BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-06-05 9:22 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by cdban66

Question for the Manatees

I am thinking about doing a ride that requires that we have bike lights because it goes through a blind tunnel "that will absolutely require a front light as riders will not be able to see which way is up when in the tunnel."   Suggestions?

I have nothing bright enough to help you. I think most of the MTB guys use Night Riders, which I suspect are pretty strong.

I flipped through this (http://reviews.mtbr.com/2014-mtbr-bike-lights-shootout-tunnel-beam-patterns) and it helped some.   As nice as the Lupine Betty is, I do think that $1115 might be a bit out of my price range.  I was kind of looking at the Light & Motion Urban 700 or one of the NiteRider Luminas.  The handlebars on my Domane are "think" so it will be key to have something that will both fit and stay put.

I'll ask Kingsley what he uses. They're so powerful I think his bike is going to explode every time he turns them on. And he's really cheap so they can't have cost much.

Wait!  You married someone who is cheap?!

Well, I guess that balances things out.

Just don't scare us by saying that he does not like PopTarts and cereal!

I'm actually super cheap, but not like him! He's amazing! Oh, and he will eat ANYTHING and he likes it. So easy. Easy, cheap, and fast.

You think I would part with any Pop Tarts or Lucky Charms? Even for him? Pffffft

I didn't think that you'd part with them, I was just questioning the compatibility of living with someone who disliked PopTarts and Lucky Charms.  I realize that it could be a strategy for getting more for yourself but the whole compatibility thing was troubling me.  I mean, it could put you into a PopTart hording situation.  Or a hiding situation and then who know what animal might find them!  As you can tell, bad thoughts were running through my head!  All-in-all, I'm relieved to hear that Kingsley is Pro-PopTart!

2014-06-05 9:22 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by tigrrrunsCurrent Training: Swimming 2x per week, strength training 3x per week and running 2-4x per week (depends on how much energy I have after working a 12 hour night shift). I have not started biking yet, although I have been spinning a few times. I have to get my bike fitted and tuned up, which I will do in a few weeks (it costs more to tune up a bike than it does to tune up a car)

If bike training is limited by a hesitancy to get out on the roads, I recommend finding a nice bike trail for weekend long rides, and then having a bike trainer you can ride on at home during the week.  I know I'm hesitant to get out on the roads.  The trainer allows me to get effective workouts in in a time effective manner.

2014-06-05 9:24 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

I am thinking about doing a ride that requires that we have bike lights because it goes through a blind tunnel "that will absolutely require a front light as riders will not be able to see which way is up when in the tunnel."   Suggestions?

I have nothing bright enough to help you. I think most of the MTB guys use Night Riders, which I suspect are pretty strong.

I flipped through this (http://reviews.mtbr.com/2014-mtbr-bike-lights-shootout-tunnel-beam-patterns) and it helped some.   As nice as the Lupine Betty is, I do think that $1115 might be a bit out of my price range.  I was kind of looking at the Light & Motion Urban 700 or one of the NiteRider Luminas.  The handlebars on my Domane are "think" so it will be key to have something that will both fit and stay put.

The Xeccon Spiker looks like it gives a good range for that price bracket.

p.s. Hi new pod members.
2014-06-05 9:24 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by tigrrruns I joined a health club, hired a personal trainer once a week and have re-taken up running (complete with really cute new shoes). 

Welcome Emily!

So basically, you're saying that you are in this for the shoes?

The shoes were also the part I was going to mention.  As Erin and I are also in this thing for awesome colorful shoes, I support Emily in her tasteful choice of gear.

I think we need pictures of the shoes... purely for analysis, of course.

I agree that Emily should post a pic of hers.  I've been thinking of doing a blog post to detail my current running shoes.

2014-06-05 9:30 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi Stevey! (high five)

Welcome, Emily! (hugs (cuz you are one compassionate, strong cookie) and a high five)

FAST FOXY, congrats on your speedy race!

2014-06-05 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Good to be back Miss Yanatee!

