BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-11 7:25 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Asalzwed

My journey has taken a little detour with surgery and everything. Then, I got bit by a bug or something and have had serious wanderlust. I'm not joking. I have this desire to be out in nature that I just cannot ignore. So, I've been doing a lot of hiking and exploring. I still have run every day and my running fitness makes me able to cover a lot of ground but it hasn't been the kind of running (in combination with the surgery) that will product a HM I would love.

So, that being said, I decided to drop the summer HM and just launch right into marathon training then maybe do a HM about 6-8 weeks out from the actual marathon. I think that will be more helpful in terms of giving me feedback on my marathon training. 

I am racing in the regional 10K road championship this weekend, which will more or less kick off my marathon training. I'm still not totally where I want to be running fitness-wise, but it will be a good check in.

I'm going to multi-task marathon training and cross country racing. Cross country did some things for my running strength (mental and physical) that nothing else has replicated. So, hopefully I can harness that (and not burn out!) This is partially why I am giving myself a summer pass on my running and caving to my wanderlust. What I see happening is a hard cross country race (or practice) on Saturdays followed by long, marathon specific runs on Sundays.

I'm open to hear any feedback on this, too. But that's kind of where I am at right now. 

Excellent plan!  You really seemed to enjoy XC last year and I'm happy to see that you are planning to do it again this year. 

This is supposed to be fun, after all :-)

I like the idea too. There needs to be some room in the training schemes. I get that wanderlust too. That's exactly why I made the 8 hr trip last weekend to do some dinky non-standard race that no-one has really heard of before. It was out in the woods and along the shoreline of one of the great lakes I hadn't been to in like forever. Lots of opportunities to see waterfalls up there as well. Shorter midwest ones, but I'll take what I could get. Some of this off the path running may not seem to be *perfect* for building up to a marathon, but I think it still is helpful. It's still running and even more so it's taking care of you mentally. I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to continually just go from one marathon build to the next even if you took an appropriate amount of time to recover. The mental aspect is tremendous. You have to keep things fresh at times and you  have to do some things to make that so. The cross country season should help with that. It may not be quite *perfect*, but I think it brings a lot for you. Having a singular focus can be good for a time, but over a longer haul it can really burn you out.

Not that I really know but this sounds like a good plan to me too Salty. Like the others have said you have to look after your soul as well as your body.

2014-08-11 7:36 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
My goals for the summer (it is coming) is to do my first Oly in February at this point my aims for it are to do it in around 3:45-3:30 and to be able to run the entire run. I have a couple of other races scheduled but these are B races and are more to keep me motivated to train than anything else.

I also want to title at least 1 of our puppies in the next 12 months which is going to mean spending some time training and showing them (and learning how to do that).
2014-08-11 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK My goals for the summer (it is coming) is to do my first Oly in February at this point my aims for it are to do it in around 3:45-3:30 and to be able to run the entire run. I have a couple of other races scheduled but these are B races and are more to keep me motivated to train than anything else. I also want to title at least 1 of our puppies in the next 12 months which is going to mean spending some time training and showing them (and learning how to do that).

Both of those things sound good.  Best wishes for the Oly, and for the pup!

2014-08-11 8:43 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Dearest Manatees:

http://calmingmanatee.com/

You're welcome.  

2014-08-11 9:05 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Artemis

Dearest Manatees:

You're welcome.  

You have seriously contributed to manatee lore.  This should get bookmarked in a manatee something.

Everyone, go check this out.

2014-08-12 1:57 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Dearest Manatees:

You're welcome.  

You have seriously contributed to manatee lore.  This should get bookmarked in a manatee something.

This one is the best http://calmingmanatee.com/13

2014-08-12 6:50 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Melon Presser

Dearest Manatees:

You're welcome.  

That made me tear up. Dang.

2014-08-12 7:02 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good day everyone, it has been a few days and I've fallen a bit behind. So here goes:
Darren - Enjoy the time away!
TJ - I hope that you have stepped away from the unhappiness of a few days ago. Sometimes I think it is best to step back and take inventory of your life. I'm guessing that if you do so, you'll find some pretty awesome things going on, which just might help your frame of mind.
Ben - The Dairyland Dare looks pretty rough. Congratulations to you, my friend.
Janyne - I have no trainer wisdom to impart, except to say that I have a few guys that I ride with that swear by rollers. But as always, I am impressed with your drive and consistency.
Melanie - Welcome back from your travels. I'm sure you had a good time.
Salty - My goals are to simply put together more than 2 weeks of consistent training. And finish the landscaping in the yard. And not melt in the heat and humidity. Between your pics of PNW and Melanie's pics, I may have to reconsider my travel plans for next year. And feel free to float where ever the whim takes you. Even with wanderlust, you continue to run, and that will keep you prepared for anything like that 10K this weekend. We need not be focused and driven all the time. A little down time is good for the soul.
Mary - It may seem ambitious now, but it is much like eating an elephant. It doesn't matter how daunting, just keep going. Add a little more as time allows, make sure you listen to your body, rest & recover when you need it, and don't stop smiling. If possible, find time every week to work on the hip. Even if it is a few minutes every other day, focus on bringing it up to par with the rest of your body. And please let me know how the stair climb goes. Something like that has been in the back of my mind for a while now.
Erin - I'm glad to see I'm not the only one sweating through the outside runs. 
Kirsten - Take your time with that RR. Let it all marinate in your mind. I think that is the Manatee way 
Yanti - Congrats on the sir travel/crack score! I hope you, Mutti, Kingsley, and the rest of your family and friends are doing well.
Stacey - I hope that your summer plans come together for you. Both of those goals sound challenging to me.

