
Thurs - 1 hour spin
Fri -  13 min run
Sat - masters swim
Sun - 22 min run

I had a massage this past weekend and the massage therapist that I saw apparently has a lot of experience with sports massage.  Somehow (based on my muscles?) she thought that I run with my left shoulder raised higher than my right and could use an insert in my running shoes b/c I don't have a very high arch in my feet.  She recommended I have an experienced runner watch my gait as I run to see if this is true.  She also told me that I should be doing some pectoral stretches to improve my posture.  All I wanted was a nice relaxing massage with no talking and I felt like quasimodo coming out of there!  She told me that all of these things could potentially lead to a run injury. 

What do you more experienced runners out there think about all this??  I've never had any injury from running, although I've never run long distances (more than 5 miles).  But now I'm really starting to enjoy this running thing, so don't want to take her recommendations too lightly if they're really valid.

kristen, you MIGHT be doing one of the same things mark says I do, when he runs behind me He says I drop my left shoulder and curve in too much. One of the girls on here said that she repeats to herself "stand up straight!" and I tried that today - think it helped! also, my PT gave me a stretch that helps with posture, it amounts to lining up your spine against a door jamb, and then stretching your shoulders back on either side of the door jamb. I try to do that before my swims, and it seems to help my shoulder pain. HTH!
2011-02-17 6:14 AM
in reply to: #3359225

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

thanks mylissa!  i'll give the door jamb stretch a try!!

Edited by kpringle 2011-02-17 6:14 AM

2011-02-17 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Hi All, how it's it going?

This week is a little wonky with my DH out on a ski trip.  I started to look up some info on compression clothing and should get something later today.  Let's start though, do any of you have any compression garments?

Keri, I know you do but you mentioned that you've hardly had a chance to use them

I bought my DH a pair of compression tights from 2XU that are geared for recovery.  He now even wears them when he's travelling and sitting for a long period of time.  From what i've read, initially compression socks were geared to help with recovery.  They improve blood flow and are actually based on the medical garments used - i know my uncle had them when he had his knees replaced.  But that has actually shifted and you'll see a whole host of people from the top pros to normal Age groupers wearing compression socks or sleeves (socks with no foot, easier to swim in, given the triathlon thing) during training and racing.  The science has been a little iffy on how much it helps during but definitely supports the recovery - and frankly, the use of them is really growing so there likely is something to it.

Personally, I know I could use a pair for my calves after a long bike or run ... and I am curious to try them out. I just haven't go so far as to actually buy a pair.

And if you know some brands, CWX has been making tights that have specific compression to deal with some issues for some time.  Have any of you tried them out? And all kinds of types of compression gear is hitting the market - shirts, tights, socks, sleeves, etc.
2011-02-17 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3357472

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
debbiereid06 - 2011-02-16 8:56 AM I would love to learn a little more about compression clothing as well. 

Hope everyone is doing good this week.  It has been quiet on the boards.  It took everything I had to get up and go this morning.  I am soooo tired today!  At least it is supposed to be 67 degrees here!!!  Woot, Woot!!!  I get to wear a skirt to work!  I love it, just wish it would stay this way.

Oh and I was down 2.2 this week at WW!  I was in shock!

Congrats on the 2.2, Debbie!!  That's great!
2011-02-17 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Hope everyone has a great weekend.  I probably won't be on for the rest of the weekend before heading to Vegas!!!
2011-02-17 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3360768

User image

Champion
Calgary
debbiereid06 - 2011-02-17 5:02 PM

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  I probably won't be on for the rest of the weekend before heading to Vegas!!!

Have a great trip.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35