This weekend for me involves lots of driving... we've arranged a team at work to complete the 3 peaks challenge in the name of charity. Essentially the 3 peaks challenge is walking up and down the highest mountains in England Wales and Scotland within 24 hours. We have a team of 22 walkers (plus 3 drivers - one of which is me ) aiming to complete it.
So tomorrow we are loading up 3 minibuses and driving the 500 miles to scotland to start on Saturday night. They walk the first mountain 5pm-10pm, then we drive 6 hours overnight to Scafell Pike in England, starting as sun rises at 4am, before driving to Wales to climb Snowden (not the FBI guy) from about 1pm due to finish by 5pm (to complete the challenge)
Sadly i've drawn the short straw but am happy to drive in order to get it done, we've raised over £1000 for one of my least favourite charities (they are very very very aggressive at their own events for fundraising but they do good work - including helping a friend of mine)

2014-06-05 9:39 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by tigrrrunsCurrent Training: Swimming 2x per week, strength training 3x per week and running 2-4x per week (depends on how much energy I have after working a 12 hour night shift). I have not started biking yet, although I have been spinning a few times. I have to get my bike fitted and tuned up, which I will do in a few weeks (it costs more to tune up a bike than it does to tune up a car)

If bike training is limited by a hesitancy to get out on the roads, I recommend finding a nice bike trail for weekend long rides, and then having a bike trainer you can ride on at home during the week.  I know I'm hesitant to get out on the roads.  The trainer allows me to get effective workouts in in a time effective manner.

Another idea... I have a nearby industrial area that is free of cars on the weekend. I like to go down there and do laps to work on my bike handling skillzzzz

2014-06-05 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge

I'll ask Kingsley what he uses. They're so powerful I think his bike is going to explode every time he turns them on. And he's really cheap so they can't have cost much.

Wait!  You married someone who is cheap?!

Well, I guess that balances things out.

Just don't scare us by saying that he does not like PopTarts and cereal!

I'm actually super cheap, but not like him! He's amazing! Oh, and he will eat ANYTHING and he likes it. So easy. Easy, cheap, and fast.

You think I would part with any Pop Tarts or Lucky Charms? Even for him? Pffffft

I didn't think that you'd part with them, I was just questioning the compatibility of living with someone who disliked PopTarts and Lucky Charms.  I realize that it could be a strategy for getting more for yourself but the whole compatibility thing was troubling me.  I mean, it could put you into a PopTart hording situation.  Or a hiding situation and then who know what animal might find them!  As you can tell, bad thoughts were running through my head!  All-in-all, I'm relieved to hear that Kingsley is Pro-PopTart!

I'm seriously liking the random poptart there!

Is it better for Yanti to be married to someone who likes or dislikes? you see if Kingsley liked poptarts you may find them disappearing from the cupboard at inappropriate times!
2014-06-05 9:42 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Has duplicating oneself for a short period of time been invented yet?  I have too many things I want to do this weekend and I'm not sure I can fit them all in.

Sat: Pedal to Preserve 51 mile bike ride (just a charity, fun ride, not a race)  It has ice cream, 'nuf said!  I would be doing this with DH, his longest ride to date, and quite a few other folks I know will be there.  I've done this ride before in the  past, just not recently.  It's a ton of fun and, like I said, they have ice cream.

Sat: around noon, my fishie friend LT is heading to MD for the swim across the Chesapeake bay 4.4 mile race to be held on Sunday.  I want to go just to see her kick azz, but if I don't go it isn't a huge deal (for her) because she does have her parents and another friend who will be there to cheer her and hang out with her.

Sun: LT's swim, not sure what time we'd get home, I'm guessing early to mid-afternoon

Things I need to do that could happen on either day: finish putting plants in the garden, plant my flower beds, weed (yuck), clean the house.

I also feel like one of the days I should get my sister out on her kayak. She wanted to go last weekend but it fell through on her end.

I guess the biggest question mark is how long PTP will take and if I'd have time to do that AND go to LT's swim.  I could also send DH off to do the ride with the neighbor (E2) but I kinda wanted to be there with him.  I also don't want to push the pace just to get done in time because it really is a fun, leisurely day/ride.

AARRGGHHH!!!  Just venting, thanks for reading!