2014-08-12 7:29 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
YIKES I have fallen behind like Chris but he did a MUCH better job of catching up than I did!

Question for you pod people - especially the ladies - Does anyone use a NONCUTOUT saddle on their tri bike? I've been through:
5 adamos
2 cobbs
2 Selle SMPs
1 Selle Italia
1 Terry

all cutouts and all have the same issue - actual bone bruising/pain on one side.

So yesterday I threw on my road saddle: an older model of this http://www.bontrager.com/model/08800

and viola. no pain. it wasn't all rosie but so much more tolerable!
2014-08-12 7:50 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Randee, one thing that may help is tilting the saddle. Try it nose down and, oddly enouh, some people have good luck with nose up. As a dude, I think that would NOT be helpful, but some folks like it that way. If you do this sort of thing, work in small increments. Remember that if the nose is too far down, you may end up fighting to stay on the seat due to sliding down. I think this is one part of the "seat search" that is often overlooked.

One aspect of the Adamo that I have found interesting is how very little of the seat I use when in an aero tuck. I am really far forward on it. Really far. It took a few rides to adjust (read that as toughen up) to that position, but now I am comfortable sitting there. YMMV, Good Luck!!!

2014-08-12 8:02 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by cdban66

Randee, one thing that may help is tilting the saddle. Try it nose down and, oddly enouh, some people have good luck with nose up. As a dude, I think that would NOT be helpful, but some folks like it that way. If you do this sort of thing, work in small increments. Remember that if the nose is too far down, you may end up fighting to stay on the seat due to sliding down. I think this is one part of the "seat search" that is often overlooked.

One aspect of the Adamo that I have found interesting is how very little of the seat I use when in an aero tuck. I am really far forward on it. Really far. It took a few rides to adjust (read that as toughen up) to that position, but now I am comfortable sitting there. YMMV, Good Luck!!!

believe me, I've tried everything! and the adamo is just out for me. I have to sit so far forward that I don't feel I have enough support so it's a no go.

2014-08-12 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

believe me, I've tried everything! and the adamo is just out for me. I have to sit so far forward that I don't feel I have enough support so it's a no go.

Oh, I get that, no doubt. I think it is funny how many people have such love for the Adamo's. And how many have the opposite feelings. It does engender strong feelings. But in the end, it is only a seat and if it doesn't work for you, try something else. There is something out there for everyone, and you are probably finding yours with the one you are on now. At least I hope so, since comfort will add speed for you.

2014-08-12 8:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK My goals for the summer (it is coming) is to do my first Oly in February at this point my aims for it are to do it in around 3:45-3:30 and to be able to run the entire run. I have a couple of other races scheduled but these are B races and are more to keep me motivated to train than anything else. I also want to title at least 1 of our puppies in the next 12 months which is going to mean spending some time training and showing them (and learning how to do that).

Awesomeness!  Both the tri stuff and the puppy stuff :-)

Regarding the title, conformation, obedience, agility???

ETA:  OK, agility + mastiff, maybe not so much!

Edited by jmkizer 2014-08-12 8:39 AM
2014-08-12 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Dearest Manatees:

You're welcome.  

This one is the best http://calmingmanatee.com/13

MONICA!

2014-08-12 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk YIKES I have fallen behind like Chris but he did a MUCH better job of catching up than I did! Question for you pod people - especially the ladies - Does anyone use a NONCUTOUT saddle on their tri bike? I've been through: 5 adamos 2 cobbs 2 Selle SMPs 1 Selle Italia 1 Terry all cutouts and all have the same issue - actual bone bruising/pain on one side. So yesterday I threw on my road saddle: an older model of this http://www.bontrager.com/model/08800and viola. no pain. it wasn't all rosie but so much more tolerable!

I use a Cobb saddle -- the V Flow Plus. 

2014-08-12 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Ear worm of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNwC0sp-uA4

Thanks, Salty!