2014-06-05 9:43 AM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by SteveyD Good to be back Miss Yanatee! This weekend for me involves lots of driving... we've arranged a team at work to complete the 3 peaks challenge in the name of charity. Essentially the 3 peaks challenge is walking up and down the highest mountains in England Wales and Scotland within 24 hours. We have a team of 22 walkers (plus 3 drivers - one of which is me ) aiming to complete it. So tomorrow we are loading up 3 minibuses and driving the 500 miles to scotland to start on Saturday night. They walk the first mountain 5pm-10pm, then we drive 6 hours overnight to Scafell Pike in England, starting as sun rises at 4am, before driving to Wales to climb Snowden (not the FBI guy) from about 1pm due to finish by 5pm (to complete the challenge) Sadly i've drawn the short straw but am happy to drive in order to get it done, we've raised over £1000 for one of my least favourite charities (they are very very very aggressive at their own events for fundraising but they do good work - including helping a friend of mine)

That sounds soooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!! But I love relay-type races!  Sooooo Erin? Ragnar? Or is that too close to IMAZ for J?

2014-06-05 9:47 AM

User image

Denver, CO

We continue to be swimming in the law enforcement and legal fields ... I was going to say, I guess someone has to keep us in line, but who's gonna keep the legal eagle folks on the straight 'n' narrow?

Not it!!

Welcome, Emily.  I'm pretty darn familiar with mental illness and know how hard it can be on family members as well as those who have it.  So glad you joined us.   As you can tell, we're mostly harmless.  Looking forward to seeing those cute shoes.

Hiya, Kirk and Stevey.  Don't think I said that before - I've lost track!

Way to go, Tom!  Sounds like a heck of a race.

Yanti, that ski bunny Pop-Tart is the best!  So glad you and Kingsley won't have to fight over the Pop-Tarts and Lucky Charms (love both of those, BTW).  Would hate to think that such wonderful things could disrupt your marital bliss.  So when's the next wedding?

2014-06-05 9:52 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Has duplicating oneself for a short period of time been invented yet?  I have too many things I want to do this weekend and I'm not sure I can fit them all in.

Sat: Pedal to Preserve 51 mile bike ride (just a charity, fun ride, not a race)  It has ice cream, 'nuf said!  I would be doing this with DH, his longest ride to date, and quite a few other folks I know will be there.  I've done this ride before in the  past, just not recently.  It's a ton of fun and, like I said, they have ice cream.

Sat: around noon, my fishie friend LT is heading to MD for the swim across the Chesapeake bay 4.4 mile race to be held on Sunday.  I want to go just to see her kick azz, but if I don't go it isn't a huge deal (for her) because she does have her parents and another friend who will be there to cheer her and hang out with her.

Sun: LT's swim, not sure what time we'd get home, I'm guessing early to mid-afternoon

Things I need to do that could happen on either day: finish putting plants in the garden, plant my flower beds, weed (yuck), clean the house.

I also feel like one of the days I should get my sister out on her kayak. She wanted to go last weekend but it fell through on her end.

I guess the biggest question mark is how long PTP will take and if I'd have time to do that AND go to LT's swim.  I could also send DH off to do the ride with the neighbor (E2) but I kinda wanted to be there with him.  I also don't want to push the pace just to get done in time because it really is a fun, leisurely day/ride.

AARRGGHHH!!!  Just venting, thanks for reading!

Summer weekends are crazy like that! Tough choices! I am way overbooked as well but the toughest one is that I am supposed to serve breakfast at church on Sunday but I have an OWS with coach Andie!! I think I'll make the breakfast and let DH deliver it to church. I really really need to clean house SOMETIME because my dad is coming next weekend for Fathers Day!

2014-06-05 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
I ran 3 miles pain free this morning. I think my IT Band has calmed down from the race. Time to start building my fitness back. I'm signed up for the lottery for Houston Chevron Marathon so hopefully soon I get to start working towards my first open marathon.
2014-06-05 10:41 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by JJ- I ran 3 miles pain free this morning. I think my IT Band has calmed down from the race. Time to start building my fitness back. I'm signed up for the lottery for Houston Chevron Marathon so hopefully soon I get to start working towards my first open marathon.