2014-08-12 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Good day everyone, it has been a few days and I've fallen a bit behind. So here goes:
TJ - I hope that you have stepped away from the unhappiness of a few days ago. Sometimes I think it is best to step back and take inventory of your life. I'm guessing that if you do so, you'll find some pretty awesome things going on, which just might help your frame of mind.
Janyne - I have no trainer wisdom to impart, except to say that I have a few guys that I ride with that swear by rollers. But as always, I am impressed with your drive and consistency.
Salty - My goals are to simply put together more than 2 weeks of consistent training. And finish the landscaping in the yard. And not melt in the heat and humidity. Between your pics of PNW and Melanie's pics, I may have to reconsider my travel plans for next year. And feel free to float where ever the whim takes you. Even with wanderlust, you continue to run, and that will keep you prepared for anything like that 10K this weekend. We need not be focused and driven all the time. A little down time is good for the soul.
Mary - It may seem ambitious now, but it is much like eating an elephant. It doesn't matter how daunting, just keep going. Add a little more as time allows, make sure you listen to your body, rest & recover when you need it, and don't stop smiling. If possible, find time every week to work on the hip. Even if it is a few minutes every other day, focus on bringing it up to par with the rest of your body. And please let me know how the stair climb goes. Something like that has been in the back of my mind for a while now.
Kirsten - Take your time with that RR. Let it all marinate in your mind. I think that is the Manatee way 
Yanti - Congrats on the sir travel/crack score! I hope you, Mutti, Kingsley, and the rest of your family and friends are doing well.
Stacey - I hope that your summer plans come together for you. Both of those goals sound challenging to me.

Thank you for the dose of perspective

Fortunately I've recovered from the funk and am back (happily) to training. I think one thing the funk did, though, was make me think long and hard about doing an IM. If I miss out on Boulder while deciding well, that's one less decision

This morning Coach and I talked a bit about my priorities and that RnR HM trumps the sprint I have coming up in a few weeks. So he'll schedule me accordingly . Another decision I'll have to make by mid September will be whether to stay with Coach...

2014-08-12 9:28 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk YIKES I have fallen behind like Chris but he did a MUCH better job of catching up than I did! Question for you pod people - especially the ladies - Does anyone use a NONCUTOUT saddle on their tri bike? I've been through: 5 adamos 2 cobbs 2 Selle SMPs 1 Selle Italia 1 Terry all cutouts and all have the same issue - actual bone bruising/pain on one side. So yesterday I threw on my road saddle: an older model of this http://www.bontrager.com/model/08800and viola. no pain. it wasn't all rosie but so much more tolerable!

Sorry, I'm no help. I'm one of those Adamo lubbers...

2014-08-12 9:31 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Michael's bike has been added to the Manatee Bike Album.

2014-08-12 9:33 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

Thank you for the dose of perspective

Fortunately I've recovered from the funk and am back (happily) to training. I think one thing the funk did, though, was make me think long and hard about doing an IM. If I miss out on Boulder while deciding well, that's one less decision

This morning Coach and I talked a bit about my priorities and that RnR HM trumps the sprint I have coming up in a few weeks. So he'll schedule me accordingly . Another decision I'll have to make by mid September will be whether to stay with Coach...

Much like the Boulder decision possibly being made for you, I believe if you look deep into yourself, you'll find that you've made your decision on this as well...

2014-08-12 9:36 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I think that's what I want to try next.  I also need a bike fit, though, so I should probably talk to the fitter about what saddle is best. 

2014-08-12 9:38 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I think that's what I want to try next.  I also need a bike fit, though, so I should probably talk to the fitter about what saddle is best. 

All at the same time is a good idea indeed. How are you feeling after your recent mileage filled weekend? Everything back to normal now?

2014-08-12 9:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Dearest Manatees:

You're welcome.  

Love it!!  I got a chuckle out of this one:

Get it, girl.

And this one:  http://calmingmanatee.com/8

Edited by laffinrock 2014-08-12 9:40 AM
2014-08-12 9:46 AM

User image

Denver, CO

I'm sure you've addressed this but I'll throw it out there anyway.  I was getting significant discomfort on one side when my seat was just slightly twisted to the side.  I bumped it the other way a bit and it cleared right up.  Maybe you're just asymetrical and need to have your seat not exactly centered side to side?

2014-08-12 9:53 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by laffinrock

I'm sure you've addressed this but I'll throw it out there anyway.  I was getting significant discomfort on one side when my seat was just slightly twisted to the side.  I bumped it the other way a bit and it cleared right up.  Maybe you're just asymetrical and need to have your seat not exactly centered side to side?

unfortunately on my tri bike you can't mount the saddle askew - because if you could, I would and that would probably help! Thanks though

Sounds like so far I'm the only freak that doesn't like the cutouts!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 45024 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 39221 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 76017 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 52213 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 27587 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.