Yay for pain free!!!!!!!!!! Have fun with that marathon training!!!!!!!!!!

2014-06-05 11:09 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by JJ- I ran 3 miles pain free this morning. I think my IT Band has calmed down from the race. Time to start building my fitness back. I'm signed up for the lottery for Houston Chevron Marathon so hopefully soon I get to start working towards my first open marathon.

^^^^^ x 2!!!

Melanie, I vote for ice cream and the fun ride on Saturday, then house stuff on Sunday.  Maybe kayaking Sunday too.  Watching LT would be fun but that's a lot of driving and not nearly as much fun as the ride with DH.  Leave out the weeding and house cleaning - you can always do that on other days a little at a time, maybe even some on Saturday if you're feeling guilty.

2014-06-05 11:11 AM

User image

Master

Yesterday at lunch! At this rate I'm going to be feeding him smoothies. We got busy playing checkers and Chutes/Ladders last night, and we totally forgot to put it under his pillow. Much to his chagrin, he remembered this morning. I had to assure him that the Tooth Fairy only comes when there's a tooth, so tonight would still be okay.

(20140604_130455.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140604_130455.jpg (60KB - 4 downloads)

2014-06-05 11:14 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Yesterday at lunch! At this rate I'm going to be feeding him smoothies. We got busy playing checkers and Chutes/Ladders last night, and we totally forgot to put it under his pillow. Much to his chagrin, he remembered this morning. I had to assure him that the Tooth Fairy only comes when there's a tooth, so tonight would still be okay.

Too funny! So with inflation what does a tooth go for these days?

2014-06-05 11:17 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Originally posted by laffinrock

^^^^^ x 2!!!

Melanie, I vote for ice cream and the fun ride on Saturday, then house stuff on Sunday.  Maybe kayaking Sunday too.  Watching LT would be fun but that's a lot of driving and not nearly as much fun as the ride with DH.  Leave out the weeding and house cleaning - you can always do that on other days a little at a time, maybe even some on Saturday if you're feeling guilty.

x3!

I'm afraid i'm a bit out of the loop on some of the acronyms - what is LT and DH?
2014-06-05 11:21 AM

User image

Master

Holy Cow! You guys have been chatty cathies. (I'm trying to act surprised)  It's going to take a bit to catch up...again. Seems we had more than Emily join the pod. Thanks, Janyne, for getting your manatee chart updated so quickly.

2014-06-05 11:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by SteveyD
Originally posted by laffinrock

^^^^^ x 2!!!

x3!I'm afraid i'm a bit out of the loop on some of the acronyms - what is LT and DH?

LT is Melanie's friend's initials. DH is Dear Husband (or some other d word depending on the mood)

Edited by rrrunner 2014-06-05 11:28 AM
2014-06-05 11:31 AM

User image

Master

His first tooth was on his birthday last week. Being extra special tooth (and I only had a $10 and two $1s),  when I told J to get some cash out of my wallet...

Taylor was wise with his money, though. He bought a road atlas. lol 

2014-06-05 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

His first tooth was on his birthday last week. Being extra special tooth (and I only had a $10 and two $1s),  when I told J to get some cash out of my wallet...

$12?!?!?!?!?!!?!? For a tooth?!?!?!?!?!!? Dang! I think my kids got $2, maybe $3. Of course that was about 20 years ago... damn I'm old

2014-06-05 11:45 AM

User image

Master

$12?!?!?!?!?!!?!? For a tooth?!?!?!?!?!!? Dang! I think my kids got $2, maybe $3. Of course that was about 20 years ago... damn I'm old

J left me the $2. Lol. Yesterday's tooth will be $2...not a first or a birthday. He'll be learning it's all downhill from here.
2014-06-05 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

J left me the $2. Lol. Yesterday's tooth will be $2...not a first or a birthday. He'll be learning it's all downhill from here.

Time to learn about the free market, kid. Supply and demand.....

2014-06-05 12:13 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Times have definitely changed!  I got a dime for each of mine.  Then my dad gave them all back to me as a wedding present when I got married.  He also gave me my belly button knot from when I was born.  Weirdest wedding presents ever!!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.